Calling Cap'n Atli - length of oars on longships

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Egfroth
Archive Member

Calling Cap'n Atli - length of oars on longships

Post by Egfroth »

I read somewhere that the oars at the pointy ends of Viking longships had to be longer than the ones in the middle, to reach the water as effectively.

Have you found this to be the case in practice?
Egfroth

It's not really armour if you haven't bled on it.
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member
Location: Oakley, Maryland, USA (in St. Mary's ["b'Gawd Cap'n..."] County)

Re: Calling Cap'n Atli - length of oars on longships

Post by Cap'n Atli »

About those Oars

Okay, the oars found on the Gokstad ship were from 17’ 2 ¾” to 19’ ½” (5.3 m. to 5.85 m.) and those of the Oseberg ship are 12’ 1 ¾” to 13’ (3.7 m. to 4 m.). However, a major factor is that these are both burial ships, and I repeat the caveat from the Longship Company website on taking burial ships at face value:

“When considering an archeological find the context is everything. Why is the vessel there? Why are the objects aboard it there? Are those stones for ballast, or for sinking it? Are the tents and cooking utensils part of the ship's equipment or grave goods for the afterlife? Is the anchor all or part of the normal ground tackle or just the anchor that was handy at the time? If it's a grave site, did they choose the ship because it was beautiful, or because it was old, or because it happened to be at hand? As maritime archeologist Colin Martin once pointed out: you don't find very many sunken longships because they tend to float, even when holed or swamped, (ours certainly do) and they eventually fetch up on shore and get smashed and stripped down by the surf. What we mostly have are ships that were judged expendable, used for burials, blockades, fire ships, or just beached and left to rot. Any items present or missing must be looked at or extrapolated carefully to decide if they indeed were part of the ship's operating gear.”

Of the four rowing vessels I have skippered, we have used the following oars:

Sæ Earn: 5 pr. 9’ (2.74 m.) ash.
Fyrdraca: 6 pr. 14’ (4.27 m.) ash. (Surplus lifeboat oars)
Gyrfalcon: 2 pr. 9’ (2.74) ash. Later reduced to 8’ (2.44 m.) spruce.
Sæ Hrafn: 6 pr. 12’ (3.66 m.) laminated spruce, plus 2 pr. 12’ oak “heroic” oars (for those who managed to break the spruce oars), plus 2 pr. 10’ (3.05 m.) “bow” or “children’s” oars.

Here’s the trick; within certain parameters, it doesn’t seem to matter all that much. If you look at the plans of the Gokstad and Oseberg ships, (the only finds that seem to come complete with oars) there is actually not a lot of rise in the freeboard of the oarports between the midships and the bow and stern. Also, at least on our admittedly smaller vessels, the bow and stern are “pinched” and you don’t have a lot of space to swing the oar without fouling the person next to you if you have too much of the oar inboard; which is what you would have to do with a longer oar. The Oseberg ship oars- (please note that these were unused and apparently crafted exclusively for the burial, some didn’t even have their handles finished) had painted decorative elements outboard, which gives an idea of how they were set (about 1/3 inboard). There are practical limits as to how much you have inboard and outboard for efficiency; so having a longer oar set higher may be negated by the handling of the oars in a more cramped location, and may also not necessarily be as efficient as in other positions, such as amidships.

With only less than two feet (.6 m.) of difference between the longest and shortest oars of the Gokstad ship, and less than a foot difference on the Oseberg, all of the oars might have been used anywhere along the ship, or maybe (since those on the Gokstad were used, as opposed to custom made for the burial) they were both from the ship or from whatever oars might have been available in the shipyard at or near the time of the funeral. (I have a barn full of oars of various lengths; waiting to be used on whatever boats or Viking vessels we happen upon next.) Either that, or the Norse were extraordinarily sophisticated and were able to wring the last (unmeasurable at the time) ounce of energy from their crew members by carefully arranging the oars in increments of inches, and then keeping track of which oar goes where when you stack them on the oar rack.

Which brings us to the individual variations among the crewmen. Some oarsmen are bigger, taller, shorter, smaller, stronger and weaker than others. Some oars row better than others; especially some that have slight twists in the blade or bends in the loom. Some oars are just miserable to work with, and we tended to mark them to be left ashore except when we had an abnormally large crew, or when other oars were broken or damaged. On the Sæ Hrafn some of our strongest rowers love the oak oars. They can really put some power into them, for a while, but the labor of the lifting stroke also burns a lot of energy. Some of our smaller women, and occasional younger teens, do better with the 10’ spruce oars, which, oddly enough, seem to work best at the bow thwart, the highest rowing position as the oar strake follows the sheer of the gun’l up to the bow. When everything is pulling along, we sometimes have three different types of oars of two lengths all in unison. And that’s the point- we are still able to keep them in unison, at least with no more chaos than when we use a uniform set of oars. Often enough, when having trouble keeping stroke, the solution is the pull the oar a little more inboard or shove it a little more outboard until the oarsman is comfortable and the stroke is back in time.

Another interesting factor is that where longer oars can be more efficient, they can also be less seaworthy. Plans for the Gokstad faering replica call for 9’ oars; but on our copy (within inches and pounds of the original) the 9’ oars were too long for the freeboard, and we were constantly “catching crabs” (unintentionally getting the oar blade caught by the waves or dipped in the water). We do much better, and the faering responds much better, with two pair of 8’ oars, rather than the original nine footers specified and supplied by the museum.

This autumn, if all goes well, we will have a large crew visiting from Hurstwic, ( http://www.hurstwic.org/ ) and it is their intention to experiment with various rowing strokes and stroke speed over a set course during their weekend visit. Once we have an established data base, maybe we can swap out the oars and observe differences in performance between the different lengths in a statistically significant way. However, I suspect that the individual physical variations of the crew, and perhaps the timing of the stroke, are far more important than relatively slight variations in the overall length of the oars.

n.b.
There was a famous 19th century experiment in France where they decided to recreate a Greek Trireme, and they laid the hull out so that they used three different lengths of oars. It proved impossible to keep all the oars in stroke. It was sort of like a clock with three different lengths of pendulums trying to keep time. But there was also a considerably larger variation between the thalamites near the waterline, the zygians part way up, and the thranites at the top in the 19th century French model. (From memory, I think the bottom oars were about nine feet long (2.74 m.) at the lowest level and maybe 20 feet (6.1 m.) long at the highest level. (I will consult with Fred Blonder, one of our captains, who has sailed on the modern, and much more successful, trireme {Twice!} as a zygian.) The most recent trireme reconstruction uses all 170 oars of the same length, and rearranges the seating of the oarsmen, with satisfactory results. The point that I’m wandering around with is that the difference in oar length on the 19th century French model was much greater than the variation on the longship; so some scholars who have belabored this point probably have not spent a lot of time rowing.
Last edited by Cap'n Atli on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired civil servant, part time blacksmith, and seasonal Viking ship captain.

Visit parks: http://www.nps.gov
Forge iron: http://www.anvilfire.com
Go viking: http://www.longshipco.org

"Fifty years abaft the mast."
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member

Post by Cap'n Atli »

And a few pictures for orientation:
Attachments
Gyrfalcon, Bought 1982
Gyrfalcon, Bought 1982
GyrfalconB&W.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Fyrdraca, Launched 1979
Fyrdraca, Launched 1979
FyrdracaontheMagothy_sm.jpg (70.81 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Sæ Earn, launched 1972
Sæ Earn, launched 1972
SeaEarn1972VC_smlr.jpg (58.07 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member

Post by Cap'n Atli »

...and the latest:
Attachments
Sæ Hrafn, Launched 2005
Sæ Hrafn, Launched 2005
LSCo&Hurstwic2013NP_sm.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member

Post by Cap'n Atli »

Further comment: Much of the information, and interpretation, of the Oseberg and Gokstad ships is from the 1950s; specifically The Viking Ships by A. W. Brogger and Haakon Shetelig, (© 1951, 1971; ISBN 82 09 00030 6). I would really be interested to hear the opinions of those who have sailed the relatively numerous modern replicas of these ships. Let me amend that- ROWED these ships, since many of them by necessity or practicality (try getting 18 oarsmen together for a weekend, much less 45) or personal preference, have been fitted with inboard engines. The Gokstad and Oseberg are much more roomy, beamy ships, about 17 1/2 foot and 17 foot on the beam, respectively; so "pinching" may not be so much of an issue; but, as mentioned above, the oar strake does not actually have that much sheer to it; and I suspect that the "long oars for the high oar ports" is more a matter of interpretation then reality.
CTrumbore
Archive Member

Post by CTrumbore »

So.. the oars care far more about the distance from thwart(?) To water vertically than being in line a-la the painting on the cover of the model kit?
Caveat Emptor.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. Anatole France
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member

Post by Cap'n Atli »

CTrumbore wrote:So.. the oars care far more about the distance from thwart(?) To water vertically than being in line a-la the painting on the cover of the model kit?
I guess I would have to see the painting; but the next post from Cap'n Blonder's comments may clarify some of this (or further muddy the waters :wink: ).
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member

Post by Cap'n Atli »

Further comment from the LSCo Yahoo Groups page on Cap'n Fred's experiences aboard the trireme.

"No, that was once as a Zygian and once as a Thalamian, though I did get in a few short stints rowing Thranite, which is the most fun.

Olympias, (as Bruce stated) uses all 170 oars of the same length, but angled differently. The Thranite oars go into the water very steeply; the result looks very weird and awkward (You row with your inboard arm under the oar.), but everyone gets used to it within about 30 seconds. Because of the steep angle, and the fact that the oars are the same length, the Thranites are halfway out of the ship, with the tholepins on an outrigger. This illustration is close-to-correct, as the deck-beams are actually at the height of the head of the Thalamians, rather than shoulder-height. ( http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/war/image ... ePlan2.jpg ) What is not indicated in this drawing is that, although the oars are the same length, the paddles become broader for the higher ranks.

Based on my experience on Olympias, I'd say the suggestion that Viking ships used oars of different lengths is silly."

And yet, it is an easy explanation of the variation in the observed artifacts, which has now taken on its own orthodoxy, burnished by the years.

As one of our crew likes to say: Entire universes can be created from a single artifact. (See: authenticlones; or ten reenactors all wearing Sutton Hoo* armor. Maybe it's a meeting of the Heptarchy! :wink: )

*Another ship burial, and a royal burial at that!
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member

Post by Cap'n Atli »

Oh look! They're selling big, beefy oarsmen!

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/model-boat ... with-seats

Oh; never mind; they're not real... :(
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member

Post by Cap'n Atli »

A number of pertinent (and impertinent) observations and comments on this subject have appeared on the Longship Company Yahoo Groups bulletin board. Do you want me to edit them and repost them here; or have you had quite enough?
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Many thanks, Cap'n.

Your mention of Olympias is more appropriate than you may have realised, because I asked the question as part of my research into Byzantine dromons, as I'm planning to make a model of one. The Olympias has been a real inspiration to me in working this out (especially the cool videos of her in action), as though not a full trireme, the dromon was nonetheless a bireme, and many of the problems of the dromon are similar to those in the three-banked vessel.

As you're probably aware, about a decade ago archaeologists uncovered the remains of something like 36 Byzantine ships at Yenikapi in Istanbul, in the silted up former Byzantine harbour of Theodosius. Of these, about half a dozen were galleys; unfortunately no dromons, only monoreme galeai, but nonetheless invaluable. Much of what I'll be doing is based on these (particularly the most complete wreck, known as YK4) plus the excellent work of Prof John Pryor whose theoretical dromon reconstruction in his book Age of the Dromon is by far the best I've seen.
Egfroth

It's not really armour if you haven't bled on it.