What's up with the King of Meridies?

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Richard Blackmoore
Archive Member

Post by Richard Blackmoore »

OK...

Now that I am done laughing my ass off.

1) I was kind of kidding and I am sorry that I offended people so badly. I should have included a smiley.

2) The basis for some of my joking comments from the latter post, were based unfortunately somewhat on reality. As Gavin pointed out, there was a time when a large contingent of our fencers, not the majority fortunately, but a lot of them, were openly breaking both the East Kingdom rules and the SCA rules and guidelines for participation. Some took it to extremes and were playing 17th and 18th century characters, they wanted to use rubber band guns to 'shoot' each other, many were complaining about any contact at all. Worse, some liked the then new idea of the white scarf and wanted to be knights/peers with the white scarves being used like knight's belts and master's baldrics. And a lot of them were not polite and reasonable, they were obnoxious and demanding. Not to mention the post period pirate types as well as the English Civil War types Gavin mentioned.

Fencing has improved somewhat over the years, with the implementation of heavier blades (schlagers), more force, less modern Olympic style foil work, better and more period clothing, less drawn out acting, etc.

Some heavies participate in fencing, I think that has had some benefit. Once more fencers start fighting in garb appropriate to the period and with weapons that act like what was used for fencing in most of the SCA period (early rapiers were basically hilted broadswords, not modern fencing foils), it will get better.

3) I like fencing. Both Olympic and historical. But I do laugh at the way it is often done in the SCA. Last year I bought equipment for my daughter and myself and took professional electrified fencing. While it was very divorced from actual combat, much more so than heavy weapons combat is, I found it fun, good exercise and at higher levels often quite difficult.

4) I am not a against a peerage for fencers, provided they don't call themselves knights, they wear clothing and use weapons appropriate to pre-17th century combattants and they don't act like bad Shakespearean tradgedy actors with the long, labored "acting out of wounds" that at times gets to the point of idiocy.

5) I agree that some heavy weapons combattants also break the rules, wear ahistorical armour and act like jerks. I am not suggesting they be given a pass on that. Not at all. But the topic was fencing, not what is wrong with heavy weapons combat.

6) Combat Archery. I hate it the way it used to be practiced in the SCA. Nuclear arrows, horribly unrealistic implementations, bad attitudes on the part of many CA archers (I can shoot you, but you can't hit back), archer's weapons and ammo being exempted from the basic safety rules SCA heavies have to comply with, light archers who are unencumbered by armour but you have to 'kill' them by running up to within 10' and 'calling' them dead while they try to run away, etc. I want to give my opponent the opportunity to strike at me and to receive my best effort to strike him back. Hard to do when they are 200' away behind a line of shields Most importantly, for the most part it does not fit well into the SCA's social structure and the fact that our environment is supposed to be European Nobles doing what European Nobles did in Medieval/Early Renn Western Europe (some will argue against the Western Part), to have archers for the most part you have to have lower social classes. Now I will admit combat archery has improved quite a bit in the last decade. But until I get my horse, I'm probably not going to like CA much, though it is much safer and more tolerable than it used to be. I've been in other groups with different structures, there CA worked just fine.

If you want to be called a fighter? Fighters in the SCA are to act in a knightly and chivalrous manner. Hard to do that if you are using a bow to shoot at knights and nobles. Most knights and nobles in Western Europe during the Medieval chivalric era did not do that. There are some exceptions that have come up recently, possibly Polish and Norweigan nights. But they appear very much to be the exception to the rule. Also hard to act knightly and chivalrously if you use a bow, then run away instead of fighting your opponent hand to hand when he closes with you. I guess you could call it a strategic retreat, but hard to win renown that way.

So I consider most archers combattants, not fighters. Though now that we have mostly done away with 'light' archers, most archers are armoured such that they can engage in hand to hand combat and some do; then you can call them fighters.

Also a lot of us belong to the 'we don't really do wars' we do large melees with nobles playing at war. So combat archery while fun, may be inappropriate, at least the way we tend to do it. I'll admit SCA rules are conflicting, confusing and poorly written.

But to be a fighter in the SCA, to me means that you really want to fight. Not take potshots at people from a distance.

Agincourt? Crecy and the like? Sure bows were very effective. But the knights were not using them. And they were effective mainly for denial of terrain, taking down horses, harrassing and directing the opposing forces, taking out the poorly armoured combattants, interfering with command and control. And the archers did a lot more damage with the packed in French when they attacked them with other weapons.

7) Siege Weapons. I like them. But talk of knighting somebody for firing a trebuchet well, makes me, well, a little crazy. Might as well knight the sappers and the guys that fill the moat. It isn't fighting hand to hand. Siege weapons are medieval artillery. Which is OK and of course it works in war. But we use them basically as big handguns against knights and nobles. And you need different social classes to man them. Once again, in other groups with different constructs, it makes more sense.

8) Period lace is fine.

Anyway, sorry if I upset anybody. I was mostly kidding.
Last edited by Richard Blackmoore on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is the SCA a better place for having you in it? If not, what are you doing there?
St. George
Archive Member

Post by St. George »

Agilmar wrote:
Maeryk wrote:
But fencing =/= equal heavy fighting. They are different animals. That is all there is to it.
It's certainly two different things. I simply don't like the notion that only one of the two is fighting.
In many areas of the SCA, fencing has become limited to tag with a wire. The power used in Collegiate fencing is off limits or considered to be too much in many places. There are many of us who enjoy "fencing" but not the tag game that many members of the SCA have relegated it to. Especially when comparing SCA fencing (in many areas) to SCA fighting, only one has the rough and tumble aspects or force considered to be fighting by many people. Consider that in many areas of the SCA, the people who opt to fence rather than heavy fight have serious issues with any "force" being applied to a shot (many being people who are either small or afraid to be hit for whatever reason), and go significantly overboard in telling people how unsafe and excessive they are.

Knights who can be, and otherwise would be the advocates for this sport, are seriously turned off by the attitudes that many fencers direct at them, often because there are 2 seriously divergent views on what fencing itself is. One camp is the it is fighting- this is the camp moving towards sidesword. The other is that it is a game of high drama, bad puns, and foil tag. This does not even bring up the issue of the "fighting for the queen" or however it is now being phrased that fencers purport to do that many Knights find offensive.

There are many actions that fencers take to put themselves deeper into a hole as far as the fighting peerage is concerned. Although some people may consider white scarves, etc a form of flattery, many do not. Squires who wear spurs and chains are often looked down upon for assuming symbols of station. The symbols of the White Scarf Treaty, I think, fall into this category for many people. The title Don and White Scarf are very close to Knight titles and symbols. From the SCA website http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html#table2 "Don" is still listed as an alternate title for Sir, and although it is not reserved it certainly steps into a gray area. Why should a Knight not find this offensive that someone is absconding with their form of address? It seems to many that someone through use of title, and symbol is trying to fake their way into a peerage.

These are very murky waters...
Agilmar wrote:
Maeryk wrote:Someday down the road there MAY be more equivalency.. but intentionally going against the rules, or disobeying the orders of Da King won't get anyone anywhere.
I don't think anybody seriously suggested that?

Cheers,

Agilmar
I disagree, I think someone did suggest that. As has been noted the King of Meridies asked that the symbol of a red scarf and titles of Cadet and those that were "Don like" not be used (specifically asking that those titles and symbols used by White scarf treaty nations to denote specific relationships). Someone chose to use them anyway intentionally going against the wishes of the King.

Alaric
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

honestly ive never done the counted blow thing. i assume its just blows to contact and not about force. that changes the aspect of the game in several ways. certainly sounds like fun though. i doubt, however, that i could throw blows in a counted situation that were not still hard since that is how i have trained. i dont know, is that frowned upon? what i mean is, if i did a five counted blows with someone used to that style of contest and i connected with five of my standard tourney blows would that be a bad thing?

barriers are just goofy so no thanks.

regards
logan

Maeryk wrote:
ive been involved in real martial arts for most of my life. by real i dont mean the dance move kata stuff for different colored belts but, rather, real forms of fighting. in my mind you arent fighting unless there is real risk and courage is required. i dont know if that is how richard sees it or not but to me rapier is not fighting by my own rationale. its a cool sport and one that takes some skill. it can be graceful and exciting and, in a real world scenario, deadly.
How do you feel about counted blows, or barrier combat? Where the skill is more important than the bashing aspect?

(Not that skill isn't important in a melee scenario too.. but power is higher on the "importance" list in that scenario, than in, say, a crest tournament or something)

Maeryk
Ebonwoulfe Armory is fully stocked with spears again! For now the only way to order them is to send an email to ebonwoulfearmory@gmail.com with the quantity and your shipping address. We will send a PayPal invoice in response including your shipping cost.
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

"Meridies, much like Calontir, does not really care what anyone else thinks. Even those who have left us like Blackoak, Marvin and Murdoch. We will deal with our issues and resolve our own internal conflicts. "

For the record i posted one time on this thread (till now), and it was a short post at that.

And i loathe rapier fwiw
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

hence the whole "contest" thing. i thought it was a given that to be a fighter you had to be fighting someone. sorry about that. :roll:

regards
logan
Agilmar wrote:
dukelogan wrote:... save catastrophic failure [fencing] not dangerous. it doesnt cause pain or injury by its design so it doesnt take courage to execute it.
I find this argument extremely far-fetched. Bungee jumping will take courage, and banging my head against the wall will cause me pain, but I think neither would qualify me to be a fighter.

BTW, I've done both fencing with schlagers and heavy. In a good suit of armour, I found the pain level comparable.

Cheers,

Agilmar
Ebonwoulfe Armory is fully stocked with spears again! For now the only way to order them is to send an email to ebonwoulfearmory@gmail.com with the quantity and your shipping address. We will send a PayPal invoice in response including your shipping cost.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

i dont know, is that frowned upon? what i mean is, if i did a five counted blows with someone used to that style of contest and i connected with five of my standard tourney blows would that be a bad thing?
I don't know either, honestly.

I was just curious what you thought.
Rev. George
Archive Member

Post by Rev. George »

honestly ive never done the counted blow thing. i assume its just blows to contact and not about force. that changes the aspect of the game in several ways.
With respect, I believe you are mis informed as to what the "counted blows" system is. Counted blows can be done several ways, but the most common is the # of TELLING blows- that is blows that would be considered "good"

Your opponent just doesnt act as though he had been the victim of traumatic amputation.

Other ways to do couned blows are blows thrown, where those that are good are counted. best percentage wins.

In either form, Sometimes a barrier is used, and striking below the barrier may be forbidden, but that's neither here nor there.

-+G
The path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility, not LSD and sideburns.

Rev's Rainments
Quality Medieval Clothing at a Fair Price.
Site coming soon~
Brennus
Archive Member

Post by Brennus »

In every counted blow situation I have ever encountered the blows must be telling.
Please come Join the Deeds of Arms discussion at http://www.statutaarmorum.com
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life" Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

i wasnt mis-informed, i said i assumed. if its with force and its just about how many times you land forceful blows im all for it. not really a lot of fun for me though if im fighting someone within my skill bracket. its hard enough for me to land a stout blow on someone like lucan or micheal. much less if i had to do it five times. :shock: im too fat anf too slow for all that mess. i would probably just try to tackle them and lay on them until they passed out. :wink:

but the question was how i felt about those styles of tourneys. if the norm for counted blows is that they be thrown with intented force the question made no sense since it specifically stated the use of skill and not the bashing aspect. additionally it would make no sense since these are basically the same sport save the not acting the blows out.

and barrier fighting just looks silly. so thats straight out.

if anyone will be at pennsic and wants to introduce me to counted blows (as long as they are real blows and not tag) i would love to go a few rounds. if anyone wants to do the tag version of it i can not promise that the blows i throw wont be real, just not sure i can do that. but hey, im game. :wink:

regards
logan
Rev. George wrote:honestly ive never done the counted blow thing. i assume its just blows to contact and not about force. that changes the aspect of the game in several ways.
With respect, I believe you are mis informed as to what the "counted blows" system is. Counted blows can be done several ways, but the most common is the # of TELLING blows- that is blows that would be considered "good"

Your opponent just doesnt act as though he had been the victim of traumatic amputation.

Other ways to do couned blows are blows thrown, where those that are good are counted. best percentage wins.

In either form, Sometimes a barrier is used, and striking below the barrier may be forbidden, but that's neither here nor there.

-+G
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

DukeAlaric (George S.) wrote:The symbols of the White Scarf Treaty, I think, fall into this category for many people. The title Don and White Scarf are very close to Knight titles and symbols. From the SCA website http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html#table2 "Don" is still listed as an alternate title for Sir, and although it is not reserved it certainly steps into a gray area. Why should a Knight not find this offensive that someone is absconding with their form of address? It seems to many that someone through use of title, and symbol is trying to fake their way into a peerage.
That discussion is not a new one.

I quote, from "A Brief History of the White Scarf", by Don Tivar Moondragon, the premier of the order:
It is recognized custom that holders of the White Scarf are addressed by the title "Don" or "Dona." There was a major discussion in the Heralds' Office in A.S. XXVI (1991) about the use of that title. In 1980, a decision had been made at the Laurel level that the title "Don" was reserved for knights. This decision was never disseminated to the general populace, and as far as I know, only two knights ever used it. The result of the 1991 discussion was that "Don" could be used by anyone with an AoA or above, which is more in keeping with historical practice. (Just to complicate matters, there has been a group of rapier fighters in the East Kingdom using the title "Don" as part of their ranking structure, the "gold cords." This group is based upon the English Masters of Defence of the time of Henry VIII, but has no "official" status within the East Kingdom.)
Also, regarding the white scarves, from the same article:
In the Renaissance a white scarf was worn as a badge of military rank. The only picture I've ever seen shows it worn as a baldric, left shoulder to right hip. Obviously this would be unacceptable in an SCA context, so a much smaller version, worn only about the shoulder, was designed. (Cyrano de Bergerac was the source of the original idea.)
I do not doubt that the red scarf, signifying a cadet, was patterned after that of a squire. It is a sign of a formal student-teachr relationship, and there is absolutely no disrespect meant to any knight or squire by this connection.

If you would like to read the whole article, I think it would clear up some of the misconceptions of the origins of the treaty and the traditions of the rapier community.

A Brief History of the White Scarf, by Don Tivar Moondragon.

In Service,

-- Andreas
Andrew R. Mizener/Herr Andreas von Meiβen
Cadet to Warder Brighid MacCumhal
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Trystyn of Anglesey wrote:Love you mine Kingdom well and goodely, Sirrah or surely thye scrotume wilte knowe the roughe edge of mye foote.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

but the question was how i felt about those styles of tourneys. if the norm for counted blows is that they be thrown with intented force the question made no sense since it specifically stated the use of skill and not the bashing aspect. additionally it would make no sense since these are basically the same sport save the not acting the blows out.
Hmm. Perhaps I phrased it wrong..

I consider those tourneys to be more "like" fencing in that it's not one "lucky shot" to win.. but repeated skillful shots. (which was why I was careful to point out that "skill" is important in melees.. but not AS important as it is when you must make clean, good, REPEATABLE shots).

Thats all.

IMHO (and only there) fencing is much more about skill and chesslike fighting than heavy combat _tends_ to be. HEavy combat (with some notable exceptions) seems more a flurry of blows, hoping that one gets through the other persons blocks. Fencing more of a waiting, feinting game to find the opening without the flurry.

Thats all. Not attempting to denigrate either you, or either type of fighting.. just observing the difference in style-sets required.
Brennus
Archive Member

Post by Brennus »

I will be happy to fight counted blows with you if I do make it to Pennsic this year possible we can clear up other matters as well in a friendly way (I should be there if nothing goes wrong in the next month).

One of the points of fighting over the barrier, for those of us who do it, is sort of a test of metal. Basically if we fight German style (and yes this isn't really period but its is sort of the tourney company equivilent of a bear pit) In the german style each combatant places his off hand on the barrier and the two combatants trade blows. There is no blocking there is just the taking of blows to see who can hit the other as hard and as fast as possible. If one of the opponents takes his hand off the barrier before the blows are done he loses. and yes it is brutal but fun.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life" Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

Mispost, sorry.
My computer isn't liking me today.
Last edited by AvM on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew R. Mizener/Herr Andreas von Meiβen
Cadet to Warder Brighid MacCumhal
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Trystyn of Anglesey wrote:Love you mine Kingdom well and goodely, Sirrah or surely thye scrotume wilte knowe the roughe edge of mye foote.
Agilmar
Archive Member

Post by Agilmar »

Richard Blackmoore wrote:OK...

Now that I am done laughing my ass off.

1) I was kind of kidding and I am sorry that I offended people so badly. I should have included a smiley.
Apologies from my side for perhaps responding too harshly, since I completely misunderstood your post.

Please accept the apologies, Sir Richard,

Agilmar
VIS VISCERIS, NON FERRE FERTUR
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

no shit? that sounds like fun. i dont wear any armor though so i think i might want to consider that before i engage in something like that. im crazy but not that crazy. :wink: a test of ones mettle (not metal btw) is the kinda thing im into. but i might need something on my shoulders and upper body first huh?

as far as clearing up other matters goes im always game.

regards
logan

Brennus wrote:I will be happy to fight counted blows with you if I do make it to Pennsic this year possible we can clear up other matters as well in a friendly way (I should be there if nothing goes wrong in the next month).

One of the points of fighting over the barrier, for those of us who do it, is sort of a test of metal. Basically if we fight German style (and yes this isn't really period but its is sort of the tourney company equivilent of a bear pit) In the german style each combatant places his off hand on the barrier and the two combatants trade blows. There is no blocking there is just the taking of blows to see who can hit the other as hard and as fast as possible. If one of the opponents takes his hand off the barrier before the blows are done he loses. and yes it is brutal but fun.
Morgan
Archive Member

Post by Morgan »

Counted blows are generally regular calibration, just no acting out of wounds. So if you hit my leg, I don't drop to my knees, I just say ONE. Or more likely, "OUCH! ONE! DAMN YOU LOGAN, I'LL GET YOU FOR THAT!" LOL
dukelogan wrote:honestly ive never done the counted blow thing. i assume its just blows to contact and not about force. that changes the aspect of the game in several ways. certainly sounds like fun though. i doubt, however, that i could throw blows in a counted situation that were not still hard since that is how i have trained. i dont know, is that frowned upon? what i mean is, if i did a five counted blows with someone used to that style of contest and i connected with five of my standard tourney blows would that be a bad thing?

barriers are just goofy so no thanks.

regards
logan

Mateo
Archive Member

Post by Mateo »

DukeAlaric (George S.) wrote:
In many areas of the SCA, fencing has become limited to tag with a wire.

Your Grace, I must firmly disagree. It must have been some time since you have been on the rapier field. Not only can you not legitimately describe a heavy rapier as a "wire", I also think you would be hard pressed to find fighters playing "tag", especially in your area.

You are in Chicago, IL. That's the midlands. So some of the individuals that are at the top of the game there are people like Sir LOGOS, Warder Cristian, and Warder Cecil du Pont. I assure you, none of these gentlemen play "tag" when they fight. You may wish to try them out. Especially Sir LOGOS. I promise you, you'll feel like you're fighting for your life.
The power used in Collegiate fencing is off limits or considered to be too much in many places. There are many of us who enjoy "fencing" but not the tag game that many members of the SCA have relegated it to.
Is it the lack of force that bothers you? Is that what you mean by "tag"? Because, with a sharp rapier in civillian dress, you don't need to shove it through the guy to kill him.
Especially when comparing SCA fencing (in many areas) to SCA fighting, only one has the rough and tumble aspects or force considered to be fighting by many people.
Why is it that people require force to denote legitimate combat? Do you think you would survive a rapier thrust to the throat, eye, or mouth? How about the belly? Or one that severs the arteries on the inside of your upper arm or the inside of your thigh?

Again, I think many of you who claim that rapier is just a game of tag are not fighting the right people.
Consider that in many areas of the SCA, the people who opt to fence rather than heavy fight have serious issues with any "force" being applied to a shot (many being people who are either small or afraid to be hit for whatever reason), and go significantly overboard in telling people how unsafe and excessive they are.
Your grace, that is a very old, very tired, very untrue generalization. And furthermore, where are these "many areas" you speak of?

People fence for a variety of different reasons. Some indeed do fight on the rapier field because they don't feel a need to be pummeled with sticks. However, that is hardly the overwhealming reason.

I began fencing because 1) a fencer stepped forward to give instruction 2) I got to use an actual sword 3) D'artangan was always a cooler hero to me than Arthur.
Knights who can be, and otherwise would be the advocates for this sport, are seriously turned off by the attitudes that many fencers direct at them, often because there are 2 seriously divergent views on what fencing itself is. One camp is the it is fighting- this is the camp moving towards sidesword.
??

Yes, heavies can get attitude from fencers. Do you wonder why? It's a very difficult hurdle to get over. Both sides have to come to truly respect what each other does, and see the similarities between the ideals we strive for instead of dwelling on our differences.

Your second comment about the divergent views seems to me to be ill informed. Most people who gravitate to Sidesword do it because they wish to research period combat in a venue that allows for an edge blow.

The other is that it is a game of high drama, bad puns, and foil tag. This does not even bring up the issue of the "fighting for the queen" or however it is now being phrased that fencers purport to do that many Knights find offensive.
Shouldn't all fighters fight for the Queen? People choose weather or not to take offense at something. Why not embrace a group of fighters who wish to fight for the honor of their queen, instead of being offended by them? We all have the same queen, do we not?

Although some people may consider white scarves, etc a form of flattery, many do not.
Weather or not they believe it is an homage is irrelevant. It is an homage, despite those who might say otherwise. Why not believe in it, as opposed to being offended by it out of hand.

The symbols of the White Scarf Treaty, I think, fall into this category for many people. The title Don and White Scarf are very close to Knight titles and symbols.
The title Don is an appropriate title for any spanish persona who has an AoA. It is the equivalent of "lord", and not restricted to the knighthood by the BOD, Corpora, or any other law we have. While Knights have called themselves by that name, they do not have the same claim of that title as they do to a white belt and a gold chain.

. Why should a Knight not find this offensive that someone is absconding with their form of address?
Because it's not their title, and it's not their form of address. You can't have something "stolen" from you that doesnt belong to you in the first place.
It seems to many that someone through use of title, and symbol is trying to fake their way into a peerage.
Which is an all too commonly repeated falshood. Many people believe this to be true, except of course the white scarves.

But shouldn't we all be striveing to be peerlike, regardless of prescedence? It seems that there is a great deal of pride motivating much of the bad ju-ju directed at fencers.

I disagree, I think someone did suggest that. As has been noted the King of Meridies asked that the symbol of a red scarf and titles of Cadet and those that were "Don like" not be used (specifically asking that those titles and symbols used by White scarf treaty nations to denote specific relationships). Someone chose to use them anyway intentionally going against the wishes of the King.

Alaric
And I greatly admire the man for doing it.

The book of the courtier tells us that if your lord asks you to committ a dishonorable act, you are not only not bound to perform it, you are bound *not* to perform it. For as his subject, you are responsible for whatever dishonor you lay at his feet.

Pulling that fighters card because the king had a problem with the way in which that fighter chose to take a dependant would have been, in my opinion, dishonorable. Defying the king was the only honorable route.
"The Lacedoneans are not wont to ask how many the enemy are, but where they are"
adamstjohn
Archive Member

Post by adamstjohn »

Well, this is certainly a hot thread, with a lot of feeling behind it. With your indulgence, I will breat Forum etiquette by making two posts - one addressing a rule issue, one containing my personal feelings.

Firsts, the rules point - the question of pulling cards.

As an Earl Marshal, I do not believe that a Monarch has the right to pull anyone's card. Certainly,

II.A.3. All combatants must be presented to, and be acceptable to, the Sovereign or his or her representative.

.. but this means that the Crown may remove someone from the field at an event. If they wanted, they (or their representatives, including the marshalate) could do this at every single event during their reign, but I do not accept that they can take away someone's card. This would - for example - mean that the person could not fight in another Kingdom, would need to reauthorise and so on. No, that power rests with the marshalate and the marshalate only. The Crown has other powers at their disposal.

Neither can, as is often maintained, any marshal pull a card. A marshal, under the rule above, can remove someone from the field for the day, but then a whole slew of appeals and procedures come into effect which ultimately end with sanctions decisions by the Earl Marshal or SEM (card removal) or the Crown and BOD (banishment).

As KEM, if my Crown were to ask me to remove someone's card, I would examine the issue involved and only comply if there was a marshallate issue behind it which warranted such action. If some other issue were involved, I would request the Crown to use the other chastisement options available to them.

Cheers
Last edited by adamstjohn on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/adam lawrence /athestan of wortham /sca drachenwald /thebusinesscomedian.com
"REGINA NOS VIDET"
"What we do is not a sporting event, but a celebration of prowess, art, and culture": after Jehan de Pelham
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

ahhh gotcha. i agree with what you say but i must add that what you describe as fencing: more of a waiting, feinting game to find the opening without the flurry describes pretty closely to how i view heavy fighting. for me it is a chessmatch and hardly a series of blows hoping one gets through. while you did poit out that you realize there are exceptions to that i think its more the norm in the heavy community. the little wound up hyper guys that wade in with flurries of blind blows are, i think, the exception.

i would add that it takes considerable skill to throw a powerful blow. it takes considerable skill to throw accurate blows with a weighted weapon in your hand. i would suggest that it takes more skill to be successful at heavy combat than it does at sca rapier. but they are two very different styles and both are wonderful to watch and participate in when done with skill. my hat is off to all of the fencers in the sca that play it right. the pirate wanna be fools and the such.... eh. same goes for the road warrior wanna be heavy types. neither belong.

regards and thanks for clarifying. btw i never took anything you said about this as meaning offense.

logan
Maeryk wrote:
Hmm. Perhaps I phrased it wrong..

I consider those tourneys to be more "like" fencing in that it's not one "lucky shot" to win.. but repeated skillful shots. (which was why I was careful to point out that "skill" is important in melees.. but not AS important as it is when you must make clean, good, REPEATABLE shots).

Thats all.

IMHO (and only there) fencing is much more about skill and chesslike fighting than heavy combat _tends_ to be. HEavy combat (with some notable exceptions) seems more a flurry of blows, hoping that one gets through the other persons blocks. Fencing more of a waiting, feinting game to find the opening without the flurry.

Thats all. Not attempting to denigrate either you, or either type of fighting.. just observing the difference in style-sets required.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

i would add that it takes considerable skill to throw a powerful blow. it takes considerable skill to throw accurate blows with a weighted weapon in your hand. i would suggest that it takes more skill to be successful at heavy combat than it does at sca rapier. but they are two very different styles and both are wonderful to watch and participate in when done with skill. my hat is off to all of the fencers in the sca that play it right. the pirate wanna be fools and the such.... eh. same goes for the road warrior wanna be heavy types. neither belong.
You should take a shot at Sidesword someday.. Theres as much skill there in _NOT_ killing someone (literally) as there is in landing the shot. :)

(holding _real_ steel you become amazingly aware of impact levels.. both low and high)..

Anyway.. thanks for your response.
Brennus
Archive Member

Post by Brennus »

Sorry for the misleading "wordage" but it does also become a test of your "metal". :) Yes spaulders are a good idea in this sort of thing. As for body armor I general only wear a kidney belt unless I am at a formal "PAS". During a German bout you usually are struck only in the head and arms. The barrier stops most rising shots and because you are holding the top rail you are belly to belly with your opponent.

I am all for burying the hatchet so to speak. Since we both seem willing. :)

BTW is anyone going to have a Barrier we could use at Pennsic? I can't drag mine up because I only have so much room.
Last edited by Brennus on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mateo
Archive Member

Post by Mateo »

I would say that both games can be done by just about anyone. Bot both games require exceptional skill and dedication to be *great* at them. The very best rapier fighters work just as hard on their game as the very best heavy weapons fighters. Just tempo and measure alone can take a lifetime to master.
"The Lacedoneans are not wont to ask how many the enemy are, but where they are"
dukelogan
Archive Member

Post by dukelogan »

i would argue that. in fact a contemporary of the times constantly argued that (george silver):

Silver, who is known for criticizing the rapiers, also complained of the inferiority of thrusting over cutting by saying: "And again, the thrust being made through the hand, arm, or leg, or in many places of the body and face, are not deadly, neither are they maims, or loss of limbs or life, neither is he much hindered for the time in his fight, as long as the blood is hot."

i mean hes not the experts that we weekend fighting types are of course. he just lived back then and did that kinda stuff.

anyway, the human body is not this fragile bag of soft tissue and fluid that so many of you seem to believe it is. i have had a knife in me three times and while none of them were fun none of them slowed me down. i dont think a rapier like sword poking me would be any different. drive it through my chest and i will probably not be ready to continue. hit me in the eye with it and i bet i will come for you with everything ive got. pound it through my eye and get lucky enough to bottom it out inside the back of my skull.....

see the point? (get it.... see the point... thats a good one no??)

anyway, its friday and im ready to get out of this crazy place and head to the house. best regards

logan
Mateo wrote:
DukeAlaric (George S.) wrote:

The power used in Collegiate fencing is off limits or considered to be too much in many places. There are many of us who enjoy "fencing" but not the tag game that many members of the SCA have relegated it to.
Is it the lack of force that bothers you? Is that what you mean by "tag"? Because, with a sharp rapier in civillian dress, you don't need to shove it through the guy to kill him.
Especially when comparing SCA fencing (in many areas) to SCA fighting, only one has the rough and tumble aspects or force considered to be fighting by many people.
Why is it that people require force to denote legitimate combat? Do you think you would survive a rapier thrust to the throat, eye, or mouth? How about the belly? Or one that severs the arteries on the inside of your upper arm or the inside of your thigh?