Pennsic House

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

wow

my camp sucks
gandi
Archive Member

Post by gandi »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!
deflagratio
Archive Member

Post by deflagratio »

Gentlemen, I do believe the bar has left Earth's orbit.

Did you have any kind of doors or curtains for the lower floor?
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

There are no doors or curtains for the lower story. The house will definitely be up next year! Glad you all enjoy it, even if just from the photos. Next year you all have no excuse not to get down to the casa and check it out if you're at Pennsic. It's worth the while.

-Gerhard
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

Living well is the best revenge!

Thomas
Steve S.
Archive Member

Post by Steve S. »

Astounding.

Steve
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

If there is no enclosure on the first floor -- what are the security protocols to prevent someone from walking by and snagging something day or night?

ANd, on a related note, if it is being kept at Cooper's Lake, what are the provisions to close it up and keep critters (and squatters) out?

Gaston, I'd love to see blueprints/diagrams on this thing. It gives me all sorts of evil ideas.

Effinghmwahaha
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Effingham wrote:If there is no enclosure on the first floor -- what are the security protocols to prevent someone from walking by and snagging something day or night?

ANd, on a related note, if it is being kept at Cooper's Lake, what are the provisions to close it up and keep critters (and squatters) out?

Gaston, I'd love to see blueprints/diagrams on this thing. It gives me all sorts of evil ideas.

Effinghmwahaha
It all breaks down and is currently at my shop. I brought it back for some improvements and tweaks. But next year it will be stored in a trailer on site. It sets up fast and breaks down fast, so there is no need to leave assembled. (Everything you see in these shots fits into a 22’ trailer.)
As for someone coming in, we are in a secure camp and against the lake, so it would be difficult for unwanted visitors to gain access.
As for the drawings, all of them are here on this thread.
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

Wait -- it BREAKS DOWN?

Holy... um....

Well, that would explain why it looks like your "trailer" (for such I thought it was) was sitting on the ground instead of 10" in the air on wheels.

Damn.

Must. See. Plans. :)
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Effingham wrote:Must. See. Plans. :)
As he said... All of the plans are posted in the first post of the thread... There weren't a ton of drawings done. The details of the assembly can easily be recognized by tracking through the thread and seeing the construction details in the dozens of photos he took during the process of making the house.

It's a fabulous piece of work, and the two of us were able to tear it down from finished to nil in about eight hours. Putting it up is a different story, but with some tweaks Gaston has planned for next year it'll be a much easier process. Overall, the only hard parts about the build when you've only got two or three guys are holding the larger pieces (such as the 8x8' wall panels) in place while trying to secure them, or lifting the heavier objects (such as the second story rafters) onto the upstairs and putting them in place. With two people the process is rather slow and tiresome, three's manageable - and what we worked with typically throughout the build, and more than that would make it cake for a day's work from start to finish.

-Gerhard
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Effingham wrote:Wait -- it BREAKS DOWN?

Holy... um....

Well, that would explain why it looks like your "trailer" (for such I thought it was) was sitting on the ground instead of 10" in the air on wheels.

Damn.

Must. See. Plans. :)
As far as keeping things on site, Eff, it's 120$ a year, and they hide em way back in the fields. My friend just screws plywood over the doors and windows, but I know something as simple as a hasp lock and hook-eyes on the shutters has kept other people's stuff safe over the years.

Its' stored on the property, back behind trailer parking.. nobody even GOES there, let alone to squat. Plus they park em pretty snug with each other.
Donal Mac Ruiseart
Archive Member
Location: North Frontier, Barony of Marinus, Kingdom of Atlantia (Norfolk, Virginia USA)

Post by Donal Mac Ruiseart »

Considering that the first floor is almost totally open, how do you secure it against weather, like rain blowing in? It seems that it would be very vulnerable if the open side is to windward.
Donal Mac Ruiseart O. Pel
Squire to Viscount Tojenareum Grenville (TJ)

Be without fear in the face of thine enemies
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee
Speak the truth always even if it means thy death
Protect the helpless and do no wrong
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Donal Mac Ruiseart wrote:Considering that the first floor is almost totally open, how do you secure it against weather, like rain blowing in? It seems that it would be very vulnerable if the open side is to windward.
We had a number of storms and there was very little rain on the floor. I will make shutters to put in the openings, but this year, we never needed to close it off. Upstairs I have curtains, but again, never needed to close them. When it rained, the floor got a little wet, but the upstairs table cloth was dry. The wood floor is heavily urethaned on both sides, so it can get a little wet and not suffer.
As for set up, the ideal crew would be 4. It can be done with 2, but as Gerhard pointed out, it gets a little tiring. Although the roof beams are not really very heavy. I can carry 2 of them one in each hand. But because they are nearly 14’ long, they are awkward to handle by yourself.
With a couple of corrections (A last minute misunderstanding with some of the fabrication help resulted in some wall panels being too long) and some tweaks, the house should easily go up in a day with a crew of 4.

Effingham,
As I posted and Gerhard pointed out, all the drawings I made for this are posted earlier on this thread. I didn't need complete "blueprints". However if you have any specific questions, I will be glad to share what I did.
Guy Dawkins
Archive Member

Post by Guy Dawkins »

Murdock wrote:wow

my camp sucks
My camp is now siting in a corner and crying.
Guy Dawkins
Barony of Ayreton
Kingdom of the Middle
This whole mad slide into hell started when we let California have it's own pizza.
Honor virtutis praemium

Post by Steve S. »

Well. Who the fuck wants to camp in something as measly as a canvas pavilion now?

:)

Steve
SyrTheo
Archive Member

Post by SyrTheo »

Totally and completely astounding Sir!

So, what would you do to make a Longhall in the same vein as this house?

Cheers, EikBrandr
Snaebjorn Hakonarson
Archive Member

Post by Snaebjorn Hakonarson »

SyrTheo wrote:Totally and completely astounding Sir!

Cheers, EikBrandr

Ooo! Good question!

Yes Chris. How would you make a longhall like this? *grins*
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

SyrTheo wrote:Totally and completely astounding Sir!

Cheers, EikBrandr
:shock: Sounds like a challenge . . .
Fearghus Cochrane
Squire to Baron Gareth Nicodemus Somerset OP, OL, KSCA

"propterea accipite armaturam Dei ut possitis resistere in die malo et omnibus perfectis stare"
Steve S.
Archive Member

Post by Steve S. »

There are numerous manufacturers these days of artificial thatched roof shingles.

Endureed is one.

I would think it would be relatively easy to make one.

Would be cool to make out out of a shipping container and then just haul it on a flat-bed truck. :)

Steve
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

I helped a friend design a Viking house a number of years ago. He started it, then quit and never went back to it. I was disappointed as I thought it was going to be very cool. Being involved with many amusement park projects, I have samples of various "fake" building materials, one was thatching. It was going to be sewn to canvas and using a rope edge, worked into a "C" channel strip on the main rafters. Much like an RV awning.
Tracy Justus
Archive Member

Post by Tracy Justus »

The casa is as splendid as I hoped it would be. I have a question: how are the floor panels connected to each other, and how are the walls connected to the floor?

Tracy
Glaukos the Athenian
Archive Member

Post by Glaukos the Athenian »

:shock:

Holy smokes...

Glaukos the Athenian
Squire to Sir Guy Lestrange

Benedictus dominus Deus meus, qui docet manus meas ad proelium, et digitos meos ad bellum.
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

It's kind of annoying when some people camp better than I live. ;)
Steve S.
Archive Member

Post by Steve S. »

lol Eff.
Benedek
Archive Member

Post by Benedek »

Effingham wrote:It's kind of annoying when some people camp better than I live. ;)

It's a summer house, in no way is that camping.....it's much more awesome than that.
Revenge is a matter of style.
Rayner
Archive Member

Post by Rayner »

It's kind of annoying when some people camp better than I live.
This
Reject passivity,
Accept responsibility,
Lead courageously,
Seek God's greater reward.
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Benedek wrote:
Effingham wrote:It's kind of annoying when some people camp better than I live. ;)

It's a summer house, in no way is that camping.....it's much more awesome than that.
That was precisely the idea I had when I built it. That is what it felt like to wake up, look past my feet and see that lake in the morning sun. (which rises behind the house, so as not to wake you too early.)

To raise money for Casa Bardicci, I was considering, at next Pennsic, auctioning off (Or perhaps a raffle) a romantic evening for two in the house with a dinner and breakfast. How does this sound to folks?
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Tracy Justus wrote:The casa is as splendid as I hoped it would be. I have a question: how are the floor panels connected to each other, and how are the walls connected to the floor?

Tracy
The floor is "free floating" over a steel sub frame and the walls attach to the 4x4 uprights. These 4x4 upright are bolted into the sub frame.
Jehan de Pelham
Archive Member

Post by Jehan de Pelham »

Mr. Gilman, you live the good life. Hat's off to you.

Best,

John
He who does not give what he has will not get what he wants.
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

Chris Gilman wrote:
To raise money for Casa Bardicci, I was considering, at next Pennsic, auctioning off (Or perhaps a raffle) a romantic evening for two in the house with a dinner and breakfast. How does this sound to folks?
Great Idea, but with the number of potential interested parties, you might be better with a /raffle rather than an auction. 1-2k tickets at $1 each?
You could also set it up well in advance, flogging them online.
You'd sell a shitload.
The only downside is the transactional administration cost.
"Proecce ne Suffit" - Prowess is not enough

Work: https://www.bespokepewter.com
Words: http://forsooth.pbworks.com
Pewter research: http://pbsn3.pbworks.com
Alissenda

Pennsic House

Post by Alissenda »

Robert of Canterbury wrote:
Chris Gilman wrote:
Sounds fabulous! Whether you do it as an auction or a raffle, I'm sure it could raise quite a bit of money. I know I, for one, have been imagining waking up to that glorious lake view with my husband and 'taking coffee on the loggia', even if it is a decidedly New World beverage. You've built something that just inspires dreams. Thank you so much for sharing the process and the photos.

I was sorry to hear of your injury assembling the Casa, Chris, and hope you're better now.

Warm regards,
Alissenda
Karen Larsdatter
Archive Member

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Robert of Canterbury wrote:Great Idea, but with the number of potential interested parties, you might be better with a /raffle rather than an auction. 1-2k tickets at $1 each?
You'd sell a shitload.
And, er, Pennsylvania's laws on raffles.
Larsdatter.com: read the linkspages, and follow me on Facebook & Tumblr.
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

in re reading this thread

"Murdock wrote:
wow

my camp sucks"

"My camp is now siting in a corner and crying. ""

I must add that i do believe that is nicer than my house and possibly bigger
Proxus
Archive Member

Post by Proxus »

I just made my first mortgage payment of $2000 on a 3 bed one story home in Lakewood.

I feel like such a fool, I am depressed beyond expression.

Any plans to bring this to GWW this year to work out those tweaks and kinks Chris? :)

Crying with envy.

I salute you sir....well done.
Patraic O'Ceallaigh
Baron of Lyondemere

If you are not having fun you aren't doing it right! :)
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Karen Larsdatter wrote:
Robert of Canterbury wrote:Great Idea, but with the number of potential interested parties, you might be better with a /raffle rather than an auction. 1-2k tickets at $1 each?
You'd sell a shitload.
And, er, Pennsylvania's laws on raffles.
I should have figured that, given the states wacky liquor laws... :roll:
Well perhaps something else.

As for GWW, I don't think so, I think this is a Casa Bardicci, Pennsic house. I don't see it looking as good anywhere else.

I was asked if I would be willing to host/ teach a Pennsic class on how to build such things, but I not sure what I could teach, as there is so much going on with the techniques in the house, I wouldn't know where to start and what people would be able to do "at home".