Is SCA "Combat" a martial art (however impractical

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Petranella
Archive Member

Post by Petranella »

Milan H wrote:
That said, I disagree with their definitions, but I still don't see SCA fighting as a martial art, rather a martial sport. The only reason I make this distinction is that I have never seen anyone teach this with a real world, unarmored self defense component to it. If that happened, I would have to reconsider my definition. Every other martial art I have studied, or even looked into, has offered at some level a "street level" component that taught nastiness and survival. That doesn't exist as far as I know with the SCA tradition.
Come to Nordskogen, we have a couple Hennepin County Deputies that teach the other detention deputies. The quote after we hosted the Republican National Convention was "Rap shots work really well on hippies."
DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

I recall a private event where my opponent led off with a blow to my shield that numbed my arm. He wanted to see what I was made of. Enraged, I hammered his leg and rained 10's until he flinched.

I was sad.

I am minded that SCA combat, whatever it may be, is all to easily transformed into a game of submission. When we mock and intimidate, a debt is owed.

Honor to those who hold the line.

Regards

Avery
Doppel of Eberhauer
Imperial Mercenary of Atenveldt
Even a squire can win Crown Tournament.
Owyn
Archive Member

Post by Owyn »

DukeAvery wrote:I recall a private event where my opponent led off with a blow to my shield that numbed my arm. He wanted to see what I was made of. Enraged, I hammered his leg and rained 10's until he flinched.

I was sad.
It's a good lesson, your Grace, and one I am trying to pass along. I'm teaching my (very) young son the art of the sword these days. Yesterday, he was fighting with a grim scowl of determination. I called a break. I told him to always smile when he fights. Have fun.

I strongly feel that in what we do "if you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong."
Count Johnathan
Archive Member

Post by Count Johnathan »

In a game where everyone loses fights with such frequency it is easier to not be so focused on winning. Intent on a goal is ok because it is rewarding to accomplish such a task that will bring great happiness and satisfaction though. Determination if not with malice or anger and not overriding honor and chivalry is a very good thing. Determination can sometimes look like a scowl or grimace with the narrow stern steely focus. The end result of that determination might bring lots of fun and feeling of accomplishment.

Determination to observe, learn and grow as a fighter is a great goal. A new student should use the time on the field to observe how duke whatsisname moves and twists and plants to strike you the way he is going to whether you are paying attention or not. Might as well use that time when you are losing to study and learn. Humility is a big part of becoming a great fighter.
Hit hard, take light and improve your game.
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

DukeAvery wrote:I recall a private event where my opponent led off with a blow to my shield that numbed my arm. He wanted to see what I was made of. Enraged, I hammered his leg and rained 10's until he flinched.

I was sad.

I am minded that SCA combat, whatever it may be, is all to easily transformed into a game of submission. When we mock and intimidate, a debt is owed.

Regards

Avery
Interesting. At some level, I absolutely view fighting in the SCA as a matter of asserting dominance. I want my opponent believing he can't win the fight before it ever begins. I don't seek to mock, but I definitely use a level of intimidation as a part of my game.

At the same time, it has nothing to do with anger. I absolutely will not fight angry.

Degree and intent. And I've been the guy who steps in and throws that thunderous blow into the shield, to see what reaction it gets.
Gavin Kilkenny
Proprietor
Noble Lion Leather
hardened leather armour and sundry leather goods
www.noblelionleather.com
DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

Well, we did end up being friends. I told him not to pull that #$#$% again however. Degree and intent, fair enough.
Kilkenny wrote:

I was sad.

Regards

Avery
Interesting. At some level, I absolutely view fighting in the SCA as a matter of asserting dominance. I want my opponent believing he can't win the fight before it ever begins. I don't seek to mock, but I definitely use a level of intimidation as a part of my game.

At the same time, it has nothing to do with anger. I absolutely will not fight angry.

Degree and intent. And I've been the guy who steps in and throws that thunderous blow into the shield, to see what reaction it gets.
Doppel of Eberhauer
Zafir al-Th'ib
Archive Member

Post by Zafir al-Th'ib »

I was sad.
In all honesty, if someone threw a blow at my shield with a piece of rattan that numbed my arm, I would view it as an indicator that I needed a new shield, and that the current model was failing at its duties.

My two pence.
-----------
SKA: Zafir ibn Aḥmad al-Qurṭubī al-Thi’b
DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

Made of two sheets of aluminum and edged with thick hydrallic hosing it will likely survive all of us here. I think most people underestimate how hard sca people (especially our construction, military, and iron type workers) can hit when they choose to pull out the stops.

Regards

Avery
Doppel of Eberhauer