Yet another Battle of Nations thread.

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Ron Broberg
Archive Member

Yet another Battle of Nations thread.

Post by Ron Broberg »

Last edited by Ron Broberg on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J.G.Elmslie
Archive Member

Post by J.G.Elmslie »

as its not an SCA event, or even remotely close to it, surely the answer to the question "how many rules/conventions broken?" is "none".

shame that there never seemed to be any of the planned announcements which were due from the guys in the schola st george WMA group who were wanting to arrange the team... seems their website has died since then too.

I would've loved to be producing the weapons for it, but I fear with it now being october, it's starting to get too late to have batches of weapons delivered before their april event date, and have the participants have enough time to be familliar with the weapons of choice. :/
Previously known as Suzerain.

http://www.elmslie.co.uk
The Lost Celt
Archive Member

Post by The Lost Celt »

All I gotta say is I have a newfound respect for poleaxes...

having a 2inch bill directed at your helm is a bit freaky.

I *am* interested in eventually going into live steel...

But yeah they're kinda upping the bar eh?
Thorstenn
Archive Member

Post by Thorstenn »

It can't be real, I didnt see any shields explode when struck.... :twisted:

Thor.
Duke Thorstenn the WrongHand
Trimaris.

"A fully equipped duke costs as much to keep up as two Dreadnoughts, and dukes are just as great a terror -- and they last longer."
David Lloyd George

"Amat victoria curam."
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

I am going
Attachments
14 c.jpg
14 c.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
I am the SCA's middle finger.
www.clovenshield.org
The Lost Celt
Archive Member

Post by The Lost Celt »

So I gotta ask, where does the safety aspect come into mind? I mean seriously, those poleaxes were a bit freaky, and when it comes to SCA vs Tuchux conventions I'd be more along the lines of the tuchux but that's my choice.

the rebated steel I've seen in my area pull their shots, I'd take sca over them as far as speed of combat goes.

But when it all comes down to the wire we're all a bit nuts, what's you're acceptable level?
Ron Broberg
Archive Member

Post by Ron Broberg »

Nissan Maxima wrote:I am going
Spring 2011?
Pole, shield, or both?

Is Brandr still acting as lead organizer?
The StG Schola forums seem to be unavailable to the public.
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Ron Broberg wrote:
Spring 2011?
Pole, shield, or both?

Is Brandr still acting as lead organizer?
The StG Schola forums seem to be unavailable to the public.
Spring 2011
I haven't heard from Brandr in a while. Doesn't matter, I am still going. This thing has grabbed my attention. I have a training partner who is getting out of prison soon and I will be working out for this weekly with him. I have been doing pell work daily with steel.

I plan to fight either sword and shield or sword and axe in singles and poleaxe if we field a team.
www.clovenshield.org
Ron Broberg
Archive Member

Post by Ron Broberg »

Nissan Maxima wrote:I have a training partner who is getting out of prison soon and I will be working out for this weekly with him.
As Rory said in Blade Runner: <em>That's the spirit!</em>

Got to say ... Maxim's shovel bascinet caught my eye today.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... ?p=1809866

But then so did a whole bunch of late-16th C stuff elsewhere.
I haven't fought in 2 years ... but maybe the blood is beginning to move again ...

(To be very clear - I am making absolutely no commitments or suggestions at this time that I am attending ... )
Last edited by Ron Broberg on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D. Sebastian
Archive Member

Post by D. Sebastian »

I'm still wondering why their gear still looks really good after all that.
SCA Demo .com
Like it? Link it!

Mattyds .com
(my site)
owen matthew
Archive Member

Post by owen matthew »

Beautiful kit. Great job. I really like the offset from the blackened gaunnts and sabatons.

I wish I could fight in BoN, but funds will be an issue for several years.
J.G.Elmslie
Archive Member

Post by J.G.Elmslie »

D. Sebastian wrote:I'm still wondering why their gear still looks really good after all that.
bizarre as it sounds, from everything I've seen (but, I hasten to add, this is pulled straight from my arse with nothing to really back it up in way of evidence), the SCA style rattan fighting seems to emphasise smacking a *lot* more force into the other person than most rebated steel fights use.

William de Faleston
Archive Member

Post by William de Faleston »

Suzerain wrote:
D. Sebastian wrote:I'm still wondering why their gear still looks really good after all that.
bizarre as it sounds, from everything I've seen (but, I hasten to add, this is pulled straight from my arse with nothing to really back it up in way of evidence), the SCA style rattan fighting seems to emphasise smacking a *lot* more force into the other person than most rebated steel fights use.
Going just on the Battle of Nations video posted above, I have to agree. With a few exceptions, every really stout blow I saw landed was a polearm or mass weapon. These guys don't seem to use a lot of power generation technique. I'm a lightweight myself when it comes to hitting, but I know it when I see it, and I wasn't seeing it.

My bet. Nissan's gonna eat em for breakfast.
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

I want to go. It's the coming up with the funds, and finding someone to take care of an entire farm for a week that is proving hard.

Heck, I want to, and have been doing it here in the US. It is one of the small reasons I have been scarce at SCA stuff since Pennsic is because there is a really local historical study group that was willing to meet at my farm instead of where we were. It's pretty freeing to only have a couple of rules to follow and the freedom to just go at it.
Lion of Irnham - Martial undertaking should never be a lowest common denominator endeavor.
J.G.Elmslie
Archive Member

Post by J.G.Elmslie »

William de Faleston wrote: These guys don't seem to use a lot of power generation technique. I'm a lightweight myself when it comes to hitting, but I know it when I see it, and I wasn't seeing it.
its one of the weird things with the SCA, looking at it from the outside in...

it seems to have developed a culture, from what I've seen, of using very thick, heavier armour than european reenactors, so as a result, there's a culture of hitting much harder to get the shots recognised through the armour - of course, that's meant armour is made thicker... so hits have been made harder, and so on, in a vicious cycle.

most of the european reenactors dont do the whole power generation, because if you did in a reenactment event, the instant reaction would be "what the fuck are you trying to do, you idiot?", and you'd be kicked off the field, while in a WMA context, the reaction would be "you dont need to throw that hard, pulling the shot to land dead on the target without massive impact is enough".

its an interesting contrast between the cultures and the approach to combat.

but again, I'm not an SCA member, so that's just from what I've seen, viewed, read, etc, and so I'm potentially talking gobshite.

Roland Brokentooth
Archive Member

Post by Roland Brokentooth »

Where can I find the rules for this?
Squire to Sir Kieran Hunter
Hellhound
Peikko
Archive Member
Location: Formerly the sunny bit of England...Now returned to Malagentia, EK.

Post by Peikko »

Raulin Arbor wrote:Where can I find the rules for this?
Try here: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =yfp-t-887
"trust me, I'm an archaeologist..."
The Iron Door Collective
http://www.swordfightexeter.org/
Greenshield
Archive Member

Post by Greenshield »

Suzerain wrote:as its not an SCA event, or even remotely close to it, surely the answer to the question "how many rules/conventions broken?" is "none".
Actually, after reading over the rules Brandr sent to me and re-watching the video(s) they break just about every rule they have in place. Usually within the first 3 seconds of combat.

I was signed up to go but haven't heard a peep about the event since prior to Pennsic. There was supposed to be a gathering @ Pennsic to get the group moving forward but I have not heard a thing about it. I'm guessing it was not a successful meeting.

GreenShield
J.G.Elmslie
Archive Member

Post by J.G.Elmslie »

Greenshield wrote:
Suzerain wrote:as its not an SCA event, or even remotely close to it, surely the answer to the question "how many rules/conventions broken?" is "none".
Actually, after reading over the rules Brandr sent to me and re-watching the video(s) they break just about every rule they have in place. Usually within the first 3 seconds of combat.

I was signed up to go but haven't heard a peep about the event since prior to Pennsic. There was supposed to be a gathering @ Pennsic to get the group moving forward but I have not heard a thing about it. I'm guessing it was not a successful meeting.

GreenShield

but it remains, its not an SCA event, so it cant be breaking SCA rules.

any more than an F1 car is breaking nascar rules. (though I'd like to see the f1 car enter the daytona 500 - how many laps would it last before it got squeezed/rubbed/otherwise nailed?).

now if the thread (which has had its title changed) had been "how many SCA rules would this break, if we fought like this?" then it'd have been a very different answer. :)

(and my answer would've been "I dont care, if you look and fight like that, I'm joining the SCA now!" :) )

that aside, it is a real shame that the meeting at pennsic did'nt get off the ground, as I said in the old thread, I would have loved to be producing the weapons for the team for the event, and would've been honoured to offer my skills to do a bespoke batch.

Ah well. another year, maybe. If people get organised, keep me in mind, my stuff was in the other thread to see.

Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

Greenshield wrote:

GreenShield
Bummer we live so far apart. We've got about 8 guys in this area who are playing by these rules with SCA weapons.
Lion of Irnham - Martial undertaking should never be a lowest common denominator endeavor.
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Greenshield wrote:

GreenShield
I am going and would love the company.
www.clovenshield.org
mrks
Archive Member

Post by mrks »

nissan I can see you getting in trouble if you are going sca speed with sca power.

they seem to play by different rules.
I have been asked if I was interested but the wife is not so much.
her first war saw me go down with a severed ACL.
still it sounds very interesting.
sirmrks
mostly retired but still producing as a hobby.
am tired of making Titanium and 301 SS finger gauntlets
but still offer DIY shaped 301SS fingertip kits for $60 shipped.
usually can ship next day.
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Don't worry. I never hit anyone any harder than I can.
www.clovenshield.org
Thorstenn
Archive Member

Post by Thorstenn »

I'm pretty sure he meant breaking their own rules, not SCA.

I would love to see those rules.

Thor.

Suzerain wrote:
Greenshield wrote:

GreenShield

but it remains, its not an SCA event, so it cant be breaking SCA rules.

any more than an F1 car is breaking nascar rules. (though I'd like to see the f1 car enter the daytona 500 - how many laps would it last before it got squeezed/rubbed/otherwise nailed?).

now if the thread (which has had its title changed) had been "how many SCA rules would this break, if we fought like this?" then it'd have been a very different answer. :)

(and my answer would've been "I dont care, if you look and fight like that, I'm joining the SCA now!" :) )

that aside, it is a real shame that the meeting at pennsic did'nt get off the ground, as I said in the old thread, I would have loved to be producing the weapons for the team for the event, and would've been honoured to offer my skills to do a bespoke batch.

Ah well. another year, maybe. If people get organised, keep me in mind, my stuff was in the other thread to see.
Duke Thorstenn the WrongHand
Trimaris.

"A fully equipped duke costs as much to keep up as two Dreadnoughts, and dukes are just as great a terror -- and they last longer."
David Lloyd George

"Amat victoria curam."
Peikko
Archive Member
Location: Formerly the sunny bit of England...Now returned to Malagentia, EK.

Post by Peikko »

Thorstenn wrote:I'm pretty sure he meant breaking their own rules, not SCA.

I would love to see those rules.

Thor.
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =yfp-t-887
"trust me, I'm an archaeologist..."
The Iron Door Collective
http://www.swordfightexeter.org/
Greenshield
Archive Member

Post by Greenshield »

Suzerain wrote:
Greenshield wrote:
You should re-read my post. If it was unclear, I apologize. I am well aware it is not an SCA event and the rules Brandr sent me were the translated rules sent by the Battle of Nations people. The rules I speak of being broken in the videos I have seen are the BoN rules.

G
mrks
Archive Member

Post by mrks »

hmmm
I wondered how they kept the combatants from accidently striking someone in the unarmoured spots.

evidently this is a very serious foul. one such than when it happens and there is an injury that particular command forfeits the rest of the tournament?:

" Here it is also all more, or is less understandable.
In 10th battle 1 of the soldiers of the composite “Of [polsha]3â€
sirmrks
J.G.Elmslie
Archive Member

Post by J.G.Elmslie »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:The original title to this thread was something like "How many SCA conventions are being broken here?" It has since been edited. That's what Suzerain's initial response was aimed at.

-Gerhard

thanks for that gerhard. I was rather wondering if I was going completely senile...

mrks
Archive Member

Post by mrks »

rules moved to different thread
Last edited by mrks on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirmrks
Theoderic
Archive Member

Post by Theoderic »

I'd practise loads of Judo to compete and maybe some Greco.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Suzerain wrote:thanks for that gerhard. I was rather wondering if I was going completely senile...
No problem. I actually deleted the post because I figured you weren't senile, so you could probably defend yourself in that regard. But I'm glad to be of service! :p

-Gerhard