1580's Augsburg Cuirass

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Re: 1580's Augsburg Cuirass

Post by Johann ColdIron »

I agree completely. The fittings were probably more readily available as well. At least in armour producing cities.

Wish I was of a station where I could just chuck my broken armour at my man at arms and tell them to have it ready for the next tournament. But then I would have to clothe and feed them too...

It will be interesting to see how well they wear. Not much experience with case hardening so I am not sure how deep the wear surface is. I did a test piece that I may destructively file to find out. I am certain they could be bent with the right blow but more likely is that they would fail at the necked down shank that mounts to the hinge plate.

We will see if the retaining pins bend next practice now that the pegs are hardened. Pliers will be there this time!
John Cope/ Sir Johann ColdIron, Master- Order of the Laurel

I'm not dead yet!
Scott Martin
Archive Member

Post by Scott Martin »

Most case hardening is from 0.050"-0.010" thick (the depth of a deep scratch) which is actually a good thing, because the material under it will keep that hard surface from cracking.

I'm considering having some of my stuff commercially case hardened, which is generally up to 0.040" thick (so 14 ga thickness with the soak on both sides). If I do this I will see what can be done to keep penetration from the inside (a thin layer of clay is the traditional solution) particularly on the lighter materials.

Ugo used to have his helmets case hardened, because he could then work in mild steel, and then make them (tempered) carbon steel, but IIRC he had this done at one of the plants in Seattle that did aviation parts.

Scott
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Scott Martin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 am Most case hardening is from 0.050"-0.010" thick (the depth of a deep scratch) which is actually a good thing, because the material under it will keep that hard surface from cracking.

I'm considering having some of my stuff commercially case hardened, which is generally up to 0.040" thick (so 14 ga thickness with the soak on both sides). If I do this I will see what can be done to keep penetration from the inside (a thin layer of clay is the traditional solution) particularly on the lighter materials.

Ugo used to have his helmets case hardened, because he could then work in mild steel, and then make them (tempered) carbon steel, but IIRC he had this done at one of the plants in Seattle that did aviation parts.

Scott
Do you mean 0.005? That is the level I was picturing.

Commercial hardening to 14 ga/ 0.040 would be pretty significant!

Pretty sure Ugo uses Stack Metaurgical in Seattle. That was his suggestion for a Heat Treater so I went with them. I was very pleased with their work on this project.

I'm not dead yet!
Scott Martin
Archive Member

Post by Scott Martin »

Sorry, fumble fingers, and yes I missed a zero - 5 to ten thousandth's of an inch. Commercial "soaks" can do up to 40 thou, which (from both sides) is 80 thou, conveniently the thickness of 14 Ga.

I didn't know the specific supplier in Seattle, so that is useful to know now that I see him once a decade instead of once a quarter!

Scott
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Scott Martin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 pm Sorry, fumble fingers, and yes I missed a zero - 5 to ten thousandth's of an inch. Commercial "soaks" can do up to 40 thou, which (from both sides) is 80 thou, conveniently the thickness of 14 Ga.

I didn't know the specific supplier in Seattle, so that is useful to know now that I see him once a decade instead of once a quarter!

Scott
I figured. Decimal stuff always hurts my brain. But better than metric :P

Fought again in the curiass. Getting better at putting it on. Less trouble attaching the arms now that I clearanced the spaulder holes and polished the pegs. No evidence of wear on them.

No interference between the arms and the curiass now. They worked very well. Also getting used to the weight. Popped the top left sliding shoulder rivet from a heavy blow. That one looked like it sheared. Replacing with one of Kristofers Swedish rivets with a slightly thicker shank. I suspect any in frequent impact areas will need replacement.

The big thing is getting used to fighting in a solid back and breast. It is very hard for me to breath after bouts. I've always been a belly breather when fighting so it feels very confining. Working on my chest expansion but it is my biggest challenge.

At some point I'll get pics. Keep forgetting once I am in armour.

I'm not dead yet!
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Finally got some pics at Ymir. Our first real in person event in a long time. Got to fight in it some with no issues after testing it at several fighter practices. I did learn at practice that I had to tweak one spaulder cause it was catching on the back plate during arm movement. Also replaced the cord I used to hold the hinged strap mount pin retainers with buff leather as the cord was wearing quickly.

Doublet based on Sir John Smythe's treatise. Padded in the area under the gorget to bear the weight of the cuirass and lightly fitted elsewhere. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=182287&p=2840225&hi ... e#p2840225
The pants are hooked to it with brass hooks from it's waistband to an eyelet band sewn into the Doublet waist. This allows the belt to be worn on the cuirass and not have my pants fall down!

Doublet made by Mistress Clare de Crecy. Pants by Mistress Katherine Maunsel. I appreciate their council and help making accurate clothing as a foundation for this armour. Both of Atlantia

I'm not dead yet!
Rene K.
Archive Member

Post by Rene K. »

very nice ! Thats a seldom seen period style and armour.
Those who find spelling mistakes are allowed to keep hold of them...

www.eysenkleider.com
Master armouring and historic replicas
www.freyhand.com
https://de.pinterest.com/kohlstruck/
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Thanks Rene, thanks for the feedback!

I know I'm a bit of an odd ball being as late as I am but its a time period I find fascinating and lets me play with folks who do early NC/VA history as well as European.

I'm not dead yet!