Great helm crest, torse and mantle

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Re: Great helm crest, torse and mantle

Post by Chris Gilman »

Not a period correct manner, but I held my crest on with magnets. This was done so if it was struck, it wold come off with minimal damage.

For the lacing difficulty, 2sided carpet tape would hold it while lacing if you are short a extra set of hands.
Cian of Storvik
Archive Member

Post by Cian of Storvik »

This is off-topic. But because I'm still awaiting my balsa wood block to start carving, here's what I worked on yesterday:
Adding a belt to one of my scabbards. One down, 5 to go.

Also, here is the inspiration for the helmet crest. This is a ceramic figure of a sea-chicken....I mean...sea griffin from Leeds City Museum. When I saw this, I thought "This would make a great crest"...well, not in material or in its actual construction. But the shape and positioning.
The things that I don't like, I'll change. But what I do like is the open mouth, the transition from tale to torso, the webbed hands, and the way the tail is knotted as a stable base. The short front arms resting on the ball (globe?) will be changed, as will the wings and the shape of the head (which reminds me of Foghorn Leghorn).

I think...I say, I think this will be a good project, son!

-Cian
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Anonymous
When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality. -Thomas Jefferson
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Cian, the gold really pops! I love it!
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

It turned out great, Cian. Bravo!

-Gerhard
Cian of Storvik
Archive Member

Post by Cian of Storvik »

Thank you for the compliments. It's not done yet, but looking back now it seems silly to have trepidation starting it. Even with girlfriend/birthday/work load issues, it hasn't been hard to get to this point. I'm trying to keep momentum going though (was fixing an old 1930's type-writer the other day and working on another scabbard) until I can start on the new crest.
-Cian

Addendum
Just received the wood blocks for carving into a new helm crest. While waiting, I painted and spruced-up the foam dragon head crest the past couple of evenings. Glass stones (like in fishbowls, or planters, or what are scattered around candles) are standing in for eyes. A bit of Sharpie on the back for a pupil, and the eyeballs follow you! Painting the teeth white makes them stand out more and a tongue made of leather. The eye-lids need to be repainted, as putting in the glass stones damaged the paint a bit. The camera flash makes the eyes look a lot more demonic than the ambient light.

I'm eager to start carving, but the girlfriend has decided she wants the blinds in the bedroom changed, and new drapes and rods added, and more honey-do items for today, and church and superbowl is tomorrow. Soo...Maybe carving can start next weekend.
ImageImage
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Anonymous
When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality. -Thomas Jefferson
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Well, I have been inspired by this, and have started on my own!

http://imgur.com/a/Bh0P0
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Here are some photos from a tourney crest I did for a recent coronation. Based off of a 15th century Jousting Crest.

Foam core with paper mache and tape. Then painted.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
Otto von Teich
Archive Member

Post by Otto von Teich »

Wow! Well done! This has been an inspiration. I need to work on a torse and mantel and drill the lacing holes for mine. Like Chris ( Who I got mine from, Thanks again man!) I hold mine on with magnets.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Will Phillips
Archive Member

Post by Will Phillips »

I've nothing to contribute here other than my admiration. Impressive work.
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

I have a skep on my greathelm for a crest (heraldry includes bees). It is held on with magnets also.
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Any more progress in this? Mine stalled because I went back to work, but now I'm picking it up again.

Did you glue the goatskin to the leather cap or just see it on?

Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

:bump:

Perhaps the earliest examples of a torse I've found, though the crest sometimes appears to be backwards. Curious.

Decretals of Gregory IX
BL Royal 10 E IV
1300-1340; Tolouse(?), France

fo. 256v, bottom
http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.asp ... e_iv_f256v
fo. 261v, bottom
http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.asp ... e_iv_f261v
fo. 293r
http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.asp ... e_iv_f293r
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
TrimarianNormanTemplar
Archive Member