Flat Topped Kite Shields

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Flat Topped Kite Shields

Post by Oswyn_de_Wulferton »

Hey all, I was wondering where I might be able to find more information on the flat topped kite shield. The "research" I have seen seems to indicate they were a hybrid as the heater started to become more developed (kind of like a proto-heater). I am attempting to slowly recreate a 12th century Crusader, and I have heard that the flat topped style was starting to be developed around this time. Searching around the internet, it gets a bit hard to find extant examples in period art, and sites that look reliable. Also, I have heard that earmines (sp?) are accurate for a portrayal of this kind. Any information or pictures would be wonderful. Thank you very much.

PS. (If earmines aren't legal for SCA, is there any easy way to make something look like them? Thanks.)
Westerners, we have forgotten our origins. We speak all the diverse languages of the country in turn. Indeed the man who was poor at home attains opulence here; he who had no more than a few deiners, finds himself master of a fourtune.
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Alcyoneus »

Yes, kites had their rounded tops cut off, and I believe you have the date app. correct. One of these does exist, and it was made, and modified later, because the lion is (I think) missing a little of it's head.
My 10yo daughter says I'm pretty!

Squire to Jarl Asgeirr Gunnarson, Barony of Vatavia, Calontir
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

There are quite a few contemporary pics - if you know where to look. The Aberdeen Bestiary - English about 1200 - has two illustrations with them in - see the Bonnacon and the Tiger links.

Then there is the Hortus Deliciarum produced in Alsace, on what is now the French-German border in the late 12th century. The text on this link is in French, but there is an English version at http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... en%26lr%3D - unfortunately the links to the pics don't seem to work for the English version. Care needs to be taken with this one, because it is a 19th century copy - the original was lost in a fire.

Both round and flat-topped kites appear in Peter of Eboli's Liber ad Honorem Augusti - produced in Italy about 1195.

Then there are the ones I've attached below. In fact, there are plenty of representations - it's just a matter of finding them.
Attachments
The Martyrdom of Thomas Becket - late 12th century, English
The Martyrdom of Thomas Becket - late 12th century, English
Becket2.JPG (67.72 KiB) Viewed 4949 times
A map of the world from about 1170, with Jerusalem at the centre (naturally!). Not sure where this was produced.
A map of the world from about 1170, with Jerusalem at the centre (naturally!). Not sure where this was produced.
Jerusalem 1170.JPG (45.24 KiB) Viewed 4949 times
Late 12th century - "May", from a calendar produced in Vieux-Pouzages, in France.
Late 12th century - "May", from a calendar produced in Vieux-Pouzages, in France.
Vieux-Pouzages.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 4949 times
Egfroth

It's not really armour if you haven't bled on it.
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Some more flat-topped kite shields.
Attachments
A late 12th century statue of Roland. Unfortunately I don't have the reference, but I think this one is in Italy. It's in AAMK - does anyone have the reference?
A late 12th century statue of Roland. Unfortunately I don't have the reference, but I think this one is in Italy. It's in AAMK - does anyone have the reference?
RolandOneChausse2.JPG (33.14 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
From the "Porta Romana" (Rome Gate) in Milan - late 12th century. Both kinds of kites.
From the "Porta Romana" (Rome Gate) in Milan - late 12th century. Both kinds of kites.
Scale Porta Romana Milan2.JPG (65.54 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
From San Zeno Maggiore church in Verona (Italy), 1139.
From San Zeno Maggiore church in Verona (Italy), 1139.
San Zeno Maggiore Verona 1139.JPG (66.3 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And yet more flat-topped kites.
Attachments
Like it says in the title.
Like it says in the title.
Goliath MS. Nero C. iv, about 1125, British Museum.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Late 12th century, from the same Templar chapel.
Late 12th century, from the same Templar chapel.
Templar1.JPG (90.15 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
12th century mural from a chapel in a Templar monastery in Cressac, Charente (France)
12th century mural from a chapel in a Templar monastery in Cressac, Charente (France)
Templar Chapel, Cressac, Charente2.JPG (76.17 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And still more . . .

Oh, and there's a mid-12th century representation of Geoffrey of Anjou (the founder of the Plantagenet family) here
Attachments
The dream of King Henry I - from a manuscript of the mid 12th century.
The dream of King Henry I - from a manuscript of the mid 12th century.
Henry 1 Dream.jpg (38.93 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
C. 1200 depiction of the Battle of Lincoln, from the Chronicle of Henry of Huntingdon British Library Arundel MS 48, f. 168v.
C. 1200 depiction of the Battle of Lincoln, from the Chronicle of Henry of Huntingdon British Library Arundel MS 48, f. 168v.
King Stephen.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
From the cloister of the church of Monreale in Messina (Sicily)
From the cloister of the church of Monreale in Messina (Sicily)
knights Monreale Cloister Messina.jpg (24.12 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And here's the shield mentioned by Alcyoneus above - it's known as the "Seedorf" shield, and it's pretty obviously been cut down from a round-topped kite.

Hope this is of help.

PS: What are "earmines"?
Attachments
The Seedorf shield. Mid-late 12th century. Seedorf, Germany.
The Seedorf shield. Mid-late 12th century. Seedorf, Germany.
Seedorf2.JPG (31.2 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Egfroth

white mountain armoury
Archive Member

Post by white mountain armoury »

Holy smoke Eg, lots of excellent pics.
As to Ermines, i can only think of the little critter
I prefer kittens
Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Hey Egfroth, thanks for all the pics. It looks like it was a late 12th century invention, which is really close to what time I am considering. It was something I heard about, and actually my current shield is really close to the same look as those. I thought my last heater was a bit squat and pudgy at the bottom, so I decided to start the curve about halfway down. Sorry about the bad spelling about the straps. Its supposed to be enarmes (aka the straps that hold the sheild to your arm).
Westerners, we have forgotten our origins. We speak all the diverse languages of the country in turn. Indeed the man who was poor at home attains opulence here; he who had no more than a few deiners, finds himself master of a fourtune.
Geoffrey of Blesedale
Archive Member

Post by Geoffrey of Blesedale »

Who says that enarmes are not SCA legal? You just need proper hand protection, such as a full gauntlet.
Geoffrey of Blesedale

Traveling East, Searching for That Which Is Lost
"vincit qui se vincit"
He conquers who conquers himself.
brunoG
Archive Member

Post by brunoG »

Egfroth wrote:Some more flat-topped kite shields.
The "Roland" is also from the San Zeno MAggiore Duomo of Verona, it is carved onto a semi-column of the main doorway.

There are two of such bas-reliefs, the other depicts another warrior with a polearm, I lost both the pics I took when I visited the church.
Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Geoffrey, I was not sure whether enarmes are legal or not for SCA. I was really wondering if anyone had used them in SCA combat and any adjustments that had to be made for the type of fighting we do (safety or otherwise). Thanks.
Corby de la Flamme
Archive Member

Kite to Heater Transitional Shields in use

Post by Corby de la Flamme »

My persona moves forward through time, staying 800 years ago today. So over time I've moved from something very kite-like to something more heater-like.

Here are two pictures of what was probably the best example of that effect that I had. This shield was made by the amazing Baron Reynard of Lochmere, a professional woodworker/yacht builder who uses marine grade plywood, West Systems epoxy, and in the case of this shield, edge reinforcement of carbon fiber. He made this shield about 8 years ago, and it lasted a good 4 years of use, even after I cut some wood out of the back because back then, his shields were very heavy.

My new one isn't!

Anyway, two pics from Atlantian Crown Tourney, Nov 2003:

As an experiment, Reynard is also very graciously making me a shield with what I think will have the deepest curve on any SCA shield anywhere--when sitting on its "back" with its face up, the inside top of the curve will be 8 3/4" from the ground. I'm going for the wrap around effect seen in 12-13th century illustrations like some of those above in this very thread.

I'll post some pics of that when I get it.

And enarmes--if you mean using straps for a handle, there's no problem with that in SCA use. You just need that hard protection mentioned by Oswyn. I've actually found myself able to grab the pommel of a few swords using my shield hand, still inside the shield straps. Ask Sir Sinclair.

If you mean the strap that goes over the shoulder, that's technically called a guige I believe, and it is legal too, as long as you aren't using it during the fight to control or hold up your shield. That makes your shield magically become armor. But they're handy for hauling the shield around.
Baron Corby de la Flamme, Knight of Atlantia
House de la Flamme
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude." -- Oscar Wilde
Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Thanks for the info. My shield has a bit more of a straight edge and then curve, but looking at building a new one anyway, so it might be something to try. I would love to see the pics once the deep shield is done, as well as how he managed to get that deep of a curve. I always liked the idea of making a DEEP war shield that covers from my chin to the ground (or around my shins). Can you point me in the direction of the guige being "armour" for shields? I know a couple of people who use them for bigger shields like scutums and such.

On the statue of Roland carved on the column, what is the guard wearing on his hand and the leg closest to us? I can see that there is a maille chausse on the other leg, anyone know why he only has one leg armoured? I think that I will start using something like that as a drive to work towards instead of trying to work around the Mac Bible (and finding full images of people in Conicals). Thanks all.
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

OswynHaddock wrote:It looks like it was a late 12th century invention, which is really close to what time I am considering.
Actually, it first appears in the first half of the 12th century, but was certainly very commonly in use by the end of the century.
On the statue of Roland carved on the column, what is the guard wearing on his hand
Nothing (!)
and the leg closest to us?
Presumably woollen hose and a shoe.

I can see that there is a maille chausse on the other leg, anyone know why he only has one leg armoured?
We can only suppose, but the shield leg would commonly be the one "out the front", and therefore most likely to be hit - at least in infantry combat. On horseback, presumably it would still be the most vulnerable side . . If you could only affiord a limited amount of mail, that's the leg I'd be armouring.
Egfroth

Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Thanks for the info. I was asking about the armour on the hand as it looks like there is a glove over the maille that extends just past the elbow. Wasnt sure if there were greaves or just woolen chausses. I stll am not sure exactly when in the 12th century I am planning on being, so it is nice to know they were in use from the early parts on. What exactly do you mean by "out in front"? I would think that either leg would be vulnerable to attack.
Thaddeus
Archive Member

Post by Thaddeus »

It's actually the sleeve of the tunic worn under the mail. The hand is bare. the picture in AAoMK is a bit clearer. Eg would you have a larger version of that pic from the cloisters?
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Thaddeus wrote:It's actually the sleeve of the tunic worn under the mail. The hand is bare. the picture in AAoMK is a bit clearer. Eg would you have a larger version of that pic from the cloisters?
Yes, that's right. The sleeve is pushed up the arm a' la Michael Jackson.

Sorry Thaddeus, that's the best copy I have, though I've seen better copies of some individual figures from this pic.
Egfroth

Corby de la Flamme
Archive Member

One issue of vanity and display to consider

OswynHaddock wrote: I stll am not sure exactly when in the 12th century I am planning on being, so it is nice to know they were in use from the early parts on.
Here's something you may not have thought of.

If you like to display heraldry, then doing so with a kit prior to the 2nd crusade is incorrect. That includes heraldry on your shield, unless your heraldry is "generic" enough to pass for the sort of random stuff you see painted on shields prior to the codification of heraldry. In chronicles of the 1st crusade, no one's heraldry is mentioned. In the second, the kings' heraldry gets described, and by the third, every nobleman's arms get listed.

Heraldry caught on fast in a big way in the 12th century--in 1130 no noble had it and in 1190 every noble did.

Also, the earliest I've been able to document a real "coat of arms"--a surcoat with the entire arms of a nobleman on them as the single large display on the surcoat--is somewhere around 1230, maybe 1215.

So, if any of that display is important to you, pick your time carefully.

That's why my arms are on my shield, but only a reference to them appears on my (and most of my squires') surcoats.

(Yes, I'm aware we see 12th century heraldic surcoats on templars and other fighting orders, and perhaps some folks involved with the King of Jerusalem. That's not the same as personal heraldry.)

By the way, I'd love to be wrong about this, so if anyone can point me to a picture of someone wearing a real coat-of-arms prior to 1230, I'd be one happy norman.

By the same token, anyone who can show me documentation for hard leg protection prior to 1215 or so would also earn my gratitude.
House de la Flamme
Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Thank for the info about the heraldry. I was thinking of the later half of the 12th century (just past the second crusade, but before Jerusalem fell) so heraldry on my shield at least would be explainable. I was thinking that one of the tabards with the Jerusalem COA would be pretty cool, but was it reserved heraldry, or were members of the "Jerusalem Guard/Marshallette" allowed to wear it too (not sure of the proper title there)? How early were ailettes seen? That would seem like a personal heraldry thing as well.

Also, Eg, would you happen to have a full picture of that map that you posted the small part of eariler in this thread, or info where I could find the whole thing? I have an idea formulating in my head. Thanks.
Corby de la Flamme
Archive Member

OswynHaddock wrote: I was thinking that one of the tabards with the Jerusalem COA would be pretty cool, but was it reserved heraldry, or were members of the "Jerusalem Guard/Marshallette" allowed to wear it too (not sure of the proper title there)? How early were ailettes seen? That would seem like a personal heraldry thing as well.
I've got no idea about the appropriateness of the use of the Jerusalem arms. Ask BdeB, I think he has them tattooed on his body somewhere.

The earliest I've seen ailettes is about 1230, but then I haven't gone looking for the earliest use of them.
House de la Flamme
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

:roll: :lol:

No tattoos on me Corby, though I have often wondered what I would look like with a tattoo of my face, on my face. :twisted:

To answer the question, what are you trying to portray, that is what I would ask you? I have to speek in general terms, since I don't know this for 100% certain (and I don't have time to look it up), but i'd say it was doubtful that common foot solider, sergant, or knight would have the entire coat of arms of the Kingdom on thier surcoat. (Maybe, MAYBE! if they were royal household guards.)

I think it far more likely that they had some heraldric livery element on there, like a badge. Even more likely, they had nothing. While surcoats were developed in the east, and more knights had them there, eariler than in say, France, the likehood for the common solidery is that they didn't have them.

Now badges on shields are another story. Sheilds were certainly carrying simple heraldic charges (check out your Osprey books) denoting 'ownership' to a particular lord or regilous house.

The sad truth is that if you are looking for something for the SCA, just paint your arms on your shield. Too many things wrong from the get go...
"I think you're wrong in your understanding of fighting.... though what you have written is very manly, it does not convey a real sense of clue...." - Sir Christian The German
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Corby,

See the attachment for surcoats which at least reflect the colour scheme of the shield, even if they don't have the actual "coat of arms" on them. It's from the Winchester Bible - English, some time about 1170 (though the details to me suggest somewhat later).

Oswyn,

Sorry, mate. I got it from a book on the Crusades, and the attached information is all I have. It MAY have been one of Stephen Ruciman's Crusades series, or perhaps one by Ernle Bradford. But eirher way , IIRC it was published at the latest in the 1960's, so that edition would be hard to get hold of easily.
Attachments
WinchesterBible2.JPG
WinchesterBible2.JPG (57.69 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
Egfroth

brunoG
Archive Member

Post by brunoG »

historical enarmes sets
Attachments
enarmes_hist.png
enarmes_hist.png (86.4 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
brunoG
Archive Member

Post by brunoG »

the knight of Santa Giustina (Padova a.k.a. Padua)
Attachments
santaGiustina.jpg
santaGiustina.jpg (84.95 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Corby de la Flamme
Archive Member

Winchester Bible

Thanks Egfroth,

Illustrations like that are the sort of documentation I've already used for the heraldry I wear. I've also got some examples of the main charge being referenced on the surcoat.

Lucky me, my loving wife got me a copy of Oakshott's The Two Winchester Bibles, a gigantic oversized folio that reproduces all the best illuminations from those works full size. Strangely enough, if you really want to do some Norman research, that expensive book is available through interlibrary loan, even though it was an edition of only 1000.

In The Two Winchester Bibles there's even a line illo that I swear looks like a 12th c. Norman man wearing a tight fitted button sleeve!
House de la Flamme
brunoG
Archive Member

Post by brunoG »

the verona's warrior from another angle (fresh pic)
Attachments
guerriero-sanzeno-1.jpg
guerriero-sanzeno-1.jpg (87.01 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Glen K
Archive Member

Post by Glen K »

Corby is cool because he has an awesome-looking SCA kit. When I'm Matt's squire, that's how I'm gonna look.

On another note, I wonder: has anyone made/used a shield with such an extreme curve in it as is shown in many of the 12th century illustrations, the ones that look like a comlete half-cylinder? I'd be interested to know if that is a practical or impractical type of defense, to whit was the illustrator exaggerating the curve to get the point across or is it (rather, could it be) an accurate representation???
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

I'd love to read this thread, but Egfroth, that hugely long URL you posted makes it run off the screen.

Could you PLEASE use http://www.tinyurl.com if you're going to post a URL that long?

Effingham
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
Corby de la Flamme
Archive Member

Glen,

First, thanks for your compliment.

Second, I actually have a deeeeeep curved shield in the works, courtesy of Baron Reynard, an astonishingly accomplished wood worker, boatwright and bender of wood.

Its design is for its back center edge to be 8" from the floor when laying on the floor face up.

I really want to try it, but I think I may be the worst possible choice for a shield of this size, since I typically fight with a more open shield than anyone, period.
House de la Flamme
Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Let us know how it works out. Any chance this friend of yours will take commissions for really deep shields (seeing a war flat-topped kite the approximate length of an SCA scutum, and being able to actually get that full wrap around effect)?
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Effingham wrote:I'd love to read this thread, but Egfroth, that hugely long URL you posted makes it run off the screen.

Could you PLEASE use http://www.tinyurl.com if you're going to post a URL that long?

Effingham
Sorry, mate. The site is here. But thanks for the tinyurl address. I'll put it in my favourites for future use.

Unfortunately, the links on the translated version don't work. You have to use the French version if you want to see the nice piccies close up. And I don't know how to get the links to translate (OK for me, I guess - I can read French, but no good for people who can't). Maybe Babelfish would help?
Egfroth

Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

Egfroth:

You mean like this: http://tinyurl.com/zhppc ?

It works, mate. Just put the whole URL in.

Effingham
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
BdeB
Line-Stepper

Post by BdeB »

Corby de la Flamme wrote: I really want to try it, but I think I may be the worst possible choice for a shield of this size, since I typically fight with a more open shield than anyone, period.
I'm still perfectly willing to take it off your hands. :twisted:

Then I could look like this (see attachment)

well without the porn stache and hippy hair....
Attachments
Curved shield
Curved shield
backtest.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
"I think you're wrong in your understanding of fighting.... though what you have written is very manly, it does not convey a real sense of clue...." - Sir Christian The German
Glen K
Archive Member

Post by Glen K »

Glen,

First, thanks for your compliment.
Heck, I mean it! As a matter of fact, the Crusader outfit that I halfway got done looks almost identical to yours, down to the color scheme! You'rs looks way cooler than mine ever did, though. I've been meaning to redo my shield and get a comlete set of mail, probably butted (since I've spent all I want to/can on the riveted stuff for my 11th century impression).
I really want to try it, but I think I may be the worst possible choice for a shield of this size, since I typically fight with a more open shield than anyone, period.
Well definitely keep me up to date on that, because I'm really interested to know the dynamics of that shield in a (quasi) combat situation.