Atlantian Crown

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
blackbow
Archive Member

Post by blackbow »

Dark Victory wrote:My bookie sources tell me that Sir Godfried just withdrew from the Tourney.

That makes the first round look like this:

Valharic vs. Sean
Robert vs. Henri
Bryce vs. Jonathan
Roland vs. Bryan(Damuth)
Tascius vs. Brandon
Raven vs. Mungoe
Talun vs. Brian Killian
Acbar vs. Sinclair

With Afshin, Egil and Luther getting to challenge in.

assuming a straight OP draw. It's always possible TRM's could choose to randomly select the challenge-ins...it's been done before.

Regards,

Jonathan Blackbow
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

maybe we will all be lucky and it will be a blind draw, double elim. i so hate the bs way most lists are done.

logan
Ebonwoulfe Armory is fully stocked with spears again! For now the only way to order them is to send an email to ebonwoulfearmory@gmail.com with the quantity and your shipping address. We will send a PayPal invoice in response including your shipping cost.
Sinclair Hawkins
Archive Member

Post by Sinclair Hawkins »

dukelogan wrote:maybe we will all be lucky and it will be a blind draw, double elim. i so hate the bs way most lists are done.

logan

I guess we will not find out for certain until Saturday... It could be anything they want through correct. They could declare it a polearm only tourney of they wished couldn't they? Are there any specific rules about the format for Crown in Kingdom or Society Law?
Sir Sinclair

"Do not DARE to complain about that which you can change"
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

unfortuantly all sorts of crazed lunacy has crept into our crown lists before. i hope those days are passed and it can be nothing more than a contest between men. can you tell i hate when that contest is triffled with?

the only rule is that it must be a double elimination single combat format. of course there are a few ways to look at that. as you know we have seen best two of three per round, twice, to advance. while i agree that a format like that removes the goob factor it also leads to fighters being too exhausted to fight properly. save that stuff for the woods at pennsic thank you. however, i like the goob factor. hell, if a lesser skilled fighter can tag me because i got lazy or, better yet, tag me because he threw a great shot, then so be it. sure, in a two out of three, twice, round i probably stand a better chance at winning but i find that a hard sell.

i havent heard what trms are planning. hopefully it will be a simple test of skill and nothing more.

regards
logan

Sinclair Hawkins wrote:
dukelogan wrote:maybe we will all be lucky and it will be a blind draw, double elim. i so hate the bs way most lists are done.

logan

I guess we will not find out for certain until Saturday... It could be anything they want through correct. They could declare it a polearm only tourney of they wished couldn't they? Are there any specific rules about the format for Crown in Kingdom or Society Law?
Ebonwoulfe Armory is fully stocked with spears again! For now the only way to order them is to send an email to ebonwoulfearmory@gmail.com with the quantity and your shipping address. We will send a PayPal invoice in response including your shipping cost.
Broadway
Moderator on Sabbatical

Post by Broadway »

the only rule is that it must be a double elimination single combat format

Pure curiosity... what was the reasoning behind not allowing single elim?
dulce periculum
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

Kingdom Law. :twisted:
"I think you're wrong in your understanding of fighting.... though what you have written is very manly, it does not convey a real sense of clue...." - Sir Christian The German
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

actually its societal law bryce.

im not sure why its like that. i could speculate that it is set up to remove a little of the goob factor i opined in my last post. but im not sure.

regards
logan
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

Your Grace,

While it mimics SCA law, it is in fact, in Kingdom Law as well:

( http://law.atlantia.sca.org/Law.pdf )
6.2.5.2 The Crown Tournament shall be a double elimination tournament.
"I think you're wrong in your understanding of fighting.... though what you have written is very manly, it does not convey a real sense of clue...." - Sir Christian The German
Heairn
Archive Member

Post by Heairn »

dukelogan wrote:actually its societal law bryce.

regards
logan

Your Grace,

I can only find the following:
A. Selection
1. Royal Lists must be conducted at a tournament announced in the kingdom newsletter as being for
that purpose. Crowns or Coronets who wish to conduct a royal list in a manner other than
individual combat must obtain the prior approval of the Board of Directors.

...this tells me that it has to be single combat.. but nothing says that a Sovereign can't make it Round Robin or single elimination. I know Aethelmearc Law requires Double-Elim as does Atlantian, but I believe the only Society requirement is that it's one-on-one combat.

Please let me know if I've overlooked the Corpora statement requiring such.

Thanks.
Malcolm
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

hmmmm. well it looks like i am either remembering incorrectly or something has changed in societal law. thank you for the edification your highness.

regards
logan

sorry bryce, i was sure i was correct but it appears not. :oops:

Heairn wrote:

regards
logan

Your Grace,

A. Selection
1. Royal Lists must be conducted at a tournament announced in the kingdom newsletter as being for
that purpose. Crowns or Coronets who wish to conduct a royal list in a manner other than

...this tells me that it has to be single combat.. but nothing says that a Sovereign can't make it Round Robin or single elimination. I know Aethelmearc Law requires Double-Elim as does Atlantian, but I believe the only Society requirement is that it's one-on-one combat.

Thanks.
Malcolm
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

AH HA!!! I GOT YA!!!! :lol: :lol:

Now the Dance of a Thousand Dances will begin!!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Actually, I think they changed the wording of the SCA law after the Aveloc mellee crown thingy. Cos I thought Double Elim was in there as well.
BdeB

dukelogan wrote:hmmmm. well it looks like i am either remembering incorrectly or something has changed in societal law. thank you for the edification your highness.

regards
logan

sorry bryce, i was sure i was correct but it appears not. :oops:

Heairn wrote:

regards
logan

Your Grace,

A. Selection

Thanks.
Malcolm
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

wow..... :shock:

glad i could help out :wink:

BdeB wrote:AH HA!!! I GOT YA!!!! :lol: :lol:

Now the Dance of a Thousand Dances will begin!!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Actually, I think they changed the wording of the SCA law after the Aveloc mellee crown thingy. Cos I thought Double Elim was in there as well.
BdeB

Heairn
Archive Member

Post by Heairn »

See.. I thought it was too. The reason I happen to be looking at it was that Aethelmearc Law would conflict if it was, because the Crown may change the double-elim format if the participants number fewer than sixteen.

I'm glad to see that it is not..and that I'm not just being screwy-eyed blind... (which happens far too often.)

Malcolm
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

[quote="dukelogan"]wow..... :shock:

glad i could help out :wink:

That's because your a GIVER! You GIVE! :lol: :twisted:
Winterfell
Archive Member

Post by Winterfell »

Aveloc mellee crown thingy?
What happened?
You have to push the little yellow button to load it.
Sir Varus
Archive Member

Post by Sir Varus »

Winterfell wrote:Aveloc mellee crown thingy?
What happened?

My understanding is that the finalists of Crown were required to assemble an army each to do battle, the winner being the captain of the winning team. While it was felt that this was a very cool idea, and very period for a number of cultures, I believe that there were fears of abuse (bribery, favoritism, etc.). So while there was nothing overtly wrong with the format, the BoD decided it maybe wasn't such a great idea going forward.

Regarding the double-elim thing, Ansteorra has single-elim, doesn't it, and the Board hasn't complained yet. I'm pretty certain that the only requirement is single-combat. After all, both Drachenwald and Ealdormere have used round-robin quite successfully.

Varus
DarkApprentice
Archive Member
Location: R'lyeh: 47 degrees 9 minutes south, 126 degrees 43 minutes west

Post by DarkApprentice »

Congratulations to Sir Robert de Rath, winner of Atlantian Crown.

At 8-1, he finally closed it out and won a major tournament!!! (yeah Robert!). He overcame Count Sir Valharic in the third round of the best of three finals (Valharic won the first round, and Robert the next two).

The semifinalists were Sinclair Hawkins and Jonathon Blackbow, which means all of my "Less than 10-1" fighters made it to the semis ;)

Payout will take place at Pennisc, so the Big Winner who bet a "couple of beers" on Robert can come by and claim their "case of Icehouse" at my camp (or Logan's) at Pennsic this year.

Congratulations again to HRH Robert de Rath.

The Darke One

DarkApprentice wrote:Here's the moment you've been waiting for!!!

Sir Godfried of Frisia- 15-1 This might be a list he can close out- how well can he do against a lefty and can he hit certain people HARD enough? A good fighter for sure, and with an excellent consort, but still not a closer.

Count Valharic Caligula Aurelius 3-1 He is so cute! He just needs to make sure he hits people hard enough to win. He is a lefty who fightsin a very different way from most of Atlantia's good lefties (Anton, Ragnar) who fight slow preceise games, where Val jumps in your face. We'll see how he does.

Sir Robert de Rath 8-1 This is one of Robert's best chances to win Crown since he finalled against Cuan back in '97

Talun MacDubhagain- 25-1 not familiar with

Sinclair Hawkins 7-1 He needs to keep his head straight and shots on target. Don't get caught up in overwhelming opponents, just beat them.

Sir Bryce de Byram 15-1 needs to win a few tournaments. Should travel to practices and work out with the "great" fighters if he wants to seriously win Crown.

Sir Tascius Severus Fabius- 25-1 Who?

Brian Killian the Red- 11-1 has been kicking butt on the Squire's Tournament scene, and certainly can beat anyone in the tournament

Afshin of the White Mist- 25-1 a good melee fighter- not that I haven't seen him beat people surprisingly with that weird jump shot, but that isn't going to win Crown.

Jonathan Blackbow- 9-1 Hit them before they hit you this time and fight cleanly

Sean MacKelly 30-1 who?

Luther Josephus 30-1 not familiar with

Bryan of Sacred Stone (Damuth) 12-1 Dammuth is a good fighter, but a bit coarse. He can beat anyone in the list, but also has the biggest potential for acknowledgement issues, as he probably has the highest calibration of anyone in this list.

Henry West 22-1 Is he related to Herbert West- Ok that is a bad Lovecraft joke.

Brandon of Tipperary- 12-1 Brandon is an up and down fighter. Although he often doesn't care about the SCA in ahistoric re-creation sort of way, he has been around forever. His past performances in Crown- especially against Michael of bedford back in the 90's show that he has the potential... If hte day is right it could certainly be Brandon's.

Master Roland de Mounteney- 25-1

Mungoe McKlinchey-20-1 he has come a long way since the days of Nauga Hyde armor, and his skill has certaily improved. Comments lile, "I train with Micahel of Bedford, so you have to hit me harder for it to be good," still haunt him and his high level of calibration. A good guy who has become a better fighter over the years, but still has history issues to contend with.

Raven MacGregor- 30-1 Who?

Achbar Ibn Ali- 25-1 Achbar is a great guy who gets caught up in the moment of fighting. He knows how to fight, but excited andforgets crucial things like combinations at inaaporpriate moments. If he were to seriously decide to learn how to "fight" instead of "flail" he could certianly be good- not many people love fighting or the SCA more than Achbar.

The Darke One

PS- these comments aren't meant to piss anyone off. Take them in the same light as color commentary by Dennis Miller please. I really don't know any of these guys and am just making it all up :)
I am the Darkest!

Corcran Mac Diarmata forever has odds of -0 to win Crown, until he does his penance for his heresy against Manowar by hanging on the Tree of Woe.
Uneg
Archive Member

Post by Uneg »

DarkApprentice wrote:The semifinalists were Sinclair Hawkins and Jonathon Blackbow, which means all of my "Less than 10-1" fighters made it to the semis ;)

What about the fighters you didn't know, or weren't sure about? Any scouting reports on them?
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

As I posted on the PoC board, Sinclair will be knighted at Feast of the Unicorn on November 20th.

I will see if I can get the pairings from the MoL for the intersted.
Winterfell
Archive Member

Post by Winterfell »

That would be great Sir Bryce, I have a ton of pics to go through of the various fights. Unfortunately my camera battery died before the final match, but James B got pics though.
BdeB wrote:As I posted on the PoC board, Sinclair will be knighted at Feast of the Unicorn on November 20th.

I will see if I can get the pairings from the MoL for the intersted.
You have to push the little yellow button to load it.
Forkbeard
Archive Member

photos

Post by Forkbeard »

These photos are decidedly Valharic/Arielle centric, but there are others of the listfield, Atlantia's gorgeous list flag, other fighters, etc. Thank you to everyone who was there that day. I felt very welcome in fair Atlantia and I'm sure I'll return to your lands many times.

http://www.craighatfield.com/sca

Ulfr
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

Malcolm took something like 90+ pictures, these are just the first ones he has webbed so far...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/arminius_ ... /my_photos
MalcolmdeMoffat
Archive Member

Post by MalcolmdeMoffat »

If anyone knows what the name of the Laurel who took an apprentice at Crown I have a few photos of her Apprentice and would be happy to get them to her.

In mūnīs ad somnium
"Operor necne operor , illic est haud tendo"
"Facta, non verba.
"Punctiones, non verba"
Malcolm MacCallum of Moffat
Well Dressed Vagabond
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

Duchess Marie Simone de Barjeval, OL, OP took Countess Adelicia of Cumbria, OP as her apprentice. Web em with the Mooselodge family pics and I'll make sure they both see them.
DarkApprentice
Archive Member
Location: R'lyeh: 47 degrees 9 minutes south, 126 degrees 43 minutes west

Post by DarkApprentice »

tlast wrote:
DarkApprentice wrote:The semifinalists were Sinclair Hawkins and Jonathon Blackbow, which means all of my "Less than 10-1" fighters made it to the semis ;)

What about the fighters you didn't know, or weren't sure about? Any scouting reports on them?

I don't "know" any of the fighters... what would ever make you think that?

Let me know who you want a report on, and I'll check with my sources...

The Darke One
I am the Darkest!

Corcran Mac Diarmata forever has odds of -0 to win Crown, until he does his penance for his heresy against Manowar by hanging on the Tree of Woe.
Uneg
Archive Member

Post by Uneg »

DarkApprentice wrote:I don't "know" any of the fighters... what would ever make you think that?

I didn't mean to imply that you know any of the fighters personally, or, uh, "know" them more personally. I was just curious about the fighters you had listed as "not familiar with" or "Who?". You called the "under 10-1" odds fighters very well, but what about the "relative unknowns"?

Let me know who you want a report on, and I'll check with my sources...

Specifically?

Talun MacDubhagain- 25-1
Sir Tascius Severus Fabius- 25-1
Sean MacKelly 30-1
Luther Josephus 30-1
Raven MacGregor- 30-1

Just curious as to how their fights went.

Thanks!
k_towery
Archive Member

Post by k_towery »

tlast wrote:Specifically?

Talun MacDubhagain- 25-1
Sir Tascius Severus Fabius- 25-1
Sean MacKelly 30-1
Luther Josephus 30-1
Raven MacGregor- 30-1

Just curious as to how their fights went.

Thanks!

I know that Sean MacKelly went 0-2 against Count Valharic and then Luther.
Luther went 1-2 with losses to Raven MacGregor and Egil.
Raven also went 1-2 but I don't recall who he went against (save for his 1 win).
Tascius went ?-2 with his first round loss to Brandon of Tipperary.

Cyriac Grymsdale
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Shamey
Archive Member

Post by Shamey »

Very nice pictures! (and I'm not just saying that because I'm in several :) )
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Shameless

Which images are you in? I was trying to spot you at the event but failed.
James B.
Historic Life
Shamey
Archive Member

Post by Shamey »

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/f ... CT0023.JPG

Is probably the best pic (of me) I'm right in the center in the purple dress wearing my squire belt standing next to Prince Malcolm (Heairn). I would have looked better if my hair was down...

:)
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Oh that was you, thats the problem with mental images, I pictured different clothing on you guys.
James B.
Historic Life
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Post by Maelgwyn »

Shameless wrote:Very nice pictures! (and I'm not just saying that because I'm in several :) )

Which ones?
Shamey
Archive Member

Post by Shamey »

I look different when I have more girlier clothes on (and my hair down) but thought it'd be nice to kinda match Malcolm so it was obvious i was with him. I was going to wear my fighting tunic over the dress but it was too warm (and it makes me look like a marshmallow *laugh*)

Dare I ask what you pictured me in?
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

I, of course, prefer this one:

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/f ... CT0001.JPG

But that's just me.... :twisted: