Pennsic House

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Add A decent trestle table, Tablecloths from HE, some pottery from Eadric the potter, some pewter tableware from Billy & Charlie, Arab boy beakers, a few of the other high-end vendors,
BONANZA!!!
Jestyr
Archive Member

Post by Jestyr »

Jeff J: Your work is lovely.
Custom Chainmail!
Get custom-sized, flat-ring, riveted chainmail at a great price! www.customchainmail.com!

Email me at sales@customchainmail.com for more information.
Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Jestyr wrote:Jeff J: Your work is lovely.
Thanks.

BTW - in case anyone is wondering, No, I am not making this offer to drum up sales, 'cuz I'm not looking to sell this stuff, or take commissions. It's just that this set goes particularly well with the house and it would be so cool to set it up together.
BONANZA!!!
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Jeff,
Nice stuff, I like the stools. I have a number of pieces for the house. The plan was to make some specifically for the house, since I have been building this pretty much single handed, I am a little behind schedule. (I also may have to film a commercial in Texas, the end of July, and that was my crunch week.) did get lucky at an auction (prop company going out of business) and scored a table, some chairs and a fantastic mid 16th C carved bed.

As for help, anyone who would like to come down and help is welcome. It should go together very easy and quickly, but there always seems to be that "Murphy" guy who wants to get involved.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Just don't take all my work folks, or I'll feel like a slacker! :lol:

-Gregory
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Last week I got the roof beams completed, as well as the "keg cozy" and the jockey box. and of course, tested it many time to see if it worked properly. this weekend completed the second story floor. This week walls.

Beams
(Note: bed frame in the corner, scored at a movie prop auction)

I put thin steel tube across the box beam ending in "sockets" to bolt to the top of the 4x4's.

"Beer cozy"
I had this foam sitting around, and I just had to use it.

Tracy Justus
Archive Member

Post by Tracy Justus »

For interior decoration I can highly recommend The Italian Renaissance Interior 1400-1600 by Peter Thornton, 1991. The focus is on how rooms were arranged and used. It's well organized with lots of pictures and solidly researched (but readable!) text.

I'm sorry we won't be going to Pennsic, I'd love to see this.

Tracy
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Looks like a great book. If I get it now, I'll just want to rip stuff out of the house and change it. So, I'll wait till after Pennsic.
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

Looking at some of your inspiration pictures, some are Flemish, and some are Italian. I don’t think that these are incompatible, but I’m curious if you’re aiming for a specific time and place or making it more general?

(No, no, I’m not just trying to figure out what to wear when I come visit, why do you ask?) ;)
Do you not know that in the service... one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Alexander Younger
Archive Member

Post by Alexander Younger »

So, what would be a good house warming gift?
An Italian lamp, or vase, perhaps? A Flemish drinking cup?
Alexander Younger, OL / mka - Shaun Nelson
"Always available, but never free."
Karen Larsdatter
Archive Member

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Well, if it's inspired by Italian and Flemish artwork, I'd reckon the best housewarming gift would be oakleaf maiolica, right? :lol:

There's examples of this style at http://larsdatter.com/maiolica-zaffera.htm -- including a few Flemish paintings that feature these sorts of Italian ceramics in domestic interiors. :)

As to who's making oakleaf maiolica these days, I like Matilda's Medieval Mudpies, who's had a booth at Pennsic the last couple of times I've been, though she's sometimes grouped with other potters or artisans. White Swan Designs may also have a few oakleaf pieces in stock; she does a lot of pretty stuff with fancy surface decoration.

(Not, of course, that Gaston needs/wants any of the above, of course, or that he couldn't make it himself if he really wanted to.) :)

FWIW, another quickie decoration might be a reproduction of a print, or a series of prints, but this is more of a 16th century thing. I haven't really got a linkspage together for this concept yet, but you can see a series of prints above a window at http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/t5 ... f11aMb8ZkA ... I know I've seen this sort of decoration in other artwork (possibly on a mantelpiece?) -- I guess that'll be a future linkspage, once I get enough links together for it. :)

Edited to add: The future is now. :lol: http://larsdatter.com/wall-art.htm
Larsdatter.com: read the linkspages, and follow me on Facebook & Tumblr.
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

The house is being designed as if it were built 500 years ago and will include elements from 1480 to 1520 Basically from when I joined the SCA to a couple of years from now. As it is in Casa Bardicci, it is mainly Italian, but it will include items from many places.

The artwork in the house is a surprise. They are all period paintings with a twist.
If you are serious about a house warming gift, (really none are necessary), period pottery is one thing. I have a couple of pieces like a2 plates, a couple of pitchers and so on, but a big basin or bowl I don’t have.
Iron lamps for the fireplace, small iron hooks for the lanterns around the bottom floor. Any spirits.
Table cloth for the big table perhaps. ( I can’t buy anything from Historic Enterprises, as Jeff and Gwen will think I’m out to steal their designs or god forbid…rent something.)
But mostly, having people come and be inspired and enjoy the atmosphere is the best gift.
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

I'll bring a big, gift-wrapped box of envy. ;)
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Well, I'm into the final few days. 99% of construction is complete, now its paint and detailing.
Here is a shot of the upstairs inside and out. (Please ignore the blue masking tape; this was used to attach the metal edging on the wall panels.)

“Casa Gastonâ€
AEiric Orvender
Archive Member

Post by AEiric Orvender »

Uh Wow... my little bowtop wagon is quaking on her wheels at your awsome-ness!

This is an Amazing piece of work ('course after seeing you other works I shouldn't be suprized)

Hmmm I should bring my video tape of the old Amazing Games SCA/Estrella War episode so the star can sign it? :D :wink:
Squire to Sir Diglach mac Cein

"Eliminating Generi-celts from the Midrealm, one at a time. By Education or Force." -Sir Diglach mac Cein

"I'm not trying to be a hero! I'm fighting the dragon!" -Sir William the Knight
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Dammit, the bar's so high now, I can't even see it!

That's incredible.

Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Chris, what are you planning on doing for the roof?

also will you be anchoring this to the ground for wind?
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

The roof is constructed with Coroplast (like corgated cardboard, but polypropolyne) with a layer of vacuformed teracotta tiles.
These are painted with just the base coat.

I have earth anchors to secure it to the ground.
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

*checks watch*

Less than a week...

Are you driving it out yourself or shipping? The logistics of it all must be interesting.
Do you not know that in the service... one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

I'll be in my bunk... which isn't nearly as fashionable as anything on this thread
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Charlotte J wrote:*checks watch*

Less than a week...

Are you driving it out yourself or shipping? The logistics of it all must be interesting.
This is my life.
For the past 30 years I have built things on tight deadlines, and we always manage to get completed what needs to be completed.
All the walls are textured and painted, all the trim and window frames are painted.
It’s down to some details and one final assembly to fit some between floor pieces and we are go for launch.
Packing the trailer happens Wed. leaving happens "oh god thirty" Thursday.
Tracy Justus
Archive Member

Post by Tracy Justus »

I hope there will be lots of photos of the casa-raising and the finished building.
Avitoria_vidua
Archive Member

Post by Avitoria_vidua »

At this point your Pennsic pad is so much more impressive than my actual abode that I'm not sure it I want to drool or cry.....

Either way, WOW. :shock:
Gardi li mo.
SirOlafr
Archive Member

Post by SirOlafr »

Simply wow. Just wow.

I will be looking to see this in person.

Stunning.

Olafr
"The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."-Theodore Roosevelt

Dogs of War
Steel Fighters

SCA:
KSCA, AEthelmearc
House Anephedros
Former squire to Count Robin Wallace
Rayner
Archive Member

Post by Rayner »

For those of us that cannot be at Pennsic please take pictures lots of pictures of setting it up and living in this amazing craftsmanship!
Reject passivity,
Accept responsibility,
Lead courageously,
Seek God's greater reward.
Baron Conal
Archive Member

Post by Baron Conal »

I hate when someone makes me feel like a complete slacker....

Time to reassess my project list....

:wink:
Baron Conal O'hAirt

Aude Aliquid Dignum Dare Something Worthy

“Each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass,
A book of rules;
And each must make-
Ere life has flown-
A stumbling block
Or a stepping stone”

― R L Sharpe
Snaebjorn Hakonarson
Archive Member

Post by Snaebjorn Hakonarson »

Baron Conal- trust me, I understand. I've been working with my father and nephew designing a break down building that would simulate a viking hall. We've worked out all the design aspects for set up by 2 people with a minimum of tools.

I honestly thought it was an awesome project. Than I seen this thread. Now I feel like the dumb kid at the back of the advanced class hoping no one notices that I have a hard time even sharpening my pencil!
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Snaebjorn Hakonarson wrote:Baron Conal- trust me, I understand. I've been working with my father and nephew designing a break down building that would simulate a viking hall. We've worked out all the design aspects for set up by 2 people with a minimum of tools.

I honestly thought it was an awesome project. Than I seen this thread. Now I feel like the dumb kid at the back of the advanced class hoping no one notices that I have a hard time even sharpening my pencil!
I was going to help someone build one of those, but he decided to do it himslef, he never finished it. I'd still like to build one.
Come by the house at Pennsic and I can show you some tricks I've used here, they may be of help.
I am a few days behind and will not have time to senic the house like I planned, but there is always next year.
I will post pictures from Pennsic and hope to meet many of you there.
Cian of Storvik
Archive Member

Post by Cian of Storvik »

What's the schedule of build? E.g. What day and time do you want volunteers to show up and where (land number location)?
Besides work gloves and sturdy footwear are there any tools that would be beneficial to have extras-of on hand? Socket sets, Rubber mallets, screw drivers, drill-drivers, etc you'd like us to bring?
-Cian
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Anonymous
When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality. -Thomas Jefferson
Snaebjorn Hakonarson
Archive Member

Post by Snaebjorn Hakonarson »

Chris Gilman wrote: I was going to help someone build one of those, but he decided to do it himslef, he never finished it. I'd still like to build one.
Come by the house at Pennsic and I can show you some tricks I've used here, they may be of help.
I am a few days behind and will not have time to senic the house like I planned, but there is always next year.
I will post pictures from Pennsic and hope to meet many of you there.
I wish I could but I'm not making war this year, again. Unfortunately moving to Texas was probably the worst idea I've had in a long time. (Great state, and Houston is fun and the SCAdians are nice. But the living situation with her family is abysmal and I have had even less luck with finding a job here than I did in upstate NY.)

If I ever get the chance I'd love to come see your place though.

My building is not nearly as heavily engineered as your is for several reasons. 1; I live on the serenghetti at war. I hear all the jokes but I happen to enjoy the Ghetti. 2; Its being built in the backyard by a couple of self taught carpenters who are comfortable with all wood construction. 3; I'm to cheap to put that kind of money into a place.

I do hope that once I get it built I can store a trailer at Coopers (the fees for this really are amazingly cheap) and just leave it there. Because it's going to weigh a ton. (Probably literally.)
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Cian of Storvik wrote:What's the schedule of build? E.g. What day and time do you want volunteers to show up and where (land number location)?
Besides work gloves and sturdy footwear are there any tools that would be beneficial to have extras-of on hand? Socket sets, Rubber mallets, screw drivers, drill-drivers, etc you'd like us to bring?
-Cian
Sunday the 1st. I should have enough tools, but all that is neded to put the house together is, a 7/16 socket and a straight and phillips screwdriver & an allen key, if you have these, extras couldn't hurt..
Alexander Younger
Archive Member

Post by Alexander Younger »

Chris Gilman wrote:Sunday the 1st. I should have enough tools, but all that is neded to put the house together is, a 7/16 socket and a straight and phillips screwdriver & an allen key, if you have these, extras couldn't hurt..
What size Allen key?
Alexander Younger, OL / mka - Shaun Nelson
"Always available, but never free."
Alissenda

Pennsic House

Post by Alissenda »

Absolutely GORGEOUS. I am speechless. (...and for anyone who knows me, that's saying something!)

I will certainly come by to see this.
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Here is a peek at the downstairs ceiling.
Ceadda
Archive Member

Post by Ceadda »

seriouly?

:shock:

I hope to see lots of pictures. Perhaps some with folk in the right period garb posed.
~Ceadda

Stercus stercus stercus Moriturus Sum - Rincewind of Discworld