Buffer Buying-Advice

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Indianer
Archive Member

Buffer Buying-Advice

Post by Indianer »

hi, i don´t really know why the thread linked below is in another forum section... i am a bit audacious now and just link to it for more members to see it :) don´t be mad on me...perhaps we can delete this very thread here later on? Greetings!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16081
Last edited by Indianer on Wed May 24, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
losthelm
Archive Member

Re: Buffer Buying-Advice

Post by losthelm »

It may be a translation issue when it comes to tracking down a buffer in Germany.
The Dayton motors you posted lower down are 115 volt motors and may not proform well if your using a converter.
Using the standard 230-240 volt outlet will work better on the 115-230 volt motors you have posted.

Hopefully someone will be more familiar with the available options in Germany.
Wilhelm Smydle in the SCA

My Ebay Listings
My ETSY
tiredWeasel
Archive Member

Post by tiredWeasel »

Indianer, look for:
Schleifmotor, Schleifbock, Poliermotor, Polierbock - there are plenty of options in germany.

eBay is your friend, just make sure to watch out for the outlet - some motors use 400V.
Indianer
Archive Member

Post by Indianer »

Hello Sers,

thank you kindly for your advice! I did not consider any detrimental effects of using a converter. In case these might occur, i´d be reducing the lifetime or buying HP that do not show in the result. Thus, to avoid the risk, i´ll better spend money on a true baldor machine. Anyhow, can anyone confirm DAYTON models to work well?

tiredWeasel, thanks for these suggestions! I tried a few of these but found some more offers with "Schleifmotor". Still, sadly, most of what i find are older engines, heavily used they appear and not forcibly trustworthy anymore. Also, the bigger ones start getting expensive soon... The buffers on the German Amazon do not look too bad at the first glance, bur i have been advised not to use them.

Still, translation has been a BIG problem, so thanks a lot for your help Weasel :)

Now i need to decide if the Baldor 407B is worth the 300 bucks extra...including customs. Opinions...? o0

Looking forward to read you! :)
tiredWeasel
Archive Member

Post by tiredWeasel »

Well, you know a buffer is just build like a dynamo. So... "old" doesn't mean "bad". It's just a copper coil and some coal brushes - plus a shaft that runs in a bearing.
Indianer
Archive Member

Post by Indianer »

Hello Folks!

I want to polish armor, deburr sheets, rough-grind forged blades.

I may have finally found a simple, heavy buffer like that Baldor machine that i have been using as reference.

This is it. 2PS, 10'' Wheel, 2850rpm, 50 pounds, 230V (German grit). Sounds all nice. Might be able to attach that Expander wheel to it for deburring and rough grinding. The manufacturer is from the Netherlands and does not seem desperate to make a quick sale. Yay or nay?

Alternative is an English variable speed belt grinder with buffing wheel attachment and optional polishing (not grinding) belts. Expensive, prolly prone to malfunction with the adjustable speed..seems like overkill.

Grateful for opinions!
Kristoffer
Archive Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Invest in a proper 50x2000mm belt grinder with a VFD. I bought mine from a guy called Marcin Jucha whom I found on Facebook. I can really recommend it, it is a good investment. You will however need a variety of wheels and addons for the grinder to allow it to do everything you want.

A buffing machine you can get used from Facebook Marketplace or whatever local sales sites are used where you are at. They tend to go at a reasonable price. Again, a proper machine with a floor stand is worth getting, the bench models are too under powered for my taste.

Video of my grinder being run here:

https://www.facebook.com/kristoffermets ... 0006980878
Kristoffer Metsälä