Pennsic Pics

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Angusm0628
Archive Member

Post by Angusm0628 »

Joseph wrote:The guy in the white is a Midrealm transplant to the East. He showed up earlier this year at a smaller Unbelted practice. He has a decent offside and I assumed got "real lifed" out of the Society while he was still fresh and out in the Midrealm. I believe someone helped make him the armor so he could fight. His weapon had an issue or two with the marshall I believe. I didn't see him all war til the last day where he fight alongside us. I imagine if he has time/money and someone to help he will improve his kit. Since I haven't seen him from about the end of March and again in April til War I would assume he has limited time or resources to put into the game.

But at least he was there on the field, the last day of a War where the "points" were thrown out.
Joseph,
He started in Aethelmearc, more locally in the shire of Abhainn Ciach Ghlaiss... His name as I stated previously is Kendrick Ruthaven.
And he had armor made by me when he started years ago but again he vanished off the face of the earth to me until this Past Pennsic.
Hopefully he takes me up on my offer to make that harness sooooooo much better.
Angus MacClerie
Joseph
Archive Member

Post by Joseph »

If we run into him before you do I will tell him about this thread.
He was a very nice guy and seemed when he was there to be 100% into it.
I knew he was out of kingdom, swore he said Mid. He came to the Unbelted practice with 2 guys from west of here (philly) Ivan and Ras from Silver Keep, so I will hit up Ivan and see if he has seen/heard from him.
Sigifrith Hauknefr - SCA fighting is not a recreation of anything...
Baron Joseph Harcourt - House Serpentius. East Kingdom.
Angusm0628
Archive Member

Post by Angusm0628 »

Kendrick is living down around the Hanover area I think he said. Either that or Hamburg.. Can't remember.
Angus MacClerie
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Post by UrsusofAnglesey »

The next batch of pictures from Monday have now been posted here: http://ursus.smugmug.com/gallery/602208 ... 5850_GdQVr

This includes the Gates of Rome battle, Heroic Champions and the Squires' Tourney.

Here's a few samples:

Gates of Rome battle.

From the heroic Champions battle. This is what I strive for, but is still incredibly rare despite all my best efforts: capturing the killing blow. But it's like catching lightning in a bottle.

From the Squires' tourney, the finals I believe.

Well, there's 600+ more. Hope you like them.

On a personal note, I move at the end of the month, so my life is still unsettled. It will probably be at least another few weeks before I can post Tuesday's photos. I guess the good news is that you'll get sporadic postings of new Pennsic pictures for the next couple of months to entertain you. The bad news is that it will be a sloooooww release.

Thanks for your patience.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Thank you, Ursus.
I am the SCA's middle finger.
www.clovenshield.org
olaf haraldson
Archive Member

Post by olaf haraldson »

Second picture (Heroic Champions) is Fast Eddie!
He dislocated his shoulder in one of the field battles... when the medic is moving it around, putting it back in, Eddie is just sitting there serenely. The guy is like "Doesn't that hurt?"
Eddie nods slowly and says calmly "Yeah, that is kind of intense..."
House Wolfhaven
Excellence in all we do.
Integrity first.
Service to the dream.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Gwynnin
Archive Member

Post by Gwynnin »

Does anyone know who this is, or if there is a shot from the front? The guy in the maile looks excellent.

http://ursus.smugmug.com/gallery/581642 ... 1348_orPqY
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

http://ursus.smugmug.com/gallery/581642 ... 3828_tcZEu

Whats up with the green goblin guy carrying a strapped scutum to his arm while swinging a greatsword with both hands?

That is plain cheesy. :(
Insane Irish

(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Cheesy how?
The shield is strapped in his arm and hand. There is no rule against it and frankly is easier to defeat than a single hand sword and shield.

When that sword goes down, so goes the shield, leaving the head exposed.

In my opinion it doesn't pay to worry about what the other guy is doing past figuring out how to defeat it.
www.clovenshield.org
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Nissan Maxima wrote:Cheesy how?
The shield is strapped in his arm and hand. There is no rule against it and frankly is easier to defeat than a single hand sword and shield.

In my opinion it doesn't pay to worry about what the other guy is doing past figuring out how to defeat it.
I didn't say it was effective. Only cheesy. And it is, just like someone using dual madus is cheesy. It is rules lawyering and not really in the spirit of the game.
Insane Irish

Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Reasonable people may disagree.
www.clovenshield.org
Saritor
Archive Member

Post by Saritor »

And Nissan, too. ;)

(We wouldn't want anyone to start thinking you were reasonable...there's your reputation to consider.)
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

People who disagree with already reasonable positions are *not* reasonable.

:twisted:

Effingham
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
Angusm0628
Archive Member

Post by Angusm0628 »

InsaneIrish wrote:Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Whats up with the green goblin guy carrying a strapped scutum to his arm while swinging a greatsword with both hands?

That's Ghijgar or some spelling or other from Lonely Mountain forge. He's been fighting with that style for years.
Angus MacClerie
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Gwynnin wrote:Does anyone know who this is, or if there is a shot from the front? The guy in the maile looks excellent.

This is the nearest I could find to a head on shot of this guy. I got lots and lots of his back, though. :lol:

I have no clue who he is. Yeah, he does look good, although he's wearing what looks suspiciously like tennis shoes... (see below on far right)

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

Gwynnin wrote:Does anyone know who this is, or if there is a shot from the front? The guy in the maile looks excellent.
If memory serves that's a Windrose helm. Johannes might possible know the fellow.
Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Per pale argent and purpure, a dragonfly counterchanged and on a chief sable a dagger reversed argent.

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. -Pierre Corneille
Vladimir
Archive Member

Post by Vladimir »

I can think of several period illustrations of people wielding a sword with both hands while a shield hangs from a strap protecting their side. Perhaps he is trying for this affect without breaking the rules.

InsaneIrish wrote:Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Per pale sable and gules, two eagles rising respectant Or and in base an open
book argent.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Vladimir wrote:I can think of several period illustrations of people wielding a sword with both hands while a shield hangs from a strap protecting their side. Perhaps he is trying for this affect without breaking the rules.

do you have links to those Illustrations? I am confused as to what you are describing.
Insane Irish

Peikko
Archive Member
Location: Formerly the sunny bit of England...Now returned to Malagentia, EK.

Post by Peikko »

InsaneIrish wrote:
Nissan Maxima wrote:Cheesy how?

I didn't say it was effective. Only cheesy. And it is, just like someone using dual madus is cheesy. It is rules lawyering and not really in the spirit of the game.
He is playing by the rules we set up...not his fault if we don't like what he is doing. Besides since he doesn't appear to be overly concerned with historical accuracy...whats to stop him?
Bleddyn De Caldicot
Archive Member

Post by Bleddyn De Caldicot »

UrsusofAnglesey wrote:

This is the nearest I could find to a head on shot of this guy. I got lots and lots of his back, though. :lol:

I have no clue who he is. Yeah, he does look good, although he's wearing what looks suspiciously like tennis shoes... (see below on far right)

Ursus
If you mean the guy in the maille that is Sir Edward the Red of Ealdormere, I think. I've seen him and I think someone pointed him out to me as Sir Edward the Red, definatly from Ealdormere.
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

I now have pictures up from Tuesday at the war: http://ursus.smugmug.com/gallery/616458 ... 9513_6tNMT

Alas, there's only 188 of them, but I didn't take many pictures that day. Not only was the heavy fighting in the woods, where I could not go, but it rained a lot, so I saw my fellow Bog Troopers off to the fight, wandered by the A&S exhibition briefly, then ended up at the Rapier Champions battle, mostly because there was not much else happening. (This is not a slight against you Rapier fighters, but personally, I would much rather shoot heavy than rapier for a whole bunch of reasons.) I also got some pictures of some event (five man melee?) that was canceled, I believe, but some Atlantians still showed up to fight, so that's the only heavy fighting in there, unfortunately.

Here are some samples:

An acquaintance from Clan Preachainne named Connor I ran across on my way up the hill.

Some guy I met at the A&S who frequents this board. Just kidding, James. It was nice to be able to shake your hand.

Not sure what's happening here, and I have no idea who's fighting, but it was entertaining.

William Thomas trying out a new technique for blocking pole arm shots.

I have finished moving and have lots to do, but I am plugging away on these pictures. I still have three days of Pennsic photos to post, plus the recent Atlantian Coronation, and I plan to go to two events on the next two weekends, so there is lots to look forward to on my site. It will probably be at least another week or two before I can get up any more, however, since Wednesday was a very busy day at Pennsic and I'm trying to get my life back together... (Man, I hate living out of boxes!)

Stay tuned!

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Ceawlin Alreding
Archive Member

Post by Ceawlin Alreding »

The feller with the glaive is Angus Kerr, his Excellency Concordia of the Snows, East Kingdom.

Great pic!!
This is a full-contact martial sport where twenty-year-old athletes can routinely get thrashed by fifty-year-olds with a gut and no knees
tbeckett
Archive Member

Post by tbeckett »

Bleddyn De Caldicot wrote:
UrsusofAnglesey wrote:

Ursus
If you mean the guy in the maille that is Sir Edward the Red of Ealdormere, I think. I've seen him and I think someone pointed him out to me as Sir Edward the Red, definatly from Ealdormere.
I can verify that, It is Sir Edward the Red, one of our local knights.
Thomas the Loud
Canton of Bryniau Tywynnog
Kingdom of Ealdormere
Sir Varus
Archive Member

Post by Sir Varus »

tbeckett wrote:I can verify that, It is Sir Edward the Red, one of our local knights.
Those do appear to be Nike Sharks on Sir Edward's feet. Usually, he uses leather covers on his footwear, and is very meticulous about it too. I would guess that these were new and he didn't have time to cover them yet. They do look very clean at that point.

Varus - former Ealdormerean.
olaf haraldson
Archive Member

Post by olaf haraldson »

He was also my neighbor at Pennsic. We were all joking that he was working towards a trifecta... he killed two of the three fighters in our camp in different battles.
Seems to be a pretty cool guy.
House Wolfhaven
Excellence in all we do.
Integrity first.
Service to the dream.
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Remember Pennsic? I do, mainly because I'm still drowning in Pennsic pics.

I finally finished Wednesday, and posted 600 some odd shots to my site late las night. You can see them here: http://ursus.smugmug.com/gallery/640733 ... 9620_tyKCS

Some samples:

The knighting is Sir Bryan Killian of Atlantia, although I also got some pics from the knighting of Magnus Tyndal (sp?) of Aethelmearc, I believe, as they were both done at the same time.

Some random Japanese dude who wandered by while everyone else was fighting. :)

Just kidding, Nissan! Actually, got a lot of good shots of you. I'll send you my snail mail address so you can send me the check...

Got lots of shots like this one of the melees near the fort, where I was standing. If you fought up near there, there's a decent chance you're in one of them.

Lotsa Tuchuk pics also, since they fought up there near the end of the day.

At any rate, hope you enjoy them. Comments are always welcome.

I'm working on Thursday's pics now. Still got Friday to go, and then I can start on all the other events I've gone to this fall: Atlantian coronation, War of the Wings and Storvik Baronial birthday. So lots more coming, folks, and they will be posted periodically throughout the fall. Now that my life has (mostly) returned to normal, my aim is to get them all out there before the New Year. :wink:

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
olaf haraldson
Archive Member

Post by olaf haraldson »

First pic, first page... and there's Duke Morghun. Made my breath catch a bit...
House Wolfhaven
Excellence in all we do.
Integrity first.
Service to the dream.
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Thanks in particular for this one.
http://ursus.smugmug.com/gallery/640733 ... 9572_rn5XD

A picture of my friends with shit eating grins.
more
http://ursus.smugmug.com/gallery/640733 ... 0058_2v9E6
www.clovenshield.org
Joseph
Archive Member

Post by Joseph »

Sigifrith Hauknefr - SCA fighting is not a recreation of anything...
Baron Joseph Harcourt - House Serpentius. East Kingdom.
olaf haraldson
Archive Member

Post by olaf haraldson »

It's funny... I was up on the end you were taking pictures at in the mountain pass, but I'm not visible in any photos. My axe, however, I picked out regularly, poking up over groups of helmets.
House Wolfhaven
Excellence in all we do.
Integrity first.
Service to the dream.
Saburou
Archive Member

Post by Saburou »

I'm grateful for this photo:
http://ursus.smugmug.com/gallery/640733 ... 2793_9UFBk

Not a lot of pictures out there of the perfect inner thigh thrust. Er...that doesn't sound right now that I've typed it... :twisted:

I had to fight for that shot, and it just landed perfectly...mmm...
Lord Honda Saburou Taremitsu
Squire to Sir Aonghaus of Brus
Quintavia, The East
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

Saburou wrote: Not a lot of pictures out there of the perfect inner thigh thrust. Er...that doesn't sound right now that I've typed it... :twisted:
Oh, I think it sounds just right, now that I've met you. :lol:

And that picture is a bute! OUCH.

-Tasha/Marcele
Stump
Archive Member
Location: End of the road, last house on the right, West Virginia.

Post by Stump »

Judeo-Christian morality, Greco-Roman philosophy, and Anglo-Saxon law

bad, and counter-revolutionary...with sparklies
Anthony de la Mare
Archive Member

Post by Anthony de la Mare »

Does anyone have any information on that amazing castle structure in the background? :shock: Wow!