Jout training in East Texas

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Sir Hugh de Heverly

Jout training in East Texas

Post by Sir Hugh de Heverly »

The Fellowship of the Four Winds Historical Society Joust Team is starting regular joust training in Troup, Texas (near Tyler). Practices will be held every Saturday with the exception of Competition Saturday (to be decided). This will be run similar to your normal riding club. There will be an anual membership fee and entry fees for competition. These fees will be used to provide prizes for competition including: cash prizes, trophies, armor and equipment, etc...

If you've ever ridden with a horse club you will recognize this format.

Jousting events we train for and compete in include but are not limited to:
-Ring Lancing
-Spear Throwing
-Quintain Hitting
-Saracen Heads
-Baston Dueling
-Shield Jousting (varying styles)
-Grand Guard Jousting (coming soon)

There will be light and heavy weight classes for the tilt, so don't be discouraged if your horse isn't a draft. Current cogins tests are required for all horses brought on site. Horseshoer on staff if needed. Code of Chivalry is in effect. No "talking down" about any other jousting organization will be allowed. Safety is paramount. We have a few loaner horses available for each weight class.

Trainers will include, but are not limited to, International Champion Dustin Stephens (Knight Master), Internationly ranked David Frey (Knight Captain), and the quintain killer Blake Miller (Knight Captain).

For more information, E-mail me at xenophondavid@hotmail.com
Sir Hugh de Heverly

update on practice times

We have been starting practice at 10:00 am, but are considering starting practices at 5:00pm to accomodate those who have a longer drive time and those that may work on Saturdays. We hope this will make it easier for people to attend.
"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil, cause I'm the baddest mother in the valley!"
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

Hey guys,

We going to see you at the Dragon's Lair World Championships this year?

I see that Dustin has nice, shiny, new armour - so, of course, I can't wait to put dents in it (LOL).

Glad to see you all are doing well and tell Dustin hi.
Lloyd Clark
RETIRED World Champion Professional Jouster
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Hugo de Stonham
Archive Member

Post by Hugo de Stonham »

My dreams have come true!!!! how much are the membership fees, and what are the requirements?

Grendal
Sir Hugh de Heverly

Annual membership fees are $25. Entry fees for competitions (to be held once a month) are $20. As I said before, these fees will go toward prizes at each competition.

Membership requirements:
-Be friendly and curtious.
-No drinking before or during an event.
-Respect other members and horses at all times.
-basic stuff like that.

Competition requirements:
-You must be a member in good standing to compete.
-You must be authorized by a Knight Captain or the Knight Master.
-----Authorization is basically that we make sure your armor is safe and meets the standards set down in the bylaws. Also, to tilt in a competition you must be authorized by passing at the rings. If you can't atleast knock a ring off the stands than you will not be authorized to tilt against a live opponent for safety reasons.
-You must wear period garb at all times during a competition.

That's pretty much it.
"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil, cause I'm the baddest mother in the valley!"
Sir Hugh de Heverly

Lloyd,

Great to hear from you. I didn't know you posted on here.

We thought that competition was invitation only, and none of us recieved an invitation, so we didn't schedule it in. Is it an open competition? If so, we would like to come next year.

Dustin said Hi.

I've got a bone to pick with you. Do you have any idea how long it to get my shield bent back into shape after that awesome blow at Estes last year :D . We had to drive over it with a pickup for 30 min. to get it shaped the first time and it was even harder this time. I thought 1/4 thick diamondplate would surely hold its shape in a joust. Guess I was wrong.

Are you going to be at Estes this year? As I understand it, the joust will be ran by that local riding club this time around. I can't wait to cross lances with you guys again. I think I learned more in that one weekend than I did in the year prior.

I've been training a new knight that will be competing up there this year. He's going to be tough. He's as accurate with a lance as I am and five times as powerful.

Keep in touch,
David
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

Give Shane a yell at shanton@dragonsvalour.com, he is limiting the field to 16 this year and last I heard they were still a couple short.

Sorry about the shield :oops: (no, not really...lol), you can blame it as much on the aluminum lance as on me.

Estes is the same weekend as the Western US Jousting Championships in Sonora, California. I really love Estes, but the money is pretty good in Cali and the tourney is full armour.

Glad you guys are getting students, I really want to see our sport grow and schools like yours will go a long way to getting it done. The armourers on this board should be happy as well, as we "don't Joust naked!" :twisted:

Talk to you soon,
Lloyd Clark
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

David,

I spoke with Shane and there are spots still open. You should contact Barb Leeson (leemerr@idirect.com) about competing as she is the tournament secretary (James Merrilees wife).

Hope you guys can make it - $25,000 is up for grabs and it will be run in elimination style. :twisted:

Talk to you soon.
Lloyd Clark
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Sir Hugh de Heverly

I'm glad to see there are so many people interested in our joust practices. We've had several inquiries, including many people right here in the Tyler area!!

Unfortunately, we have to cancel practices for the 22nd and 29th. Many of us will be out of state on the 22nd and we are planning on doing competitions at Steppes Warlord, in Canton, TX on the 29th. Practices will resume promptly at 5:00 on June 5. All those interested are welcome to come and participate or just watch.

Here are the simple directions to the Four Winds Faire site where we hold our practices in our new Jousting arena.

Finding Tyler is up to you.
Follow loup 323 south until you reach hwy 110S
Go south about for miles past Whitehouse.
There is a large metal building on the left that says CHALLENGER.
Turn right on the road just past that building.
Take the first right after that (about 1/4 mi.)
The road will Y. Follow it to the left.
Immediately after that you should see the fence on the left. You'll know it's the right fence when you see it.
Go in the first gate and straight accross the faire site to the arena. There are Three towers on one end of the arena and a list rail in the center. Park anywhere near that you like.

We can't wait to meet all of you!!!