New Users - Please Read This!

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
JT
Editor

New Users - Please Read This!

Post by JT »

If you want to create an account on the Archive -- or if you recently have, and are waiting for an activation-link email...

Outgoing email from the Archive is often blocked by mail servers. I think it's because the email server says its name is the Archive, but the reverse IP-to-name lookup maps back to a Comcast biz-class server-name... so the receiving server says "ah... spammer... dump him!"

Regardless of the "why" though, the end result is that you create an account successfully, but you can't log into it or use it for posting because it hasn't been activated yet. And you can't activate it because you don't have the email with the link.

So, if you're in this boat, please email me -- jt 'at' armourarchive.org -- with your username, and the email address you used for your registration. I can manually go in and force the account to be activated.
(Note that if you appear to be a 'bot I may have a conversation with you, to try and make sure you aren't.) :)
-- jt --
Editor and part-time bottle washer: The Armour Archive

"Gules (though nearly purpure!) a bend sinister sable, fretted and cottised argent, in chief a bezant."
Galileo
Archive Member

Re: New Users - Please Read This!

Post by Galileo »

...since you didn't *lock* the thread from having replies...

I'm a bot!
Dia Mathessos, Dynamis

Member#71
JT
Editor

Post by JT »

A real 'bot would never admit it. No need for a conversation. :)
Scott Martin
Archive Member

Post by Scott Martin »

No really, Galileo's a bot (the sinister Cylon kind)

or was it a bend sinister? I always get those confused...
JT
Editor

Post by JT »

Woo Hoo! The situation should be fixed!!!! (I hope)

People should now get activation emails properly!

As a related side-effect, you should now start seeing emails if you ask for them as a way to stay updated with people replying to threads, and people sending you private messages, and anything else that involves the Archive sending out an email (to Gmail and various other mail servers).

For the record, it was a really, really, incredibly easy thing to do. I thought it was gonna be tough, which was making me procrastinate. Turns out there's an automated "click here" page on the InMotionHosting (the main Archive's hosting service) which identifies if changes are needed, and make the changes when you "click here."
human
Archive Member

Post by human »

awesome!
Tony