Concussions and CTE

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Lloyd
Archive Member

Concussions and CTE

Post by Lloyd »

Though it is not been determined if Junior Seau had CTE - I would like to impress upon all of my friends, especially those that joust or fight SCA/WMA/BoTN - to really be aware of how concussions can really screw up your life, and possibly end it.

Back in 2005, I suffered what was probably my 12th or 13th concussion while jousting at the Silverleaf Ren Faire. That was the first week of August and I have absolutely no memory of anything happening after that until November of the same year (even then, its a bit cloudy and hit/miss until Summer 2007 - which Lisa didn't even know until now).

During that time I managed to severely injure one of my friends and screwed up enough in my career to lose a job that I really loved doing.

I was diagnosed with severe, and now chronic, depression and have been on medication for it since then. I developed migraines, which I now have a few times a month, and I still have some short-term memory issues (thankfully, that has decreased markedly over the past four years).

Why am I "coming out" with this? Because in the Medieval Martial Art world, we are just as damn prone to hide our serious brain injuries as pro football players. One or two concussions may not be that bad, but repetitive ones are. They lead to a number of secondary issues (see below) that can really have a significant impact on your life.

If you've taken a few "dingers" to the head (most of us also played football and rugby, its not just our Medieval Martial Arts that can cause these) and you are not feeling "right" - get your self checked.

If you notice that you have the signs of depression - get help. It doesn't heal on its own, it only gets worse, and you are not being weak by asking for help.

The signs and symptoms of a concussion can be subtle and may not be immediately apparent. Symptoms can last for days, weeks or even longer.

The most common symptoms after a concussive traumatic brain injury are headache, amnesia and confusion. The amnesia, which may or may not be preceded by a loss of consciousness, almost always involves the loss of memory of the impact that caused the concussion.

Signs and symptoms of a concussion may include:

Headache or a feeling of pressure in the head
Temporary loss of consciousness
Confusion or feeling as if in a fog
Amnesia surrounding the traumatic event
Dizziness or "seeing stars"
Ringing in the ears
Nausea or vomiting
Slurred speech
Fatigue

Some symptoms of concussions may be immediate or delayed in onset by hours or days after injury:

Concentration and memory complaints
Irritability and other personality changes
Sensitivity to light and noise
Sleep disturbances
Psychological adjustment problems and depression
Disorders of taste and smell

None of us are Superman and you only get one you. With the advances in padding technology, like Unequal Technologies, it looks like we can greatly reduce the chance of traumatic brain injuries in our sports. But for right now, take care of yourself.

http://www.bu.edu/cste/about/what-is-cte/
Lloyd Clark
RETIRED World Champion Professional Jouster
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Cedric
Archive Member

Re: Concussions and CTE

Post by Cedric »

Thanks for posting this.
muttman
Archive Member

Post by muttman »

"Concentration and memory complaints
Irritability and other personality changes

Sleep disturbances
Psychological adjustment problems and depression"

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know about the connection with some of these symptoms.
I've had several concussions myself and I do have the above symptoms too, especially the concentration and memory issues and depression. The memory thing is getting worse of late and I gt caught up on it often. I usually laugh it off with "I get hit in the head for fun" jokes but it is embarrassing me more and more. I don't focus nearly as well as I used to either and my ever present depression just gets worse every year. Didn't know there was a connection between head trauma and that last one, thats good to know.
Maybe someday I'll get to a doctor and get some of this looked at. In the meantime I'll work on my defense :wink:
Thanks!
John/Drefan
"this calls for a special blend of psychology and extreme violence" V. Basterd

Dogs of War Brute Squad
SCA- Sir Ruslan Voronov
Former Squire to Sir Óláfr Fasthaldi
House Anephedros
Maugrim of House Hamilton
Sword Of Cadair Idris EMP
Count Johnathan
Archive Member

Post by Count Johnathan »

Thank you Lloyd. I think this is something people do not take into consideration enough. Awareness is key.
Hit hard, take light and improve your game.
CiaranBlackrune
Archive Member

Post by CiaranBlackrune »

An excellent and most needed post. Thank you Mr. Clark.
What the SCA needs is less Armour Archive, and more Monty Python.
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Awareness, and a good helmet with good padding. Prevention is important.
Said ibn-Ali
Archive Member
Location: Windmasters Hill, in the Canton of Nimenfeld, Atlantia

Post by Said ibn-Ali »

Between my PTSD, and past Concussions from football, I think I am good. Two negatives cancel eachother out right?

No serriously good post.
Vermillion
Archive Member

Post by Vermillion »

*thumbs up*
Vermillion On the Archive
Christian Von Beckner In the Society
---------------------------
"Pro Deus et mi Patris"
Kel Rekuta
Archive Member

Post by Kel Rekuta »

Lloyd wrote: I was diagnosed with severe, and now chronic, depression and have been on medication for it since then. I developed migraines, which I now have a few times a month, and I still have some short-term memory issues (thankfully, that has decreased markedly over the past four years).

Check but don't seem to be subsiding

<<Snip>>

Concentration and memory complaints Check
Irritability and other personality changes Check but may be pre-existing
Sensitivity to light and noise
Sleep disturbances Check but may be pre-existing
Psychological adjustment problems and depression Check
Disorders of taste and smell
Excellent post, Lloyd!! 8)
I've had about a dozen concussions, mostly in football and hockey but a couple from SCA. None recently that I recall even though a 2 foot F-clamp came off its peg and kluned me on the forehead last weekend. No head ache, just embarrassment at waking up on the shop floor with a clamp in front of me. Nah, not a concussion, right?
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

Nah, Kel, you should be great....

Sometimes, we are so into being "tough" in our sports that we forget that not all of our injuries are visible. There are way too many former NFL players offing themselves (and former boxers) to not take concussions seriously. It can get bad, very bad, and I've been there, but I got some help.

I just want folks to be vigilant and aware.
Lloyd Clark
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Dougal Forester
Archive Member

Post by Dougal Forester »

EVERY TIME you lose consciousness from a blow to the head, GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

Mike, (RN)
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Any update on Duke Felix and his concussion from the BotN? Something was odd about that fight. The fellow he was fighting looked horrified that something bad happened, so I don't think this was "Hey, I'm going to knock this American back to Frisco" sort of shot. Something else happend.

-Aaron
Kel Rekuta
Archive Member

Post by Kel Rekuta »

Dougal Forester wrote:EVERY TIME you lose consciousness from a blow to the head, GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

Mike, (RN)
Thanks for the concern but I couldn't have been down more than a second. No puddle of drool. More annoying than painful to get dropped by one of your own tools... :oops:
Bulby37
Archive Member

Post by Bulby37 »

Might be a hood thread to sticky in this particular forum. There aren't as many folks doing the research on SCA/WMA head issues, so it's smart to be ever vigilant for yourselves and your opponents.
Edric the Bastard wrote:Next thing you know they'll be beating off offenders with sticks or something.
Padraig O wrote:I'd rank the idea somewhere on the same level as "Jerry Sandusky, Boy-f*cker: the Musical".
Diglach Mac Cein
Archive Member

Post by Diglach Mac Cein »

And the real nasty effects of concussions can appear after one... or fifty. And you don't know exactly when or what will cause it. I know at least one SCA fighter who had to quit fighting becuase of repetitive concussion syndrome.

And all the padding and super-helm in the world won't necessarily help.

McCein Leatherworks and Sutlery - Used / refurbished armor, leatherworks, and accessories -

Check out my FB Page -
Cunian
Archive Member

Post by Cunian »

It's the repeat sub-concussive trauma that worries me a bit, (as a long-term kinda lousy but enthusiastic fighter type).

http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-07/o ... phalopathy
St. George
Archive Member

Post by St. George »

I am beginning to seriously wonder if some of the issues I have been having the last few years are related to this.

I wear good gear, but maybe I have been doing it just too long and repetitively.

St. G-
Cailin
Archive Member

Post by Cailin »

I'm fairly certain one of my work situations completely deteriorated due to post concussion issues. The concussion in question came from a high speed motorcycle crash. I'm leaning farther and farther from encouraging my son towards football. Its kinda weird, for me.
FrauHirsch1
Archive Member

Post by FrauHirsch1 »

I've known two people who have gotten epilepsy from concussions. One was from HS football. By the time I met him, in his late 20s, it was under control.

The other was from the SCA. It was the ladie's first war, so she likely had newb tunnel vision and no battle awareness. She had been to a number of practices and was in a borrowed helmet.

A spear shot hit her above the eye and knocked her cold - a deep metal scratch was above the eyeslot where she remembered being hit. She was hit so hard that besides a concussion, she was having up to 72 seizures per day for awhile, and all the muscles in the side of her neck were pulled. The helmet was verified that it did not fail, had extra padding and fit her properly. No one saw who did it. No one knows what happened.

I hypothesize that someone had a metal butt cap covered by duct tape, and the spear was reversed.
Christophe de Frisselle
Archive Member

Post by Christophe de Frisselle »

That's an inspection fail issue. The SCA could have gotten sued.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'" - Master Yoda

"You don't become great by trying to become great. You become great by wanting to do something, and doing it so hard that you become great in the process." - Zombie Marie Curie, xkcd
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

It is also aggravated battery.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
edricus
Archive Member

Post by edricus »

I used to do inquries concerning work related injuries and benefits for the Swedish social services agency, I have seen quite a few Post Commotio 'After Concussion' cases were a simple concussion has alterd the life of the person involved. Concussions are not to be taken lightly.
Fight like a unit
Die like a unit
Win like a unit

Hus Halfdan

Squire to Sir Vitus Polonius (the other Sir Vitus)
Fearghus Macildubh
Archive Member

Post by Fearghus Macildubh »

Bravo for coming forward and posting.
Cheers,
Fearghus
Man-at-arms to Sir Aethelred Cloudbreaker
Duke Owain
Archive Member

Post by Duke Owain »

I have not personally suffered a major concussion but I am close with several people who have and it can be extremely life altering. As far as depression goes whether it is part of post concussion syndrome or not it needs to be taken seriously. If you suffer from chronic depression that last more than two weeks and is not directly related to emotional trauma like the death of a loved one you need help.Your brain is probably not processing the chemicals that regulate mood correctly and you need medication. It is unlikely to get better on its own. A major organ in your body is not functioning correctly and medication will fix it. I cannot believe how many people avoid getting help for depression. I cannot imagine a diabetic refusing insulin. Make no mistake, depression can be just as deadly as any other organ affecting disease. Only a small portion of sufferers experience suicidal thoughts but many, many depressed people make bad decisions about self medicating that can lead to dangerous situations. Even if you are not suicidal or abusing drugs and alcohol, are you, on a bad day the husband/wife or father/mother your family deserves? Be a responsible adult and get it taken care of.
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

I have all the symptoms in spades, and have since I was a child. My older brother dropped me twice- he used to grab me and run away with me when I was a baby. He was too young to hold onto me but couldn't resist.

I suffered a couple of concussions as a kid doing crazy yard-ape bullshit, and I have been hit in my raw head with objects many, many times being an idiot or from punk rock dicks and skinheads throwing shit at me when I was onstage.

Rattan can knock the living shit out of your brain. Now I plan on doing some steel fighting just for the fun of it.

:roll: What a dumbass I am. :roll:
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

My plan is to pair a period liner (listen, they knew what they were doing) with the CRT pads from Unequal Technologies.

Oh, and I won't be doing any solid stick jousting. I am going to stick to the balsa tournaments.

https://unequal.com/
Lloyd Clark
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
white mountain armoury
Archive Member

Post by white mountain armoury »

Thanks for the post, I have had 3 concussions from sports, not fun.
I prefer kittens
Thorsteinn Raudskeggr
Archive Member

Post by Thorsteinn Raudskeggr »

When does it become 'concussion'?

I got hit twice today with some real force and needed to stop, no pain, no grogginess, pupils were fine (they checked. thats how much the 1st one omphed me).

I have a headache but I think thats due to a vertebrae thing as I cannot straighten up this evening.
When the World shout's "Give Up!", Hope whispers "Try one more time".

"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent
Payn
Archive Member

Post by Payn »

Lowest level that you can detect is seeing stars. Any loss of consciousness is another grade up.
SCA Payn D'Spencer Of Warboys. Barony of Madrone. Giving hope to the squires of AnTir.
MKA Ted Zimmers

French Warfare... A knife fight followed by a track meet
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Physical

Headache is the most common MTBI symptom.[19] Other symptoms include dizziness, vomiting, nausea, lack of motor coordination, difficulty balancing,[19] or other problems with movement or sensation. Visual symptoms include light sensitivity,[32] seeing bright lights,[30] blurred vision,[11] and double vision.[33] Tinnitus, or a ringing in the ears, is also commonly reported.[11] In one in about seventy concussions, concussive convulsions occur, but these seizures that take place during or immediately after the concussion are not the same as post-traumatic seizures, and they, unlike post-traumatic seizures, are not in themselves predictive of post-traumatic epilepsy, which requires some form of structural brain damage, not just a momentary disruption in normal brain functioning.[34] Concussive convulsions are thought to result from temporary loss or inhibition of motor function, and are not associated either with epilepsy or with more serious structural damage. They are not associated with any particular sequelae and have the same high rate of favorable outcomes as concussions without convulsions.[35]
Cognitive and emotional

Cognitive symptoms include confusion, disorientation, and difficulty focusing attention. Loss of consciousness may occur but is not necessarily correlated with the severity of the concussion if it is brief.[16] Post-traumatic amnesia, in which the person cannot remember events leading up to the injury or after it, or both, is a hallmark of concussion.[19] Confusion, another concussion hallmark, may be present immediately or may develop over several minutes.[19] A patient may, for example, repeatedly ask the same questions,[36] be slow to respond to questions or directions, have a vacant stare, or have slurred[19] or incoherent speech.[37] Other MTBI symptoms include changes in sleeping patterns[11] and difficulty with reasoning,[33] concentrating, and performing everyday activities.[19]

Affective results of concussion include crankiness, loss of interest in favorite activities or items,[38] tearfulness,[5] and displays of emotion that are inappropriate to the situation.[37] Common symptoms in concussed children include restlessness, lethargy, and irritability.[39]

You don't have to go out to get a concussion, and the effects can be more than you want, even without them. I was t-boned by a car prior to Xmas a couple years ago, and I started misspelling words. Homonyms? I invariably wrote the wrong one, and knew it. I started needing a spell-checker, and this made me more than a little angry. But it wasn't diagnosed as one because as far as I knew, I didn't lose consciousness, and my doctor said that because of that, I didn't have one.

But I still felt like I'd had my ear boxed pretty hard, for months. And I had, when my ear struck the post of the door frame.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
Antonio
Archive Member

Post by Antonio »

Yep. Good posting. Post-Concussion syndrome is no laughing matter.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

You don't have to get a fractured skull, or be in a coma for months. Your brain bounces around, and there isn't any predicting where it will be injured. It can cause personality changes, among other things.

http://nichcy.org/disability/specific/tbi

What is Traumatic Brain Injury?

A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is an injury to the brain caused by the head being hit by something or shaken violently. (The exact definition of TBI, according to special education law, is given below.) This injury can change how the person acts, moves, and thinks. A traumatic brain injury can also change how a student learns and acts in school. The term TBI is used for head injuries that can cause changes in one or more areas, such as:

thinking and reasoning,
understanding words,
remembering things,
paying attention,
solving problems,
thinking abstractly,
talking,
behaving,
walking and other physical activities,
seeing and/or hearing, and
learning.

If you get a concussion, do yourself a favor, and don't fight for a couple months, and see a doctor.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Antonio
Archive Member

Post by Antonio »

And for those wanting to look through it:

http://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-guide ... concussion
Otto von Teich
Archive Member

Post by Otto von Teich »

Dougal Forester wrote:EVERY TIME you lose consciousness from a blow to the head, GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

Mike, (RN)
I shoulda gone at least three times LOL.. "Affective results of concussion include crankiness, loss of interest in favorite activities or items," I've lost interest in things I really loved to do. Up till now, I just assumed poor overall health stopped some of my activites, but now I wonder, some things I LOVED to do, I dont even think about anymore. Some items ( collectibles) I rarely look at anymore, and when I do, I'm no longer very impressed. Thanks for the good article.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

Lloyd Clark
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com