Mid-week practice in DFW area, Dec 27-30?

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Mid-week practice in DFW area, Dec 27-30?

Post by Maelgwyn »

I'll be in town visiting Llewellyn and Xene. Will folks be doing a mid-week practice that week? Any interest in a post-Chistmas meet and beat? I'd like a chance to work with some people who have used center-grip shields, especially ovals, longer than I have.
Maelgwyn
Hardened leather, hardened steel, linen, natural fiber padding, riveted chain, rawhide-edged birch plywood:
Cool lightweight medieval technologies for superior combat performance.
Russ Mitchell
Archive Member

Post by Russ Mitchell »

If it's not a Thursday... I won't have SCA-level equipment ready by any factor (just finishing my lamellar, haven't made the felt yet, but I can certainly do some slow work or be a pell for you.
Colète
Archive Member

Post by Colète »

Maelgwyn,

I don't know what my family plans are at this point. But check back in with me on email (stacy.dickey@sbcglobal.net) and I'll know more as time passes. Not just for myself... but for other heavies in the area as well.

~Colete
Jean Richard Malcolmson
Archive Member

Post by Jean Richard Malcolmson »

Depending on exactly When in mid week, maybe I could find enough interest in Rosenfeld to make a field trip to Dallas. This could possibly include myself, Duke Patrick or Sir William, et. al. I was talking to Pat today and between work, the Holidays and rainy weather we have missed enough practice that we are itching to have someone (try to) hit us with a stick.

Regards,
Duke Richard
Russ Mitchell
Archive Member

Post by Russ Mitchell »

My gear may not be the greatest for SCA (total lack of a legal helm being numero uno, since I do have legal arms), but I might at least be able to give you some weird-angled la canne shot combos for the purpose.

If not, I'll simply spectate and provide some vodka if you get down here, J-R-... it's been a bit.
Jean Richard Malcolmson
Archive Member

The other thing I need to do is try to get the Rosenfeld group to head to Dallas to work out with Brian Price, sometime. Several of the guys have expressed interest.

Regards,
Jean Richard
Colète
Archive Member

Post by Colète »

Jean Richard Malcolmson wrote:Depending on exactly When in mid week, maybe I could find enough interest in Rosenfeld to make a field trip to Dallas. This could possibly include myself, Duke Patrick or Sir William, et. al. I was talking to Pat today and between work, the Holidays and rainy weather we have missed enough practice that we are itching to have someone (try to) hit us with a stick.

Your Grace, it would be most excellent to have you boys come out to play. There *is* the Bedford Boys' Ranch practice on Wed's at 7pm. I just don't know how many plan on showing. But, I'll egg the local heavies on if you know you can make it out. Maelgwyn, that goes for you too. Will any of you need directions?

~Colete
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Post by Maelgwyn »

Colete wrote: There *is* the Bedford Boys' Ranch practice on Wed's at 7pm. I just don't know how many plan on showing. But, I'll egg the local heavies on if you know you can make it out. Maelgwyn, that goes for you too. Will any of you need directions?

~Colete

I will need directions.
Maelgwyn
Hardened leather, hardened steel, linen, natural fiber padding, riveted chain, rawhide-edged birch plywood:
ROC
Archive Member

Post by ROC »

Maelgwyn I sent you a P.M. I think that Colete has A good plan count me in.

ROC
Colète
Archive Member

Post by Colète »

Maelgwyn wrote:
I will need directions.

The address pulls up correctly on MapQuest.com:

2801 Forest Ridge Drive
Bedford, TX 76021

Once inside the park, keep to the left. We're on the left in the clearing up by the apartments, past the small theater on the right. Let me know if you need further information. And if you want a cell # to call, just in case, PM me.
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Post by Maelgwyn »

Do they do youth boffer and youth rapier at that practice as well? I want to know if I should bring the kids and their gear.
Hubert
Archive Member

Post by Hubert »

The canton of Glaslyn holds their fighter practice on Monday nights as well. Directions can be found at http://www.glaslyn.org/fp.php
Last edited by Hubert on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hubert d'Aigues-Mortes
I'm only slightly mad, the rest of me is the king of Sweden
Knickers to You!
Colète
Archive Member

Post by Colète »

Maelgwyn wrote:Do they do youth boffer and youth rapier at that practice as well? I want to know if I should bring the kids and their gear.

No, there isn't a regular youth combat practice in Elfsea, light or heavy. How many kids do you have? How old are they? Go ahead and bring their gear and I'll do some boffer sparring with them, with your permission of course. I don't have any boffer weapons, so bring what extra you have. (I'm not an authorized YCM in Ansteorra yet, but still hold my authorizations in Trimaris.)

~Colete
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Post by Maelgwyn »

My daughter, 14, does youth rapier and is always glad to fight adults. At 5'9" she has reach on many of the adults already. Are there usually rapier fighters at the Bedford practice, or is it armoured only?

My son, 12, does boffer. Although he has learned a lot of 2-handed sword technique from Tarquin, he still much prefers to fight against kids his own age. He works with Ben, Zach, Sam and Evan regularly at our Tuesday practice, which has allowed the whole group of them to improve fairly quickly. Since there won't be other kids there I suspect he'll want to stay home and play on cousin Tony's X-box. Thank you for the offer, Colete.

This will be fun! I may even persuade Llewellyn to dust off his armour and come play. I suspect a melee or two might break out if there are enough fighters.
Maelgwyn
Colète
Archive Member

Post by Colète »

Maelgwyn wrote: Are there usually rapier fighters at the Bedford practice, or is it armoured only?

<snip>

This will be fun! I may even persuade Llewellyn to dust off his armour and come play. I suspect a melee or two might break out if there are enough fighters.

Rapier practice does happen at the same time at this practice, yes. I'm talking to a few who attend now and will let them know your daughter will be there, ready to practice.

As for melees, that would be awesome. But don't hold your breath on THAT many people showing. Attendance has been slacking off lately, and I'm sure will still be thin due to the holidays. But I'll make sure our visitors have enough meat to chew on, should the trip be made.

~Colete
Rixende

Post by Rixende »

Centurian Tomas is almost always there, and if I know that we will be having visitors formt he Rapier Community I will make sure that I am there following my son's mundane fencing lesson. (I'm usually back by around 8)

Looking forward to the visitors!

-Rixende
Valstarr Hawkwind
Archive Member

Post by Valstarr Hawkwind »

Hubert,

I received a 404 error twice whle trying the link you posted. I am interested in non-church nights as I look ti get back to the 'swing' of things.

Val
Right is Not Reckoned by Numbers
Hubert
Archive Member

Post by Hubert »

Bah, it added my period (curse my wicked grammar skillz!) to the url. I removed it and it works now.
Hubert d'Aigues-Mortes
I'm only slightly mad, the rest of me is the king of Sweden
Knickers to You!
Valstarr Hawkwind
Archive Member

Got it. Thanks, Hubert! I'll e-mail ahead to see if everything is on if I can get out of here on one of the Mondays.

Thanks!
Val
Marc-Antoine

Post by Marc-Antoine »

Hey Val,

If you're not too far from the OKC area, we have a pretty solid turn-out at our Tuesday night practices in Guthrie.

Marc-Antoine
Valstarr Hawkwind
Archive Member

Thanks, Marc! Tuesday is a busy one much of the year for me, but next week may be doable! I'll check in and see f it looks like I can come up.

Thanks!
Val
Jean Richard Malcolmson
Archive Member

I don't think that I will be able to get a group to come from Tyler. It looks like most of us are busy with family stuff that week.

Sorry.

Regards,
Jean Richard
Colète
Archive Member

Post by Colète »

Marc-Antoine wrote:Hey Val,

If you're not too far from the OKC area, we have a pretty solid turn-out at our Tuesday night practices in Guthrie.

Marc-Antoine

Ahhhh drats, I should have brought my armour.

Jean-Richard, I'll let the locals know. Malg... sorry but I think this might mean there won't be any turn-out. Give my squire-bro, Tomas, a shout to confirm any attendance. (PM me if you need his contact info). I'm in OKC until Wed night, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it, either.
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Post by Maelgwyn »

Well, I'm here in Cedar Hill but I seem to have come down with some sort of crud...looks like I won't be going to practice tonight either. I'll have to come back up some Sunday when I'm feeling better.

Maelgwyn