Historical tooled leatherwork CONTEST SUBMISSION THREAD

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Cat
Archive Member

Historical tooled leatherwork CONTEST SUBMISSION THREAD

Post by Cat »

This is the official submission thread for the historical tooled leatherwork contest. Please read the rules before submitting an entry.

PRIZE: $20 Tandy Leather gift card

RULES:

-One entry per person please.

-I'm looking for historical accuracy here. The piece must be something that is widely accepted as having been made from, or covered in, leather during the period. I am not looking for leather replicas of items that were made from steel, cloth, etc.

-The item must be an item that would have been decorated with tooling, and your item must also be decorated with tooling. Your tooling must be done in a style appropriate to the piece you are recreating. Look at period examples to determine what would be appropriate. Note: An exact copy of an original is not necessary. You may use your own designs, as long as it is done in a similar fashion to the originals.

-Your item must be constructed to look as close to the original example as you can manage. Since this is a leatherworking contest, you will be given leeway in the construction of any wood support structures, and in the construction of any metalwork that may be needed.

-Use of "period" materials and construction methods is encouraged, however the use of modern power tools in constructing any wood support structures or metalwork is perfectly acceptable. Metalwork may be left off, as long as you point out the piece would have had it.

-You must include at least one pic of an extant example, or a viable example from a period art source such as a painting. If you are going to use art as your source, the piece must be clearly visible in the art.

-Any supporting documentation you can supply for your methods or choice of design will certainly help.

-No more than 5 pics total, including your period source. You must use the "Add Attachment" function so that we don't end up with huge pics that send the whole thread off the side of the screen.

Contest runs from today until May 8th. On may 9th, I will create a thread in the Off Topics forum with a poll feature. Voters will be instructed to judge the entries based on the rules, and how close they feel the piece comes to the style of the original. The winner will be determined via the poll. The poll will be open for 5 days. After the close of voting, I will contact the winner via PM or email, get shipping information and send out the prize.

EDIT: Forgot to add - In case of a tie, someone who does not have an entry in the contest will be asked to determine the winner. More than likely, it will be me, but I can tell you I will do everything in my power to sucker someone else into making that decision. I mean, I will do everything in my power to give someone else that honour. Yeah, that's it, give them the honour...lol

If you have any questions concerning the rules, please ask them here. If you wish to get leatherworking tips, please don't use this thread. You can go here: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... 30#1634930, or create a new thread asking your questions.

Good luck!
Cat
Catherine's Quest is no longer in business. I may open back up at some point in the future. Thank you all for all of your support over these last few years. It has meant the world to me.
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

Suggestions for items that would be perfect for this are (but are not limited to):

Penners
Needle cases
Waxed tablet cases
Document cases
Goblet cases
Leather covered coffers
Knife sheaths (as long as they have tooling)

Some period examples can be found here: http://www.larsdatter.com/
Catherine's Quest is no longer in business. I may open back up at some point in the future. Thank you all for all of your support over these last few years. It has meant the world to me.
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

Cat; may I contribute toward the prize as I feel this is a worthy endeavor?

Thomas
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

Absolutely! If you'd like to sweeten the pot, feel free to add any prize you like. I'm hoping this gets get alot of participation, as I think it will be good for the craft. I've seen SO many improvements in just about everything since I first joined here, and now it's time for historical tooled leatherwork to take off. I can't wait to see what people come up with!

Thanks so much!
Cat
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

bump
knitebee
Archive Member

Post by knitebee »

[img]http://members.armourarchive.org/knitebee/scabard1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://members.armourarchive.org/knitebee/scabard2.JPG[/img]

Not based of any particular original. Two layers thick, machine sewn (ya I cheated), formed wet and baked to harden.
Brian
(aka Master Brizio de Maroni Corizzaio)

http://www.brianbrownarmoury.com

Re Vera, Cara Mea, Mea Nil Refert
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

We have an entry!! Looks good! Ya gotta include a pic of an extant example though. Only one is required, but you can add more if you like. Up to 5 pics total, including your historical example.

Good job!
Cat
de-montbard

Contest entry

Post by de-montbard »

Hello,

Here is my entry for the competition, a late 14th century - early 15th century Dutch two-looped girdle purse.

It is based on elements found in severval extant peices found in Dordrecht in the Netherlands along with elements found in other extant items of the same time period. Most of the information comes from Purses in Peices by Goubitz but I also used other sourses such as the Museum of London Dress Accessories, Before the Mast, the Mary Rose and Leather and leatherworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York to flush out and elaborate on the basic purse stucture.

All the project was hand done by me, including the needles used, the buckle, the wax tablet and stylus for the inner pouch and the stamp used to create the front outer border. The item was painted with period pigments with parchemnt size as a binding agent then waterproofed with beeswax and olive oil.

I have found mention of painted and dyed extant leather purses but unfortunatly they are found in poor condition and only show traces of the paint that once was. There is however many extant leather wall hangings and leather covered boxes showing large amounts of paint over decorative tooling.

From my research I have found many examples of painted leather objects, on all sorts of everyday items from shoes to scabbards and belts. I feel that we tend to under colour many of the medival objects we try to recreate.

I have attached the inspiration for the birds, a painted 14th century Italian box, a photo of the front tooled only, then a photo of the finished painted front and a photo of the inside of my pouch (there is another plain pouch in front of the fancier that I did not include). At least I hope I have the attachements correct.

If anyone would like more information on the research or the process please feel free to contact me. I am also still looking for and finding more information and will greatfully axcept any information on the subject.

The whole thing started with a friend giving me a piece of leather, who knew?

Constance
Attachments
tooled front.JPG
tooled front.JPG (39.39 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Purse front 2.JPG
Purse front 2.JPG (34.65 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Inner pouchlets JPG..JPG
Inner pouchlets JPG..JPG (15.26 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
de-montbard

attachment to previous post

Post by de-montbard »

Hi,

Here is another try for the Italian leather box attachment. Could not get it through on the previous post, I also added the inspiration for the front design. Sorry about that, it is all rather new to me.

Constance
Attachments
engraved bird purse.jpg
engraved bird purse.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Ilatian Box 2.jpg
Ilatian Box 2.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
Eamonn MacCampbell
Archive Member

Post by Eamonn MacCampbell »

Now for a good question...How long we got Cat???

Been busier than two pecke...Well you get the idea, lately and havn't started anything..BUT...I have the leather and the pictures from an original source of something that I want to do...It will just take a week or so depending on how much more crap can be issued into my life at the moment... :lol:
Atheism...A non-prophet group....
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Let's see... If you do some light reading in the first post you'll find this:
Contest runs from today until May 8th. On may 9th, I will create a thread in the Off Topics forum with a poll feature.
-Gregory
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

de-montbard

Love that purse! Nice detail on the sewn on strap too; I have been thinking of doing one of those myself; I was going to use the crown shape like in the book.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Eamonn MacCampbell
Archive Member

Post by Eamonn MacCampbell »

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:Let's see... If you do some light reading in the first post you'll find this:
Contest runs from today until May 8th. On may 9th, I will create a thread in the Off Topics forum with a poll feature.
-Gregory
Thanks Gregory...I guess I must have got so enthralled with the work already shown I forgot that ... :oops:

Yeah...I got readin skillz..... :lol:
Atheism...A non-prophet group....
AEiric Orvender
Archive Member

Post by AEiric Orvender »

Ok here's my entry.

one of my 'hide the modern stuff' line of projects.
I know we can just not get rid of cell-phones water bottles etc.. so at least hide them.

Here we have a 15th Century Wax tablet case, modeled after the ones discovered in the Dordrecht finds. My example comes from 'Purses in Pieces' by Olaf Goubitz, along with examples found in the Museum Boijmans. Some examples of painted leather have been found, but the paint is often degraded, for this project I've chosen to color the tooling design with milk paint.

The tablet is water hardened in direct sunlight, the tools utilized in the construction of the case was a bone folder, a crescent knife, a pen knife, a awl, waxed linen thread and steel needle. The form was cut to shape with a hand jig-saw. The tool used in the tooling of this case were: a penknife, a rawhide hammer, a rounded nail, a smooth bevel, and a background shading tool. The painted on decoration is home mixed milk paint.

This case is sized to fit an iPhone making it fit within the same scale as some of the extant examples in 'Purses in Pieces'.

Front of case done in a 'floral' design

Back of case done in a 'geometric' design

Front of case open

Back of case open

Pages from 'Purses in Pieces' by Olaf Goubitz showing extant examples.
Squire to Sir Diglach mac Cein

"Eliminating Generi-celts from the Midrealm, one at a time. By Education or Force." -Sir Diglach mac Cein

"I'm not trying to be a hero! I'm fighting the dragon!" -Sir William the Knight
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Wow another nice entry.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Willy_Trambone
Archive Member

Post by Willy_Trambone »

Hello everybody!
I'm newbie in tooling leather. You can't find any of tools or proper leather where I live. Whan I finally got a piece of proper leather I made this case.
For tooling I used only spoon modeling tool and ballpoint without ink. It took me 6 hours to make this ornament and I think result is nice for such poor tools.
Original is published in Purses in Pieces.

Thanks for your attention,

Willy.
Last edited by Willy_Trambone on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Willy, please edit your post, tap the return key between each photo link, that way you don't have 2 large pics next to each other shoving the right hand margin into the next time zone
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Jantien van Vranckenvoert
Archive Member

Post by Jantien van Vranckenvoert »

The Archer’s bracer that I have recreated, is a direct recreation of a specific extant archer’s bracer that is housed in the British Museum. The original bracer is made of cuir boulli (boiled leather). Tooled into the leather are a “crownedâ€
Attachments
bmbracer13.jpg
bmbracer13.jpg (36.25 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
archersbracer2.jpg
archersbracer2.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
Dame Jantien van Vranckenvoert OL, Kingdom of the Outlands
Jantien van Vranckenvoert
Archive Member

Post by Jantien van Vranckenvoert »

Additional photos:
Attachments
bracer3.jpg
bracer3.jpg (32.3 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
bracer2.jpg
bracer2.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
bracer1.jpg
bracer1.jpg (35 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Dame Jantien van Vranckenvoert OL, Kingdom of the Outlands
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

Crap, I completely forgot about this contest! Thankfully I remembered before it was already supposed to be over.

Anyway, if I don't officially "close" this thread and start the poll by May 9th, can someone please PM me to remind me? I've got a lot going on and am bound to forget again.

Help a memory challenged lady out. :)
Cat
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

Cat can you send me an address I should send the $10 I was going to contribute to sweeten the prize?

Thomas Powers
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

Contest ends MAY 8TH! Only a few more days to get your entries in!!
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

Last day for entries. A second place prize - a $10 GC to Tandy's - will be added thanks to the generosity of Thomas Powers!
Tomorrow, I will officially "close" this thread, and entries submitted after the closing will not be included in the competition.

So, get your entries in today!! :)
Cat
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

The contest is officially closed. Any entries submitted after this will not be included in the judging.
Thanks for participating! I will get the poll made as soon as I can.

Cat
Cat
Archive Member

Post by Cat »

Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.