Blackning with propane torch

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Ashfield
Archive Member

Post by Ashfield »

If I cant use the oven will it be ok with only oil , cause i cant really control the temperature.
Alexandre---
----Ashfield
Finnian

Post by Finnian »

Ive found that using a propane torch works very well for smaller pieces. But holding the piece with pliers or a vice can be counterproductive to an even finish as they act as a heatsink and you have to move your grip to heat the area that was in the jaws. Instead, I twist some coat hanger wire into a sort of cradle which is held in my vice. The piece rests lightly on top and I can get an even bluing. For larger pieces such as helms, its a simple matter to pre-heat my kitchen oven to 500 F and bake them for 10-15 minutes.

As for the oil to coat with afterwards, I use a towel soaked in olive oil (cheap bulk stuff is good) to rub the pieces down with. Organic oils such as vegetable oils and animal fats tend not to evaporate with heat as lighter petroleum oils do. And natural oils will bake down into a more flexible, varnish like coating where modern motor oils are designed not to.

Finnian
Willing Pell
Archive Member

Post by Willing Pell »

I've always just darkened the pieces with heat and the applied car wax. How does the hot oiled finnish hold up over time? Does it flake off when wacked? Trying to decide if I should use oil on my next project or not.
The artisan formerly known as Willing Pell, then Juan Santell and then Willing Pell again. Hey, Prince could do it, why not me?