And now for the textile freaks...

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

Tracy Justus
Archive Member

Post by Tracy Justus »

There are some from York, like this one (ref.003443) and this one (ref. 003433). Unfortunately the site doesn't date them more precisely than 'medieval period'. There's an earlier 'viking period' tool (ref. 003402) as well. (For the associated text, put 'lucet' or 'tool' in the search window on the home page. I can't seem to link the picture plus the text.)

Clare
weaviebee

and five years later

Post by weaviebee »

earnest carruthers wrote:There are some 12 - 13th century lucets in finds from Beverley, East Yorkshire, England.

Sheep metacarpal.

I will add the book ref, a friend has it at present.

Any news on this update? I'm working on a research paper because I have an interest in bringing lucet-cord into a more respected place in re-creationist history. The cord is so darn useful for armoring and garb-work.
elden
Archive Member

Post by elden »

Hi Weaviebee. No research update from me, but wanted to warn that knitted cords are not very good for armouring, as they fail after only one ply is worn through. Fingerloop braided or tubular tablet woven cords will tolerate a lot more punishment before failing.

Because many armours are effectively held together with bits of string, a snapped cord can be serious.
"10 feet is too far away to hit people" - Murdock
Company of the Staple - Life in Calais, 1376
FrauHirsch
Archive Member

Post by FrauHirsch »

This is also interesting and would make strong cord:

http://genvieve.net/sca/whipcording-howto.html
weaviebee

Post by weaviebee »

elden said:
Because many armours are effectively held together with bits of string, a snapped cord can be serious.
Thanks for the comment and the very relevant safety mindfulness. I should have been more clear: Most of our "armor" uses are more along the lines of fighting-garb ties for disguising ugly first-time-in-the-armor-shop kind of stuff. I intended to emphasize that there are very many uses for a cord that can be nearly instantly generated. (Civil War luceters seem to routinely get to an inch per minute, with no length limit except what's on the skein/spool.)

And FrauHirsch - Thanks for the link! My local group had a class about that cord, and it's pretty much amazing.