fighting SCA with cervelliere and great helm combo

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Ringlancer
Archive Member

fighting SCA with cervelliere and great helm combo

Post by Ringlancer »

Hi folks!
Does anyone know of someone doing the mini bascinet/cerveilliere (sp) and great helm combo? If so, how well did it work?

I imagine calibration would be an issue, and maybe weight, although the internal helmet would not need to be of the same heavy gauge as the outer helm.

Thoughts?
William Ringlancer of Locksley
Squire to Saint Sir Marco Valerio DiBartolomeo (Caid)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Building a Better Bill Every Day.
William of Richwood
Archive Member

Re: fighting SCA with cervelliere and great helm combo

Post by William of Richwood »

I seem to recall Duke Jonathon von Trotha, Atenveldt, having such a setup for a pas des armes at Drachenwalds 10 year celebration as a kingdom. Now that is over 15 years ago but knowing both Jonathon and his love for nice helmets I'm certain he still have it.

I have not tried that setup but have a dual-helmet setup of sorts as well: an inner helmet for protection of the sides and back of head, neck and face and over that a padded hood and mail. on top of it all a conical with a nasal. Yes, it becomes slightly heavier than other helmets, the mail+padding over the metal make shots sound different than rattan on metal so it took a little thinking to get used to but not more than any other new helm or other bit of armour.
Seek victory at all times, but fear dishonor more than you fear capture or death.
Bo Harris
Archive Member

Post by Bo Harris »

John Meyer of Cliffside Armoury wears a bascinet under greathelm. Heavy, but it works well. I know he has made similar setups for a few other people.
One factor is whether you want your under-helmet to be SCA legal as well as the combo. I am working on a cervelliere that's 16g and doesn't have full coverage, but would be SCA legal once the great helm is on. I don't have the option of one or both, but it does drop the bulk significantly.
Arthur Archer (mka Bo Harris)
paulb
Archive Member

Post by paulb »

There was a knight in CAID in the 70s and 80s who had epilepsy, which meant that he couldn't take a hard blow to the head. He had a greathelm that rested on a harness strapped to his shoulders and upper torso. Underneath, I think he wore something like a motorcycle liner, which was not SCA legal. Nobody thought it had to be. Calibration was an issue, but he dealt with it pretty well.
Paul

Nyckname

Post by Nyckname »

paulb wrote:There was a knight in CAID in the 70s and 80s who...
Sir Robear du Bois,