Atlantian Crown

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Nothing funny, I looked for Malcolm in a houppeland but my first thought on a houppeland is the full length huge sleeved garments like you see in Henry V era art.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
blackbow
Archive Member

Post by blackbow »

tlast wrote:
DarkApprentice wrote:I don't "know" any of the fighters... what would ever make you think that?

I didn't mean to imply that you know any of the fighters personally, or, uh, "know" them more personally. I was just curious about the fighters you had listed as "not familiar with" or "Who?". You called the "under 10-1" odds fighters very well, but what about the "relative unknowns"?

Let me know who you want a report on, and I'll check with my sources...

Specifically?

Talun MacDubhagain- 25-1
Sir Tascius Severus Fabius- 25-1
Sean MacKelly 30-1
Luther Josephus 30-1
Raven MacGregor- 30-1

Just curious as to how their fights went.

Thanks!

Talun won 1 or 2, dern if I can remember who he beat. He fought with sword and madu and he's a lefty, and (I thought) fights better than he did that day.
Tascius lost to Brandon, don't remember if that was his first or second loss.
Sean MacKelly lost to Count Val in the first round and Luther Josephus in the second. There is speculation that his helmet wasn't allowing him to see much.
Luther lost in the first round to Raven (who is Baron of Black Diamond, BTW), beat Sean in the second round, and lost to Eigill in the third.
Raven beat Luther in the first round and lost the next two after that, IIRC.

That's all I remember of the ones you asked about -

Regards,

Jonathan Blackbow
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

I have the entire tree, but it's an excel file and I have no Idea how to web it. Sorry. :roll:
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

shoot it to me and i will put it up on my site

regards
logan

BdeB wrote:I have the entire tree, but it's an excel file and I have no Idea how to web it. Sorry. :roll:
Ebonwoulfe Armory is fully stocked with spears again! For now the only way to order them is to send an email to ebonwoulfearmory@gmail.com with the quantity and your shipping address. We will send a PayPal invoice in response including your shipping cost.
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

dukelogan wrote:shoot it to me and i will put it up on my site

regards
logan

BdeB wrote:I have the entire tree, but it's an excel file and I have no Idea how to web it. Sorry. :roll:

Will do.

I think there is something a little screw with how it is laid out but I haven't had time to ask Master John about it.
Uneg
Archive Member

Post by Uneg »

Awesome, thank you all for your responses. I'm a huge fight fan and appreciate the statistics.
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

just got it let me see what i can do

regards
logan
Ebonwoulfe Armory is fully stocked with spears again! For now the only way to order them is to send an email to ebonwoulfearmory@gmail.com with the quantity and your shipping address. We will send a PayPal invoice in response including your shipping cost.
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

try this:

http://ebonwoulfe.com/crownlist.htm

regards
logan
Uneg
Archive Member

Post by Uneg »

Beautiful. Thank you!
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

updated showing totals for each fighter

regards
logan
Sinclair Hawkins
Archive Member

Post by Sinclair Hawkins »

dukelogan wrote:try this:

regards
logan

Looks like it works fine. Now I get to go over the tree and play the "what if" game and wonder about how things would have turned out different if...
Sir Sinclair

"Do not DARE to complain about that which you can change"
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

why? what ifs do nothing overall. the better question is what do you need to do so that next time you only have to look at your score in the end. like roberts. its always easier that way. trust me.

:wink:
logan

Sinclair Hawkins wrote:
dukelogan wrote:try this:

regards
logan

Looks like it works fine. Now I get to go over the tree and play the "what if" game and wonder about how things would have turned out different if...
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

Once you remove the spreadsheet lines it makes sense. On the orginial version I had you couldnt see the tree progress. Thank you Your Grace!

Logan totals remove challange-ins from the won/lose ratio, which is the correct way to do it. If you put them in it tell you how many figths a fighter actually had, but not how they did round wise. (For instance, I fought four fights, and won two of them, but the way it is listed is correct in that I was 1-2 because of those fights was a challenge in to keep my spot on the tree.)
"I think you're wrong in your understanding of fighting.... though what you have written is very manly, it does not convey a real sense of clue...." - Sir Christian The German
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

actually did include challenge fights as they would count if you won or lost. i just got confused when i did yours and omitted one win. you ended up 2-2 and i have updated that now. sorry about that. you need to have even totals in order for the tree to make sense. now all totals are part of even sets 0-2's, 1-2's, 2-2's etc. this only changes in for the finalist. you are correct in that it doesnt indicate which round a fighter goes out in accuratly but it does better show the day they had. when looking at the overall scheme of things and judging how well someone did this is important.

anyone else finds something askew please let me know.

regards
logan

BdeB wrote:Once you remove the spreadsheet lines it makes sense. On the orginial version I had you couldnt see the tree progress. Thank you Your Grace!

Logan totals remove challange-ins from the won/lose ratio, which is the correct way to do it. If you put them in it tell you how many figths a fighter actually had, but not how they did round wise. (For instance, I fought four fights, and won two of them, but the way it is listed is correct in that I was 1-2 because of those fights was a challenge in to keep my spot on the tree.)
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

Oh, ok. I just assumed that you weren't counting challenges, but round,no shakes. That round was funky because both raven and I got challenged so I had to fight both the challengers and beat them to advance one round.
"I think you're wrong in your understanding of fighting.... though what you have written is very manly, it does not convey a real sense of clue...." - Sir Christian The German
Heairn
Archive Member

Post by Heairn »

dukelogan wrote:why? what ifs do nothing overall. the better question is what do you need to do so that next time you only have to look at your score in the end. like roberts. its always easier that way. trust me.

logan

I'd echo His Grace Logan's point here. Never look at what if's... you'll just tear your gut up. "If I had beaten XX..the day would have been better" is a fallacy. It's too close to having regrets.

Look at what happened, look at your day and how you got where you got. Note, I'm not saying "be content"..but I'm saying look at things that will make a difference: the fights themselves. It's in that where you'll find the keys to unlock the potential that's still within.

At least.. for me, that's where I find something I can DO something about. I can't change the past.. but I sure as HECK can learn to block that dang leaping snap.

Malcolm
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Brian de Lorne
Archive Member

Post by Brian de Lorne »

Could someone explain the challenge in's right quick? Like, I see that Afshin went 1-2, but I only see his name on the tree twice, and both look like losses?
Brian de Lorne
"I know you belive you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

odd number of fighters so the lowest in the op have to challenge into a round to fight.

afshin challenged in round one and lost to roland. in round two afshin challenged and defeated raven which gave him a spot in the losers bracket (having suffered one lose in his forst round challenge attempt). round two starts and bryce defeats afshin. thus, afshin fought three fights total and won one.

clear? 8)
logan

Mailagnas wrote:Could someone explain the challenge in's right quick? Like, I see that Afshin went 1-2, but I only see his name on the tree twice, and both look like losses?
Brian de Lorne
Archive Member

Post by Brian de Lorne »

Gotcha, makes perfect sense, so the one's beat with the challenge in's have lines through them. Thx your grace!
Brian de Lorne
"I know you belive you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Sinclair Hawkins
Archive Member

dukelogan wrote:why? what ifs do nothing overall. the better question is what do you need to do so that next time you only have to look at your score in the end. like roberts. its always easier that way. trust me.

Yes Sir... I wasn't second guessing my fighting so much as saying, "what do I think would have happened if say Count Valharic and HRH had gotten each other as first round opponents..." and then tried to figure out the tree from there. Silly true but it was mostly an exercise in how well I think I know the crown list fighters and how I think they would do in head to head battles that did not take place that day.

Just part of studying the field.

I think I prefer a score like Roberts myself and certainly will do my best in 6 months to achieve the same.
Sir Sinclair

Sinclair Hawkins
Archive Member

Heairn wrote:
I'd echo His Grace Logan's point here. Never look at what if's... you'll just tear your gut up. "If I had beaten XX..the day would have been better" is a fallacy. It's too close to having regrets.

Look at what happened, look at your day and how you got where you got. Note, I'm not saying "be content"..but I'm saying look at things that will make a difference: the fights themselves. It's in that where you'll find the keys to unlock the potential that's still within.

At least.. for me, that's where I find something I can DO something about. I can't change the past.. but I sure as HECK can learn to block that dang leaping snap.

Malcolm

I understand your point and realized how badly I described how I was doing my "what if's". As I described above, I was changing around the order of the initial tree and wondering stuff like "If X had fought Y in the first round... who do I think would have won?" Just wondering what the outcomes of different matchups would have been like. Just an exercise in comparing different fighters stengths and weaknesses.

I certainly do understand the benefits of reviewing my fights both to see good things and bad in my fights.

And your description of the leaping flat snap makes me think you have seen Count Valharic fight before. He leaves the ground on several of his shots. Changes the angles that need to be blocked quite a bit at times.
Sir Sinclair

Sinclair Hawkins
Archive Member

Mailagnas wrote:Gotcha, makes perfect sense, so the one's beat with the challenge in's have lines through them. Thx your grace!

Mailagnas, I see you are in SC as I am. Are you going to be at Feast of the Unicorn in a few weeks?

Just wondering...
Sir Sinclair

Brian de Lorne
Archive Member

Post by Brian de Lorne »

Sinclair Hawkins wrote:
Mailagnas wrote:Gotcha, makes perfect sense, so the one's beat with the challenge in's have lines through them. Thx your grace!

Mailagnas, I see you are in SC as I am. Are you going to be at Feast of the Unicorn in a few weeks?

Just wondering...

I will definitely be there, day tripping with my wife and brother, and most likely I will be fighting (if I can authorize!). I live in Cyddlain Downs, who's hosting the event, so I wouldn't miss it. We were at crown, but stayed in the background since neither my wife nor I are initially outgoing. Working on that though! 8)

Oh, and I'll be the obvious newb fighter in the ashcraft baker helm, red tunic, and plain black birch heater!
Brian de Lorne
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

Sinclair Hawkins wrote:
Heairn wrote:

And your description of the leaping flat snap makes me think you have seen Count Valharic fight before. He leaves the ground on several of his shots. Changes the angles that need to be blocked quite a bit at times.

POT! Thou art BLACK!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Sinclair Hawkins
Archive Member

Mailagnas wrote:I will definitely be there, day tripping with my wife and brother, and most likely I will be fighting (if I can authorize!). I live in Cyddlain Downs, who's hosting the event, so I wouldn't miss it. We were at crown, but stayed in the background since neither my wife nor I are initially outgoing. Working on that though! 8)

Oh, and I'll be the obvious newb fighter in the ashcraft baker helm, red tunic, and plain black birch heater!

I will look for you there then. I will be fairly easy to find for the first part of the day. I will be on Vigil that morning and thus fairly immobile. Later, I will be the guy wandering around with the dazed look on my face though I do not know if that look will be more because of the shear weight and importance of the honor being bestoyed upon me that day that I still have trouble beginning to comprehend or if it will be the aftereffects of the Buffet. Maybe a little of both.

Come find me and we can introduce each other. It's always good to meet the new local fighters. Anything I can do to help, just let me know.
Sir Sinclair

Sinclair Hawkins
Archive Member

BdeB wrote:
Sinclair Hawkins wrote:

POT! Thou art BLACK!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I never said he was the ONLY one who did that jump throw combination... I have seen some of the best throw that way.

I might have even thrown a shot or two that way myself... once in a while... occasionally.

Maybe.

B~)
Sir Sinclair

Brian de Lorne
Archive Member

Post by Brian de Lorne »

Sinclair Hawkins wrote:
I will look for you there then. I will be fairly easy to find for the first part of the day. I will be on Vigil that morning and thus fairly immobile. Later, I will be the guy wandering around with the dazed look on my face though I do not know if that look will be more because of the shear weight and importance of the honor being bestoyed upon me that day that I still have trouble beginning to comprehend or if it will be the aftereffects of the Buffet. Maybe a little of both.

Come find me and we can introduce each other. It's always good to meet the new local fighters. Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Congratulations on your ascension, btw! I am very excited since this will be the first knighting I will have the opportunity to witness and after reading the thread on Buffets, I'm most intrigued to see it first hand! From what I've noted of you on the boards, I'm sure you're a fine cadidate for knighthood, and will make an excellent Knight! Good luck to you, and see you there!
Brian de Lorne
Sinclair Hawkins
Archive Member

Mailagnas wrote:Congratulations on your ascension, btw! I am very excited since this will be the first knighting I will have the opportunity to witness and after reading the thread on Buffets, I'm most intrigued to see it first hand! From what I've noted of you on the boards, I'm sure you're a fine cadidate for knighthood, and will make an excellent Knight! Good luck to you, and see you there!

Since it is your first opportunity to see a Knighting I will do my best. I know it will be a grand day for me but I may have a slightly biased opinion. I hope my buffet does not live up to some of the examples given (broken bones, dislocated teeth, unconsciousness...)

Save a few fights for me for after the tourney okay?
Sir Sinclair

dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

oh ye of little faith......... surely you know better than to think i would hit you that hard. i could if you wanted me to..... :twisted:

hell, it was once suggested that is the exact manner in whcih we operate. and on this very board. some stupidity about us beating a guy up..... and here i would have the opportunity to create even more gossip and childish goings on if only i hit you hard. i know, maybe a fake tooth. i buffet you stagger about and spit a fake tooth or two out. man what fun.

logan

Sinclair Hawkins wrote:
Mailagnas wrote:Congratulations on your ascension, btw! I am very excited since this will be the first knighting I will have the opportunity to witness and after reading the thread on Buffets, I'm most intrigued to see it first hand! From what I've noted of you on the boards, I'm sure you're a fine cadidate for knighthood, and will make an excellent Knight! Good luck to you, and see you there!

Since it is your first opportunity to see a Knighting I will do my best. I know it will be a grand day for me but I may have a slightly biased opinion. I hope my buffet does not live up to some of the examples given (broken bones, dislocated teeth, unconsciousness...)

Save a few fights for me for after the tourney okay?
Uilleag
Archive Member

Post by Uilleag »

Your Grace,

I hope that you are joking.

With respect,
Uilleag
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

which part?

the part about doing something silly during his knighting? absolutely!

the part where i/we were accused of beating the crap out of a guy at an event? nope, happened right here. funny how many people got all bent about that one before even thinking. or, that odd concept, looking for some facts. was very sad really.

regards
logan

Uilleag=House of the Wolf wrote:Your Grace,

With respect,
Uilleag
Archive Member

Post by Uilleag »

I was refering to the silliness at the knighting ceremony. We have spoken about the accusations that happened on the archive in person, I know about that sad situation.....if not first-hand.

I thought that you were joking, I just wanted to confirm. No need to start another round of silly rumors.

Respectfully,
Uilleag
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

Man, those shields are big.
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Alcyoneus »

Uilleag=House of the Wolf wrote:Your Grace,

With respect,

dukelogan wrote:which part?

the part about doing something silly during his knighting? absolutely!

regards
logan

If you did something silly during the knighting ceremony, without the participants being in on it, the only thing I could say would be

BAD DUKE! NO DONUT! ;-)
My 10yo daughter says I'm pretty!

Squire to Jarl Asgeirr Gunnarson, Barony of Vatavia, Calontir