Painted helmets- How common were they?

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Romulus
Archive Member

Painted helmets- How common were they?

Post by Romulus »

Greetings.

I am thinking of painting my next helmet rather than going with the snazzy polish job. I have seen a number of painted examples of 'black sallets', which I quite like, but I am thinking of a slightly earlier era, say hundred year war/ crecy. How common were painted helmets in that time frame, and what was painted on them?
Thank you in advance.

R.
Fearghus Macildubh
Archive Member

Post by Fearghus Macildubh »

Funny you should ask that. I just got back from London where I went the Wallace Collection and the curator of arms and armour for the museum, Toby Capwell talked about a painted sallet they have in the collection. According to him, period inventories list painted helmets, but only a handful have survived. Two reasons are that they were often lower quality helmets that collectors did not seek out and the other is Victorian art dealers often polished the paint off to make helmets fit the image customers wanted "in shining armour".
Cheers,
Fearghus
Man-at-arms to Sir Aethelred Cloudbreaker
Romulus
Archive Member

Post by Romulus »

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will give more involved thought then to putting some paint on my new helmet and not feel as though it is completely inaccurate.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

From the Mac Bible (1250ish) through the 16thC.
Cassiano di Pisa
Archive Member

Post by Cassiano di Pisa »

I know that painted or gilded helmets appear to be extremely common in the Norman era, and I have seen several examples of painted kettle hats from your time period and before but I can not think of a single referance for bascinets being painted.
Pro Deus Quode Terra
Halbrust
Archive Member

Post by Halbrust »

I have aspangenhelm that I'll be painting. Painting the "plates" black and shining the cross frame.

Any evidence that this was done in period?
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

You know, I really wish I had a time machine so I could go back in time and kick Bashford Dean and his like-minded buddies up the arse.
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Re: Painted helmets- How common were they?

Post by InsaneIrish »

Romulus wrote:Greetings.

I am thinking of painting my next helmet rather than going with the snazzy polish job. I have seen a number of painted examples of 'black sallets', which I quite like, but I am thinking of a slightly earlier era, say hundred year war/ crecy. How common were painted helmets in that time frame, and what was painted on them?
Thank you in advance.

R.
I think you could get away with a solid color, party colors, geometric motifs, even simple designs. There are even extant examples of "monster" faces painted on helms.

I think too, that the style of helmet plays a role. I've not seen any info that bascinets with visors were painted. But, I can't say they weren't either.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Effingham wrote:You know, I really wish I had a time machine so I could go back in time and kick Bashford Dean and his like-minded buddies up the arse.
What for this time? ;)
les yeich
Archive Member

Post by les yeich »

Cassiano di Pisa wrote:I know that painted or gilded helmets appear to be extremely common in the Norman era, and I have seen several examples of painted kettle hats from your time period and before but I can not think of a single referance for bascinets being painted.
the romance of alexander has plenty of examples. actually painted bascinets aren't especially hard to find in period art.
fghthty545y
Archive Member

Post by fghthty545y »

les yeich wrote:
Cassiano di Pisa wrote:I know that painted or gilded helmets appear to be extremely common in the Norman era, and I have seen several examples of painted kettle hats from your time period and before but I can not think of a single referance for bascinets being painted.
the romance of alexander has plenty of examples. actually painted bascinets aren't especially hard to find in period art.
I noticed that, there's a lot of painted kettle halmets in there too.
Although they're shown a soild colour, rather than a design. (usualy red or blue)
I'd say painted helemts were much more common in period than they are in modern re-creation groups.
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

There are documents prohibiting the covering of bascinets before sale, and documenting the costs of covering bascinets with white leather. I would be hesitant to conclude that illustrations of red bascinets is proof of paint, as it could indicate velvet or leather instead.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
owen matthew
Archive Member

Post by owen matthew »

Great pictures, Irish, thank you!

I remember seeing what I think I recall was a kettle with a lion on it in blues and greens. It was almost like an impreza more than just painting. Does that ring any bells?
Sayer Prikehert
Archive Member
Location: Canton of Elvegast, Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia

Post by Sayer Prikehert »

That's it - when I get my kettle back from Hjalmr, I'm painting it! I really dig that red and white with stars...though it doesn't fit my or my knights arms. I'll think of something.
Sayer Prikehert
aka Steve McNamara

Squire to Sir Daemon Broussard, House Terra Tiburon

Per pale Argent and Gules, on a chief Sable, a key Or.
fghthty545y
Archive Member

Post by fghthty545y »

Ernst wrote:There are documents prohibiting the covering of bascinets before sale, and documenting the costs of covering bascinets with white leather. I would be hesitant to conclude that illustrations of red bascinets is proof of paint, as it could indicate velvet or leather instead.
That is interesting!
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

Baron Alcyoneus wrote:
Effingham wrote:You know, I really wish I had a time machine so I could go back in time and kick Bashford Dean and his like-minded buddies up the arse.
What for this time? ;)
Pretty much general principles. :)
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
Halbrust
Archive Member

Post by Halbrust »

I have aspangenhelm that I'll be painting. Painting the "plates" black and shining the cross frame.

Any evidence that this was done in period?
That's a good question!
Unfortunately I don't know the answer :sad:
Russ Mitchell
Archive Member

Post by Russ Mitchell »

Emma was painted white, and she was a mail shirt. I don't see why not.
No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

JoJo Zerach wrote:
Ernst wrote:There are documents prohibiting the covering of bascinets before sale, and documenting the costs of covering bascinets with white leather. I would be hesitant to conclude that illustrations of red bascinets is proof of paint, as it could indicate velvet or leather instead.
That is interesting!
That isn't because they thought it was wrong to cover helmets, or armor. It was a matter of quality control. You can hide a lot of defects with a good coat of paint, leather, or fabric. Rust, cracks, and other things.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America