Articulated Gorget Design?

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Kase Villand
Archive Member

Articulated Gorget Design?

Post by Kase Villand »

Greetings!

For any of you guys who have made a couple articulated gorgets, with multiple lames in the throat area, I have a few questions for you...

First: how many lames do you guys usually use?

Second: which direction to the lames overlap? Should they overlap the one above, or the one below? Or does it matter much? The only thing I can think of that would sway me one way or the other is the idea that a blade sliding up (possibly starting as a thrust to the chest, but deflecting upward off the breastplate) lodging underneath a lame and going from there into the throat. In my design, I plan on solid-riveting the bottom lame to the mantle-plate, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to build a stop-rib into it.

Third: Which edges should I certainly roll? I know the top edge must be at least flared out (I might try roping it if I feel adventurous...) but should it wouldn't be too hard to fold the bottom of each lame over a piece of wire, just to make 100% sure it wouldn't ever bite into the throat. This area above all I wouldn't mind exercising some extra caution, if it's un-necessary, it'd save me the trouble...

Thanks in advance!

Kase
Uilleag
Archive Member

Post by Uilleag »

Typically, I believe articulated gorgets had two neck lames. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)

The top lame, (the one nearest the chin), rides under the next lame and the bottom lame rides under the collar. Sort of a reverse shingle, for the reason you thought of.

The lames do not necessarily need to be rolled. As long as they are filed smooth so there are no rough or sharp edges, that should work just fine.
Uilleag
Thomas H
Archive Member

Post by Thomas H »

Two sounds right, at least from what i've seen. With a large (sometimes half open) roll on the top lame.

A nice technique of finishing edges that won't come into contact with you is to bevel the outside edge. Something i personally don't see on many modern pieces.

like this: http://www.allenantiques.com/images/A-25.jpg

That is a Munion from Wade Allens current collection AFAIK that clearly shows the overlapping and bevelled edge.
Jason Grimes
Archive Member

Post by Jason Grimes »

I have seen as few as one lame to as many as four lames. But by far the most popular that I have seen have been two or three lames. In general the higher the quality of the gorget the more lames it has. YMMV :)
Jason
Hew
Archive Member

Post by Hew »

Given the number of lames and type of articulation, this sounds a bit like like a job for "Compression Articulation Tutorial"! - http://www.carmelemanuel.com/Compression.htm

However, if my rapier gorget had even one lame, I'd be over the moon.
"It is a primitive form of thought that things exist or do not exist." - Sir Arthur Eddington
Kase Villand
Archive Member

Post by Kase Villand »

Thanks for the replies!

I wouldn't think compression articulation would work on the neck... I'd want it to flex to the sides as well as forward and backward. The leather backing at three points makes the most sense to me.

And thanks for the picture- the more, the better!

Kase