How to know the size of a pattern?

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
vw1262

How to know the size of a pattern?

Post by vw1262 »

Alright I'm a complete beginner--I'm planning to use the patterns on this site to start making some spaulders. However, all the patterns I see (in general) don't have any dimensions or measurements. Is the implication we make our own measurements? How do we use the patterns exactly? Print them out?

This sounds like a dumb question but I am confused.
Gordon Thompson
Archive Member

Re: How to know the size of a pattern?

Post by Gordon Thompson »

Take a measuring tape and put it against body part, imagine shape of the piece and you will get dimesions you should scale pattern to, more or less (you can always add a centimeter or two on a pattern to be safe, you can always trim it after shaping).
- "There's three of you, and only one of me. But that doesn't mean there are more of you. It's a mathematical paradox and an exception from the rule.
- What? What does that mean?
- That means *uck off. While you still can".
JT
Editor

Post by JT »

In general, the patterns on the Archive are shown on one (or more) 8.5x11" pages (i.e. a standard US sheet of paper).

However... just as you couldn't take a single pattern for a T-shirt and use it for all people, you can't use a single pattern for a spaulder (in your case) and have it fit everyone's shoulder. You will quite possibly need to enlarge or reduce it, and you might even have to "stretch" it more in one direction than another.

P.S. Not a dumb question at all. ;)
Kristoffer
Archive Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Build the pattern out of cardboard stock and try how it fits. Cardboard is cheap, fast to make iterations in and easy to mess around with in the comfort of your kitchen or living room.
Kristoffer Metsälä