World Invitational Joust 2008- Tournament of the Phoenix

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Jeffrey Hedgecock
Archive Member

Post by Jeffrey Hedgecock »

I will slightly echo what Brent said.

You will not see anything like what happens at our tournaments anywhere else in this country.

Here's why:
We fund these events ourselves-- Gwen & me. Just us; our company Historic Enterprises. (This is one reason we need everyone's support if they want to see these events continue-- we're not rich with deep pockets. If the next one's not financially viable, we can't afford to do another. We are resourceful people but with a very limited budget. We try to do the most we can with the money we have, which ain't much. What we lack in funding, we try to make up for in ingenuity and resourcefulness, but that only goes so far.)

Why is this different?
Because it eliminates interference by outside entities which might influence the goals or execution of the events.

How is this different than other "tournaments"?
All "jousting" events so far in this country, except ours, are staged at Renfairs or other larger events, where the goal is entertainment, or the standards for the presentation and level of competitors are not at stringent. Those event organizers tell the joust organizer what they want to see, or hire them to put on an entertaining "show", first and foremost, and the "reality" of the event is entirely secondary.

We have no such influence or outside interference, even by the Royal Armouries, largely because of our working relationship with them, that I've jousted there for 6 years, and above all, they trust us to do a good job.

We control it all, and to a large extent even uphold a higher "standard" than is seen at the RA. Namely that we have 50 years of historical knowledge to draw from and that we require all on field personnel to wear historically accurate late 15th century clothing and kit, either owned by them or provided by us. No one else in this country has the ability to do that, as far as we're aware.

I strongly suggest you look at the photos posted, look at the video. If you have the ability to see "what" this is, you should be able to see "how" it's different. If you need links to the visual documentation of our 2 previous tournaments, we'll be happy to post them here.

And please remember, our goal is to do what we do and make it the best it can be, not judge or make comment on what others are doing by doing what we do. However, in looking around, it's clear that we're doing something different than others. Not better or worse, just different. Hopefully very historical and "real". We want it to be very real, and as one of the competitors, I can attest to its reality.
Magmaforge
Archive Member

Post by Magmaforge »

LeeC wrote:Seriously, if you can this may be your only chance to see an event like this on this side of the pond. Throw in the lectures and demos from Dr. Jeffery Forgeng on the fechtbucher and it is a serious must see.
This is serious DVD material, Gwen. $20 a pop for one, $30 for two, you'll have them flying off the rack of your online shop for years. Hits historical combat, jousting, historical pagentry, tournament culture, serious study of the combat-related literature by a highly respected academic.... there is no reason why a DVD production of this event should not be able to augment your ticket sales to make you break even without question.
-Mag :D

Take this ring. There is nothing more capacious, more whole, or more durable than the circle. At every point it is suited to repelling blows, and its motion is the freest of all figures. -Leon Batista Alberti
d-farrell2
Archive Member

Post by d-farrell2 »

I forward the link to this thread on to my WMA group's email list - hopefully some interested folks will get in touch. Sounds like a must see event!

I just wanted to toss in my .02 USD on wanting a set of DVDs (a couple others on the list said the same - so maybe make it .04 USD ;) ), since I doubt I will be able to make it out this year.

I hope you all get enough support to continue and improve the event!
'Prototype' is Engineer for 'I screwed this one up'

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother

-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

Post by Black Swan Designs »

I really did try to get a DVD for this event, really I did. I contacted a bunch of videographers, both amateur and pro, the doco dept. at SDSU, every photography club in SoCal, TV stations, you name it I contacted them, and I never even got a call back.

If you guys have any contacts, leads or thoughts on who I can contact, please let me know. We would LOVE to have a DVD of the next event.

Gwen
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

Update:

Just spoke to Jeffrey Forgeng, and it seems that he has loads of video from the event that he's willing to donate to be turned into [something]. I'm going to see if anyone else has video to augment what Jeffrey has, and then see if I can find someone to edit it into [something]. So I'm on it, please stay tuned.

Additionally, the printed flyers are here. If you live within driving distance, have friends, relatives and business associates who might be interested in attending and are willing to hand out flyers, please send me your address and I will send you some. Likewise if you want some for your WMA school, gym, feed/tack store, kid's school, riding club, etc., please email me and I'll post some out to you.

Email me directly at gwen[@]historicenterprises.com.

Thanks!

Gwen
d-farrell2
Archive Member

Post by d-farrell2 »

glad to hear you may be able to get something going video wise.

Sadly I don't have any contacts in the So Cal area... wonder if you could pull someone down from further north?
'Prototype' is Engineer for 'I screwed this one up'

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother

-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare
^
Archive Member

Post by ^ »

Before aiming for a whole DVD I'd take aim at a "movie" preview like piece. Like 2 min and get it up on youtube and see if you can't get some viral action going. Actually I'd make two of them one to release now and one like a month before the event that is even better then the first one. Heck you could even do a preview of the preview kinda movie. A couple manuscript shots and kinda artsy shots interspersed with black with text shots with just two or three stark action shots.
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

Scott Farrell already has video clips of the event on YouTube. They are shorts, and give a feel for some of the events. I think what people are asking for (please correct me if I'm wrong) is a feature length overview/documentary of the event.

But you're right, we do need to put a commercial for the event up on YouTube.

Gwen
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

Having competed in and put on jousting tournaments, I can definitely commend Jeff and Gwen for the job they have done with their tourney (okay, I am a bit jealous :wink: ) and am glad that the interest is building in what they are doing.

Folks, these things aren't cheap to put on. The IJA tourney that I coordinated last year in Michigan ran about $18,000 and we did that one "on the cheap" - if you can get out to this tourney, do so.

Now, Gwen, where did you get your composite poleaxes????
Lloyd Clark
RETIRED World Champion Professional Jouster
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

Thanks for your comments Lloyd.

Jeff and Luke made the pollaxes. I believe the idea is to refine the design and offer them for sale, probably by the end of the year.

Gwen
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

No Worries, Gwen. I just wanted to not only recognize the job you and Jeff are doing (which I have been negligent in doing) but to point out to people that putting on this type of event is hard, costly, and often without thanks.

You guys are doing a great job and I wish you great success with the upcoming tourney (also, set two of those poleaxes aside for me when you begin making them for sale - definitely need them for my WMA classes).
Lloyd Clark
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

A work in progress, but we're definitely getting there! 8)

www.WorldJoust.com
Brother Logan
Archive Member

Post by Brother Logan »

Question. If I were to buy two tickets, knowing that I can not come all the way from Germay to see the event, could I entrust them to you (Gwen & Jeff) to find two deserving people or better yet give them to a radio or TV station for free adverts? I am willing to shell out the cash to keep things like this going!!! The images alone are woth the expenditure!
Cheers,
Leo

PS Better yet, is there a millitary base of any kind near you? I will buy four tickes if you donate them to the closest millitary facility!
Leo Livas
Lord Logan Pathwarden
Citizen of Drachenwald
Compaignye du Chalis
http://www.mron.org

A sociopath may kill you but a psychopath will also eat you.~ Nissan Maxima

I think its just common sense to inspect anything you put into your vagina.~ WMA
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Archive Member

...give them to a radio or TV station for free adverts? I am willing to shell out the cash to keep things like this going!!! The images alone are woth the expenditure! ...Better yet, is there a millitary base of any kind near you? I will buy four tickes if you donate them to the closest millitary facility!

Hi Leo-

This is a brilliant idea! San Diego has a *huge* miltary presence (Miramar NAS, Camp Pendleton, North Island NAS) and this would be very popular.

I would have no way to find appropriate people to donate them to. *However* - we have already purchased advertising with a local radio station, so we can use the donated tickets as free giveaways thru the station.

I have added an option to the ticket purchase menu which will allow you to purchase a ticket and donate it to an active military family. You'll be able to see it when the tickets go on sale on September 15.

This is a great idea where everyone wins- you support the event, someone on this end will get to go, and the radio station gets a great ‘community service / human interest’ angle to promote the event.

I’m currently at Pennsic (God bless Mystic Mail and their internet connection!!!) and will pursue this further with the radio station when I get back home on the 14th.

Cool. 8)

Gwen
Wild William

Post by Wild William »

Donations to the military families may be tax deductable. Something to check into.
Brother Logan
Archive Member

Post by Brother Logan »

This could be the start of something really good! I pledge four tickets and will look in to who you would need to speak to on base to set something up if you would like.
Cheers,
Leo
Leo Livas
Lord Logan Pathwarden
Citizen of Drachenwald
Compaignye du Chalis
http://www.mron.org

A sociopath may kill you but a psychopath will also eat you.~ Nissan Maxima

I think its just common sense to inspect anything you put into your vagina.~ WMA
Wild William

Post by Wild William »

If you can't find something through the bases, try the"Warrior Foundation". It was created by San Diego talk show host Rick Roberts to specifically aid wounded servicemen and their families. Station KCBQ AM 760. I am pretty sure donations to THIS one are deductable.
Wild William

Post by Wild William »

Just checked the "Warrior Foundation" and it is a 501c3 organization. So if you want to support the joust and our wounded servicemen and their families plus use it as a deduction, buy the tickets and donate them. Don't know what the details of all that entails but I'm sure these people could use an afternoon of entertainment to distract them from more serious matters if only for a little bit. Heck, you might even get some free air time for the event.
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Archive Member

I don't want to limit it to wounded military, and I would prefer not to get involved with Rick Roberts if I can help it. Quite honestly the guy gives me the willies.

We'll make the giveaway to -any- active military family. They're listening to the radio, they call in and they get the tickets. That way it's not limited to specific section of the military, or a specific base, or whatever.

--Maybe a guy's home on leave, he can take his family, or a group of his buddies.

--A military wife needs an afternoon of fun with the kids that won't cost her anything, she can call in for the tickets.

--Someone's been wounded and home to recoup, they call in and get the tickets.

Some of our best photos have been taken by Cecillia Berger, a military wife. She and her kids come to all the events, and really enjoy themselves. Her husband is a Marine, although I don't know where he is deployed.

Cecillia took these photos-
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5 ... =593316207

Gwen, still on Jeff's account because we're sharing his laptop.
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

We have it worked out with North County radio station KPRI to give away the donated tickets.

We're closing in on the final list of competitors, should have that for you by next week.

Here's a promo to whet your whistle-

WorldJoust promo
LeeC
Archive Member

Post by LeeC »

Very cool!

Did the video I sent still not work Gwen?
Last I heard Jeff could view it on Lukes comp, but not his Mac. If you just couldn't use the footage thats OK, but I'm still willing to try and get you something you can use even if it is late.
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

No, sorry Lee, they couldn't get it to work. I'm not technical, so I couldn't tell you what the problem was. We'd love to be able to use it, so maybe the best thing would be to call Jeff after he gets back next week to discuss it?

Oh, and here's a clip Luke did for a kid's TV program while he was in Australia for the Abbey Tournament-

'The Shak' kid's show-Jousting segment

Gwen
LeeC
Archive Member

Post by LeeC »

Argh!

I can build 13 TB servers and integrate them, but video editing across platforms eleudes me. :(

I will try and drop the raw footage off to a friend of mine who is an editor at Disney and see if he can get me something ASAP.
Andrew McKinnon
Archive Member

Post by Andrew McKinnon »

Black Swan Designs wrote: Oh, and here's a clip Luke did for a kid's TV program while he was in Australia for the Abbey Tournament-

Gwen
How out of character for Sir Luke! One minute he talks a nubile lass into being his squire and the next she volunteers to polish his helmet!!!

Couldn't help myself.
Cheers
Andrew McKinnon
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

OK, I thought it was just me. When I saw that I literally fell out of my chair laughing. I figured that was just an American euphemism and didn't mean the same thing in Australia. Guess it does. :oops:

Dean told me American girls were shocking. Here we have an Australian girl offering to polish Luke's helmet on public TV, presumably the first time she's met him. On a kid's programme. Yikes! :shock:

In any case, it was good for a laugh. I can't -wait- to bust Luke about it when he gets back. :twisted:

Gwen
Edward Harrison
Archive Member

Post by Edward Harrison »

Gwen, Is this always held in Nov?

*Would be an awesome anniversary weekend! :twisted: :twisted:
Regards,
Edward Harrison
Honor Before Victory!

Vincit qui patitur- He who endures will conquer!
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

As long as we are at this facility, the events will probably be in late April and late October/early November.

If we get a big fat sponsor that wants to move us to the Del Mar Horse Park then who knows when or how often we'll have events. Red Bull has been sniffing around (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease) and if they sign on I'd love to see 3 a year!
Edward Harrison
Archive Member

Post by Edward Harrison »

:twisted: Now to convince the wife hehehe. Shouldnt be too hard. crossing fingers. :twisted:
Regards,
Edward Harrison
Honor Before Victory!

Vincit qui patitur- He who endures will conquer!
juan
Loretta

Post by juan »

Black Swan Designs wrote:
Dean told me American girls were shocking. Here we have an Australian girl offering to polish Luke's helmet on public TV,.... Yikes! :shock:

Well, as she said, "a squire's gotta do what a squire's gotta do" :wink:
Anon001

Post by Anon001 »

deleted
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

[quote="Ingrid]

Don't write it off if you really want to... Gruber not only had no armour (he had to borrow ill-fitting kit, which led to him learning armouring, self taught, at first) he had never been on a horse ever.
[/quote]

Boy, do I remember the Saturday when I had Gruber out teaching him to ride - bareback. I don't think I have ever seen anyone fall off as much as he did that day - but, he stuck with it, got better and became a decent jouster.
Lloyd Clark
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Archive Member

We're just over a month out and have our competitor list finalized and tickets are now available, in house and ready for posting!

Returning competitors--

Me :-) -- USA-West (California)
Luke Binks -- Australia
Fred Piraux -- Belgium
Jeffrey Wasson -- USA-East (New York)

New Competitors--

Graham Nixon -- New Zealand
Petter Ellingsen -- Norway

This joust is sanctioned by England's Royal Armouries - Leeds, and we're applying for affiliation with the International Jousting League.

The dates again are November 1, 2 (Saturday, Sunday) and tickets are on sale now for $3 off each from the gate price of $18 per day adult and $15 children/sr/military.

http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart ... list&c=106

We hope everybody will check out the NEW EVENT WEBSITE- www.WorldJoust.com!

We also have AWESOME -very- modern and stylish shirts for this year's event AVAILABLE NOW!, see attachment below.
Attachments
664_large.jpg
664_large.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 672 times
LeeC
Archive Member

Post by LeeC »

I can't find the thread where gwen lists the local hotels for the event. Still gotta book a room. :(
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

If you book a room or a car or even eat in a local restaurant, please take a moment to mention to the manager that you're in town for the joust. Doing so will help us raise sponsorship for the event next year, including discounts for joust goers who patronize local businesses.

AIRPORTS
Closest airport- San Diego’s Lindberg Field. San Diego Airport is a very easy 30 minute drive from the site.

Los Angeles International Airport / LAX is about 2.5 hours from the site. Only plan to fly to LAX if you’re travelling internationally, as the flights are sometimes cheaper. Don’t forget to factor in the fuel costs shuttling back and forth to LA .

HOTELS:
Best Western Inn Poway
www.bestwesterncalifornia.com
(858) 748-6320

Ramada Poway
www.ramada.com
(858) 748-7311

SpringHill Suites by Marriott

Residence Inn by Marriott-Carmel Mountain
www.marriott.com
(858) 673-1900

Staybridge Suites Hotel Carmel Mountain
(858) 487-0900

Google Search for Poway hotels

CAR RENTAL
If you need a rental car, please consider booking through our sponsors

Enterprises Rent a Car of Poway
www.enterprise.com
12963 Poway Rd
Poway, CA 92064
(858) 748-6900

Please tell them you’re coming in for the joust, as you’ll get a better rate, and it will help us earn ‘points’ toward additional free staff vehicles.
David Teague
Archive Member

Post by David Teague »

Hello all,

I'll be trapped by the first snows of winter but...

Of those of you that can make it... GO!

You'll not see a cooler spectacle of this ilk on this side of the pond.

Period.

I know of no reason every SCA, renfaire actor, history buff, equestian, etc should not fill the stands for this kind of event.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

You'll not see a cooler spectacle of this ilk on this side of the pond.

Cheers ( & Good Luck Jeff, Luke, Gwen and all those that help make this event happen.)

David