Medieval Warfare Magazine Announced

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

thaddeusmoore
Archive Member

Medieval Warfare Magazine Announced

Post by thaddeusmoore »

I read this on the michtoy.com blog. Ancient Warfare is a very solid periodical with great articles and excellent illustrations. I am excited to hear about the Medieval Warefare flavor coming this spring.

http://www.medieval-warfare.com/landingpage/

Medieval Warfare Magazine is a unique publication focused exclusively on soldiers, battles and tactics between AD 500 – 1500.

The chronological successor to the popular Ancient Warfare magazine, each issue of Medieval Warfare is centered around a historic theme: from camp life during the Hundred Years War to the campaigns of Charlemagne, the new magazine takes an in-depth look at every aspect of Medieval military history.

Every copy of the magazine is illustrated with original, beautiful artwork by a variety of talented artists. Photos are selected from museum collections around the world and include numerous unusual and rarely seen artworks and artifacts.

Articles in Medieval Warfare are written by professionals and passionate amateurs alike. Thoughtful, informative, and original, writing in Medieval Warfare is always accessible while still providing readers with the latest ideas and scholarship on each topic. Medieval Warfare is expected to launch in April 2011.

Interested in contributing to Medieval Warfare?

Do you know your Dark Age Vikings? Are you an expert on Swiss Pikemen or Arabic warriors during the Reconquista? Do you write clear and gripping articles? If so, we'd love to talk to you about writing for Medieval Warfare.

We also need as many photographs of castles, arms, armour and equipment from all over Europe, North Africa and the Middle East as we can lay our hands on. If you have ideas for sources or can help with providing photos, please contact us.

We're also looking for ideas and suggestions for magazine themes: After all, the Middle Ages is a big period in history. Let us know what topics youd love to see us write about!
Thadius Marcus Agendus
Orkney Warband XXXIV
Edward MacTavish
Archive Member

Post by Edward MacTavish »

I need to renew the subscription but I have been recieving Ancient Warfare since the beginning and really like it. I will be giving this one a try when it comes out.

Edward
Sir Edward Lindey, Knight of the Drawn Sword. ACL/BotN 2012

Saint Hubert's Rangers

Men of steel, in suits of iron forged legends of valour untarnished by time.

Argent, a boar statant and on a chief gules an arrow Or
J.G.Elmslie
Archive Member

Post by J.G.Elmslie »

wonder if that'll get a UK distributor...
Previously known as Suzerain.

http://www.elmslie.co.uk
thaddeusmoore
Archive Member

Post by thaddeusmoore »

Suzerain wrote:wonder if that'll get a UK distributor...
The publisher is Dutch IIRC. There is European and US distribution for the existing Ancient Warfare magazine.
Thadius Marcus Agendus
Orkney Warband XXXIV
somedudeinutah
Archive Member

Post by somedudeinutah »

Cool. I'm in! Thanks for the info....
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

Sounds awesome. I Can't wait for it to start. :)
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

are they really hiring?

i'm broke as hell and read a couple books
thaddeusmoore
Archive Member

Post by thaddeusmoore »

Murdock wrote:are they really hiring?

i'm broke as hell and read a couple books
They do pay for articles and/or illustrations. I have no idea what the rates are however. Now would be the time to break in it sounds like since Launch isn't till Spring 2011.

If Ancient Warfare magazine is any indication it will be a bi-monthy magazine (6 issues per year) and subscription rates will be roughly(converted to USD from Euros):

3 Issue Trial: $16.00+$3.50 Worldwide Shipping
One Year Subscription: $44.00+$8.00 Worldwide Shipping
Two Year Subscription: $80.00+$16.00 Worldwide Shipping
Thadius Marcus Agendus
Orkney Warband XXXIV
thaddeusmoore
Archive Member

Post by thaddeusmoore »

Editorial plan Medieval Warfare issue I.1

November 20th was the deadline for article proposals in the first issue of Medieval Warfare. As I mentioned in our previous newsletter, this issue will focus on the War of Bouvines, the conflict between King John Lackland of England, the French King Philip Augustus and Emperor Otto IV of the Holy Roman Empire. We received a number of very interesting proposals for this issue, and the choice was a difficult one. However, we managed to make a decision about the contents of this issue.
The editorial plan for Medieval Warfare I.1 is as follows:

Theme: The Early Rise of France - The War of Bouvines

* Introduction to the Theme
* The Source - Martijn Cissen, 'The Phillipid: How to use Medieval poetry as a source'.
* Theme - David Balfour, 'The Battle of Mirebeau'.
* Theme - Arnold Blumburg, 'The Royal English Navy under King John during the War of Bouvines'.
* Theme - Sidney Dean, 'The Battle of Bouvines'.
* The Castle - Dirk van Gorp, 'English fortifications in France: Chateau Gaillard'.

Other Features:

* The Campaign - Peter Konieczny, 'The Mongol Invasion of Hungary'.
* Special - Stephen Pollington, 'The role of horsemen in Anglo-Saxon Warfare'.
* The Weapon - Tobias Capwell, 'Swords in the Wallace Collection London'.
* The art of Weapon handling - John Clements, 'The impact of Medieval sword blows on body armor in close combat'.

Future Themes
Now that the authors are working on the contents of the first issue, we are already thinking about the next issues of Medieval Warfare. We have even decided on the next two themes:

* Medieval Warfare I.2 will focus on Mercenaries in Medieval Europe and the Middle East, from the Dark Ages until the end of the 15th/beginning of the 16th century. Deadline for the proposals is January 20th, 2011.
* The theme of Medieval Warfare I.3 will be the Saracen invasion of Spain and France in the 8th century. This proposal deadline falls on March 20th.

Interested in contributing to one of these issues as an author or by submitting pictures of interesting objects, sites and castles? Just contact the editor.
Thadius Marcus Agendus
Orkney Warband XXXIV
thaddeusmoore
Archive Member

Post by thaddeusmoore »

A small discount for early subscribers is now available. The magazine launches in mid-May 2011. Prices are comparable to the existing Ancient Warfare magazine.

http://shop.karwansaraypublishers.com/m ... rfare.html

Six Month Trial (3 issues) (Free shipping if I remember correctly) = €17.50 = $24.06 USD

One Year Subscription (6 issues): €29.50 + €6.25 S&H = €35.75 = $49.15 USD

Two Year Subscription (12 issues): €69.50 + €12.00 S&H = €81.50 = $112.05 USD
Thadius Marcus Agendus
Orkney Warband XXXIV
nkante
Archive Member

Post by nkante »

I would love to write an article about medieval Sub-Saharan Africa. This area doesn't get much time in the spot light, and something new might interest your readers. The ancient kingdoms of Songhai and Mali have some great battles to recount. And I have been doing illustrations on this topic for years.
Baron Osazuwa n'Kante