PHOTOS: The Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Juhani
Archive Member

Post by Juhani »

Damn nice pictures, thank you, thank you!!

And now I have to ask, if you'd have any more pictures of those two wonderful gothic suits, which are seen in the picture named Gothic Harness #21.JPG ?
Justin Livio Guidi
Archive Member

Post by Justin Livio Guidi »

Here Greg, I want in on a bit of this - here are a few "HD" pictures for the more historically reconstructive insane... and these next few just so happen to also be the ones I accidently used flash on... oops. :lol:

All for now... It is quite late...

-Justin
- Conti Guidi -
chef de chambre
Archive Member

Post by chef de chambre »

Eirikr the Eager wrote:
chef de chambre wrote:The "early sallet" is in the catalog as a 'French' or 'Flemish' sallet, circa 1460-70
I wonder if there is a close relationship in design to the Coventry sallet??
Yes. The chief difference between the two is the Coventry sallet is a sallet with a 'demi-visor' (and likely for a retainer/archer, if one goes by how such things were doled out in the Howard books), while the Vienna example is what seems to be a higher quality sallet with a full visor.

There is some push to identify the Coventry sallet as being "English", in manufacture, but I remain unconviced - it has more features in common with armour seen coming out of the Low Countries - like it's odd turning of the edge to the inside.

There is absolutely no doubt however that the Coventry sallet was sold in England, and used in England - it used to hang in the St. Marys chapel, was used as a part of the annual fesitival celebrating the exploits of Lady Godiva (It was "peeping Toms" Sallet), and probably resided before that in the Town or Guild hall armouy - and it was most likely originally manufactured for sale in England, even if it wasn't made in England.
Ivo
Archive Member

Post by Ivo »

I´m hard pressed to name a source, but I remember this type being called Italian Export "alla Francese", in French style.
Sworn Member of The Order of Evil Authenticists and Secret Wisdom (Acolyte)
SIR ESME

Post by SIR ESME »

Hello!

@ Justin

Can you give more information about the first pic? I'm especially interested in the mail-item under the breastplate.
Has this been a shirt or a collar?

Many thanks and regards

Haiko