IWTB Irish in the Viking Invasion era (9thC +)

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Chuklz
Archive Member

Re: IWTB Irish in the Viking Invasion era (9thC +)

Post by Chuklz »

Aw ye lads are making me look slipshod and lazy. I scored some quality armor and fell outside my goal timeperiod. Time to buy some new fabric and make a fight'n leine.

I love THL Lorccan's idea of faux cuffs. The Outlands can get too hot. I earned my AoA in 105F+ heat.

Do you suggest a rough length, that is readily replaced, or something sturdy that will perhaps survive more than one year?

Post by Chuklz »

By the way,
you lads should look up the Claíomh reenactors group. Its later in period that this thread we are discussing, but I've read and reread from multiple sources that the Irish became rather anachronistic. Late to pick up mail armor, then reluctant to move on from it, there were Irish Gallowglass still active in the same helms and mail when other armies were firing muskets at each other.

Here's the Claíomh Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaiomhLivingHistory
Here's their home url: http://www.claiomh.ie/

Look at the photos, and if you spot John Fay, look at his Inar! Gorgeous little leather jacket! I want to make one!
Location: Memphis, TN / Barony of Grey Niche, Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

Post by Lorccan »

Chuklz wrote:Do you suggest a rough length, that is readily replaced, or something sturdy that will perhaps survive more than one year?
I would definitely go for sturdy, because it's going to get most of the wear and tear (fighting on my knees is where almost all the damage to my fighting garb comes from). It would make sense to go with a fabric that's not too fancy, though, and not to put a huge amount or work into it. Make the (false) under layer plain, and the outer layer fancy.
- Sir Lorccan hua Conchobair
Former armourer at Darkwood Armory, now just armouring a bit for fun.
"I've schlepped ugly gear about the field. It does not inspire -- not me, not anybody. Better to try and make it pretty." - Konstantin the Red
Lorccan
Archive Member
Location: Memphis, TN / Barony of Grey Niche, Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

Post by Lorccan »

956 AD Irish minor lord, Gaelic with Scandinavian influences.
An update on my kit, as of last Saturday. New helm, mail, gorget, shield, and gauntlets.
You can't see it in these, but my gorget is covered by a mail standard; I made the gorget, but the mail shirt and standard are from Darkwood Armory.
The next big change coming will be much more detailed and attractive shields. Eventually, the helm will be replaced with a new one; the top and ocular will be similar, but some brass embellishments will be added, and everything below the brow band & ocular will be covered with mail.
Obviously, the helm is a hybrid of the Valsgarde 5 and Vendel 14 helms, with a helping of creative anachronism; I just can't stand bar grilles, and this was a way to avoid one, without mail. It's earlier than my persona, but the scarcity of Viking-Age helm finds remains a pain in the butt, and this was more fun than the Gjermundbu helm. The locking cheek system was fun to work out; a little tedious, since I had to weld the chin tabs to the cheek plates in just the right spots while holding the whole mass in place, but not as difficult as I thought it might be.
It is entirely welded, not riveted, because I planned to add pressblechs, crest, brows, & nasal of brass/bronze over time, and I didn't want to have to work around a bunch of rivets heads!
- Sir Lorccan hua Conchobair
Former armourer at Darkwood Armory, now just armouring a bit for fun.
"I've schlepped ugly gear about the field. It does not inspire -- not me, not anybody. Better to try and make it pretty." - Konstantin the Red
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

That's a damn fine kit
branmacairrt

Post by branmacairrt »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 403&type=3
Three years since my original post so here are my upgrades to date with new ones stating soon