X-post: Lightbown "European Mediaeval Jewellery" r

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Caithlinn
Archive Member

X-post: Lightbown "European Mediaeval Jewellery" r

Post by Caithlinn »

Dear all,

I have contacted the V&A about a reprint of this book. It's been out of print for decades and it's almost the "bible" for medieval jewellery enthusiasts around the world. So many people are after a copy, that I thought it might be worthwhile finding out what the publisher thinks about a reprint.

Now, generally they are not against the idea, but there are a few things they said:

The book was and will be expensive. But seeing that the last available copy that I know of went for something ridiculous like $800 US, I would happily pay the £120 or £150 it cost originally - it's a great book and worth every penny (or cent or whathaveyou....)

They need to have a ballpark figure of how many people would be interested to buy it. If it is a close cut, those people might have to pledge themselves to buy it for it to be reprinted, if the number is overwhelming, they will probably not need to confirm every single buyer. Even though I know that there are several people who would love to have it, I also know that it's a different matter to actually "have" to buy it, once it's available. I have wanted it for ages, that's why I am doing this.

In any case, before anything happens, they need a number. I am asking for your help now, in finding out how many people there would possibly be, who would be interested in buying a copy, if it is reprinted. All you medieval jewellery people, if you want it, please let me know or if you know someone who wants it, could you let them all know about it and tell them to let me know, too?

If you could pass this on to as many people you know who might be interested or any groups you think might be interested as well, it would help a lot and I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone,

Caithlinn
Plus faict douceur que violenz
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

Caithlinn, do you have a preferred email address that I can post with your request to SCA-centric lists? I can think of a number of folks who will probably want to contact you and get on your list, but who do not read the Armour Archive.

-Tasha
Blaine de Navarre
Archive Member

Post by Blaine de Navarre »

Put me down for a copy.
Blaine de Navarre
in temperantiam temeritas
in vapulationem veritas
Caithlinn
Archive Member

Post by Caithlinn »

Tasha,

They can email me under:

caithlinn at hotmail dot com

Cheers everyone,

Caithlinn
Plus faict douceur que violenz
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

Oky-doky! I'm going to post your request around to interested types in my neck of the woods.

-Tasha
Raoghnailt

Lightbown "European Mediaeval Jewellery"

Post by Raoghnailt »

Count me in for multiple copies. Not many libraries will ILL a book that costs so much.

Raoghnailt (Artemisia)
chef de chambre
Archive Member

Post by chef de chambre »

That is something that I and my wife would be interested in, although the original price is towards the dear end of what we are willing to spend for a peripheral interest.