Covered Armour

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

FrauHirsch
Archive Member

Post by FrauHirsch »

Sir Roland's covered Landsknect armor is also very nice.
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

That's nice, PI. How well does it deaden the blows?

Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

Ok, so I have sent Jestyr my pictures for his write-up but wanted to share them here as well. I'll start with my leg armour.

I wear soccer shin guard and my knees are a pair of aluminum hinged knee braces with a spring steel cop attached. hardened leather pieces stitched above & below the cop.

My braise cover my compression shorts and jock. I wear linen chausses over my armour. The linen leg wraps also help hold my knees in place.

Covered cleats on the feet.
The monkey must come out!
Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

For my thighs I have made a linen skirt.

The upper portion is quilted with cotton. The bottom portion has channels sewn that hold foam strips. It ties at the waist.

If you look close at the tie, you will see leather patches sewn on with grommets in them. This is where I attach my chausses. I have found it pulls much less when fighting on my knees than when I tie then on my braise.

Monkey butt.
Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

For my body I wear a padded linen vest. It also has channels that can hold foam strips or stainless splints for proper kidney protection. It breaths very well under the maille.

My vambraces are plastic (House of the Wolf) with low profile stainless cops from Windrose.

Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

Throw on your tunic & favorite suit of maille, mine being welded stainless from Master Knuut..

It is the little things like a nice secondary or pouch that makes your kit go the extra distance.
Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

Add the helm and away you go! :D

Uric
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

I <i>really</i> need to take some pictures. I've got to put my breastplate back together on Sunday (bloody barbaric calontiri), so maybe I'll do that then.
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
Jestyr
Archive Member

Post by Jestyr »

I need to take photos myself. BA and Hjalmr have offered to get me photos as well. Once I get them all in, I'll add an appendix.
Thorvald Weretiger
Archive Member

Post by Thorvald Weretiger »

For the last 8 months or so ive used a roller hockey girdle and catchers knee n shin pads. yes, it covers my knee, it passes inspection. the girdle covers the hips and inner n outer thigh beautifully without sacrificing mobility and even has a good thick pad down my tail bone for those damn ass wraps coughDukeSirBrannoscough I throw my horrid and soon to be replaced plaid pants over them and away i go. my only problem is having to put a belt around the girdle so it stays in place properly. my new legs are going on a belt n suspender kit from the local military surplus store. ill work on gettin some pics up of my soon to be old legs.
SphinxGI

Post by SphinxGI »

This was just my first attempt , :oops:

(me, left)

The underneath was just a crappy plates... :lol:
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Welcome and well come, SpinxGI.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

Lookin nice SpinxGi! That is what is great about hidden armour: it can look like crap, but when covered it is AWESOME!
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Re: Covered Armour

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Worth a :bump: for the new guys.

I personally am a fan of covered armor where the covering is part of the armor (for example, Sir Vitus' coat of plates and thigh armor below) instead of something you can take off when "its only a practice", etc.

I never stay in one place for three of my opponent's blows. I also never let my opponent throw three unanswered blows. Standing in front of your opponent lets him perfect his pell technique. Most fighters are very good against a pell. - Duke Gyrth
hivemind
Archive Member
Location: Coppertree, AEthelmearc (SCA) and Winterfell (Dagorhir)

Post by hivemind »

Here's my hidden armor:

From head to toe, that's:

Zweihammer Armory Valsgarde 6 kit
Therion Arms butted aventail
Zoombang Max Coverage shirt
Stainless elbow cops laced onto volleyball elbow pads
Oil-tanned leather bracers with Kydex splints and 2mm funfoam padding
Adidas lacrosse gloves (with added kydex plate over thumb web/joint area)
Hardened leather clamshells
Zoombang Max Coverage shorts
Nutty Buddy
Stainless knees laced onto volleyball knee pads
Cheap soccer shin guards

No lie, the Zoombang stuff is KEY to doing a hidden armor kit. I mean, you can screw around with pickle barrels and Kydex all you want, but it's a lot quicker and easier to just throw $300 at Zoombang and be done. The real bonus here is that I could easily switch from Viking to Crusader, or Roman, or Saxon, or really any early-period non-plate persona just by switching helmets and clothing.
Snorri Bjornisson of Coppertree, AEthelmearc, SCA
Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of the Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell, Dagorhir
Scott4Now

Post by Scott4Now »

Thanks to one and all for all of your great suggestions and tips. Sir Blackoak thank you particularly I really like your vest I'll be using the pocket idea in my linen cotun the knee brace as the base to your legs is genius. I have two creaky knees and the braces will make a lot of difference for me. It just never accured to me to do that. I've made some design changes to my legs because of your idea with the brace I'll use a 16g steel knee and elbow with a lame top and bottom for articulation and steel splinted 9-10 oz leather built around hinged knee braces for my chausses and greaves and a volleyball elbow pad same steel cops and lames and splinted leather for my arms. I'm going to attach a pair of simple 16g spaulders to the cotun.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

hivemind wrote:Here's my hidden armor:

. . .

No lie, the Zoombang stuff is KEY to doing a hidden armor kit. I mean, you can screw around with pickle barrels and Kydex all you want, but it's a lot quicker and easier to just throw $300 at Zoombang and be done. The real bonus here is that I could easily switch from Viking to Crusader, or Roman, or Saxon, or really any early-period non-plate persona just by switching helmets and clothing.
He'll have to bring along a rack of personae to set at the entrance to his tent...

Of course, standing there singing "Who do you want to be to-day?/Who do you want to be? . . . Do you wanna be someone just like on TV (History Channel)?" to yourself is wayyyy OOP music style. Same goes for playing it on your portable disc player-beehead-thingy. Ever notice just how much some of those things look like the heads of giant, robot bees?
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
joleicia
Archive Member

Post by joleicia »

This forum/link contains many patterns that may also help people in this topic.

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/
If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

I want to look like this!
Fearghus Cochrane
Squire to Baron Gareth Nicodemus Somerset OP, OL, KSCA

"propterea accipite armaturam Dei ut possitis resistere in die malo et omnibus perfectis stare"
Jestyr
Archive Member

Post by Jestyr »

bigfredb wrote:Image

I want to look like this!
I agree he looks great... and it is a wonderful example of covered armour!

With the exception of a well-shaped bascinet and legs (and gauntlets), everything is hidden by a lovely jupon.
Custom Chainmail!
Get custom-sized, flat-ring, riveted chainmail at a great price! www.customchainmail.com!

Email me at sales@customchainmail.com for more information.
Adrielle Kerrec
Archive Member

Post by Adrielle Kerrec »

Under his Jupon his Majesty wears a full stainless breast plate, he also wears 5 piece elbows on leather upper and lowers.
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

Adrielle Kerrec wrote:Under his Jupon his Majesty wears a full stainless breast plate, he also wears 5 piece elbows on leather upper and lowers.
Good to know :!:
Fearghus Cochrane
Squire to Baron Gareth Nicodemus Somerset OP, OL, KSCA

"propterea accipite armaturam Dei ut possitis resistere in die malo et omnibus perfectis stare"
Jestyr
Archive Member

Post by Jestyr »

Adrielle Kerrec wrote:Under his Jupon his Majesty wears a full stainless breast plate, he also wears 5 piece elbows on leather upper and lowers.
Please know that my response that it was an excellent example of covered armour was not to suggest that what he was covering was inauthentic. His Majesty looks exceptional, as has every other iteration of his kit that I have seen. The jupons you have made are absolutely stunning. In fact, when I am working with fighters looking to improve their kits, I have a few photos of Nigel that I show as examples.

That said, the point of the entire article is that what is covered is less relevant than the finished product. For instance, if he was wearing a zoombang shirt and dark victory arms, the audience would not know and his appearance would still be exceptional. Blackoak is a wonderful example of that; the armour he wears under his garb and mail is clearly in-authentic, but the audience is unaware of that and is instead treated to an excellent kit. And while there is significant merit to having an authentic kit in all aspects, the person who has that is not the primary intended audience of this article.
Custom Chainmail!
Get custom-sized, flat-ring, riveted chainmail at a great price! www.customchainmail.com!

Email me at sales@customchainmail.com for more information.
Adrielle Kerrec
Archive Member

Post by Adrielle Kerrec »

No worries, I didn't take offence. I am hoping he will post pics of his early period kit as it is an example of what you are discussing. Very economical kit that is modern materials fully covered so as to appear medieval :)
barcuk

Post by barcuk »

GWW 2013

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. -Roger Alan Wade

Sasha Dmitrievich
Caid
Kerberus
Archive Member

Post by Kerberus »

Bumping this for reference later.