Hidden Leg Armor Opinions

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
GrumpyMacBastard
Archive Member

Hidden Leg Armor Opinions

Post by GrumpyMacBastard »

I'm updating my kit and one of the things I am doing is having my leg armor hidden. I would like something I can slip on and not worry about. So here is my question, what are the experiences like minded folk have had with Zoombang, Shock Doctor, MotorX compression shorts, etc?

Knee armor I have figured out, and while I can take a shot to the leg and it not cripple me I still would like something there. Brands and recommendations would be appreciated, if it is available on Amazon, post the link.

Thanks!
Corcran mac Diarmata
Archive Member

Re: Hidden Leg Armor Opinions

Post by Corcran mac Diarmata »

I wear a pair of these and love them:

https://smile.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-S ... +shockskin

One of my local knights wears Hockey Referee shorts. They'r not as big and bulky as normal hockey or goalie pants
Remember, we're all just geeks playing dress-up.
robstout
Archive Member

Post by robstout »

I wear hexpad double thudd shorts. They work well until someone lands a blow outside of the padding. I need to reconsider things.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Homebuilt and gamboised -- this is a nonstarter? Why?
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

Hopefully, in a few days, there will be a tutorial available (I'm just the proofreader) :D It'll be worth it!
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

Konstantin the Red wrote:Homebuilt and gamboised -- this is a nonstarter? Why?
Not everyone likes making stuff, Kon. Facts.
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis. -Pindar

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Cedric
Archive Member

Post by Cedric »

I wear zoombang shorts under chainmail (shirt goes to my knees).

I really don't recommend it. It works for me, but I have a high pain tolerance (and I try to not get legged too often :) )
ArchibaltDavis

Post by ArchibaltDavis »

I have such leg protection https://steel-mastery.com/milan-style-p ... rmour.html
I'm completely satisfied with it. Quality, comfort and protection of my legs are in a high level.
Corcran mac Diarmata
Archive Member

Post by Corcran mac Diarmata »

That doesn't exactly qualify as "hidden" though does it?
Remember, we're all just geeks playing dress-up.
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Post by Johann ColdIron »

Corcran mac Diarmata wrote:That doesn't exactly qualify as "hidden" though does it?

If you wore it under pants... :D

I've used motocross knees from Thorlo and Alpine Star as hidden knees. Only in conjunction with a High top late period leather boot upper as the side protection is a bit short for my liking without. But really depends on how you are built.

IIRC the THorlos knee cop cracked after a couple years of use. The Alpine Star is built like a structural knee brace with a more floating center cop and have held up better.

No quisse with them. I made floating ones out of ABS that hang from a waist belt that overlap the top of the knee assembly.
John Cope/ Sir Johann ColdIron, Master- Order of the Laurel

I'm not dead yet!
Bob H
Archive Member

Post by Bob H »

Johann ColdIron wrote:
Corcran mac Diarmata wrote:That doesn't exactly qualify as "hidden" though does it?

If you wore it under pants... :D

I've used motocross knees from Thorlo and Alpine Star as hidden knees. Only in conjunction with a High top late period leather boot upper as the side protection is a bit short for my liking without. But really depends on how you are built.

IIRC the THorlos knee cop cracked after a couple years of use. The Alpine Star is built like a structural knee brace with a more floating center cop and have held up better.

No quisse with them. I made floating ones out of ABS that hang from a waist belt that overlap the top of the knee assembly.
In one of my last "death throes" trying to get back to fighting, I bought hockey shorts for the hips, and MX leg armour. I wore it all over town under a pair of pants and no one gave it a second glance. It needed extra protection for the outside of the knees, though.

I haven't given up. At the current rate that the docs are scheduling me, I might be ready to take the field again before I hit 70. The fishing here sucks.
Are we having fun yet?