Critique My SCA Kit

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Swete
Archive Member

Re: Critique My SCA Kit

Post by Swete »

Last edited by Swete on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

Post by ThorvaldR Skegglauss »

Easiest way around that is to upload to flickr or some such and then link it.
Hertogi ThorvaldR Skegglauss, Drachenwald KSCA

Just have fun and do right by yourself and others.
Anton
Archive Member

Post by Anton »

Current kit... additions/modifications will be an onion-top helm and steel legs with greaves.

Anton
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

Anton wrote:Current kit... additions/modifications will be an onion-top helm and steel legs with greaves.
Anton
I like the kit. One thing that really sticks out is the Plastic Cuphilt.
Fearghus Cochrane
Squire to Baron Gareth Nicodemus Somerset OP, OL, KSCA

"propterea accipite armaturam Dei ut possitis resistere in die malo et omnibus perfectis stare"
Anton
Archive Member

Post by Anton »

Agreed. I don't trust gauntlets enough to protect my hands. Mental block I have. Thanks Fearghus :)
Saritor
Archive Member

Post by Saritor »

That corrazina looks awesome! Leather covered?
Anton
Archive Member

Post by Anton »

No, fabric covered. Purchased assembled from someone here on the archive, I forget specifically who.
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

Anton wrote:I don't trust gauntlets enough to protect my hands.
I understand completely. I don't trust my gauntlets enough (but I'm saving for better ones).

I use an Anselm Arms cup hilt, but unfortunately he doesnt make them anymore. :cry:
Fearghus Cochrane

"propterea accipite armaturam Dei ut possitis resistere in die malo et omnibus perfectis stare"
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

Sir Anton,

Is that an angel wing surcoat under all that? whatever it is, It looks at odds with the rest of the kit.

Have you considered using Bulwarks of Blanket on your knees?
http://www.revivalclothing.com/article- ... uence.aspx
They look good and are very practical.

The Back of your shield needs covering,

And BigFred has already brought up the basket hilt issue..
"Proecce ne Suffit" - Prowess is not enough

Work: https://www.bespokepewter.com
Words: http://forsooth.pbworks.com
Pewter research: http://pbsn3.pbworks.com
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

Robert of Canterbury wrote:Have you considered using Bulwarks of Blanket on your knees?
http://www.revivalclothing.com/article- ... uence.aspx
They look good and are very practical.
I am interested in how others do this.

I have cut wool so that I have a long rectangle (4"x18") that then tapers to a long triangle tail.
I fold the rectangle part so that it is three layers thick (4"x6")and place this on my knee over my wool hose.
The long triangle tail wraps around the leg 2 or three times and the tucks in under its self.
Once the greaves and knee strap are in place they don't seem to move.
Amanda M
Archive Member

Post by Amanda M »

An easy way to cover the back of your shield is to take craft felt, cut it to size and glue it on before mounting hardware.
SCA - Sigrith inn Danske
Isabella E (old name)

https://www.facebook.com/windyvalleyfinearts
Anton
Archive Member

Post by Anton »

Robert-

I am trying for the end of the 14th century German, so the corrazina with the onion top klappvisor and steel legs seemed to be the 'overall' look that would fit. One final add will be plate arms when I can afford them. The details are what I am hurting on... Yes, it's an angel winged houppeland. I am not sure if 1390s German would have worn the houppeland or a corazzina. The houppeland is a carryover from my previous kit that I'm using until I can figure out if a change is required. I spoke with a Laurel locally and he said it would not be absurdly out of place ... but finding images or effigies with the look isn't giving me positive feedback... I should be wearing maille underneath the corazzina with a gambeson but I don't have the tolerance for the heat and weight. Crappy excuse but the competitive nature of what we do makes me take certain concessions.

Good point on the back of the shield. When I get it recovered in the very near future I will speak to the gentleman to do that. Cilliene here on the Archive does wonderful shield painting.

For the bulwark of blankets... What I am understanding is instead of pads you 'make your own' out of wool and use the leg armour strapping to keep them in place, yes? That's a great idea... I will look into that.

Thank you!
Anton
Antonio
Archive Member

Post by Antonio »

Someone posted a crossguard+cuphilt combination a while back. And the bright shiny quillions really did draw the eye away from the fact there was a basket there.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Antonio wrote:How _do_ people get decent sized pics to upload here. I always have to edit like crazy to have 'em upload!
Trim to no dimension bigger than 800 pixels -- link to a larger-res pic if desired.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Anton wrote:For the bulwark of blankets... What I am understanding is instead of pads you 'make your own' out of wool and use the leg armour strapping to keep them in place, yes? That's a great idea... I will look into that.
They were made as tapering strips. Most likely just the tapering end of the wrap was simply tucked well in under a couple-three of the last turns of the blanket wrap and pulled snug, then the harness strapped on over that. You may find you like supplementing with the unperiod but effective Ace bandage fastener if you run into insuperable problems with keeping the ends tucked.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Cedric Adolphus
Archive Member

Post by Cedric Adolphus »

Finally have one I feel pretty good about. Other than shoes (next project), what needs done?

http://imgur.com/PZd7IBk
Death smiles at us all, the best a man can do is smile back.

Sir Cedric Adolphus
Midrealm
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

Cedric Adolphus wrote:Finally have one I feel pretty good about. Other than shoes (next project), what needs done?
What are you portraying? It looks ottoman to me, and the western heraldry on your shoulder pieces seems at odds with the rest of the kit?

Shield needs painting.
"Proecce ne Suffit" - Prowess is not enough

Work: https://www.bespokepewter.com
Words: http://forsooth.pbworks.com
Pewter research: http://pbsn3.pbworks.com
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Nice artsy helmet. Care to show that off in more detail? How come there is that vertical crease or ridge in the mail drape in the pic? What makes that?
David von Scheidegg

Post by David von Scheidegg »

Hi all, looking for input on my kit. First, a few things about it; I'm looking to do a Swiss or German in the mid 14th century. Currently I am working on a new shield, Churburg 14 style breastplate, padded chausses with knees pointed to them, and splinted greaves. My goal is to make a kit worthy of the Combat of the Thirty.

Thanks!
David von Scheidegg
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

David von Scheidegg wrote:Hi all, looking for input on my kit. First, a few things about it; I'm looking to do a Swiss or German in the mid 14th century. Currently I am working on a new shield, Churburg 14 style breastplate, padded chausses with knees pointed to them, and splinted greaves. My goal is to make a kit worthy of the Combat of the Thirty.

Thanks!
David,

First of all, welcome and well come to the Armour Archive.

Good kit overall!

Small detractors: Plastic cup hilt.

Also the pictures don't clearly show your shoes. Ideally, they should be turnshoes.

Keep up the good work!
Fearghus Cochrane

MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

It's a great kit David.
I would only add to the shoes and hilt (though I see in one pic you do have a cross hilt.) - Is you are already wearing a full arm length jupon over your breasplate, put the arms under it too.
The miniatures we see of that time period tend not to have arm armor over that type jupon, it is either not worn, or it is hidden under. Those arms look low profile enough to fit under what you have, and it will actually add a lot to the look. (and I see you do that in the first pic.)
I would also look into a more authentic looking pair of gauntlets.
But you are miles above most people I know!

*added
oh and greaves! I am guilty of this myself, but greaves can really complete a look!
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Caius705
Archive Member

Post by Caius705 »

Need a rearbrace. Like it otherwise.
"This quote was enough reason on its own to join AA. Period."
-Scott Landua
Galfrid atte grene
Archive Member

Post by Galfrid atte grene »

Hey David, we met briefly at K&Q. A few thoughts (some you plan to address already, I guess):
- add greaves
- no tall boots (can't quite tell from photo or remember if this is the case)
- legs should not have the first plate above the upper lame
- churburg breastplate will be too late for mid-century
- widen the belt, more mounts
- torse-like item on the helm - anachronistic?
- add mail shirt
- possibly shorten aventail by a few rows
David von Scheidegg

Thanks for the input everyone!

I do have better foot wear. Once I complete my greaves I will be wearing them with my kit. For now I've just been wearing shin guards under the boots.

Hmm, I was under the impression that the breastplate would work, perhaps I will keep my new breastplate hidden then.

The torse probably isn't very accurate. I need to research a better pattern. I find it helps reduce the ringing in the helmet.

I've started hiding my arms under the jupon. Not sure if I want to include a rebrace if they are hidden.

Hourglass gauntlets from Grettir the Slow and more maille are on my list, I just need to save up the cash.
David von Scheidegg
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

if you are going to wear them under, then I wouldn't worry about a rebrace.
I tend not to wear a rebrace either, but the tops of my arms are hidden by a mail shirt.
I/m actualyl trying to sell my arms for a better pair at the moment.
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Galfrid atte grene
Archive Member

Post by Galfrid atte grene »

David von Scheidegg wrote:Hmm, I was under the impression that the breastplate would work, perhaps I will keep my new breastplate hidden then.

The torse probably isn't very accurate. I need to research a better pattern. I find it helps reduce the ringing in the helmet.
1) Likely body armour for 1340-1360 is a fitted coat of plates in germany/switzerland/austria/north italy. You don't see the globose profile until about 1370.
2) Generally, a torse of any sort is not appropriate for a bascinet.
David von Scheidegg

Galfrid, good point! Perhaps I will keep the globose for another project... I would like to make a kit based on the effigy of Walter von Hohenklingen at some point. The breastplate I'm working on is modeled after his, so I could see why it is too late for the 1350's. I will probably ditch the torse in future as well.
David von Scheidegg
Brian de Morray

Post by Brian de Morray »

So, I'll continue to necro this thread. I'm looking at trayned bandes as my target. I'm slowly looking to gather armor, but for now my rapier gear will have to do. See attached. (Brewer, I'm looking at you for comments!)

I know my shoes are "wrong", but my merry rose shoes absolutely suck to fight in. As such, desert boots work. Additionally, I seriously need to point my doublet & pants. Some recent weight loss, I've needed to add suspenders which I dislike.

Also, where on EARTH do I find socks that actually go above my knee and STAY there? Even with garters, I eventually show some leg. Err... knee, as shown by the action shot.
Attachments
Oh No's!  Showing some skin!
Oh No's! Showing some skin!
action-small.jpg (85.73 KiB) Viewed 7178 times
Yes yes, the belt goes over the doublet.
Yes yes, the belt goes over the doublet.
geared-up-small.jpg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 7178 times
My current soft kit.  Note, its not a baldric, I am no master of arms.  It is a haversack.
My current soft kit. Note, its not a baldric, I am no master of arms. It is a haversack.
soft-kit-small.jpg (11.12 KiB) Viewed 7420 times
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Galfrid atte grene wrote:
David von Scheidegg wrote:Hmm, I was under the impression that the breastplate would work, perhaps I will keep my new breastplate hidden then.

1) Likely body armour for 1340-1360 is a fitted coat of plates in germany/switzerland/austria/north italy. You don't see the globose profile until about 1370.
2) Generally, a torse of any sort is not appropriate for a bascinet.
Mail hauberk or haubergeon sleeves are common arm defenses too.
http://tudigit.ulb.tu-darmstadt.de/show/Hs-2505/0029
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/search/ ... -sbs-gen-8
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/search/ ... organ-m769
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Angusm0628
Archive Member

Post by Angusm0628 »

David von Scheidegg wrote:Hi all, looking for input on my kit. First, a few things about it; I'm looking to do a Swiss or German in the mid 14th century. Currently I am working on a new shield, Churburg 14 style breastplate, padded chausses with knees pointed to them, and splinted greaves. My goal is to make a kit worthy of the Combat of the Thirty.

Thanks!
David When you get to Tim's let me know.. I'll gladly give ya a few pointers, Seamus is also a good reference as his kit is Combat of the thirty ready with the exception of needing a different visor to keep from getting killed via face thrusts..
Angus MacClerie
Tibbie Croser
Archive Member

Post by Tibbie Croser »

Hey, Brian, have you approached Gardiner's Company for a kit critique? Or Anthonye (who's on the AA) or Dame Rosalind?

What makes your Mary Rose shoes unpleasant to fight in?

As for keeping your stockings up, would it help to garter them above the knee? Or perhaps wear tall modern socks hidden underneath, which would give the stockings something more than your skin to grip?
Flittie Smeddum of Dagorhir
Tibbie Croser of the SCA
Steinarr Aggarson
Archive Member

Post by Steinarr Aggarson »

Not ready to drop the cup hilt, but any suggestions of where to go would be nice.
Sir Steinarr Aggarson
HRM of the Kingdom of Ealdormere

"I fear not the man who has Practiced 1000 kicks once,but I fear the man who has practiced 1 kick 1000 times."
Varukh
Archive Member

Post by Varukh »

Steinarr Aggarson wrote:Image

Not ready to drop the cup hilt, but any suggestions of where to go would be nice.
I have always admired your kit. Only thing I could think of is maybe hide the arms.
Squire to Duke Jon the Tall
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do."-Voltaire
"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."-Napoleon Hill
Bastior
Archive Member

Post by Bastior »

Steinarr Aggarson wrote:
That's a nice kit.

I'd go with long sleeves to cover the arms. Mail might be more typical than lamellar. I'm wouldn't be surprised if the mail drape on your helm were too long. I'm leaning towards the idea that they were shorter than is really helpful for our game :sad:

B
johnameyer
Archive Member

Post by johnameyer »

I'll humbly submit mine, going for northern Italy (border with Austria) 1370's

first time since I started a year and a half ago I have been pseudo happy with my kit.

still need to put a padded avential under the maille one, finish my greaves and finish my gauntlets (fake finger ones from revival, I'm cutting off the cuff and making a wisby cuff)

also for some reason my chausses just wouldn't agree with me that day so my legs look a little funky.