Late Medieval Angled Sword Suspensions

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

Sean M
Archive Member

Late Medieval Angled Sword Suspensions

Post by Sean M »

Last spring I started to sketch out a typology of late medieval sword suspensions. Because there is no study or typology, its hard to talk about the major types of medieval and 'modern medieval' suspension. Oakeshott came to that section of The Sword in the Age of Chivalry, thought about how much work he had already done and decided someone else another time could study scabbards and belts. Most of the modern scabbard makers have about 4 or 5 standard models for a 14th/15th century sword, they just don't name them. So this is a first try at suspensions in which the sword hangs at about a 45* angle to the ground. They were common until the mid-14th century, then fall out of fashion for a century. Currently, I have another section on Upright suspensions, where the blade hangs at roughly a right angle to the ground, but that section is less polished.

Medieval version of these suspensions tend to have slings both in front of and behind the body, so its not always possible to place a single picture from a single angle in this typology. If you can see the front slings, the rear slings are usually hidden, and vice versa.

Edit: On MyArmoury, Harry Maniakis found a study of sword belts in art from England: Albert Hartshorne, "The Sword Belts of the Middle Ages," The Archaeological Journal 48 (1891) pp. 320-34 https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/ar ... cfm?vol=48

Edit: See also Names for Scabbard Parts (2019)

Type A-0 ThisNameForRent (mid-15th century? - just two examples known): The scabbard is attached directly to the fauld of the pair of plates and hangs at an angle.

Claude Blair's favourite example was a painting of Sabbatai bringing water to King David: Konrad Witz the Elder, Heilsspiegelaltare, Kunsthalle, Basle (Blair pl. 33). How a Man Shall be Armed suggests either type A-0 or type U-0: "And then hange his daggere upon his right side. And then his shorte swerde upon the lyfte side in a rounde rynge all nakid and pylle it oute lightli."

Generally, this seems a very rare solution used by some men in harness.

Type A-1 Sancho IV of Castille (~1200-1330?): A short 'female' belt splits where it meets the front edge of the scabbard. The wide half wraps around the scabbard and is stitched to itself, the narrow half runs diagonally across the scabbard and meets a long, 'male' belt which is wrapped around the scabbard and stitched closed at the back edge. About a hand's width separates the two belts where they wrap around the scabbard. The male belt is buckled or laced though the female belt. The Z-shaped leathers at the throat of the scabbard can be seen in art.

This was very fashionable around the year 1300 and then fell out of fashion in the early 14th century. How early can it be found?

Type A-1a Maciejowski (mid 13th century?)

Roland Warzecha has a post on this type on the Dimicator Patreon

Type A-2 Naumberg (~13th century?) A short female belt is split and laced through the scabbard cover in a complicated system creating an X-shape on the front face of the scabbard. A long male belt is wrapped around the scabbard some distance below the throat. The male and female belts are buckled or laced together.

The scabbard of Fernando de la Cerda is a good example. Carol van Driel-Murray briefly talks about this style in her study of the scabbard leathers from Leiden.

Many of the donors at Naumberg Cathedral (built from 1213 to 1250) hold swords with this kind of belt.

Type A-6 Codex Manesse: Roland Warzecha has a post on this type which seems to use a strap slide

Type A-3 Westminister/Verona (c. 1329-c. 1380?): The locket has rings at the front and back edges. These can be on the same axis or offset with the ring on the front edge higher and the ring on the back edge lower. A band around the scabbard a handsbreadth or more below the locket has a ring on the back edge. The short female half and long male half of a belt end in rings which pass through the rings on the scabbard; an additional sling runs from the band to the belt somehow.

I don't know of any artwork which shows these, but many people copy the silver gilt scabbard fittings of Cangrande della Scala (d. 1329) in Verona and the silver scabbard fittings found on a sword blade at Westminister Bridge in London in the 18th century.

(Note: the wood and leather components of the Westminister scabbard are reconstructions, it spent 400 years in the Thames)

The old soldier with a long baselard in Altichiero's Passion of St. Lucia in Padua wears it in a Type A-3.

Type A-4 Paduan (1380-1480?): A waistbelt is buckled around the waist. Two slings run from different spots on the back edge of the scabbard to a single spot on the waistbelt at the small of the back. The tip of the waistbelt is threaded through a short strap hidden on the back of the scabbard near the throat, providing a third point of contact.

This appears as early as 1380 in Altichiero's paintings in Padua, but it is very rare through the first half of the 15th century (<1% of scabbards in art). I don't know of any surviving examples from any period, and I don't know if it ever becomes common. Tod Cutler has YouTube videos where he talks about how awesome these are, but it does not look like people in the late 14th/early 15th century agreed, at least not outside the Venice/Padua area.

(The Paduan Picture Bible from around 1400 shows this system)

Most scabbardmakers have made a few of type A-4, but I have trouble finding more than two clear depictions in art.

The warrior saint on the Trinity Altarpiece from Edinburgh by Hugo van der Goes (d. 1482) wears is sword in a type A-4. Note that his mittens of plate hang on a strap over his sword, and that the back slings seem to join together before they reach the waist belt, making a Y shape.

Mac's unsourced St. George shows two converging slings but not the belt or the hidden strap

Type A-5 thisNameForRent (1440-1480): from a waist belt, on three slings. Two of these touch the back of the scabbard a hand or more apart and converge at the side back or the small of the back, the third runs from the throat of the scabbard towards the wearer's right hip. The Montefeltro Altarpiece by Pierro della Francesca is a good example, so is the brass of John Cherowin (d. 1441). This seems to be a rare solution in the 15th century.

The Bruges copy of Jean Froissart's chronicle (BNF Français 2643) also shows this solution on page 292r.

The Getty Fior di Battaglia may be showing an A-5 or an A-4 in this picture, its hard to tell in a tiny sketch and only one sling to the belly and one to the small of the back are visible. So it could also be similar to the system in Dürer's Knight, Death, and the Devil (first watercolour 1498, printed 1513).

The Paduan Bible Picture Book seems to show it or something similar. Suspensions with "the tip of the sword lifted off the ground" (rule of the Francs-Archers) are often associated with Saracens in art from the 14th and early 15th century.

Are the features of the different types clear? Can you widen my date ranges for any of these or give other examples? Do you know of any angled suspensions ~1300 to ~1500 which I am missing? Are there regional differences as well as chronological ones? Can you suggest names for the styles which just have numbers? Swords worn upright or tilted slightly forward will be part of a later post.

There are some funky solutions in art from the mid to late 15th century, but I ran out of steam before I could start collecting and sorting artwork.
Last edited by Sean M on Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DIS MANIBUS GUILLELMI GENTIS MCLEANUM FAMILIARITER GALLERON DICTI
VIR OMNIBUS ARTIBUS PERITUS
Check out Age of Datini: European Material Culture 1360-1410
Kel Rekuta
Archive Member

Re: Late Medieval Angled Sword Suspensions

Post by Kel Rekuta »

Great article Sean!

However, I get this from Harry's link, as presented.

DOI Not Found

10.5284/10180540

EDIT
This seemed to work. https://doi.org/10.1080/00665983.1891.10852484
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Ok, I changed the link. Humanists are not smart about permanent URIs and there are a lot of fake-DOIs like the T&F one that lead to a paywalled version of an open-access article.

I hope Harry makes the time to write up his scabbard research, but I figured this was better posted than sitting on my hard drive.
Harry Marinakis
Archive Member

Post by Harry Marinakis »

"This was very fashionable around the year 1300 and then fell out of fashion in the early 14th century. How early can it be found?"

The scabbards of the Naumberg statues are the earliest depictions that I have found of the offset sword belt. This would be circa AD 1200, if you presume that planning for these statues took place about 10 years before the cathedral was actually constructed. I have been attempting to get some information from someone who claims to have evidence of these offset belts from a much earlier time period, but he has not responded to my requests for that information.

The belts in the Naumberg scabbards are very wide -- much wider than any belts before or since (approx 4 inches). Could these be the first generation design of these scabbard belts?

There are regional differences. For instance, the Naumberg-type scabbard, with the tied belt, was the predominant type of scabbard in the German empire well into the 14th century, long after everyone else went to belt buckles. Even the massive 2-handed XIIa war swords were suspended in this way. The English switched to narrow belts with belt buckles right around 1180 or 1200 and never looked back.

There are also class differences. Regular man-at-arms are frequently depicted with scabbards that are suspended the old-fashioned way (vertically) while their leaders are shown in the same images as having more advanced scabbard suspensions.
Otto Böse
(Otto the Wicked)
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Thank you Harry! Would you say that the A-1 Sancho of Castille is a later development than the A-2 Naumberg? It is less of a 'laced' solution, but laced solutions were still popular at Leiden and Schleswig in the early 14th (but like you say, German fashions).

I agree about German fashions being different than some other parts of Europe. Its just that I have so few examples of most of these that I don't want to say "that is English" based on two examples. As far as I can tell, around 1360 people all over the Frankish world start wearing their swords upright, and don't go back to angled until well into the 15th century. I don't know the solutions before 1350 as well.

Did you see Alexander Kernig's interpretation of the Codex Manesse scabbards as having just a strap bridge? I saw it in person but Roland W has a blog post https://www.patreon.com/posts/german-sword-31891225
Harry Marinakis
Archive Member

I have seen illuminations that clearly show that the Manesse style suspensions have the belt passing directly through the back of the leather cover -- not through a "slider" as reproduced by Kernig. Otherwise I love his work.
Otto Böse
(Otto the Wicked)
Harry Marinakis
Archive Member

Here is my interpretation of the Naumberg scabbard that I made almost exactly 5 years ago. I used a very soft, almost cloth-like, leather that doesn't stretch.

Roland also did the proper piping around the rain guard, which I had never seen anyone else do before today. Big congrats to Roland for doing that; he may have been the first. Looks like I came up with the same solution for the piping 5 years ago as Roland did 10 years ago.

I also figured out the ladder-like lacing, which has since been used by European scabbard makers. But I haven't seen anyone besides Roland and myself reproduce the round piping around the rain guard.

Otto Böse
(Otto the Wicked)
Harry Marinakis
Archive Member

Maybe it's not as clear as I remember. But here it is.

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4688/12045/
Otto Böse
(Otto the Wicked)
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Thanks Harry. So we have Codex Manesse from 1300-1340 and Morgan M.739 Book of Hours from 1204-1219.

Could the strap slide be under the leather and the bindings above and below atop the leather just reinforce it? That is one thing I have noticed: the archaeologists and reproduction artists sometimes assume that the strap slide has to go under the leather, but folks like Roland say "sometimes we can see impressions of it on the flesh side of the leather, or its carved into the slat, and that works just fine."

I want to finish my first wood-core scabbard, I just have to sharpen the chisels and sit down with the wood.

Finding the right leather is hard. The broad white knotted belts may have been something like buff, and some modern veg-tan is a bit stiff even for things they made in veg-tan. Its not a big deal if you can visit the shop and feel it, or if the dealer understands what you want, but trying to mail-order leather is impossible.
Harry Marinakis
Archive Member

Promise Land Tannery sells a cream-colored Latigo leather that is the best leather that I have found for these belts. Its not white but close enough. It's very soft but doesn't stretch. It's a bit too thick but I run it over a belt sander to skive it thinner.
Otto Böse
(Otto the Wicked)
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Thank you Harry! I don't see latigo in their online store, but I have added them to Suppliers for Historical Crafts as "recommended by Harry M."
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

I stumbled across one more manuscript with the A-4 Paduan or A-5 nameless suspension, Bibliotheque Nationale du France Français 357 Guiron le Cortoise They say it is from 1420 and it seems plausible, there are some early salets and bevors and some pauldrons.

The painter does not always show the sling in front, but if there were just two slings (sometimes together at the hip, sometimes one at the belly and one over the bum) I think it would be unstable, and that short male belt is a little detail.
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Tod has a video on suspensions he has recently rigged. After watching it at 2:30, I think I need a type for the style on the brass of Sir John d'Abernon the Elder (d. 1277), Sir Roger de Trumpington (d. 1289) and a few English brasses up to 1312 or so (Hartshorne numbers 18, 32, 36). How about calling it John d'Abernon?

Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

The trouble with this is that there are so many variations and so much unclear art that a typology is never going to be complete. So I am trying to focus on some of the types that are very common, and some of the types that many people are making today, but I have to gather the art to decide if something is common enough to get its own listing.
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

The Beauchamp Pageant (drawn in England, c. 1475-1500) shows archers with an A-4 or A-5 suspension at the Battle of Shrewsbury.

Thanks Dimicator
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Tod has a video on some of his knotted suspensions Belts to make your scabbard wearable. These include Dürer's "Knight, Death, and the Devil" suspension.

If you are as clumsy-fingered as me, it might be worth studying as you try to recreate things you see in the art.
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Matt Easton has a pinterest page of medieval sword suspensions (well 15th and 16th century sword suspensions). Most would fall into the 'vertical' class in my typology (and some are daggers and baselards not swords).

At 6 minutes in to this YouTube video he shows how he does the wrapped and knotted suspensions which were fashionable in central Europe in Albrecht Dürer's day.
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Roland Warzecha has a post on the A-2 Maciejowski suspension with a short female strap and long male strap split into a main strap and a sling