2017 Show Us Your Kits!

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

2017 Show Us Your Kits!

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Here we are, again... This year I will have something to show off! 'Tis a resolution!

-Gerhard
Anton
Archive Member

Re: 2017 Show Us Your Kits!

Post by Anton »

14721659_10210695874611215_7388342954403508899_n.jpg
14721659_10210695874611215_7388342954403508899_n.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 17521 times

Hopefully it'll appear.

Halloween at work. Wearing the full faceplate, would replace with bargrill for most fighting.

Missing for tournament - cased greaves instead of gutter greaves. Missing 'in general' - voiders and sabatons.

Anton
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

Awesome kit Anton
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Halbrust
Archive Member

Post by Halbrust »

I will be suiting up this year for the first time ever.
I've owned my helmet for six years, but it's never been strapped or padded.

As soon as I have a legal kit to show I will post a picture.
Dietrich von Stroheim
Archive Member

Post by Dietrich von Stroheim »

2017 brings new armor and new soft kit:

Sir Dietrich von Stroheim

The Dietrich Instructional Video Series: http://www.youtube.com/user/DietrichvonStroheim
Josh W
Archive Member

Post by Josh W »

The present state of my kit.
Attachments
19F17d.jpg
19F17d.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 17092 times
"When a land rejects her legends, Sees but falsehoods in the past;
And its people view their Sires in the light of fools and liars,
'Tis a sign of its decline and its glories cannot last."
muttman
Archive Member

Post by muttman »

These were taken earlier this year on my last practice as a squire. Nothing much but the belt, spurs and chain has changed. Sometimes I don't wear the skirt. Usually I fight with an almond shaped kite shield but the paint scheme is almost identical to the heater in the pics. Sabatons of some sort are the major upgrades I'm looking at this year as well as modifying the period shoes I wear so they sit better. I still use a shield basket on my kite and I hate that so probably an HMB style padded glove with spring steel plates over fingers, thumb and outer wrist to replace shield basket this year too. Also new pants. I'm also playing with an idea to mask the steel plate under the mail on the helmet and make it look like the padding that would have existed there in period. Photos by my wife Erica Holcomb- SCA Lady Zinoviia Ivanova
Attachments
last day as a squire.jpg
last day as a squire.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 16939 times
16665616_10155026257372264_8621979763062649233_o.jpg
16665616_10155026257372264_8621979763062649233_o.jpg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 16939 times
"this calls for a special blend of psychology and extreme violence" V. Basterd

Dogs of War Brute Squad
SCA- Sir Ruslan Voronov
Former Squire to Sir Óláfr Fasthaldi
House Anephedros
Maugrim of House Hamilton
Sword Of Cadair Idris EMP
desdinova

Post by desdinova »

So, my story: I dabbled in SCA for about a year when I was stationed in the south and looking for stuff to do on the weekends. I got most of a kit together for heavy but never fought (there was no local fighter practice where I was). When I left the army, I stopped going.

Fencing was my main hobby and my main draw to the SCA in the first place, and now I'm in a small town for college and the local SCA rapier crowd turned out to be the only fencing of any kind within an hour's drive. So for the last couple months I've been going to the local fighter practice.

This last weekend was the first local event since I started going. I knocked the rust off my armor, borrowed a few pieces, and fought a little bit in full kit for the first time.

Here's a picture posing with my new Castille arming sword. The plate is all mine and all mercenary's tailor pieces. I've got a borrowed pickle barrel CoP on under the tabard.

I'd like to keep going with it and fight more. Things I don't yet own: helmet, chest protection, gauntlets. Basically, the most important stuff. I'm considering just buying a cheap starter helm and making a plastic wisby coat of plates just so I can get fighting.
Micah Nelson
Archive Member

Post by Micah Nelson »

My ACL/IMCF 2017 Singles and melee kits. Front views.
Attachments
singles front.JPG
singles front.JPG (50.42 KiB) Viewed 16650 times
melee front.JPG
melee front.JPG (55.82 KiB) Viewed 15614 times
Last edited by Micah Nelson on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overkill is underrated.
Micah Nelson
Archive Member

Post by Micah Nelson »

My ACL/IMCF 2017 Singles and melee kits. Side views.
Attachments
singles left.JPG
singles left.JPG (46.51 KiB) Viewed 15614 times
melee left.JPG
melee left.JPG (40.24 KiB) Viewed 15614 times
Last edited by Micah Nelson on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overkill is underrated.
AriAilin

Post by AriAilin »

Current impression, summer 2017.

While I wrote a post detailing the entire thing, to sum up, my end goal is to portray an English Knight leading up to Agincourt, so 1400 - 1420 ish. So far I think I've made the "poor man-at-arms" category. Having arms and legs before torso is a bit out of order, but the deal I got on them wasn't something I could pass up. Definitely need a cuirass sorted out, as the padded gambeson doesn't really work well under those arms. Also chainmail, there is a startling lack of chainmail. The kit is intended for living history impression and, eventually, HEMA/LH-esque harness fighting.
Cedric
Archive Member

Post by Cedric »

GT5.jpg
GT5.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 16475 times
GT4.jpg
GT4.jpg (64.78 KiB) Viewed 16475 times
Zubeydah
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by Zubeydah »

*blush* I read this as, 'show us your kilts' and was super-excited. :D
But that aside... some beautiful kits here! Well done, gentlemen!
mordreth
Archive Member

Post by mordreth »

Zubeydah wrote:*blush* I read this as, 'show us your kilts' and was super-excited. :D
I would hate for you to be disappointed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRgJO36BY0w

and to apologise (legit video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1B8LdjL-8
Sweat in the tiltyard, or bleed on the field.
Alex Baird
Archive Member

Post by Alex Baird »

Zubeydah wrote:*blush* I read this as, 'show us your kilts' and was super-excited. :D
Just for you, from back in the day...

Current fencing kit, minus the mask:
No, really, I'm serious. Look at my face. :|
Zubeydah

Post by Zubeydah »

mordreth wrote: I would hate for you to be disappointed : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRgJO36BY0w
and to apologise (legit video) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1B8LdjL-8
Honestly... I enjoyed both. Ain't a damn thing wrong with a thick fella in a kilt. I know the audience is supposed to be amused at the heavyset guy dancing, but I was all about it. :)
Alex Baird wrote:Just for you, from back in the day...
Current fencing kit, minus the mask:
:shock: .... Dayum. Mister Alex, *most* impressive ... (and by that, I mean in both, but I freely admit kilts are my Kryptonite ...) :D
mordreth
Archive Member

Post by mordreth »

Zubeydah wrote:
mordreth wrote: I would hate for you to be disappointed : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRgJO36BY0w
and to apologise (legit video) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1B8LdjL-8
Honestly... I enjoyed both. Ain't a damn thing wrong with a thick fella in a kilt. I know the audience is supposed to be amused at the heavyset guy dancing, but I was all about it. :)

:D
You're on the list of folks I really want to meet in real life :) One of my wifes favorite Christmas DVD's has the chieftans, ashley macissac, some serious performers At one point Cara Butler is dancing (name Irish dancer) she scoots across the stange and takes the hand of a burly, older french canadian musican and they're dancing - she's gracefull as all hell, he isn't but is unembarrased, and joyfully clogging away. You're good people

Add on - my son is heavily involved in school, and modern archery - the SCA is ok, but he's not willing to cut into what he has scheduled. He's about 6 foot 2 which makes him slightly taller than his hair (varies between light brown and copper) - any rate a friend of ours was over Debbie saw him in shorts and a t, and said if you ever want to go to a scottish games, or go back to an event I really want to see you in full scottish - I have a lifetime supply of woolensm just ask.
Sweat in the tiltyard, or bleed on the field.
Zubeydah

Post by Zubeydah »

mordreth wrote:You're on the list of folks I really want to meet in real life :)
Awww!! The inverse is also true :)
mordreth wrote: One of my wifes favorite Christmas DVD's has the chieftans, ashley macissac, some serious performers At one point Cara Butler is dancing (name Irish dancer) she scoots across the stange and takes the hand of a burly, older french canadian musican and they're dancing - she's gracefull as all hell, he isn't but is unembarrased, and joyfully clogging away. You're good people
Joy is joy. I can't dance for shit any more (arthritis and undifferentiated connective tissue disease in both hips and knees) but I appreciate those who express it in/with/to music.
mordreth wrote: Add on - my son is heavily involved in school, and modern archery - the SCA is ok, but he's not willing to cut into what he has scheduled. He's about 6 foot 2 which makes him slightly taller than his hair (varies between light brown and copper) - any rate a friend of ours was over Debbie saw him in shorts and a t, and said if you ever want to go to a scottish games, or go back to an event I really want to see you in full scottish - I have a lifetime supply of woolensm just ask.
:shock: #Picsoritdidn'thappen. :D
Columb
Archive Member

Post by Columb »

I recently finished my light-weight flying suit and used it at La Prova Dura di Lochac.

I'm using a slightly modified (extended the arms since the elbows were on my triceps!) off-the-shelf gambeson over hidden armour to simulate a padded jupon.

“Try to become not a man of success, but try rather to become a man of value.”
—Albert Einstein
ArchibaltDavis

Post by ArchibaltDavis »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:Here we are, again... This year I will have something to show off! 'Tis a resolution!

-Gerhard

Well, it's time to share with my favourite kit) It's a full gothic armor suit of the 15th century, made by Steel Mastery. Separately I bought a gambeson, also in this manufacturer and I'm completely satisfied by all of this.
Here is a link of a kit https://steel-mastery.com/full-gothic-p ... ntury.html
Attachments
imgonline-com-ua-Resize-iMl1ao5wiKI.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-Resize-iMl1ao5wiKI.jpg (58.94 KiB) Viewed 15886 times