Any quality decorative swords?

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Saxon1974

Any quality decorative swords?

Post by Saxon1974 »

Hello all,

Anyone know where to find any quality decorative medieval European swords?

The decoratives are cheaper as they are simpler to make and many have stainless blades which are much easier to maintain. Problem is I don't find any that look nice (close to actual real medieval swords). Most are under 100$ and look like garbage.

I have a couple of real swords already and was just looking for a couple for display only. Am I better off just looking for a real 200-300$ cheapish seord from something like museum replicas? Looking in the 200-400$ range.

For example this one?
https://www.museumreplicas.com/sword-of-tancred
C. Gadda
Archive Member

Re: Any quality decorative swords?

Post by C. Gadda »

Well, you can look at Kult of Athena, and check out Deepeeka offerings. Those are inexpensive ($100-$200, depending on exact model) and actually don't look too bad. Some are even semi-functional. Here is the page:
http://www.kultofathena.com/deepeeka-swords.asp
Marshal
Blatant Radical

Post by Marshal »

The Museum Replicas things aren't "real swords" either, but they do make better decorative wallhangers than the common run of decorative wallhangers.

You can find some less expensive Hanwei/Paul Chen swords from places like CAS Iberia for around $200, which is less than the MR sword you linked...albeit they tend to be somewhat simpler and less ornate.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

C. Gadda wrote:Well, you can look at Kult of Athena, and check out Deepeeka offerings. Those are inexpensive ($100-$200, depending on exact model) and actually don't look too bad. Some are even semi-functional. Here is the page:
http://www.kultofathena.com/deepeeka-swords.asp
Thanks. I have looked at KOA. I have seen some deepeka blades in person and I find they look worse up close than in the photos. I might be willing to go up to the 400-500$ price point and look at the Darksword armory stuff too if I find one I like enough. I have a few bangers but nothing that really pops on a display so looks like a stainless decorative isn't going to work for me from what I can see of those types of swords. Might have to just get a pricier one and throw some rennaisance oil on it.

Opinions on the Darksword Armory offerings? I realize these are full tang high carbon blades which is cool but I am curious how they look up close for display at the 500$ price point.

I just got a work bonus and tax return so this might be a bad (or good) time to shop!
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Marshal wrote:The Museum Replicas things aren't "real swords" either, but they do make better decorative wallhangers than the common run of decorative wallhangers.
Understood, I guess I meant just real carbon steel blades as opposed to stainless (no maintenance for a display). Agree though I cant find any of the decorative's that look well...decorative to me lol
Marshal wrote:You can find some less expensive Hanwei/Paul Chen swords from places like CAS Iberia for around $200, which is less than the MR sword you linked...albeit they tend to be somewhat simpler and less ornate.

Thanks will take a gander at these.
Otto von Teich
Archive Member

Post by Otto von Teich »

I got one of these. http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... +Longsword looks like they are out of stock at present. Overall a nice sword for the money. Its light and fast. cuts pretty good as well. I got mine sharpened. The blades a little whippy, the tip rattles a bit in the scabbard, but the fit and finish was pretty good. The addition of a nice scabbard with a belt is a pretty good value for $199 ( I did one of the two reviews on the site) no problems with excess epoxy on mine. No scuffs on my scabbard or belt. The belt fits me fine, with a 36-38" waist. If you have a 46" waist or more it may not fit.
Not super fancy, but nice.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Otto von Teich wrote:I got one of these. http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... +Longsword looks like they are out of stock at present. Overall a nice sword for the money. Its light and fast. cuts pretty good as well. I got mine sharpened. The blades a little whippy, the tip rattles a bit in the scabbard, but the fit and finish was pretty good. The addition of a nice scabbard with a belt is a pretty good value for $199 ( I did one of the two reviews on the site) no problems with excess epoxy on mine. No scuffs on my scabbard or belt. The belt fits me fine, with a 36-38" waist. If you have a 46" waist or more it may not fit.
Not super fancy, but nice.
Wow that looks like quite a deal with the scabbard included. Good find.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Cold Steel (of Ventura, CA) has many offerings in your price range. They have a handsome and non-wristbiting Scottish baskethilt, accessorizable with a dirk that's good in the hand. (You'd be on your own for a leather covered targe.) The remarkable thing is it costs just about what I paid for the less-authentic Museum Replicas baskethilt (that bites the wrist, as built) 35 years ago. Cold Steel also offers polymer wasters, good for pells and such.
losthelm
Archive Member

Post by losthelm »

There are a lot of options depending on what type your looking for and where you are.
Henwei cas iberia has some that can be altered or adapted with just a little work.
Wilhelm Smydle in the SCA

My Ebay Listings
My ETSY