Whitney Punch

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Jantien van Vranckenvoert
Archive Member

Whitney Punch

Post by Jantien van Vranckenvoert »

Anyone have any experience with the No. 5 jr.?
http://www.trick-tools.com/Hand_punch.htm#review
Dame Jantien van Vranckenvoert OL, Kingdom of the Outlands
Odd
Archive Member

Post by Odd »

Really?
865 posts and you haven't come across this company name, nor the specific tool on here?

Roper Whitney is synonymous with "Buy this frickin tool and never once regret it, ever"
Archive Member

Dayum, I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with that particular model....there are so many. I couldn't find a reference to what gauges this would work for.
Last edited by Jantien van Vranckenvoert on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odd
Archive Member

Post by Odd »

On Roper Whitney's site, they have a tonnage chart. You can compare it to charts on other metals.

Something like 3/16ths in 14g mild is equal to 1/8th in 18g stainless, is equal to the head of a small dog in 20g aluminum.
schreiber
Archive Member

Post by schreiber »

Odd was a little harsh, but ask any armorer what 10 tools you absolutely have to have for an armor shop, and this is going to make the list.

As far as experience with them, I will say with conviction that they are not very useful by themselves. If you get one, you'll spend about a week with it before tooling swaps start really pissing you off, and then it'll occur to you that if you had another one you wouldn't be doing it that often.

I have three in my punch drawer (one's a Harbor Freight Chinese-knock-off and I really wish it was a 3rd RW) so that when I am doing articulations, I have 1/8" for the side I'm piening, 5/32" for the side the head goes on, and 3/16" if I'm punching a string of holes for a sliding rivet - and I don't have to swap tooling to do any one of those three at any time.

Of course, then it's only a matter of time before you want to get the #7 or #8, because the increased tonnage lets you punch 1/2" holes, which opens up a lot of other possibilities, like custom washers.
Stuff I will trade for: PWM controllers, steel sheet/rod/bar (4130/410/1050/toolsteel), ITC, casting supplies, wood tools, silver, oxpho blue, gun stuff (9luger/357mag/12g/7.62x54R/22LR), hammers, stakes, or pitch me!
losthelm
Archive Member

Post by losthelm »

The 5jr is rated for a 1/4 hole in 16 guage mild steel.
Rated at 1.2 tons of force.
1/8 in .120" or 11 guage mild steel
3/16 in .075" or 14 guage mild steel
and 1/4 in .062" or 16 guage mild steel
http://www.roperwhitney.com/tech/chart1.cfm
stainless and specialty alloys usualy require a bit more force

To be honest I would try to keep the punch size at least 1.5X the metal thickness and watch your materials.
I snapped a punch the other day as the 410 stainless got intermixed with the 308.
Wilhelm Smydle in the SCA

My Ebay Listings
My ETSY
Kindyr
Archive Member

Post by Kindyr »

the #5 is pretty much the standard for hobbyist armoring I think. I own several I picked up used off E-bay for decent prices. I also have a #2 and a #10 which I like. and a Whitney #1 that I got but don't use often simple because it is pretty massive.

Roper Whitney make good products and still have parts available, so you won't regret buying one. and unless it was abused, the used ones are still very useable.
Archive Member

I have one of the HF knock-offs, and it wasn't worth shite.....but believe it or not, Amazon has the Whitney no. 5 jr on their site 80 bucks, but I have 50 dollar gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.....
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Considering that ninety percent of the holes in plate armor are within two inches of some edge of any plate, I'd keep the quote "clean finished holes in seconds per hole are worth the price of admission" in mind. It makes holes faster than even a drill press.

They now run about sixty-seventy bucks new, through the discount tool places, with a set of several diameters of punches and corresponding dies. You won't be sorry. The tool is convenient and simple to use. Replacement punches and dies are cheapish.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Duco de Klonia
Archive Member

Post by Duco de Klonia »

Hi Jantien,

It's a great tool...

I used it (borrowed) a lot of times and I bought one for myself last year.

Can't do without it...

Really super!
"The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there"
(Leslie Poles Hartly from "The Go-Between")

=== Anytime Historical Reproductions ===
miscreant
Archive Member

Post by miscreant »

I'm not an armourer, but do wear armour, and I even have a Whitney punch set. Awesome purchase. Well worth it.
Ich Dien
Darius von Tannenberg

Whitney punch

Post by Darius von Tannenberg »

I got four. My first is still in use. My second was found at a yard sale with just the 1/8th in it, no other bits. My third is a HF knockoff that I lone to shop newbies and my fourth is a brand new still in plastic saving it in case the world ends and i got mine. I also have a #3 with a 1/4 inch bit. I won't try to say anything harsh, but I pity the fool who even thinks about "borrowing" any one of them :wink:
Character, is what you do, when no one is looking.
Louis de Leon
Thinking of toast

Post by Louis de Leon »

I bought a used #5 from losthelm here on the archive for about $50 or so IIRC. Absolutely love the thing. I spent a happy afternoon with it when it first showed up cleaning it and punching dozens of holes in scrap metal. It is awesome. Speeds up your work a ton. And the holes are perfectly clean. No burrs or shavings like a drill makes.
Marco-borromei wrote:Stay away from Akron, unless you're cruelly interested in experimenting on your children. Will they survive the schools? The drugs? The boredom? Will desperation motivate them to leave or to go native?
Milan
Archive Member

Post by Milan »

Made some lamellar out of 20g stainless a while back. Using the #5 was faster than drilling and I never broke a bit.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Who's this guy?
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

Mia just explained to me. Whitney houston's domestically violent husband.

"Whitney Punch"

Damn funny when it was explained to me.

Anyway the punch will do pretty much what you want it to. I wouldn't try 14ga stainless with it. And thicker stuff or stainless you don't want to use any of the bigger size hole punches. 5/32 and under for 14ga mild or 16ga stainless. Thinner then that and you can use any of them. Although if it's just the odd hole here and there and you're not using it to punch thousands of holes I wouldn't worry about it as long as you can get it through the metal.

On the other hand you can get a chinese knock off for $20 from harbour freight or princess auto. If it's for hobby use and you're not doing thousands of holes it'll do just fine.
The budding mid 14th century German Transitional guy.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
iaenmor
Archive Member

Post by iaenmor »

Bobby Brown. He punched Whitney. Real brilliant Maeryk. Add something useful next time would you.
John Moore
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

iaenmor wrote:Bobby Brown. He punched Whitney. Real brilliant Maeryk. Add something useful next time would you.
Kay.. "Go fuck yourself"

hows that?

Get a sense of humor, asshole.

I see you've added loads of information to this thread..
Agnarr
Archive Member

Post by Agnarr »

I've said it once, and i'll say it again, Maeryk is the Paul Lynde of the Archive....
Damon wrote:In their own little world they are like this huge evil overlord however in the grand scheme of things they are just this sad little hamster going squeek squeek squeek in their own little ball.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

Liar. You've said it at least twice. :P

And it WAS funny. :lol:

I've got a Bobby Brown #8, and several Bobby Brown 5Jrs. ;)
mrks
Archive Member

Post by mrks »

too funny!
my wife and I both cracked up.
I have three #7(1/2)s and a # 16.

the 7s wont punch .071 Ti so dont try it...

they explode into little pieces ;)
sirmrks
mostly retired but still producing as a hobby.
am tired of making Titanium and 301 SS finger gauntlets
but still offer DIY shaped 301SS fingertip kits for $60 shipped.
usually can ship next day.
Agnarr
Archive Member

Post by Agnarr »

Baron Alcyoneus wrote:Liar. You've said it at least twice. :P

And it WAS funny. :lol:

I've got a Bobby Brown #8, and several Bobby Brown 5Jrs. ;)
Yeah, but this is the first for COMEDY. :twisted:
Damon wrote:In their own little world they are like this huge evil overlord however in the grand scheme of things they are just this sad little hamster going squeek squeek squeek in their own little ball.
Odd
Archive Member

Post by Odd »

I apologize if I came off as harsh, I truly didn't mean to, and did not realize I had.