Pennsic House

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

Post by freiman the minstrel »

I think that Gavin's suggestion about letting the Cooper's know is a good one. I don't know any of them well enough to suggest such a thing.

My suggestion about the inspectors (until I read Gavin's) was "Don't worry about it. I don't see any Pennsic Building Inspectors having a problem with anything at Bardici unless there was something truly Heinous going on.

f
Act Your Rage
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Made some progress on the house.
Here is the construction of the main joists. I have a 5/8" plywood rib down the center and the height has been increased from 5 1/2" to 6 1/2"
[img]http://www.globaleffects.com/Temp/MainJoists21.JPG[/img]

I have the second story floor structure almost complete. I just need to cast some more short beams.
I'lll drill the 4x4's and add the threaed inserts so I can stand this up this week.

This is the second floor structure. (missing some of the short beams.)
[img]http://www.globaleffects.com/Temp/MainFrame38.JPG[/img]

This is the number of beams each section will get.
[img]http://www.globaleffects.com/Temp/Floorjoists51.JPG[/img]

Here is the view from the first floor looking at the ceiling. (I should look much better with the graphics and paint work)
[img]http://www.globaleffects.com/Temp/ceiling48.JPG[/img]

Corner brackets.
[img]http://www.globaleffects.com/Temp/CornerBracket43.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.globaleffects.com/Temp/CornerBacket44.JPG[/img]

Side (2x10 join) bracket.
[img]http://www.globaleffects.com/Temp/midBracket47.JPG[/img]

The whole frame goes together with a ratchet and a single socket.
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

When I built the "Viking Condo Mark I" it was held together with lag bolts and at one Pennsic we had a race between my old college roomate with a battery driver and me with a brace that had a bit that fit on 1/2" drive sockets.

The brace won hands down not the least for the fact that it was easy to snug the lags all the way down with it---tons of torque

You may want to look into finding a good brace and a bit that will drive sockets...

(Mark II used pegs and counter pegs; much easier to assemble.)

Thomas
Snaebjorn Hakonarson
Archive Member

Post by Snaebjorn Hakonarson »

Thomas- would you be willing to either post a thread showing the Viking condo? I've been thinking of building a collapsible building for wars and I'd like it to look like a viking hall.

Chris. This building is freaking insane. I can't believe all of the work you're doing. It is amazing and I can't wait to see the finished pics. I'd love to see it in person but I doubt I'll be making war.

I thought what I was designing was advanced but yet again I have found evidence that I am nothing more than a simpleton who doesn't know jack! Thank you for it though because it is worth it.
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
Syrfinn
Archive Member

Post by Syrfinn »

looking forward to seeing it up close at Pennsic. Some of my guys camp at the lake, so will drop by.
Finn O'Shannon KSCA
AEthelmearc
"In each of us are Two Wolves. One Good, One Evil. Which one do you feed most?"
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

This'll be fun...
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Ooooooooh.....:shock:

Can't wait to see this one done...

Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Snaebjorn Hakonarson
Archive Member

Chris. You wouldn't have an update with more pics for those of us waiting to see this beauty would ya?
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

I have been keeping a log on my Face book page. But here are some highlights:
The floor structure:

To hide the modern metal brackets and the 2x10"s as well as give the proper period look, I made corbels cast in urethane and faux beam covers:

They where molded with RVT silicone and cast using a combination of a rigid urethane plastic and a urethane foam:

Here is a "raw" part fresh from the mold. (They will get a scenic job to make them look like wood)

I also built the stairs:

This weekend I also got the windows assembled:

About 2 months left...work, work, work.....

But, when it's done There will be a house warming party and the Archive members are invited.
Bleddyn De Caldicot
Archive Member

Post by Bleddyn De Caldicot »

:shock: SO COOL! :shock:
Snaebjorn Hakonarson
Archive Member

Dammit! Now I'm really wishing I could make war this year. This is looking to come along pretty damn nice and I'm wishing I had this kind of skill and equipment to do this work.
Thorgrimr
Archive Member

Post by Thorgrimr »

I will HAVE to come see this...
Thorgrimr Thorgrimsson
Squire to Sir Diglach mac Cein

My YouTube channel, Budget Guns and Gear Reviews:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqfbTQt46azek8baT_zBLGw
Galvyn Lockhart
Archive Member

Post by Galvyn Lockhart »

Super impressive! 8)

Really very cool. Especially love the corbels and windows right now.
Galvyn Lockhart
KSCA / KMSR
MKA - John Mertz
----------------------------------------------------
... like a monster crossing the Hudson River.
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

It has been awhile since I have posted anything. Here is the current exterior:
The columns still need to be painted white and the bases installed. The wood above will be covered when the second floor is on.

Here is the interior. The walls are still plain white plastic, they will get textured and painted an off white or light yellow. The windows are done and the fireplace needs it's "cover" to block the opening for summer. and the back wall needs painting.

Here is a close up of the windows. Both windows will get bars.

Again, all surfaces will get scenic paint work to make the house look lived in.
Currently, it only requires 3 tools, a socket wrench, a flat blade screw driver and an allen key to assemble the whole house.
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

Man....

I want you to build *MY* Pennsic house.

Effingham
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
lorenzo2
Archive Member

Post by lorenzo2 »

That is quite a remarkable house you are making! I am really impressed that you included a fire place as these are in so many medieval paintings. How will the fireplace work? I mean will it be just decorative or will there actually be some sort of fire in it and how can that be done safely?
Jestyr
Archive Member

Post by Jestyr »

Amazing. Truly inspirational.
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

lorenzo2 wrote:That is quite a remarkable house you are making! I am really impressed that you included a fire place as these are in so many medieval paintings. How will the fireplace work? I mean will it be just decorative or will there actually be some sort of fire in it and how can that be done safely?
Thanks,
No it will not have a fire. I put it in, because these are so common in paintings. The fireplace will have a cover like was used in period to cover the opening in summer, when not in use. (Example seen here http://www.dl.ket.org/webmuseum/wm/pain ... annunc.jpg)
It is there so I can get to storage under the stairs.
Sean Powell
Archive Member

Post by Sean Powell »

You have put more effort into this temporary construction then I see in a lot of new permanent construction! :shock:

When are you setting this up and expect many visitors.

Pray tell do you have any estimate of how heavy this thing will be to transport? I think you are a bit past pulling a trailer with a family sedan.

Sean
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Well actually, there is much more work in this than if I was just to build a onetime use or permanent structure. There has been a great deal of engineering and special consideration in the construction and material choices, so this can go up and come down quickly and be reused many years.
Also, one of the goals was to make it light. I don't think this whole thing weights more than a 1500 pounds.
As for set up, the plan is to set it up on Sunday, the 1st. If all goes as planned, I think it should set up in 6-8 hours the first time, so I plan to spend 8 – 10 hours… :roll:
In fact, if anyone wants a firsthand look at how this goes together your welcome to come down to Casa Bardicci and help. :wink: I’ll have beer. :D
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

And can we talk about you doing more of these? 8)
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Chris, do you have any idea how much is invested in this project in time& materials? or are you afraid to do the math :shock:
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Snaebjorn Hakonarson
Archive Member

I really would love to see this in person. And please, do the math so we can know how much it would take to have one of these beautiful buildings built for us.

If I ever had the funds I would soooo be asking about that.
Sean Powell
Archive Member

Post by Sean Powell »

Chris Gilman wrote: In fact, if anyone wants a firsthand look at how this goes together your welcome to come down to Casa Bardicci and help. :wink: I’ll have beer. :D
I'm just up the road in E23. House Regnesfole and the Dominion of Myrkfaelinn. I'll try to swing by after we measure out the property lines Sat morning. Can't guarentie how much time I can chip in as I have my own stuff to deal with but I want to see the construction up close.

BTW, don't plan on doing personal setup until after the land is roped off which can take a few hours if people arn't prepared or one group is being a dick. The year all the Pirates joined Vlads camp and Casa Bardichi got booted to new land made the borders very chalenging. I'm very happy with how smoothly E23 allocates its land.

Sean
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

Woah... :shock:

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.
Andrew R. Mizener/Herr Andreas von Meiβen
Cadet to Warder Brighid MacCumhal
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Trystyn of Anglesey wrote:Love you mine Kingdom well and goodely, Sirrah or surely thye scrotume wilte knowe the roughe edge of mye foote.
Galvyn Lockhart
Archive Member

Post by Galvyn Lockhart »

:shock:

Love the addition of the painting. Makes it feel like a real home.

What's a good house warming gift for the guy that can either make it, or has it? I just wouldn't feel right stopping by to see this house w/out bringing a house warming gift.
Galvyn Lockhart
KSCA / KMSR
MKA - John Mertz
----------------------------------------------------
... like a monster crossing the Hudson River.
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

No presents needed, just your presence. :)
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

Oh! That is splendid. I won't be there early enough to set up, but I hope to come down and see it at some point. I wasn't going to bring my henin to Pennsic, but now I think I have to just so I can dress up for a visit. :D
Do you not know that in the service... one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Karen Larsdatter
Archive Member

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Chris Gilman wrote:I put it in, because these are so common in paintings. The fireplace will have a cover like was used in period to cover the opening in summer, when not in use.
Oo -- and then you can add one of those swing-arm candlesticks ... and a nice big settle with cushions ... :D
Larsdatter.com: read the linkspages, and follow me on Facebook & Tumblr.
Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Charlotte J wrote:Oh! That is splendid. I won't be there early enough to set up, but I hope to come down and see it at some point. I wasn't going to bring my henin to Pennsic, but now I think I have to just so I can dress up for a visit. :D
Yeah, we'd have to swing by properly dressed. ;)

Do you have furniture? Because I have some late 15th/early 16th pieces that'd be perfect here. And other furnishings? Fireplace equipment, pottery, assorted home decor... It's be great to dress it up with good furnishings and little necessary stuff for a Photo shoot.

You could rent this out for parties.
BONANZA!!!
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Chris you are insane!!! In a good way though. I wish I could see this in person. Amazing job.

We just need to figure some thing like this for the 14th century mafia.

RPM
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Karen Larsdatter wrote:
Chris Gilman wrote:I put it in, because these are so common in paintings. The fireplace will have a cover like was used in period to cover the opening in summer, when not in use.
Oo -- and then you can add one of those swing-arm candlesticks ... and a nice big settle with cushions ... :D
YUP! I won't have time to make them, but that is the plan.

As for furnishings..... paintings, pottery, table chairs, outrageous bed, lighting, and table and chairs for the balcony. Oh, and armour, I have some of that laying around.
Jeff, I would like to see some photos of your furniture.
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

we need someone to shoot a video of you setting out your getup followed by the tour :wink:
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Cian of Storvik
Archive Member

Post by Cian of Storvik »

I have to admit, it's not my period of interest and I'm happy as a clam in just a tent, but I love the work you've done in movies, and coming recently from the construction industry (commercial building and restoration estimator), I'm intrigued by your structural design. I'd really like to see it finished.
I was planning on being there for land grab and coming back for war week, but if you are grafting help, I'd consider staying Sunday to pitch-in and can possiby get a couple of Blackspears to pitch-in as well, if you need strong backs.
-Cian
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Anonymous
When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality. -Thomas Jefferson
Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Side-board type table

four Stools (from the Bouts image your fireplace is from)

Italian configured "Glastonbury" chair. I have two

And some pattens to toss into the corner

Last edited by Jeff J on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BONANZA!!!