To Restore a Neglected Sword

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Donal Mac Ruiseart
Archive Member
Location: North Frontier, Barony of Marinus, Kingdom of Atlantia (Norfolk, Virginia USA)

To Restore a Neglected Sword

Post by Donal Mac Ruiseart »

I have been entrusted with a sword that was the property of a deceased Knight. It was in the keeping of his mother for many years, and now that the lady is moving into assisted living, she entrusted the blade to me, as one who called him friend during his lifetime.

The sword has suffered benign neglect. I'm not sure of the full nature of its metal, but it is steel, and not stainless. The blade is mostly dull gray, with a few spots of rust, but my principal concern is that the last inch or so is encrusted with rust.

I want to remove the rust and bring the blade to at least a soft patina.

Will someone please advise me how to proceed?
Donal Mac Ruiseart O. Pel
Squire to Viscount Tojenareum Grenville (TJ)

Be without fear in the face of thine enemies
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee
Speak the truth always even if it means thy death
Protect the helpless and do no wrong
C. Gadda
Archive Member

Re: To Restore a Neglected Sword

Post by C. Gadda »

Pix would help. For starters, use course steel wool to get any loose rust off. From there one can either more aggressively sand with varying grits of sandpaper and/or use ScotchBrite wheels and similar to polish.

With good pix I could give you more useful advice.
Donal Mac Ruiseart
Archive Member
Location: North Frontier, Barony of Marinus, Kingdom of Atlantia (Norfolk, Virginia USA)

Post by Donal Mac Ruiseart »

Did you also see my post on Facebook?
Donal Mac Ruiseart O. Pel
Squire to Viscount Tojenareum Grenville (TJ)

Be without fear in the face of thine enemies
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee
Speak the truth always even if it means thy death
Protect the helpless and do no wrong
C. Gadda
Archive Member

Post by C. Gadda »

You'd have to give me a FB link... short answer is "no" I've not seen it.
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Post by Johann ColdIron »

Don't do facebook but would love to offer my help to return a Knights sword to utility. As CG said pics help a bunch

Sounds like this was stored in a scabbard. I've dealt with similar corrosion from that. Tips particularly suffer as they are in contact with the ground/floor and can draw up moisture through the leather.

Crusty rust can be gently scraped away with a razor blade or other flat blade. Take care to use only the flat of blade and not the corner as that will scratch the surface. Once that active corrosion is gone you can deal with the actual surface. If pitted you can consider sanding but depending on the surface of the rest of the blade this could turn into a complete refinish if the area to be treated is changes from matching the rest. If you do so us a sanding block to prevent rounding of details or the cutting edge. Work from the grit that removes the most pitting to where you want to stop. I usually stop at around 220grit with used stuff. High polish will show any imperfections. Some pitting is too deep to treat and must be lived with.

Scotch brite comes in a variety of grits and can be used to blend the surface as well. Use a block with those as well unless the area is confined.

Don't rehouse the sword in a scabbard unless the blade is oiled and the interior of the leather treated. I prefer Fluid film these days. It is lanolin based and not harsh on leather, steel or wood for that matter.
John Cope/ Sir Johann ColdIron, Master- Order of the Laurel

I'm not dead yet!