Is my armor cohesive?

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

JohnA

Is my armor cohesive?

Post by JohnA »

Hello! New account and first post. After a couple months and what seems like ten thousand posts read on The Armour Archives I won’t say I’m more confused, but I will say I have even more appreciation for how much more there is to know.

I play SCA and did a little armored combat fighting some time ago before taking a long break. I had collected some steel pieces but mostly fought in covered hockey equipment. I’m still using that same equipment but am trying to put together a better kit. To that end I’ve acquired a few more items but I’m not sure I’ve done so well at keeping true to my persona. To avoid potentially skewing any replies I’ll leave out my place and time (not precisely nailed down) for now.

What I’m hoping is that you can tell me if this all fits together (so far) and, if so, where and when it could be. From that point I’d like to learn what my options are for completing the set.

I’m also hoping I actually managed to get the picture to post. :)

Thank you for any help you can give!

John
Attachments
IMG_2968.jpeg
Sean M
Archive Member

Re: Is my armor cohesive?

Post by Sean M »

If you want to look 1400-ish Western European, you could get a quilted coat with a nice broad skirt out of the Grandes Chroniques de France, either the kind cut with a waist which buttons or laces up the front, or the kind pulled in with a belt which pulls on like a sweater. If it has nice baggy sleeves until just before the wrist you can fit the shoulder and elbow armour underneath. Then get either steel cuisses or splinted cuisses covered in leather or fabric and get rid of the modern full-length quilted leggings. https://manuscriptminiatures.com/4163/8803
DIS MANIBUS GUILLELMI GENTIS MCLEANUM FAMILIARITER GALLERON DICTI
VIR OMNIBUS ARTIBUS PERITUS
Check out Age of Datini: European Material Culture 1360-1410
ryn S

Post by ryn S »

It makes me think of roller-skating pads. I think Sean´s suggestion would correct that.
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

Thank you for the suggestion, I hadn’t considered an option that would include covering everything up. Though two layers of padded clothing seems VERY hot.