I'm quitting armouring as a business.

For trading/Selling/and posting items that you need very badly.
juan
Loretta

Post by juan »

Sorry to hear this, Matt. It's too bad more businessfolk in all walks don't chose to run their shops as honorably as you. You've deserved the loyal following you've earned.

Do take care of yourself.
Darmour
Archive Member

Post by Darmour »

Matt,

Sorry to hear that your health is not allowing to keep up the passion of your life. I wish you all the best where ever you go.

Although i am far away and may be my offer of help wont be any good but if you do think i can be of any service i will sure try to help you out.

Regards,

Darmour.

www.waresa.com
Eirikr the Eager
Archive Member

Post by Eirikr the Eager »

I'll echo what the others have said.

Get better and relax a bit. Your skill and personal ethics as a production armourer will be greatly missed.

From a +1 Happy Customer.
Cheers

Eirikr

"Vous et aussi vostre chevaul"
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

Ok gotta clarify something. Anyone who had been discussing an order with me already and anyone who ordered something that was not pre-paid still gets their stuff. It's all part of clearing everything out before I'm finished.

My girlfriend read the thread and thought it was hilarious that Charles Alexander said I was level headed. I think it's kinda funny too. More like paranoid, anxiety ridden, erratic etc. If I only had a nickle for every time someone responded to something I said in a conversation with "Where the hell did that come from." I'd have severalteen nickles by now.

I think maybe instead of the black and brass suit being my first freedom project I'll make a suit of armour with boobs on it everywhere. Even where boobs are supposed to be. Just to piss everyone off.
The budding mid 14th century German Transitional guy.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

With power actuated cylinders and laser canons.
Violen
Archive Member

Post by Violen »

YOu make the boob armor and i'll wear it.

In Public.
Valstarr Hawkwind
Archive Member

Post by Valstarr Hawkwind »

Wishes for as much health and happiness as possible to you!

Val
Right is Not Reckoned by Numbers
Galvyn Lockhart
Archive Member

Post by Galvyn Lockhart »

Good health and best wishes to you.

Your responsibility is to yourself.
Galvyn Lockhart
KSCA / KMSR
MKA - John Mertz
----------------------------------------------------
... like a monster crossing the Hudson River.
Bleddyn De Caldicot
Archive Member

Post by Bleddyn De Caldicot »

Sad to see you going out of business but its good to keep your own well being as number one. Was a pleasure working with you over the summer and I would have loved to continue had stuff in the city not called me back. I'm very excited to see this black and brass suit since you said it would be even nicer than the one you made before. :)
Laurie Wise
Archive Member

Post by Laurie Wise »

Dang, sorry to read this. I check as many AA sites as I can just to see what has been evolving all these years. Your work is "right up there".
Disability will take a long time to get. Took a friend of mine 5 months. I can still work while on it they just deduct half what I make.
Yeah, I hear that. Have friend who went through this a few years ago....and it seemed like forever before she got it. As for deductions, sheesh...that too.

Well, you may be able to get around this....sort of. As a theraputic "hobby", let's say.....helps keep you focused and in control :D
Laurie Wise, FSA Scot.
Baroness Morgana Swansdottir, OL (Aten.)
Kirby Wise-Fraser, FSA Scot. & Son Arms and Armour
(Baron Kovacs Zoltan, OL (Aten&West)Court Baron/Aten)
Ned Chaney
Archive Member

Post by Ned Chaney »

I'm sorry to read this because you make goooooood stuff, but do what you need to do to take care of yourself, and all the best to you brother.
Seize the day leave no regrets
Formerly Edward atte Flynt
Aerimus13
Archive Member

Post by Aerimus13 »

Dude I understand. I am not telling to get off your meds but just telling you my story.

I was having a real hard time with my job and boss so I asked the doctor to help me. A regular family doctor slaps me on anti-depresants without doing any test or looking into anything that might be phyically wrong with me. So here i am on the meds and I just keep getting worse so the doctor ups the meds and still I do not get better. I have no engery and on the weekends I do not get out of bed for most of the day. I took myself off the meds and went to another doctor that took a look into my problem and found it to be sleep related. Well this doctor did not take it any farther than that test. He wanted to put me on a Darth Vader CPAP machine that hummed all night. I asked it there could be surgery to fix the problem. I asked to be sent to a speicalist. He declined. I took the matter in my own hands and found a speicalist that would see me. The doctor who saw me told me he could fix it and I had the surgery. Two years later I am sleeping and more active. Now I just need to get my diverticulois fixed and I will back to 100%. But that is going to be a hardcore one operation that I am not ready for.

I guess the moral is don't just take one doctor's word. I have found most of them only want to hand you a pill and have you gone in five min. If that does not fix it then it is too hard for them.
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Hi there

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Howdy,

Lord O Quinn that is the best signature I think Ive ever seen, Ive said that exact thing many time and live by it.

Aerimus, good story I agree completly with you on doctors. They often want to treat the symptoms instead of fix the problems. Thanks for sharing.

Mad Matt, Build the rest of your orders one piece at a time without thinking of the next one, (Or stack of them) None of your customers will give a rats ass about how long it takes. If they do Spok will take care of them. Breath deep and relax, In through the nose, out through the mouth. Smile. If that dont work try some Iron Maiden or Judas Priest as you work, that always cheers me up.

Take care

Pitbull
Attachments
Baby 4.JPG
Baby 4.JPG (49.76 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Baby 3.JPG
Baby 3.JPG (52.08 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Baby 2.JPG
Baby 2.JPG (52.65 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Hi, Please visit https://www.facebook.com/PITBULL-ARMORY-264094743168/ if you get time. Or contact me at leiderandy@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Take care, Andy @ Pitbull Armory
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

Violin you might find that difficult unless you're 6' and 200 pounds.

Schitzophrenia diagnosis isn't given for at least 6 months partly because it has legal implications. One of them is being instantly qualified for disability. I've probably had 15-20 doctors since I've been diagnosed. My psychaiatrist apointments last between 45 mins and an hour because I get residents they get more time. I had a 3 day medication vacation couple weeks ago and ended up sleeping a total of 4 hours in those 3 days. If I stop taking my meds I'll end up being an inpatient again and while I could really use the vacation I'm trying to avoid that.

Pitbull I've been listening to audiobooks in the shop lately. they're great. I switched from diskworld to R.A. Salvatore's stuff a little while ago since it's lighter listening. My dog lives with my parrents. He's a 110 pounds rottie and probably just as much of a big gentle suck as Spok.

There are ways for me to get around claiming any income that comes from armour. Like giving the business to my parrents or girlfriend and they're the ones that make the money. But that's not very honest and I'm not very good at dishonest things.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
Luthold
Archive Member

Post by Luthold »

Matt,

While my first reaction was "oh gawd, my legs" I reflected and thought of your health. Which is far more important than my kit. Really far more important.

Your skills, and above that your honesty in business practices made me want to give you some business. If the stres is to much, I will have no qualm or bad vibe from you saying "not this time." Your decisions are much more important to your health, than my desires.

As everyone says, take your time enjoy the process, and if it is a bad day, walk away. Anything you finish is a triumph to be reveled in.

I wish you the very best path to travel. Let me know your dispositon, no worries, no rush.[/u]
Luthold

Cum Otier Ferrugine Infestor.
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

Pre-emptive is good. Best of luck in this plan to head off the dark times and may it all smooth out to your liking.

See you at Pennsic maybe!

-Tasha
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Hi Matt,

I’ve loved watching your armoury evolve and your posts.

God Bless you!

-Aaron
Stonekeep
Archive Member

Post by Stonekeep »

sorry Matt...

Dont ever sell your tools.. keep them so you can play when the itch hits you..

maybe you can supplement your disability by offerring some instock merchandise only later on which would be low stress. trust me Ive considered it myself.
Michael Spiers
Stonekeep Armory
http://www.stonekeeparmory.com
Your Instock Armor Store
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Mike's got a point! Don't sell your tools!

I've got my tools from when I worked on armour, and this weekend I did a little bit for fun and restrapped stuff, etc... It was bliss. I forgot to eat lunch.

Armouring is fun. I miss it, often.

I have as much talent as a monkey with only one limb, but I enjoy working the steel.

There will be days you'll just want to pound the steel.

With respect,

-Aaron
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

If I sell my tools it will be all of them together along with the business including the name and the patterns and training. Price tag would likely be around $100K though. Part of that money would be spent on new tools which would be targeted differently.

Everything will get done including anyone who had been talking about something with me if they still want it.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
bhaiduk
Archive Member

Post by bhaiduk »

Matt
I'll add my +1 to the list of satisfied customers. I've loved all the pieces you've done for me so far and I can't wait to get the pieces for my coat of plates. Thanks for all you've done. I hope for the best for you and your family.
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Hi Matt

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Howdy Matt, Hey I like the idea of audio books I didnt know you could get Salvatore ones either! Thanks for the idea Im am going to do that for sure. Is it possible for you to get your dog to where your living? I dont recomend living anywhere without a dog around.

Take care

Pitbull

PS I know your a machine I just suggested gorgets because thats the only piece you make that I felt qualified to offer my help on. And every little bit helps.
Hi, Please visit https://www.facebook.com/PITBULL-ARMORY-264094743168/ if you get time. Or contact me at leiderandy@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Take care, Andy @ Pitbull Armory
Owyn
Archive Member

Post by Owyn »

Good for you, for taking the steps you need to take care of yourself! Too many people don't do that.

I'll miss your site, your work... Your armor is amazing, some great stuff out there, at prices that are more than fair. Take care of yourself though, and do what you need to for your health.
Zubeydah
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by Zubeydah »

Matt:

Please allow me to add my voice to the chorus that speak and think well of you. You were my very first (and only!) armour purchase (even though it's going to be a gift for someone else), and you made the experience an extremely positive one, and the folks I've shown the armour to, have had very nice things to say about it.

I wish you all the best with your health, and hope that the change you're making brings you peace.

Warm regards and respects,

- Zubeydah
Lupus Argenteus
Archive Member

Post by Lupus Argenteus »

Most of my major armour purchases have been through Matt, so I wanted to chime in with everyone else - you'll be missed. I know that maybe sometimes you don't feel like it, but you are a tremendously honorable and reputable businessman and armourer, and you've made the part of the world which appreciates armour a little brighter.
d-farrell2
Archive Member

Post by d-farrell2 »

Matt, sorry to hear about this and hope that you'll be able to continue armouring in a hobby capacity at least. Hope everything works out for you.

should those of us with orders with you get in touch to help get things sorted out?
'Prototype' is Engineer for 'I screwed this one up'

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother

-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare
x_Christian_x
Archive Member

Post by x_Christian_x »

Best of luck on it, mate.

If there's ever any way we can help, just say the word.
"Like thunder from the sky, sworn to fight and die..."
Otto von Teich
Archive Member

Post by Otto von Teich »

Sounds like your probably making the right decisions. Take care and dont stress yourself out. Your a good man. Best wishes.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Andrew Young
Archive Member

Post by Andrew Young »

Mad Matt wrote:If I sell my tools it will be all of them together along with the business including the name and the patterns and training. Price tag would likely be around $100K though. Part of that money would be spent on new tools which would be targeted differently.

Everything will get done including anyone who had been talking about something with me if they still want it.
Matt, maybe I missed this...

What are you thinking about doing next?

I do agree, keep SOME of youre tools...youll miss armouring soon enough.

I probably made over 200 breastplates and infinate numbers of cops for people back in the 90s. But in time I began to burn out. (back in those days much of the pounding was done sans Cet, etc)

I got into movie stuff for a while, it was fun. But I longed to get back into armouring by the early 2000s.

Its in your blood brother...youll miss it soon. Dont sell all those tools.
Fine Armour and Reproductions
Living History & Accurately Formed 'SCA' Grade
-----online catalog coming this spring----

http://www.partsandtechnical.com
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

Man I am sorry to hear this. You were blossoming as an armourer! Take care of yourself. Doing right by what you need and what you owe to customers in never easy. It sounds like you are doing both. Be well and stay active on the Archive.
Derian le Breton
Archive Member

Post by Derian le Breton »

Matt, I've admired your work for years now. I'm sad to see you leaving the business, but health HAS to come first! I hope you enjoy life more after the changes, and best of luck with the disability stuff.

-Donasian.
More or less no longer logging in to the AA. Have a nice life.
Propaganda Panda

Post by Propaganda Panda »

Sad t see you go Matt, I discovered your site about a month ago, and felt it was one of the best armor sites around.

Good luck with everything!
Dimitrios
Archive Member

Post by Dimitrios »

Thanks for getting me that shield boss Matt. Its a true testament to your character finishing up orders in lue of you putting the business on hold.
David Teague
Archive Member

Post by David Teague »

Hello Matt,

There were things that I'd planned to buy as your skills grew.

Now instead I wish you the best with your treatment and recovery.

Best Wishes,

David Teague
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

It doesn't really make sense to me to have all these people telling me what a great thing I'm doing by finishing my orders. All I'm doing is completing the work I was paid for or agreed to do for the orders I haven't been paid for yet. It's not something special. All I'm doing is what's right.

Maybe I should be writing a book when I'm done about how to run an armory and actually make a profit. I've had to keep this a secret up till now from most people because the SCA mentality says charging more then $10-15/hour is an outrage. The absolute minimum shop rate on any of my products is $50/hour. Most things are higher and some are as high as $300. My materials costs are also fairly low because I buy in bulk and buy from vendors who specialize in what they sell so they have a better product at a better price. How much does your local mechanic charge? Now remember they've got a smaller skill set and the same or less overhead.

I do really really apreciate all the positive posts though. They feel good and they give me the motivation I need to get everything done faster. Thank-you for all your support.
MadMatt'sArmory.com