TFBO news

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Wolf
Archive Member

TFBO news

Post by Wolf »

talked to jamesb briefly while he's out playing norman in the west.

seems to be haveing a good time! about 40ish peoples. 7-8 horsemen riding down the saxon dogs. james said they slept outside mainly save they had call for rain and had to sleep in a tent 1 night i believe.

Glen kyle broke his leg in 3 places soon after he got there i think. had to go all the way back home. and Pete James form england got bit by a brown recluse on teh stomach (blach)

all in all a great time, james said he got hit in the crouch by a sword and hit in the chin by a spear, so no big loss heheheh
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Re: TFBO news

Post by Alcyoneus »

Wolf wrote:Glen kyle broke his leg in 3 places soon after he got there i think.
Will they be able to save him, or will they have to put him down? :shock:

I hope he doesn't need surgery, any idea how bad the breaks are?
My 10yo daughter says I'm pretty!

Squire to Jarl Asgeirr Gunnarson, Barony of Vatavia, Calontir
Wolf
Archive Member

Post by Wolf »

i dunno, i heard Halv shot him cause of the broken leg... so he had to go home with a broken leg and a bullet wound. ;)
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

My sympathies to Glen K. How did it happen? I hope it wasn't combat related.

Mord.
Glen K
Archive Member

Post by Glen K »

Oh Lord, I was dreading this making the rounds.... :roll:

We got up there, and after about 1.5 hours of getting the horses picketed and the tents set up, I slip in a grassy muddy spot on the hill, turning my left foot outwards. Everyone thought/hoped it was sprained, but...

I get to the hospital, yep, ankle broken in two places (malleaor fractures on the tibia, for what that's worth). The orthopedist couldn't get to it until late the next day, so under consult with the doctor I decide to go ahead and try to head back home so that MY orthopedist (yes, it's sad that I have one) can do the work. So, after some quick goodbyes, I'm on my way.

After a very long drive of frequent stopping, I get home, sleep a few hours, then get up to go to the doctor down here. The night before I realized my leg was now hurting in a place it wasn't before, about 4" below the knee. I look at the xrays that were sent with me, and just at the top of one there is the smallest crack. Not being trained in radiological interpretation, I nevertheless fear the worst. Well, fears confirmed: break of the fibula. So, three breaks in one fall. :sad:

Long story short, I've got a cast up to my knee (not past it, thank God), and can probably walk on it in 4 weeks.

I feel really bad that I missed what, from all accounts, sounds like a super-cool bang-up event. My apologies to everyone I abandoned/let down, and all I can say is: Next Time! :)
I hope it wasn't combat related.
Are you kidding, Mord? That's about the only thing that could have made it worth-while and saved me from disgrace. I mean, "I took out five berserkers before the sixth got me" sounds a lot better than "I slipped in mud". ;)
Fire Stryker
Archive Member

Post by Fire Stryker »

Hey Glen,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. FWIW, it's usually not the big things that take you out, it's the little ones. A friend ( a seasoned jogger) was taken out by a pebble. Put his foot down wrong and it toppled him on to the asphalt, after breaking his ankle in two places.

May you have a swift and uneventful recovery.

Jenn
Greenshield
Archive Member

Post by Greenshield »

Some how I managed to go the whole event and only come away with one pic so here it is. Hope more get posted soon.

Cam
Haldan
Archive Member

Post by Haldan »

Hey Camric!

What's in the baskets?

Haldan
Adsum Domine
Wolf
Archive Member

Post by Wolf »

Haldan wrote:Hey Camric!

What's in the baskets?

Haldan
saxon heads ;)
guthrothr
Archive Member

Post by guthrothr »

Oh Lord, I was dreading this making the rounds.... :roll:

We got up there, and after about 1.5 hours of getting the horses picketed and the tents set up, I slip in a grassy muddy spot on the hill, turning my left foot outwards. Everyone thought/hoped it was sprained, but...
Glen, I'm real sorry to hear about what happened. We will get to meet up again, but it might just have to wait until next year :wink:

Not that it will make you feel any better, but on this occasion you seem to have taken one for the whole team, as I'm unaware of any combat related incidents at all.

As for me, yes one of the little 'Brown Recluse' spiders seems to have taken a shine to foreign food and nipped me on the stomach just above my waist band. The folk at the hospital were very nice, and I have a ream of paperwork, two batches of antibiotics and a nice little wrist band as a souvenir of an excellent weekend.

Otherwise the event was great fun, and I'll post a longer report later.
Guthroth Of Colanhomm

"Have Sword, Will Travel..."

www.vikingsna.org
Thorbjorn
Archive Member

Post by Thorbjorn »

Glen K wrote:MY orthopedist (yes, it's sad that I have one) can do the work
Hey now, most folks over 25 that participate in contact sports (heh!) have both an ortho and a chiro if not more. ;)

Glad to hear that it wasn't too bad. So it's 4 weeks of being buttside before you get the walking cast? Any word as to how long before you get to start PT?
"A good Frankish neighbor is one that lives next to your enemy" - Milanese Count, c1450

Thorbjorn Shieldbender | m/k/a Erik Olsen Shieldbender.com
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Glen and Pete got the worst injuries, mostly you get light bruises from being struck with steel.

Here is my only picture I got, I also have movies to share later:

[img]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/f ... ull/Me.jpg[/img]
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

Cam
I will see what I can do about gettting the 'glamour shots' that the professional photographer we had on site took.

I was greatly unhappy to see Glen get hurt as well, I really looked forward to hanging out with him for a bit.

It was a great event and I think it was successful at all levels from what I can tell, I will agree with another poster on the Vikes list that said "you havent lived until you have chased down a mounted Norman knight':)

A full report will be coming later as well as pics and movies;)

Halv
just dropped off the last load of brits and am back at work
Glen K
Archive Member

Post by Glen K »

Glen, I'm real sorry to hear about what happened. We will get to meet up again, but it might just have to wait until next year
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Pete, and glad it's a managable thing. I can assure everyone that the anger and frustration of missing the event far outweighed ANY pain I had or continue to have. I was looking forward to meeting you again, and giving you books as well as the traditional "hard time". Oh well, yes, next year in Battle you can count on my presence. The first round is on me. :)
Any word as to how long before you get to start PT?
PT? Lord, I hope I don't have to have much/any. I'm hoping to get back on my bicycle as fast as possible, then maybe some jogging... nevertheless, I'm gonna do it slow and steady. The only benefit I'm noticing is that using these crutches is a) wearing me out, b) building up my arms, abdomen, and right leg pretty well so far. Ah well, we'll see.

I'd love to see any pictures anyone happened to take. If I'm lucky someone got a snapshot of my dangerous opponent, "Mount Bastard". :)
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

I'd love to see any pictures anyone happened to take. If I'm lucky someone got a snapshot of my dangerous opponent, "Mount Bastard". :)
--I had previously taken one:)

[img]http://www.vikingsna.org/tfbo/site_info ... mping1.JPG[/img]

Halv
Sir Wulfric

Thanks & a few pictures.

Post by Sir Wulfric »

Awesome event. It was fun. Thanks to the Vikings NA and Halv for all the work.
Here are a few pictures. The last one being a scripted bit where Taillefer is pulled from his horse and killed:

Wulfric/Andy
Last edited by Sir Wulfric on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

It was my pleasure Andy
It was good to meet you
The Brits said many times that it was a pleasure working with you all and that you all were light years ahead of most of the horsemen they work with in the UK.

Halv
who wants to point out these pics were taken after the second show on the first day and that a handful of folks werent able to particpate for various reasons.
Sir Wulfric

More pics

Post by Sir Wulfric »

Thanks Halv. The Brits were great. I appreciate all their instruction. Here are a few more pics.

I think next time we are going to get Glen up on a horse first thing so he doesn't do any walking.
Wulfric
Wolf
Archive Member

Post by Wolf »

wow
guthrothr
Archive Member

Re: More pics

Post by guthrothr »

Sir Wulfric wrote:Thanks Halv. The Brits were great. I appreciate all their instruction. Here are a few more pics.
For those who are interested, the two banners on view (the white green and gold 'Papal' and the 'Fighting Man') were flown over from the UK for the event and are the ones that will be used at Hastings 2005 and 2006.

Guthroth Of Colanhomm - the bitten one

Have Sword, Will Hunt Spiders
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Wow! Sorry I missed the event but proud to say I was able to support such a worthy effort, financially (at least in a small way). You all look great and I look forward to seeing more photos.
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

I put up my 13 minute footage of the battle, it's 233 megs so download it to your hard drive and watch it, takes about an hour.

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/f ... BO/Movies/
James B.
Historic Life
Glen K
Archive Member

Post by Glen K »

Wow, those look so good...

Man, now I'm REALLY bummed... :(

And, for what it's worth: see the green shields with the yellow swirly cross? That's the official Fitzosbern look, so all you Saxon types get used to fearing it. ;)
Josh W
Archive Member

Post by Josh W »

I'm really sorry I missed it, too. If I hadn't gotten sidetracked by my house burning down, maybe I'd have remembered it. What sucks even more is that I was right there in Missouri (with my mail hauberk, even!!!)that very weekend. I didn't even remember this was going on until Trevor mentioned it at the Renaissance Fair.
"When a land rejects her legends, Sees but falsehoods in the past;
And its people view their Sires in the light of fools and liars,
'Tis a sign of its decline and its glories cannot last."
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

I finally got my pics uploaded to the Folder called TFBO at

http://www.vikingsna.org/gallery/Norsa

I was only able to take pics of the second battle of the day, we had lost a few by that time
Good pics none the less

Halv
still downloading James's movies
Tancred de Lanvellec
Archive Member

Post by Tancred de Lanvellec »

Now that is cool!!!!!!! :o
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Tanc are you going to make Hastings in MD?
James B.
Historic Life
Merlin the Mad
Archive Member

Post by Merlin the Mad »

Here's the URL to my updated page on 2006, wherein I refer to TFBO recently accomplished.

Later I hope to post some pics of my own. I will get back with that when I am done.

http://www.angelfire.com/mb2/battle_has ... s2006.html
Merlin

"Push the button, Max...."
Merlin the Mad
Archive Member

No movies for me so far

Post by Merlin the Mad »

I tried for several hours to download James Barker's movie - no go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Merlin

"Push the button, Max...."
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

IMO if your on a slow connection forget about it
I am on a T1 line and have been downloading since he first posted.
Its 4:40 now and I am at 97%

Halv
Wil
Archive Member

Post by Wil »

I'm on the school computers (which are pretty fast), I've got 1% dowloaded; estimated time remaining, 16 hours 20 minutes :)

I'll be essay writing for another three hours so I'll let it do it's thing, if it's not finished by then to hell with it :)

~Wil
"The teeth are spears and arrows, and the tongue is a sharp sword'- St. Bernard of Clairveaux
Wolf
Archive Member

Post by Wolf »

taking a lil over 6 hours on cable
JesseB
Archive Member

Post by JesseB »

Finally got to sit down and write a post. It has taken at least a day or more to clean all my TFBO kit! Mostly the metal parts that touched the horse (stirrups, bit, spurs). I finally just blued them all heavily.

Thanks to Rob for putting on the event. And to ALL the Brits for coming over! It was good to see you all again. Thanks Cam for the deal on the sword. I now have a sword that I am proud of and won't be embarrased by the old one again. And to the rest of the cavalry that stuck together without one mishap - great job! Minus Glen, who didn't even manage to mount a horse! You all may get Andy and I mixed up - we both have the FitzOsbern shields, but we switched off on the banner.

It was a great time (even with the 12 hour drive). We will now try to get the 1069 event that was previously planned going again. GO GLEN GO! You may as well do something while you are recuperating.

I'll post some pics myself later this week. Wensdie took lots of them. Right now I am still working on my kit for the Atlanta History Center Time Line that Glen is in charge of.

James B - get your guys together. We need to do a FitzOsbern thing sometime soon.

Later!
Jesse B
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

The long downloads are likely do to so many people grabbing it at once. I know Paul, Halv, Wolf, and Merlin were all grabbing it at once.

Jesse how soon are you guys thinking?
James B.
Historic Life
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

Jesse

I have already begun to press the Brits to send over official Equestrian Folks this spring so that we can get you on the path to becoming the epicenter of the mounted combat stuff in NA. So when you get some specifics on dates and things let me know asap.

Alexis mentioned becoming a member as well, if he does, id like to see him become involved as well.

Halv