The Peel Affinity

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

juan
Loretta

Post by juan »

Just received a copy a few days ago. It is, I must say, a gorgeous book! I've barely been able to set it down.
Tancred de Lanvellec
Archive Member

Post by Tancred de Lanvellec »

Agreed. This is an excellent book.
Tanc
I. Stewart
Archive Member

Post by I. Stewart »

Indeed. I really didn't know what to expect, but I love it.
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Re: The Peel Affinity

Post by RandallMoffett »

I know I am practicing necroposting here but wanted to post a quick review on this most excellent book and not start yet another Peel Affinity thread.

First off this book is very useful for not simply reenactors but any one who wants to become familiar about medieval life in general without having to read hundreds of thousands of pages of heavy academic or original documents. There are some great sections that cover the life of a member of the knightly class down to more humble commoner. I really enjoyed the lovely photographs that demonstrated the text. As a general run through of medieval life in 1381 England it really is an exceptional work.

I have to admit having done my MA in York and PhD in Soton I loved seeing some of my old haunts over there in lovely England. Throwing in the Fleming family really made my day being something of a medieval civic historian and having done a large amount of work on Soton and her people.

I enjoyed how they interwove so many stories that could so easily have been made isolated from each other flow so smoothly. I enjoyed seeing the lives of the gentry and commoners as they interacted in their day to day activities and how they changed over the year with superb pictures to reinforce the image the text conveyed.

I have wanted to read this since I first saw it in 2008 or 2009 though the PhD kept me so busy I did not at the time but with a recent accident I got to sit down and read it cover to cover, as well as type this review left handed! Not a bad way to spend ones forced inactivity really! Such a beautiful book.

Excellent marks to Le Belle Comp. for such a useful work to reenactor, medievalist, historians, enthusiasts and many others. It really is in many ways such a unique book that it sets itself apart. There are a few items I think could use a slight correction but these issues are for the most part few and overwhelmed by the great information presented in one lovely illustrated book.

I only wish there was such a group near where I am,

RPM (Dr. Randall.P. Moffett)
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

We definitely have our own errata sheet going as well. :)

Charlotte
The new Lady Joan
Do you not know that in the service... one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Cap'n Atli
Archive Member
Location: Oakley, Maryland, USA (in St. Mary's ["b'Gawd Cap'n..."] County)

Post by Cap'n Atli »

I'm getting a Chinese 404 on the link. Y'all been hacked?
Retired civil servant, part time blacksmith, and seasonal Viking ship captain.

Visit parks: http://www.nps.gov
Forge iron: http://www.anvilfire.com
Go viking: http://www.longshipco.org

"Fifty years abaft the mast."
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

I'lll check with those wot know.
Do you not know that in the service... one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

But I believe it can be reached from dru shoemaker's site...
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

Go to http://www.medievalshoes.com/ and navigate from there.
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Charlotte,

How does one become the new Lady Joan? Has the La Belle shifted a great deal of membership? Is this still the group website? http://www.labelle.org/

I was in no way trying to mean that the book's information was often incorrect, most was excellent, only a few curious statements.

As I said I would love to participate with such a group.

RPM
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

With respect to the link, the peelaffinity.com link saw virtually no traffic and was shut down. Please update your bookmarks to Dru Shoemaker's site at www.medievalshoes.com.

Randall,

The former Lady Joan is still very active in the company, but interests change. She and Sir Geoffrey have "retired" to new roles. There is a good group of core membership, some come, and some go, but it's a pretty stable group.

Unfortunately, *I* personally cannot take any credit for the book, not being a part of the writing or in it at all. In fact, I'm the reason Jeff J's not in it more, because most of the shooting took place our first summer dating. :)
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Charlotte,

That is good to hear. Looks like a fantastic group so it is good to know everything is running along smoothly.

I cannot blame Jeff at all. The only term during my undergrad my grades went down was that before my wife and I got married.

RPM
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

Since the link only sends you to the order page, does anyone have any interior pics to share? I'm quite interested in purchasing, I'd just would like to know more of what I'm getting. :)
Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Per pale argent and purpure, a dragonfly counterchanged and on a chief sable a dagger reversed argent.

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. -Pierre Corneille
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

You get pictures of Jeff. :P Well, just a few.

There will also be copies for sale at Pennsic. Go to Gaukler's booth, the best price should be there. If it's not, let them know.
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Charlotte,

Is the link I posted to La Belle still active?

RPM
Donal Mac Ruiseart
Archive Member
Location: North Frontier, Barony of Marinus, Kingdom of Atlantia (Norfolk, Virginia USA)

Post by Donal Mac Ruiseart »

When I try to follow any of the links, it takes me to a page with some Asian (Chinese or Japanese) writing on it.
Donal Mac Ruiseart O. Pel
Squire to Viscount Tojenareum Grenville (TJ)

Be without fear in the face of thine enemies
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee
Speak the truth always even if it means thy death
Protect the helpless and do no wrong
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Donal Mac Ruiseart wrote:When I try to follow any of the links, it takes me to a page with some Asian (Chinese or Japanese) writing on it.

www.medievalshoes.com then click the button on the left.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Dansell

Post by Dansell »

Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

RandallMoffett wrote:Charlotte,

Is the link I posted to La Belle still active?

RPM
Yes, you having trouble with it?
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

No just wanting to know if it is still an active site for the company.

RPM
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

We also have a facebook presence, where there's a little more chat about upcoming events, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Belle- ... 857?ref=ts
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

I received The Peel Affinity as a Christmas gift in 2009. This book is one of my treasured favorites. Nary has a week gone by without thumbing through the gorgeous photographs and rereading the fun sub-stories (Long Jack had it coming). Thanks to La Belle Compagnie for producing this great work!

For those that are interested, I wrote a short review in January of 2010 on myArmoury.

1381: The Peel Affinity: An English Knight's Household in the Fourteenth Century
-Rodney
Mercenary Company Nevermore, Nordskogen

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce