10th century Rus burials

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

Russ Mitchell
Archive Member

Post by Russ Mitchell »

AND you quoted the wrong guy! :D
No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.
VikingofKiev
Archive Member

Post by VikingofKiev »

Russ Mitchell wrote:As far as I know the most common way to hang a tarsoly on belt concerns one strap. There is a rare exception from the Rus burial at Shestovitsa by the town of Chernigov in Ukraine.
This tarsoly is quite obscure. Though the very cast set is no doubt belongs to a tarsoly type (a very similar was found at least in Hungary) but, the suspension rings are no more that just an interpretation as there are no firm proves that they were used to hang a pouch on. There are some arguments about it.
This now widespread version that we make as well as others makers comes from Bliefeld's (an archeologist who excavated the burial) description of te find and later made model from Kiev Government History Museum which is present here in this thread above.
Russ Mitchell
Archive Member

Post by Russ Mitchell »

Guys... I didn't say that. That's some other dude.
No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.
Kormak
Archive Member

Re: 10th century Rus burials

Post by Kormak »

Greetings all..

Had a quick question..

I spoke to some research mates of mine about this find at lenght, not to long ago..

For some damn reason I keep thinking they had found silver coins near the shins and lower leg region of the mens burial..

I cant seem to recall if this was indeed where they found the coins, or perhaps spill over from decomp, etc..

I know they had found leather boot remains, akin to a set of taller calf lenght, Magyar style i think, boots and I wasnt sure if said coins would just be decoration or had a functional role...

Please forgive my ramblings, I have more lose in the noggin than usual at the moment..

Thanks for your time and comments..
Kormakr Mikjallson
Kormak
Archive Member

Post by Kormak »

Well looks as thought i have answered my own question...

http://www.redkaganate.org/clothing/mgyrclth.shtml

Thanks again Norman..
Kormakr Mikjallson
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

Kormak wrote:For some damn reason I keep thinking they had found silver coins near the shins and lower leg region of the mens burial..

I cant seem to recall if this was indeed where they found the coins, or perhaps spill over from decomp, etc..

I know they had found leather boot remains, akin to a set of taller calf lenght, Magyar style i think, boots and I wasnt sure if said coins would just be decoration or had a functional role...

Image :D