Maciejowski Pouch/Purse

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

William of Otterton
Archive Member

Maciejowski Pouch/Purse

Post by William of Otterton »

After some looking for images and actual remnants of pouches, I've attempted to make a purse/pouch found in the Maciejowski Bible.

Even with some of the most excellent resources of many websites, I haven't been able to find an actual remant. Thus, I've approximated some of the design off of the image above. I've made this one out of a 5oz leather all through, sewn inside and turned. I'm not happy with the stitching yet, and will do another version with a stronger stitch.

I'm at a loss, however, for what to use to hold the flap down. It appears to have small tassels on the bottom corners and middle of the purse itself, along with some similar tassels hanging off the top flap. I thought of perhaps getting some pilgrim style brooches and sewing them on.

Any other suggestions, critiques or comments?

Thanks,
Griffin
Jehan de Pelham
Archive Member

Post by Jehan de Pelham »

Weights?

John
Jehan de Pelham, esquire and servant of Sir Vitus
www.mron.org
He who does not give what he has will not get what he wants.
Karen Larsdatter
Archive Member

Re: Maciejowski Pouch/Purse

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

We use a slightly later style of scrip (more rectangular than the Maciejowski trapezoid-shaped satchel) -- but the flap tends to stay down once it's down -- no weights or mechanical foofarah necessary. I don't know if it's a factor of the different shape, or if it has to do with the different materials (canvas-weight fabric); maybe a lighter-weight leather (or at least a more flexible leather) would help?

Did you see the instructions at http://www.tempora-nostra.de/gewandung/tasche.shtml ?

This 14th century illustration (a traveller and the patron saints of travel in John of Berry's Petites Heures) does show pilgrim-badges mounted to the flap, so that'd be an option too.
Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Post by Oswyn_de_Wulferton »

I have a modern day version made out of a heavy canvas like substance (messenger bag) and it stays down just fine. Maybe you could just work out the bend to start so it tends to stay curled? It looks like the tassels are on the bottom of the pouch instead of the flap though.
Westerners, we have forgotten our origins. We speak all the diverse languages of the country in turn. Indeed the man who was poor at home attains opulence here; he who had no more than a few deiners, finds himself master of a fourtune.
Kel Rekuta
Archive Member

Post by Kel Rekuta »

Or you might sew another layer of this leather under the flap to reinforce it. The added weight and stiffness would make the flap hang very pleasantly. It also reduces wear and tear on the bottom edge from opening and closing it frequently.

BTW. good job on this. Too many people, myself included, put metal clasps and closures on this kind of bag. Kudos for resisting the temptation. Simple is better for a utilitarian item like this. 8)
Ivo
Archive Member

Post by Ivo »

On my belt purse I have a flap about the size of the front panel. Since I screwed up the closure strap and buckle, I cut it away and never replaced it so far. never lost anything as it is.
Sworn Member of The Order of Evil Authenticists and Secret Wisdom (Acolyte)
cristofre fortescu
Archive Member

Post by cristofre fortescu »

Here is somewhat of an interpretation that Sir Camric made a while back.
I tried to make the picture bigger but can't. Here is a link: http://community.webshots.com/photo/176 ... 2893CReToY

I have made a couple along the same style. His, like mine, are held closed by leather cord wrapped around either a large glass bead or button underneath the flap. The one I made for me and for my wife, I have lengthened two cords to extend well below the flap and wrap around a piece of antler that can be seen. I have several glass, metal, and bone beads hanging from the cords for decoration and because of the extra weight it gives the flap, I hardly ever have to wrap the cords around the antler. But, my wife and I are going for an earlier look.

C
Attachments
Bag.jpg
Bag.jpg (1.07 KiB) Viewed 242 times
William of Otterton
Archive Member

Re: Maciejowski Pouch/Purse

Post by William of Otterton »

Karen Larsdatter wrote:
Did you see the instructions at http://www.tempora-nostra.de/gewandung/tasche.shtml ?
That's an awesome site. Thanks for the tip for it. I may try another version in wool and linen just for kicks (and besides... I don't sew fabric very well by comparison to leather)

I think that I'm going to sew on my badge onto the flap with a contrasting leather to both add a bit of flare to it, and to give it a bit of weight to keep it closed. It easily fits my wallet, cell phone and key so I can keep them close by and out of site too.

Thanks for all the comments.
GdS
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Here's one I made from an imported hand-crafted bag by a bit of modification:
Attachments
WovenHaversack.jpg
WovenHaversack.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 161 times
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »