Critique My SCA Kit

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
bigfredb
Archive Member

Re: Critique My SCA Kit

Post by bigfredb »

Harry,

Overall a very solid kit. I really like the CoP. Keep going!

You mentioned the boots already.

I would start with a long sleeve shirt and chausses to cover the skin & kneepads on both the arms and legs. Are you wearing a 'Romanesque' tunic?

Here are my observations:

1. Legs: Go for Gamboised cuisses with 'soupcan' knees or steel cuisses and articulated knee with fans. Also, greaves would cover some of the "boot-i-ness".

2. Gauntlets: Either finger gauntlets or mitten gauntlets that look like finger gauntlets. The ones you are wearing look freakishly large. Are they aluminum? The metal color seems to stand out to me.

3. Vambrace/elbows: Although they are functional, a move to something more akin to the effigy would enhance the overall look.

4. Spaulders: The spaulders just don't look right. Potentially try a rearbrace in addition to #3. A surcoat would go a long way as well.

5. Helm: You might consider switching out your helm for a more traditional Bacinet (no nasal).
Fearghus Cochrane
Squire to Baron Gareth Nicodemus Somerset OP, OL, KSCA

"propterea accipite armaturam Dei ut possitis resistere in die malo et omnibus perfectis stare"
white mountain armoury
Archive Member

Post by white mountain armoury »

Looks fantastic.
Vilhelm550 wrote:14th Century Swede taking Part in a Pas de Armes. My wife made the Black Prince style Jupon in my family heraldry, as well as the torse, so I can take no credit for my appearance. She makes me pretty.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
I prefer kittens
Harry Marinakis
Archive Member

Post by Harry Marinakis »

Thank you honorable Fearghus Cochrane for your comments.
bigfredb wrote:I would start with a long sleeve shirt and chausses to cover the skin & kneepads on both the arms and legs. Are you wearing a 'Romanesque' tunic?
Yes. Where I live it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity during fighting season. I could wear long-sleeve garments during the spring and fall, but from May through September long sleeves are not practical. Actually, I'm shooting for a period slightly earlier than the brass shown in my OP, prior to the tight-fitting cotehardies of the later 14th C. I'm old and no longer have a flattering figure that would look good with a tight cotehardie. :lol:
bigfredb wrote:1. Legs: Go for Gamboised cuisses with 'soupcan' knees or steel cuisses and articulated knee with fans. Also, greaves would cover some of the "boot-i-ness".

Gamboised garments are too hot. I have ordered some leather and will make some new rivets cuisses with integrated aluminum soupcan knees.
Will also make some riveted leather greaves.
bigfredb wrote:2. Gauntlets: Either finger gauntlets or mitten gauntlets that look like finger gauntlets. The ones you are wearing look freakishly large. Are they aluminum? The metal color seems to stand out to me.
My hands are big, can't fix that. The gauntlets do look huge, don't they? I've taken some direct hits on my gauntlets from 2-handed weapons and still suffered some injuries. I can't imagine what damage would have happened if I had been wearing finger gauntlets. They are aluminum - all my metal is aluminum. I'm old with a grey beard and heavy metal wears me out too quickly. (:
bigfredb wrote:3. Vambrace/elbows: Although they are functional, a move to something more akin to the effigy would enhance the overall look.
That's in my long-range plans.
bigfredb wrote:5. Helm: You might consider switching out your helm for a more traditional Bacinet (no nasal).
Originally I started with a post Norman kit, but it didn't work out and the maille was too heavy. Some of the bascinets had large nasals, and the helmet shape is close to the early bascinets, so for now I'm gonna stick with this helm. It cost a few hundred dollars, don't want to put that to waste!

Any other comments?

Humbly Yours
Otto Böse
(Otto the Wicked)
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

Harry Marinakis wrote: Where I live it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity during fighting season. I could wear long-sleeve garments during the spring and fall, but from May through September long sleeves are not practical. Actually, I'm shooting for a period slightly earlier than the brass shown in my OP, prior to the tight-fitting cotehardies of the later 14th C. I'm old and no longer have a flattering figure that would look good with a tight cotehardie. :lol:
I fully understand. I lived in South Texas for years. Just a question, do you normally use linen? I've found that tends to help with the heat (and does well in the cold too).

At 6'6" and 280lbs, I can't even get near calling myself petite, and my figure doesn't do well with a tight cotehardie. But I must say I do look pretty good in a not-quite-tight cotehardie. I also left "young" a while ago, but can't quite call myself old yet. After all, the 40s are the new 30s :D .
Harry Marinakis wrote:
bigfredb wrote:2. Gauntlets: Either finger gauntlets or mitten gauntlets that look like finger gauntlets. The ones you are wearing look freakishly large. Are they aluminum? The metal color seems to stand out to me.
My hands are big, can't fix that. The gauntlets do look huge, don't they? I've taken some direct hits on my gauntlets from 2-handed weapons and still suffered some injuries. I can't imagine what damage would have happened if I had been wearing finger gauntlets. They are aluminum - all my metal is aluminum. I'm old with a grey beard and heavy metal wears me out too quickly. (:
Notice, I said finger gauntlets or ones that look like them. I've got big hands as well. See grettr the slow's gaunts as an example (I cant afford them either).
Harry Marinakis wrote:Any other comments?
From one big, ol' fighter to another . . . Keep up the good work and continue to improve!
Fearghus Cochrane

"propterea accipite armaturam Dei ut possitis resistere in die malo et omnibus perfectis stare"
Thorsteinn Raudskeggr
Archive Member

Post by Thorsteinn Raudskeggr »

Here is my current kit.

9th cen Scandanavian rus, but I know I have lots & lots of work to do.

Attachments
2013a.jpg
2013a.jpg (85.09 KiB) Viewed 7620 times
When the World shout's "Give Up!", Hope whispers "Try one more time".

"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

Thorsteinn Raudskeggr wrote:Here is my current kit.

9th cen Scandanavian rus, but I know I have lots & lots of work to do.

Looks really good overall, keep up the good work!

Only thing I see is you might consider making your sleeves bigger and having them go over your Bazus.
Fearghus Cochrane

Jace_
Archive Member

Post by Jace_ »

Harry Marinakis wrote:Thank you honorable Fearghus Cochrane for your comments.
bigfredb wrote:I would start with a long sleeve shirt and chausses to cover the skin & kneepads on both the arms and legs. Are you wearing a 'Romanesque' tunic?
Yes. Where I live it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity during fighting season. I could wear long-sleeve garments during the spring and fall, but from May through September long sleeves are not practical.
I'm also in Aethelmarc and it is practical to wear long sleeves May to September. I got away with 60% linen 40% rayon blends. You just have to drink water and not worry about sweating, you're gonna sweat, that's okay, it'll help keep you cool. Get up on that gamboised linen. It's most definitely cooler than leather is.
Johannes von Baehrenwald.
Jan
Archive Member

Post by Jan »

Jace_ wrote:
Harry Marinakis wrote:Thank you honorable Fearghus Cochrane for your comments.
Yes. Where I live it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity during fighting season. I could wear long-sleeve garments during the spring and fall, but from May through September long sleeves are not practical.
I'm also in Aethelmarc and it is practical to wear long sleeves May to September. I got away with 60% linen 40% rayon blends. You just have to drink water and not worry about sweating, you're gonna sweat, that's okay, it'll help keep you cool. Get up on that gamboised linen. It's most definitely cooler than leather is.
Most definitely. I live the in East and have always fought in long sleeve tunics. In this application, linen is your friend. I like the medium weight for warmer months, and the next one up for cooler months. Heck...I've even fought in cotton tunics in the summer and done just fine.
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
Jestyr
Archive Member

Post by Jestyr »

Harry Marinakis wrote: Yes. Where I live it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity during fighting season. I could wear long-sleeve garments during the spring and fall, but from May through September long sleeves are not practical. Actually, I'm shooting for a period slightly earlier than the brass shown in my OP, prior to the tight-fitting cotehardies of the later 14th C. I'm old and no longer have a flattering figure that would look good with a tight cotehardie. :lol:
I live in South Florida, so I know a thing or two about hot and humid, but if you go with linen, it really is very reasonable. I wear 2 pairs of linen pants when I fight (one for under my armour, and one to cover it), as well as 2 or 3 layers on top, all long sleeves. Long sleeves or pants aren't the issue, the material is.
Harry Marinakis wrote:Originally I started with a post Norman kit, but it didn't work out and the maille was too heavy. Some of the bascinets had large nasals, and the helmet shape is close to the early bascinets, so for now I'm gonna stick with this helm. It cost a few hundred dollars, don't want to put that to waste!
A bretache looks remarkably different from a nasal on a conical. That said, why not just remove the nasal?
Custom Chainmail!
Get custom-sized, flat-ring, riveted chainmail at a great price! www.customchainmail.com!

Email me at sales@customchainmail.com for more information.
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

I live in Louisiana, the fiery hell-jewel of the south. It is 70 degrees in November. I have no problems whatsoever when wearing a long sleeve tunic as long as it is linen. Heavy, medium, and light, linen is the key to breathability.
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Harry Marinakis
Archive Member

Swete wrote:I live in Louisiana, the fiery hell-jewel of the south. It is 70 degrees in November. I have no problems whatsoever when wearing a long sleeve tunic as long as it is linen. Heavy, medium, and light, linen is the key to breathability.
I guess I'm a pussy
Otto Böse
(Otto the Wicked)
Aleksei Ryazanov

Post by Aleksei Ryazanov »

I have been a member of the SCA for about a month. Went to my first event a couple weeks ago.

12g mild Vendel 1 helm with brass trimming and brasswork from RQP.
18g spring steel fluted bazubands with brass accents.
brig style gorget.
hidden padded cuisses with kydex splints.
16g mild steel knees.

body will be 18g spring stainless Khatangu Degel.

Aleksei Ryazanov
Middle Kingdom
Pentamere
Barony of Andelcrag
Canton of Three Hills
Vladimir
Archive Member

Post by Vladimir »

Outstanding. I'm eager to see the body armour.
Per pale sable and gules, two eagles rising respectant Or and in base an open
book argent.
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Aleksei Ryazanov wrote:I have been a member of the SCA for about a month.
:shock:

My how times have changed, for the better! :)
-Rodney
Mercenary Company Nevermore, Nordskogen

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce
aidanhroarsson
Archive Member

Post by aidanhroarsson »

Rodney wrote:
Aleksei Ryazanov wrote:I have been a member of the SCA for about a month.
:shock:

My how times have changed, for the better! :)
I need to show this around in my area to show that new people that want to play CAN look fantastic!
Great job on your first kit!
HL Auðun Hroarsson
At Wulfe Armory

The Truth shall set you free, but first it will piss you off!
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

Aleksei Ryazanov wrote:I have been a member of the SCA for about a month. Went to my first event a couple weeks ago.

12g mild Vendel 1 helm with brass trimming and brasswork from RQP.
18g spring steel fluted bazubands with brass accents.
brig style gorget.
hidden padded cuisses with kydex splints.
16g mild steel knees.

body will be 18g spring stainless Khatangu Degel.

That is outstanding! The whole kit goes together fantastically. So you are the one who snagged up that sexy helm!
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Aleksei Ryazanov

Post by Aleksei Ryazanov »

Swete wrote:
That is outstanding! The whole kit goes together fantastically. So you are the one who snagged up that sexy helm!
Yup! And I love it so far. Havent put it through any rigorous fighting, but we will see how she does tonight!
Aleksei Ryazanov
Middle Kingdom
Pentamere
Barony of Andelcrag
Canton of Three Hills
Kilian_the_warlike
Archive Member

Post by Kilian_the_warlike »

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Swete wrote:I live in Louisiana, the fiery hell-jewel of the south. It is 70 degrees in November. I have no problems whatsoever when wearing a long sleeve tunic as long as it is linen. Heavy, medium, and light, linen is the key to breathability.
I guess I'm a pussy
New Orleanian who plays in a quilted gamebeson here:

Yes, you are :lol:

Kidding! But seriously, its about how you dress, and what its made of. I wear Italian clothing and armour, using the correct materials. Obviously, the Mediterranean gets as hot and humid as Louisiana, which is to say "Satan's yard-work stained ass crack", but linen and summer-weight wool make life lovely.
Banker Prefect
Guild of Usurers
"Loans made- Deals brokered- Problems Solved"
Vladimir
Archive Member

Post by Vladimir »

In defense of all those who say it is too hot down south, Kilian is a bit of a glutton for punishment who drives nails up his nose and lets people wack him in the nads with cinder blocks.

Wearing a padded gambeson in 90 degree heat with 90% humidity is nothing by comparison.
Per pale sable and gules, two eagles rising respectant Or and in base an open
book argent.
Kilian_the_warlike
Archive Member

Post by Kilian_the_warlike »

Vladimir wrote:In defense of all those who say it is too hot down south, Kilian is a bit of a glutton for punishment who drives nails up his nose and lets people wack him in the nads with cinder blocks.

Wearing a padded gambeson in 90 degree heat with 90% humidity is nothing by comparison.
The cinderblock is on my crotch, which gets whacked with a sledge hammer, get it right :P
Banker Prefect
Guild of Usurers
"Loans made- Deals brokered- Problems Solved"
Harry Marinakis
Archive Member

I added black linen hosen, a velveteen surcoat and splinted leather schynbalds (to match my splinted cuisses). I'm working on a long-sleeve linen tunic. This is about as far as I am taking this kit.
Attachments
IMGP0992.JPG
IMGP0992.JPG (96.61 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
Otto Böse
(Otto the Wicked)
Biau-douz de la Mere
Archive Member

Post by Biau-douz de la Mere »

One Month..................good lord.
rotccapt
Archive Member

Post by rotccapt »

hello here is my sca kit. i would like to be some where in the 14th century German era. everything i have i made except the helm it is from iron monger. the aventail is mine though

bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

rotccapt wrote:hello here is my sca kit. i would like to be some where in the 14th century German era. everything i have i made except the helm it is from iron monger. the aventail is mine though

Good Solid Start.

First off, what part of the 14th century?

Two basic observations:

- Footwear: Get some turnshoes
- Chausses: Lose the socks and use chausses (or at least something that looks like chausses)

Some other minor modifications here and there might clean it up a bit.
Fearghus Cochrane

rotccapt
Archive Member

Post by rotccapt »

bigfredb wrote: First off, what part of the 14th century?

Two basic observations:

- Footwear: Get some turnshoes
- Chausses: Lose the socks and use chausses (or at least something that looks like chausses)

Some other minor modifications here and there might clean it up a bit.
as for what part im not real sure. form what i gather since my kit is mostly the chain, i think it would be early 14th

as the the shoes i was thinking about getting these, http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/14th ... -boot.html which will make the socks a non issue

thanks for the feed back
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

rotccapt wrote:
bigfredb wrote:
as the the shoes i was thinking about getting these, http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/14th ... -boot.html which will make the socks a non issue
Those shoes are awesome!! (I have 3 pairs)

Also, PM sent
Fearghus Cochrane

rotccapt
Archive Member

Post by rotccapt »

do you think the vimbram sole is a good idea?
bigfredb
Archive Member

Post by bigfredb »

rotccapt wrote:do you think the vimbram sole is a good idea?
I do, my pairs all have the soles.

However, it also depends on how "period" you want to go (pattens?).
Fearghus Cochrane

bhaiduk
Archive Member

Post by bhaiduk »

rotccapt wrote:do you think the vimbram sole is a good idea?
The Viking Leathercraft soles are a spectrum of sorts:

Leather.....................................Vibram...............................Lugged
Most period looking...........................................Least period looking
Least traction..............................................................Best traction

I personally have two pair of the same boot. One has lugged soles for fighting in and the other has Vibram for walking around in. I really like the traction of the lugged ones, but it comes at a price in authenticity.
zalbad
Archive Member

Post by zalbad »

Just got my first kit finished. Looking to go the 14th century direction.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y41 ... 2f7739.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y41 ... c30d99.jpg

Thanks All
-Z-
Caius705
Archive Member

Post by Caius705 »

The aventail feels wrong to me. Seems to hang too sheet like and and to not go high enough on the helm. Padding under that can help with the way it hangs. Do you have a good up close picture of it? I'll dig out an effigy that shows what I mean.
"This quote was enough reason on its own to join AA. Period."
-Scott Landua
Caius705
Archive Member

Post by Caius705 »

Something like this guy is what I had in mind

Sir William de Aldeburgh (1360 English)
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/702/949/
-Scott Landua
Steve S.
Archive Member

Post by Steve S. »

The aventail feels wrong to me. Seems to hang too sheet like and and to not go high enough on the helm.
I think there is too much maille in the front of the aventail, which is pulling heavily in front and then pulls the maille off of the shoulders resulting in even more maille hanging down in front.

The usual expanding row construction of a coif applied to an aventail will do that. You actually have to tailor the front of the aventail to remove unneeded material.

Steve
zalbad
Archive Member

Post by zalbad »

Yah for some reason the mail does not sit right. i will have to tailor the mail i just have not had a lot of time to fix it. it sits perfect if i don't move. i did think about getting a padded collar and attach the aventail to it. I have also been directed to get a fitted sircoat to cover the COP
-Z-
Caius705
Archive Member

Post by Caius705 »

Personally, I'd try to improve the fit of the CoP around your shoulders and get your spaulders pointed better. It's hard to tell but they look like they're riding forward more than they should. More pictures would help.
-Scott Landua