Good Greave!

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
DoomedTrueBeliever

Good Greave!

Post by DoomedTrueBeliever »

So, I am working on My Dr. Doom costume for the 2010 New York Comic con this October and I am looking for a good Greaves Pattern. I need it to be 2 pieces and I do not have access to welding equipment so it has to work on hinges. I will also be wearing these over Sabatons. If anyone has a good pattern or some suggestions (or both) I would like to hear about it!

Thanks

Andrew
Aussie Yeoman
Archive Member

Post by Aussie Yeoman »

If you can't raise or weld, then I'm very sorry to have to inform you that you won't ever be able to make good steel greaves.

Have you considered leather?

Dave
D. Sebastian
Archive Member

Post by D. Sebastian »

Since it's fantasy, you *could* do the front as 2 pieces with a center band that they attach to.
SCA Demo .com
Like it? Link it!

Mattyds .com
(my site)
Josh W
Archive Member

Post by Josh W »

Use this pattern:

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/greave_cad/

Instead of welding the pieces down the center, make them a bit wider at the point they are supposed to meet and overlap them, making sure that they fit over one another closely, then rivet them together with unobtrusive rivets. It works. You'll want to use a fairly light steel, like 20 gauge.
"When a land rejects her legends, Sees but falsehoods in the past;
And its people view their Sires in the light of fools and liars,
'Tis a sign of its decline and its glories cannot last."
Louis de Leon
Thinking of toast

Post by Louis de Leon »

Hah! I have a friend who is trying to get me to make a Dr. Doom helmet for pretty much the same reasons. :)
Marco-borromei wrote:Stay away from Akron, unless you're cruelly interested in experimenting on your children. Will they survive the schools? The drugs? The boredom? Will desperation motivate them to leave or to go native?
DoomedTrueBeliever

Aussie Yeoman wrote:If you can't raise or weld, then I'm very sorry to have to inform you that you won't ever be able to make good steel greaves.

Have you considered leather?

Dave
I do have a sinking stump and teardrop mallets, the dishing is not the problem, its the welding. Thank you Josh W for the pattern and suggestion. I looked at this pattern before but i dont like how the crease is down the middle of the leg. I think what im going to do is adapt this pattern so that the crease is on the sides and then attach them with rivets like you suggested.
Louis de Leon wrote:Hah! I have a friend who is trying to get me to make a Dr. Doom helmet for pretty much the same reasons.
Thats awesome! Let me know how it comes out! I thought about doing a helmet, but i went with a mask instead to save time.
DoomedTrueBeliever

i ended up just caving and buying the Chartres Greaves pattern fromTalbots
The pattern is perfect, it was well worth it!
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Hi

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Hi, I just found a set of cased greaves for 125 at therionarms.com the other day that looked nice. Ive never seen them that cheap, it takes me 4-5 days to make a set of cased greaves. They are one of the hardest piece of armor to make. If you havent made armor before Id just buy a set from therion and save yourself alot of wasted time. Theres a good chance your greaves wont turn out.

Take care

PB
Hi, Please visit https://www.facebook.com/PITBULL-ARMORY-264094743168/ if you get time. Or contact me at leiderandy@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Take care, Andy @ Pitbull Armory