Concussions and CTE

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Tibbie Croser
Archive Member

Re: Concussions and CTE

Post by Tibbie Croser »

Do you think Gawin's conclusions apply better to a spear thrust to the head than a "normal" cut with a stick? I suspect a spear thrust to the front or side of the head may be the blow most likely to move the head and therefore the most dangerous.

I was wondering about the possibility of reducing head movement by having something along the lines of a football or motocross collar to give extra support to the head and neck. Aventails are good for weight, but they're not appropriate for all helms and they have no rigidity or elasticity. I'm imagining something like a medical cervical collar made out of heavy but somewhat flexible leather or plastic, or perhaps instead thick leather straps connecting helm to torso armor. Like a flexible version of the old jousting helms being bolted to the cuirass. I'm imagining this as perhaps extra support for fighters who have long, skinny, less-muscular necks. I emphasize that I'm not talking about something completely rigid. These are just rough ideas.
Flittie Smeddum of Dagorhir
Tibbie Croser of the SCA
John S.
Archive Member

Post by John S. »

A SCA spear thrust is still different than a cut-and-thrust blow--we strike into a target instead of to it.

The more I think about his publication, the more my primary concerns about Gawin's analysis focuses on two points:
(1) Padding should not be modeled as an ideal spring, and
(2) I question whether the neck ever exerts NO force on the head.

If anything in the system gets deformed (whether temporarily like padding or permanently like a helm denting), it does work and that "uses up" the kinetic energy of the blow. This also spreads out the time of the impact--reducing the peak force. Reducing the peak force reduces the peak acceleration.

So an aventaille (for instance) not only helps by adding weight, it also helps by "sloshing around" as your head is displaced.

What you're describing sounds a lot like the neck braces used by racing drivers or the old-school cowboy collars attached to football shoulder pads. If I become worried about this aspect of my health, I would go a different direction and get an early 15th century great bascinet. Although it wouldn't be bolted down like the jousting helms you mentioned, the built-in aventaille/gorget plates would help connect the head and upper body. Since this type of helmet is popular with the ACL/BOTN steel fighters, it would also be way more accessible than a bolted down jousting helm.
John S.
Archive Member

Post by John S. »

If you're worried about it, you should also consider neck strengthening exercises. Look up neck bridges, neck isometrics, and shoulder shrugs with weights.

From a website pertaining to a contact sport specifically practiced by smaller female athletes. http://rollerderbyathletics.com/prehab-neck/
"Comstock’s study “found that for every one-pound increase in neck strength, the chances of sustaining head trauma fell by 5 percent.”[2]

FIVE percent reduced chances, for every ONE pound of strength gain? I will TAKE those odds!

The study (based on high school sports) also shows that girls are more susceptible than boys to concussions, and speculates that smaller neck circumferences (e.g. weaker neck muscles) with the same helmet sizes and weights may contribute. "

For what it's worth--I'm an average-sized American guy, but after years of doing one contact sport or another, my neck circumference is 19"+. I'm convinced this has helped prevent injury. Completely anecdotal, but consistent with at least some of the research.
John S.
Archive Member

Post by John S. »

I'm speculating with this next one, here's another thought about aventailles.

Visualize those old kids toys that inspired the phrase "weebles wobble but they don't fall down." The low center of gravity in combination with the shape made it difficult to tip over. Does an aventaille do the same thing by applying a torque which acts to push the head back towards vertical?

I'd have to know more about the specific type of rotational acceleration that causes concussions to say more about whether this is relevant.
robstout
Archive Member

Post by robstout »

It'd be interesting to see how easy (or hard) it would be to build up neck muscles. Our helmets weigh a lot, at least compared to the roller derby helms (think skateboard helmets), and I suspect most of our necks are pretty built up as it is (IIRC, my neck is 21-22 inches. I have either a huge neck, or no neck).
boris_
Archive Member

Post by boris_ »

robstout wrote:It'd be interesting to see how easy (or hard) it would be to build up neck muscles. Our helmets weigh a lot, at least compared to the roller derby helms (think skateboard helmets), and I suspect most of our necks are pretty built up as it is (IIRC, my neck is 21-22 inches. I have either a huge neck, or no neck).
Wrestling bridges would do that, that said I have no idea the shape of the people attempting it.
Paul the Small wrote:The spirit is wiling, but the bank account is weak.
John S.
Archive Member

Post by John S. »

If I remember correctly, Tibbie is a female rapier fighter who is giving heavy a shot and has mentioned concerns about getting injured due to her smaller size. Hence my use of the roller derby example.

I imagine that there is a point of diminishing returns regarding neck strength and chance of concussion. The citation implies that a 20 pound strength gain would 100% reduce the chances of concussion. This is impossible, so a linear relationship cannot hold across the entire range. Intuitively, I would say those with smaller necks would see the most benefit but that everyone would get some benefit.

As to how easy it is--I'm not sure. I saw a pretty rapid increase in strength when I first started seriously training for sports, but I was also a teenager at the time. The real question is how easy it is for adults. Like most of us, I don't train like that anymore so I can't say for sure.

Even though it's convenient, neck size is also a secondary measure of neck strength. An increase in neck size correlates with an increase in neck strength if and only if body fat content is decreasing or staying constant.
Amanda M
Archive Member

Post by Amanda M »

The weeble wobble feeling of my HMB helm which is way overbuilt compared to an SCA helm and weighs about 15lb, went away completely when I mounted the padded aventail and chain aventail on top. It's anecdotal but then fighting with it I really didn't feel any sense of extra weight or instability. Until I was laying on the ground, then that fucker feels really heavy. My neck is pretty strong because I do barbell training that builds up your neck but the difference with the chainmail and padded aventail on there was huge.
SCA - Sigrith inn Danske
Isabella E (old name)

https://www.facebook.com/windyvalleyfinearts
hrolf
Archive Member

Post by hrolf »

pain heals
chicks dig scars
glory lasts forever
Thorsteinn Raudskeggr
Archive Member

Post by Thorsteinn Raudskeggr »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
When the World shout's "Give Up!", Hope whispers "Try one more time".

"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent
hrolf
Archive Member

Post by hrolf »

Yeah, i'm glad i stopped playing at two-hand touch..
pain heals
chicks dig scars
glory lasts forever
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

hrolf
Archive Member

Post by hrolf »

alma mater, represent!
pain heals
chicks dig scars
glory lasts forever
Diglach Mac Cein
Archive Member

Post by Diglach Mac Cein »

2 years after my initial diagnosis, and things haven't improved. In some ways I am getting worse.

Hand tremors are still sporadic, but when they are going I range from "I look like I am doing a nervous thing with my hands" to "I have trouble using silverware". I once broke 2 plates and 3 glasses in one week because I suddenly dropped them.

Vertigo is still common if I am moving too fast in a tight circle (like 90 degree turns back and forth while putting away groceries) or don't have a clear point of reference when walking - like total darkness or a plain white hallway.

Speech is still bad, some days worse than normal. On a good day people who have hung out with me a lot can tell what I am saying, on bad days, my wife doesn't understand me, and I end up using sign language or writing things down. I CAN work to enunciate better, but it is exhausting. And I can only do it for about an hour or so.

My bi-polar disorder is far more pronounced, I get manic or angry easily - often for no reason. My depression cycles last longer. Meds do help, but they have to change the dosage and mix often, since my brain "gets used to it". We're trying hard to avoid the real heavy duty meds, because of the side effects.

I'm giving up my '67 Nova for a safer car. I can still drive, for now.

I had 3 fighters at Pennsic mock my speech while I was doing inspections. That was shocking.

On the upside, my doc has given me the OK to try fencing. I'm using a helm as opposed to a mask, and I've padded it like my rattan helm was. I have to be aware if I get vertigo though. Not sure about melees.

And yeah, I've become that guy who has been pushing for fighters to get checked out for concussions - even low grade, telling them to not return too early, and change their helmet pads. MY squires are not allowed to use blue camp foam for helms.

Don't screw around with concussions - especially multiple ones over years. It's isn't the severity, it the grand total over time.
Last edited by Diglach Mac Cein on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
McCein Leatherworks and Sutlery - Used / refurbished armor, leatherworks, and accessories -

Check out my FB Page -
CTrumbore
Archive Member

Post by CTrumbore »

Jeez Dig.. I had no idea it was that bad. And I've been saying it for years.. this one is going to hit the SCA hard. There's an old, old joke about "one too many headshots".. unfortunately.. it's not a joke anymore.
Caveat Emptor.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. Anatole France
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Diglach Mac Cein wrote: I had 3 fighters at Pennsic mock my speech while I was doing inspections. That was shocking.
I need to know who those guys were.
I am the SCA's middle finger.
www.clovenshield.org
Diglach Mac Cein
Archive Member

Nissan Maxima wrote:
Diglach Mac Cein wrote: I had 3 fighters at Pennsic mock my speech while I was doing inspections. That was shocking.

I got so pissed I pointed them to another marshal before I lost my temper.

All I know is one was Eastrealm Northern Army, one was fighting with the allies with a group all wearing blue and yellow surcoats, and the third was some generic fighter in red tape.

I got apologies from the MKEM, a couple of deputies, 3 eastern knights and the MK prince. Was told if I could identify them on the field, they would get pulled from battles.
McCein Leatherworks and Sutlery - Used / refurbished armor, leatherworks, and accessories -

Check out my FB Page -
CTrumbore
Archive Member

Post by CTrumbore »

Yellow kitty cat and mountains on a blue tabard?
Caveat Emptor.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. Anatole France
Diglach Mac Cein
Archive Member

CTrumbore wrote:Jeez Dig.. I had no idea it was that bad. And I've been saying it for years.. this one is going to hit the SCA hard. There's an old, old joke about "one too many headshots".. unfortunately.. it's not a joke anymore.
I'm officially considered fully disabled, due to CTE and TBI.

I applied for a job in a warehouse, but my speech issue makes me a work hazard. Same for about 4 other jobs in 4 other industries. Even the on-line customer service jobs are out, because my hand tremors can make my typing look like a turrets attack and at my best I type too slowly to pass the typing tests.

My old job - for 30 years - was sales. Mostly over the phone.

Check out my FB Page -
Diglach Mac Cein
Archive Member

CTrumbore wrote:Yellow kitty cat and mountains on a blue tabard?
Possibly. The charge was yellow.

Check out my FB Page -
thewhaleshark

Post by thewhaleshark »

Diglach Mac Cein wrote:
Nissan Maxima wrote:
All I know is one was Eastrealm Northern Army
As a member of the EK Northern Army, I am disgusted by the reported behavior of my companion-at-arms and would love to help find who it is to vigorously correct the behavior.

"Mean and funny" has a fucking limit.

Any details you can recall would be greatly appreciated.
Magnus hvalmagi
Barony of Concordia of the Snows, East Kingdom

http://www.eastkingdom.org/mediawiki/in ... s_hvalmagi

http://thedraughtsaredeep.wordpress.com
Diglach Mac Cein
Archive Member

I appreciate it Magnus, but not much sticks other than "guy with a beard, sword and shield fighter who was NOT happy he needed to replace / repair all his thrusting tips. Sword, spear, pole - everything. Just built them wrong.

Check out my FB Page -
Diglach Mac Cein
Archive Member

Oh, and the other symptom I forgot (insert joke here) - my memory is spotty. I forget names of people I've known for 20 years. I have to make lists for EVERYTHING. If it has more than 5 steps, I make a list.

I also get lost on occasion. Last Pennsic I forgot how to get back to camp from the battlefield. Mind you, I've camped in the same spot since Pennsic 18. I forgot how to get to the grocery store I've used for 20 years, and is less than 2 miles away. GPS is my friend.

This doesn't happen often, but enough to notice. And if I'm tired / stressed, all my symptoms are more severe and prevalent.

Check out my FB Page -
DanNV
Archive Member

Post by DanNV »

I have been concussed in armor a couple of times. I have had many less than concussive, but still hurt through 10 pounds of helmet and padding, hits over time. (Note, none of them were spear shots or thrusts, all we sword blows, either broad sword or two handed.) I had started to show a few symptoms of post concussive disorder then I had a traffic accident last Sept. Had a head ache and intermittent vertigo for 2 months. (We wont' talk about the back issues.) I now have issues with short term memory and occasional vertigo. Doc says it was a mild concussion.

With 20/20 hindsight and the likelihood of not being able to fight again, I can say we hit too damn hard. Even though we aren't trying to hurt our friends, I'm afraid we are doing just that, a little at a time and after 20+ years of it, it can add up. I'm not sure what we need to do about it, but the issue is there.
Diglach Mac Cein
Archive Member

I think one thing that could change is the pressure - especially with unbelts who are working to get knighted - to "suck it up and play hurt".

I've seen it happen over and over again - not "I got really beaten and am going to sit out" but guys limping off the field, or staggering after getting blown over a hay bale, etc. who are literally badgered into going back out.

That and outlaw blue camp foam as helmet padding. Stuff isn't designed for that use, and breaks down quickly.

Check out my FB Page -
raito
Archive Member

Post by raito »

Sideways to the topic...

When I played HS football, our school had:
3 freshmen teams
2 sophomore teams (the school team, and the city league team)
3 junior/senior teams (varsity, jv, and jr/sr city league)

They'd divide all the freshmen who wanted to play into teams. Sophomores had to try out. Good players made the school team, those too stubborn to quit played city league, and the rest were out of luck. Jr/Sr players still had guys out of luck, but had more options. For example, I was on the city league as a junior, because the coach wanted me playing full time, but had a senior who deserved the jv position. I think each team had around 40 guys on it.

I was watching TV a couple weeks ago, and my high school was playing. But their varsity squad had only 25 guys on it. The school isn't any smaller. Something clearly is going on, and I think the sort of thing we're discussing here is what.
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE; daughter sues NFL, Pats

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAsjSlj?m=en-us
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

Ran across this today
Attachments
22007761_10213108705906393_2010412126509246687_n.jpg
22007761_10213108705906393_2010412126509246687_n.jpg (45 KiB) Viewed 26975 times
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
Thorsteinn Raudskeggr
Archive Member

Post by Thorsteinn Raudskeggr »

Sounds like the test should be run again. With correct materials made & mounted in a correct way (including straw padding cause why not right?), and using a far greater range of mounting systems and padding types. Would give a rather good set of data if done right.
When the World shout's "Give Up!", Hope whispers "Try one more time".

"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent
raito
Archive Member

Post by raito »

Baron Eirik wrote:Ran across this today
I'll bet the area under those curves is pretty close to equal.

It's not the maximum that perturbs me, it's the slope of those curves.
robstout
Archive Member

Post by robstout »

I agree. Same force over less time = more acceleration, which is bad.
SirRobert

Post by SirRobert »

I have used horsehair liners for nearly 20 years now.

However, it is NOT felted horsehair. It is horsehair made into little balls, and stuffed into the channels of the liner. When, ever use, it starts to mat down (i.e. begins to get felted), you take the liner out and wash it. this makes it fluff up again. I do this 2-3 times a year. Makes it act much like closed cell foam.

Robert of Woodsende
West Kingdom
robstout
Archive Member

Post by robstout »

Good point. I see that making the horse hair much less dense.
igelkott
Archive Member

Post by igelkott »

raito wrote: It's not the maximum that perturbs me, it's the slope of those curves.
Jerk.