Interesting tourney idea

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Rainald
Archive Member

Interesting tourney idea

Post by Rainald »

I found this while surfing. Seems like it would be kind of fun to try out:

[img]http://www.brotherguido.com/bwoods/taverns/1.jpg[/img]
James_de_Lyon

Post by James_de_Lyon »

The good ol "wheel of doom" or "Wheel od misfortune" style tourney. They can be fun and can also be very aggravating if the weapon styles you get against an opponent with a much better one than yours. I did one this spring at Maye Tourney at the Barony of Thor's Mtn and ended up with pole against sword and shield twice and dagger and buckler vs great sword once. I like those lists because I like odd weapons.... most folks don't.

James de Lyon
Adriano
Archive Member

Post by Adriano »

In the Tuchux charity tournament at Pennsic, we drew cards for weapons. Having a dagger against a great-axe sucks, and I got a badly sprained thumb.
Vinnie
Archive Member

Post by Vinnie »

Some time ask a Westy about a "Shasta Melee"

Ya have to have been in one to truly know odd weapons matches.

------------------
Vinnie
Dino in Reno
Christian de Westborn
Archive Member

Post by Christian de Westborn »

"Wheel of Fatality, turn, turn, turn...."
This looks like a cool twist for tourney fighting.

------------------
Long live the Prince and Princess of Cynagua!
Shamey
Archive Member

Post by Shamey »

I think a tourney like that would be much fun.

------------------
Leah of Newcastle
Man-at-Arms to Syr Malcolm MacEoghainn

[This message has been edited by Shameless (edited 09-06-2001).]
Lubeck
Archive Member

Post by Lubeck »

It's funny that you mention this. I found a cool adaptation on this a few years ago at the competition for prince and princess of Northshield. You had to fight at least three styles of your choice at the tourney. It made for some fun stuff I thought, but it isn't like what you'd see at a big baronial competition like Cleveland, Detroit, or Columbus. They have a little more diversified moves in their given styles I thought. Just an observation though. Lubeck
Morgan Mac Phearson
Archive Member

Post by Morgan Mac Phearson »

In the West, in the Palentine Barony of Allyshia, there is a tourney every Feburary to determine the next Baron. It is a three part tourney, 1) Map of the west or the known world 2) Chronicle of the last barons rule 3) And finally a drawn weapons tourney. We have alot of drawn weapon practices, and I love shasta melees!

All weapons are in the middle of the field, no one is armed, lay on is called.....
then everyone runs into the center of the field, grabs a weapon fast, then fights for their life...
That is alot of fun, need good hand protection though.

Morgan.
sarnac
Archive Member

Post by sarnac »

I ran a tourney that had three lists.
Each list was a specific weapons style

#1 was weapon and shield
#2 was two weapon
#3 was great weapon

we ran a bearpit list for one and a half hours, keeping score of one point for simply fighting and one point for a win. At the end of the hour you take the top 4 from each weapons form list and then the next top 4 overall and then run a sweet 16 single elim.

The only catch is that you can only fight the weapons style of the list you came from.

real neat tourney, great combonations.
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

BTW guys

I believe the guy in the kinda wine colored burgundy tunic and Nasal helm is the AA's own Jean Louis squier to Sir Elazar.
Alexander
Archive Member

Post by Alexander »

Servus!

I'm sorry, but I have to simply scream. Here in D'wald, I cannot remember the last double-elim tourney that didn't have some sort of office attached to it. Most of our tourneys are the like where the winner is not the person who demonstrated the greatest prowess or skill but are chosen by the ladies, children, Baron, wandering dog, cast lots, coin toss, spin the bottle, etc. It may be a period way to choose a winner, but fighting in tournament has been reduced to a popularity contest. You don't need to swing particularly well but be able to simper and play the crowd so they remember who you were hours later when the "winner" is chosen.

We are chock-full of "themed" tournaments and people are actually complaining that tournaments need some "pep"!!!

Themes like the "wheel of doom" and "Swiss Five" are cool once in awhile, but don't forget about the "old traditions".

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I'll go back to my corner now...

Pax Vobiscum

Alexander

[This message has been edited by Alexander (edited 09-09-2001).]
Jean Louis

Post by Jean Louis »

Wow! That is me standing on the right of the wheel. Yes that was a fun tourney because of the variety of weapon styles. The fact that there was some "helping" of the wheel made it interesting too.

Jean Louis