650 Effigies Analyzed (1300-1450)-Major Update!

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Kenwrec Wulfe
Archive Member

Post by Kenwrec Wulfe »

This is brilliant!

p.s. - Doug, check your PMs! ;)
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. -Aristotle
Duncan
Archive Member

Post by Duncan »

Well now that I know exactly what I'm doing with my persona this really helps me figure out what I need to do to get the look I want. Great job!
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Could I suggest perhaps using this in combination with other art and especially literature as it will make your persona/character a bit more 3 dimensional.

I agree that this is a spiffy project though.

RPM
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

RandallMoffett wrote:Could I suggest perhaps using this in combination with other art and especially literature as it will make your persona/character a bit more 3 dimensional.

I agree that this is a spiffy project though.

RPM
I think this project could incorporate well-executed (and firmly dated) examples of painings and other art in the same format for a truly rounded picture.
d-farrell2
Archive Member

Post by d-farrell2 »

I haven't looked at this in a while - but man, is it a handy little guide to some general trends. I like the presentation too.

good work!
'Prototype' is Engineer for 'I screwed this one up'

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother

-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

The 1372 effigy with the jack chain instead of rerebrace actually made my heart beat faster. Thank you for sharing it.
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

Tasha McG wrote:The 1372 effigy with the jack chain instead of rerebrace actually made my heart beat faster. Thank you for sharing it.
It just goes to show how much variation there really was out there. That whole effigy is highly detailed and filled with quirky little tidbits.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Archive Member

Post by James Arlen Gillaspie »

Umm... I'm a little confused. I don't see any 'jack chains' in the photo of the Gottfried von Arnsberg effigy, and I didn't when I went to Koln Cathedral and spent over twenty minutes looking at the old boy and making sketches and notes. ??
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:Umm... I'm a little confused. I don't see any 'jack chains' in the photo of the Gottfried von Arnsberg effigy, and I didn't when I went to Koln Cathedral and spent over twenty minutes looking at the old boy and making sketches and notes. ??
Isn't that thin metal bit on his upper arm the so-called jack chain? Or are you saying it doesn't count as that? Just curious; I'm still learning about this stuff.
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

I will echo Tasha - while I don't know that I would call the upper arm protection a jack chain, I'm also having trouble seeing it as a rerebrace due to its small size and somewhat curious form.

I think I like it, but I don't know what to call it ;)
Gavin Kilkenny
Proprietor
Noble Lion Leather
hardened leather armour and sundry leather goods
www.noblelionleather.com
James Arlen Gillaspie
Archive Member

I wouldn't call it a 'rerebrace' either :) I would call it a small, laced on reinforce designed to alleviate blunt impact trauma from side cuts, and I particularly like the way it is shaped a bit like angle iron to maximize its strength. I would call the things on the shins 'greaves in embryo'. Jack chains usually look like... chains. :wink:
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:I wouldn't call it a 'rerebrace' either :) I would call it a small, laced on reinforce designed to alleviate blunt impact trauma from side cuts, and I particularly like the way it is shaped a bit like angle iron to maximize its strength. I would call the things on the shins 'greaves in embryo'. Jack chains usually look like... chains. :wink:
Purely a terminology issue. I'd call it a jack chain or a splint. but since the lower arm falls into what I would splinted I thin Jack chains works perfectly well. Nevertheless he has some cool gear!
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:I wouldn't call it a 'rerebrace' either :) I would call it a small, laced on reinforce designed to alleviate blunt impact trauma from side cuts, and I particularly like the way it is shaped a bit like angle iron to maximize its strength. I would call the things on the shins 'greaves in embryo'. Jack chains usually look like... chains. :wink:
ahh.. we are looking at a German effigy ... so the English translation of the German name for that piece might well be "piece of hammered metal that goes on the upper arm to protect it" :lol:

In any case, I need to spend some time looking at more pix of this particular effigy. It's got some inspirational potential.
Gavin Kilkenny
Proprietor
Noble Lion Leather
hardened leather armour and sundry leather goods
www.noblelionleather.com
James Arlen Gillaspie
Archive Member

I tend to be very 'Blair' in my terminology. He is very restricted in how he uses the word 'splint', for instance. I would agree, though, that the piece in question seems to meet the dictionary definition of 'splint', only in this case a piece set along a bone to PREVENT it from being broken!
Sigifrith Hauknefr
Archive Member

Post by Sigifrith Hauknefr »

Awesome work. I will put out a plea for 13th Century effigy "anecdotes".
There are two questions one can look at here - statistically when did different forms of armor become common, but another question is "what is the EARLIEST" appearance of armor bit X.

This is helpful for us trying to put together 12th/13th century kits that are SCA-legal.
Dont preach fair to me, i have a degree in music. - Violen
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

Sigifrith Hauknefr wrote:Awesome work. I will put out a plea for 13th Century effigy "anecdotes".
There are two questions one can look at here - statistically when did different forms of armor become common, but another question is "what is the EARLIEST" appearance of armor bit X.

This is helpful for us trying to put together 12th/13th century kits that are SCA-legal.
I could pull together a chart for before 1300 but it would essentailly be all mail
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

I have a few of the 13th 'trailblazers' if you will with the first couters and poleyns I know of but as Doug said it would by far be a chart of mail.

RPM
white mountain armoury
Archive Member

Post by white mountain armoury »

Kilkenny wrote:I will echo Tasha - while I don't know that I would call the upper arm protection a jack chain, I'm also having trouble seeing it as a rerebrace due to its small size and somewhat curious form.

I think I like it, but I don't know what to call it ;)
What you cant see is his greave is of the same form as the upper arm "splint"
I prefer kittens
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

RandallMoffett wrote:I have a few of the 13th 'trailblazers' if you will with the first couters and poleyns I know of but as Doug said it would by far be a chart of mail.

RPM
There are a handful of early bits and pieces but the vast majority would be mail for all parts of the body.
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

I know.... that was what I said. :wink:

RPM
Milos N.
Archive Member

Post by Milos N. »

Doug,
I was unable to find any effigie-like sculptures within 300 miles from here, except on two sites, (Bobovac - mid 15c. and st. Arhangeli near Prizren - c.1355. no armour) all smashed to bits and the photos I was able to get were too poor to use - though there is a graphic reconstruction of Stefan Tomash's effigy. I'd post that, but I can't make any claims as to the qualiy of the reproduction. Effigies were quite uncommon in medieval Serbia and Bosnia as from 12.c. onwards sprung a local type of grave stone (some as large as 10x6x6ft) called stećci or mramorje, with either fine floral or architectural ornaments or rather sketchy figural ones. They spread from western Bosnia all the way over Morava river in Serbia, with many regional differences.

You might expect some effigies in now days Croatia, most likely west of Omish (Omiš). I'll take the liberty of quoting myself.

You might have this one, but I might be wrong, so here this effigy-like sculpture of Roland (Orlando) c.1418/1419 in Dubrovnik, CRO. It is commonly accepted that it was a gift from one of the Italian states.

http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/Build ... il/621.php

I was able to find some hi-res pics on Photobucket or Imageshack, but my google-fu is failing me this time.
If you find anything wrong in your life, know that it is your own fault.

http://belgradearmourer.deviantart.com/
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

RandallMoffett wrote:I know.... that was what I said. :wink:

RPM
I was agreeing with you.
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Sorry... my bad. :(