Period gamb..gamb...uh QUILTED cuisses

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Cat
Archive Member

Period gamb..gamb...uh QUILTED cuisses

Post by Cat »

Ok, so I don't know how to spell it or pronounce it, but I need some pics of period padded cuisses. :) I also would love to have a description about how they are made and how the knee cop and strapping are attached. Does anyone know of a site that has this information?

Thanks so much!
Cat
Catherine's Quest is no longer in business. I may open back up at some point in the future. Thank you all for all of your support over these last few years. It has meant the world to me.
william
Archive Member

Post by william »

Hi,

IIRC Master Paul's "Basic Armouring" has a pattern in it. I don't know whether it is based on any historical precedents or just his interpretation. The whole manual can be downloaded at http://www.brighthelm.org

Cheers,
William
Last edited by william on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
+ Noli fortius me ferire +

Ld. William Gifford
Shire of Two Seas, Drachenwald, SCA
Saint-Sever
Archive Member

Post by Saint-Sever »

M-ski Bible, c. 1250 AD
Attachments
cuisses.jpeg
cuisses.jpeg (19.69 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

William,
Thanks for the link. I can't seem to get it to load though. When I click the link to download, I just get a blank window. Not sure what's wrong...

Saint-Sever,
Thanks for the pic. Were these made to fit loosely? They look kind of baggy in the pic. Also, how far down on the leg should they come? Just past the knee, or mid calf? Were these made in a solid tube shape, or did they lace up somewhere?

Thanks so much,
Cat
Catherine's Quest is no longer in business. I may open back up at some point in the future. Thank you all for all of your support over these last few years. It has meant the world to me.
MacGowan Metals
Archive Member

Post by MacGowan Metals »

Cat,
PM me your email address. I'll send you the PDF file directly.

Jason
audax wrote:My personal stance is I never intentionally aim to hit a guy in the nardicles and I always apologize if i do so on accident. That way no one intentionally hits me in the nip and we can beat each other like civilized folk.
Ceddie
Archive Member

Post by Ceddie »

Here is one of the best looking, most logical examples I've seen

:wink:
Attachments
paddedCuisse3.jpg
paddedCuisse3.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Eddie Costello
(SCA-Cedric the Just of Dorchester)
--or--
Ceddie
---------------
WATONGO!
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Here are some of the nicest detail pics I've ever seen of gamboised cuisses (see below). Yeah, I've posted them before, and here they are again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/f ... uisse1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/f ... uisse2.jpg
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

Ceddie, you are too kind. :)

Tim, thanks for those images. I apologize if you had posted them for me before. They look kind of familiar, so maybe you did. Although I can't really tell what's going on with the knee cop and cuisse in the first pic, I can see how the cuisse is made at the bottom. That helps alot!

Thanks so much.
Cat
Sixtus_Goetz
Archive Member

Post by Sixtus_Goetz »

I have it on my armour @ home site... here's the link

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/s ... Armouring/

Cheers

Sixtus
Herr Sixtus Goetz
Houscarl to Master Mael Marden, OL

For seven seconds each day my brain cells align and provide me with a focus and certainty of knowledge that borders on prophetic wisdom.
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

Thanks so much for the link. For some reason, I cannot seem to download the whole thing (a couple pf people have emailed it to me as well). I get all 116 pages, but only pages 1,3, and 116 actually have something on them. Ah well, I think with the pics that have been provided, I can re work my pattern to make it look similar. The attachment points are another matter, but I will keep looking around to see what I can find.

Thanks again,
Cat
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Gamboised + plug in your French = gamm-bwaahzzd, with the bwaah a little bit throaty, broad A like father rather than short A like cat. Both syllables having the same stress is seriously Frenchy, but you know what the English ear, that searches for stressed syllables, does to French words.

But I'm happy with things as long as people know that the refrain of Lady Marmalade is the most execrably awful, ungrammatical and peculiar French ever visited upon an unsuspecting world, and that correct French would still have scanned pretty well.

Who was Lady Marmalade bedding that she would address with the formal "vous"?! The King of France?

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again."

--Alexander Pope

Largely sobered, I eschew that wretched song, written by somebody with two semesters of French, and those long ago.
Last edited by Konstantin the Red on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Klaus the Red
Archive Member

Post by Klaus the Red »

Tim, fabulous detail pics there. I've been slowly making a set of gamboised cuisses with splinted leather on top, inspired by another armorer's sketch but with no solid documentation- until now. Do you have any more context info for these pics, or know what book they are from?

Klaus
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Klaus, I'll scare up the info for you. They are from an obscure 1970'a era Arms and Armor Annual; an article on an Italian Knight from the 1340's (?). Feel free to bug me if I forget...

:)

Cheers,
Tim
Klaus the Red
Archive Member

Post by Klaus the Red »

Danke. For purposes of the ongoing project, I am satisfied enough that these are taken from a period source, but it's always nice to be able to fully document things
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

The article that presented these images is

Colaccio Beccadelli: an Emilian Knight of about 1340
by Lionello Giorgio Boccia and Eduardo T Coelho.

It is part of a collection of articles that comprise the following publication

Arms And Armor Annual/Volume One:
Thirty Outstanding Articles on Weaponry
by Leading Arms and Armor Historians of the World

edited by Robert Held
(c) 1973 by Digest Books, Northfield Illinois
ISBN 0-695-80407-3 (paperback)/0-695-80435-9 (clothbound)

Which I am fortunate enough to have a copy of...
8) 8) 8)

+++++++++

The first illustration (with the rowel spur) is from Colaccio Beccadelli's funerary stone which is located in the church of Saints Nicholas and Domenic in Imola, a little town in central Italy. The monument was carved by Bettino da Bologna. Beccadelli died in 1341.

The other illustration is from Mars on Giotto's Campanile (part of the Duomo to Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence, Italy.

And this third one is from The Crucifixion by Vitale de Balogna, c. 1350-1355. Not a gamboised cuiise per se, but a cool inside view of another leg harness from the period.

Cheers,
Tim
Last edited by T. Finkas on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dislexic Agnostic doubted the existence of Dog.
Klaus the Red
Archive Member

Post by Klaus the Red »

That's actually a link to one of the pictures you already posted.
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Indeed! Sorry, I fixed the link.
Klaus the Red
Archive Member

Post by Klaus the Red »

That's neat. The cross-strap arrangement on all of these knee cops is very interesting. The book, by the way, appears to be easy to get- I searched by the ISBN on addall.com and found more than a dozen copies on sale by various bookstores, some as low as $7. I'm so there. :)

Klaus
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

No kidding about availability; I saw a copy of that Annual for sale at our city library just the other day. I already had my copy, so I let it be, figuring another person would need it more than I. Much of the Annual is on the subject of various fine firearms, and most of that is fine firearms of post-period date. Does not this Annual have an article on early airguns entitled "Napoleon Was Not Afraid of It"? (Primarily because of its modest hitting power for its bore, and its slow rate of fire, what with the necessary pumping beforehand.)
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Klaus the Red
Archive Member

Post by Klaus the Red »

Well, I managed to order my copy for about 10.50 including postage, which to me is worth it for just the one pertinent article. No subsequent volumes in this series appear to have been published.
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

I'd say the article is worth 10 bucks and change. Congrats on finding it!
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Agreed; congrats.